Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

9 hours ago, THUJONE said:

We have a coach who isn't an overt fucker, who understands things like context in terms of play calling, and playing the best players. Listening to him answer questions is a goddamned breath of fresh air. I can't remember another time in the last 15 years that I watched our first game and marveled at how prepared we were. 

There was a play where Brewer was out wide with another WR and we threw a screen….to the WR and Brewer blocked. We got around 7-8 yards. 
With Herman, thats a 2 yard loss with the pass going to Brewer and a 170 lb WR lead blocking on the screen. 
Probably half of Herman’s “bad calls” weren’t the call itself, but the personnel. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The last time I felt like that was when Muschamp was calling plays. Teams would come back and try to run the same looks only to have Will's group eat them alive. His group dictated the playcalling on the other side, and baited you into running what they wanted you to so they could take advantage. I know it was only one game, but that's what I saw out there. I saw a coaching staff that baited their opponent into running looks only to shift into something to take advantage of it. We were not particularly great at anything, but we were prepared and showed competence across the board. Here is to hoping that's what this will be on a weekly basis. You can win a lot of games just by not beating yourself with stupidity. 

I was reading the Ragin Pagin board and what they were bitching about leads me to believe Pete K took away their bread and butter run game and limited Levi L’s playmaking by keeping him in the pocket as well as confused him.
  • Hook 'Em 3

In addition to the OL struggling to protect our QB, at times the TEXAS pass rush did not get much pressure on UL.   

That was likely by design to keep a dynamic scrambler in the pocket. From reading their boards in addition to being a scrambler he is a rollout passer( likely height related) that was kept from rolling out.
  • Hook 'Em 2

So that report over the Summer along the lines of:  'there is a talented player who hasn't really done anything, but is acting like a top draft pick already' at first sounded like JTS, but has to be Alfred Collins, right? 

Gerry's comment on IT + him not getting any snaps is my evidence. Both reports might be bullshit, but him not getting snaps is certainly weird. 

Texas is about to go on a perfect storm roll.  Baylor, TCU, Okie State, and Kansas are warmed over ass that played shitty opening games against some really bad teams.  West Virginia managed to lose to Maryland.  Kansas State beat Stanford and Tech beat Houston so they may have a pulse.  ISU struggled against Northern Iowa and OU barely escaped Tulane.  Louisiana is a more experienced and more disciplined team that any teams that our irate 8 buds played this week except maybe for Stanford.  Sark and PK got this.  Fat Pat, Mullet Man and the rest need to prepare their asses.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

There was a play where Brewer was out wide with another WR and we threw a screen….to the WR and Brewer blocked. We got around 7-8 yards. 
With Herman, thats a 2 yard loss with the pass going to Brewer and a 170 lb WR lead blocking on the screen. 
Probably half of Herman’s “bad calls” weren’t the call itself, but the personnel. 

Yeah I actually really liked his aggressiveness in when you go for it. He just almost always picked really stupid plays. 
Doesn’t feel like any of that will be a problem for Sark. 

First, let me say that was the most enjoyable football I have watched in maybe ten years. It was just such a relief, so refreshing to see a normal offence in Texas Longhorn uniforms. 

You guys can tear my theory to pieces and piss on it - as is your custom, but I believe the first drive was a message. The first drive is often scripted. Maybe it was a hat tip to Greg Davis/Jeff Beck/all the Other A-holes, maybe it was a shout out to the malcontents on sites like this, or an inside to the coaching comunity. I just don't believe it was a coincidence that he ran the Trifecta of bad play calling made famous by our last 8 offensive coordinators. The unblocked screen, the wasted run into the center's ass, and of course the desperate bomb down the sidelines. Good one Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

You guys can tear my theory to pieces and piss on it - as is your custom, but I believe the first drive was a message. The first drive is often scripted. Maybe it was a hat tip to Greg Davis/Jeff Beck/all the Other A-holes, maybe it was a shout out to the malcontents on sites like this, or an inside to the coaching comunity. I just don't believe it was a coincidence that he ran the Trifecta of bad play calling made famous by our last 8 offensive coordinators. The unblocked screen, the wasted run into the center's ass, and of course the desperate bomb down the sidelines. Good one Sark.

Username ✔✔

15 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I was reading the Ragin Pagin board and what they were bitching about leads me to believe Pete K took away their bread and butter run game and limited Levi L’s playmaking by keeping him in the pocket as well as confused him.

15 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

That was likely by design to keep a dynamic scrambler in the pocket. From reading their boards in addition to being a scrambler he is a rollout passer( likely height related) that was kept from rolling out.

He had one run where the announcers said that this was his strength. I hadn't bothered to know much in detail about Louisiana beyond the number of returning starters and the reputation of their coach.

I forced myself to not just follow the ball and concentrate on our rush. It appeared to be exactly as you say. Time after time the DL maintained the pocket around the QB with great discipline. They'd push the pocket in, keeping the lanes closed.

Discipline. Position. Patience.

That bodes well for playing teams in our conference who are creative offensively with more weapons.

I'm more elated now than after Notre Dame. I'm the optimistic fan who looks for things to like and has to be forced to face the realities of things that don't.

Even in optimism, I was uneasy about the QB and had been forced to face the reality of how often our offense looked like they were running a play for the first time. The defense seemed to be comprised mainly of one-on-one battles with a lot of doubt the further away from the line of scrimmage you got.

We haven't played in a way to instill confidence. Herman made every game so frustrating. 

Discipline. Position. Patience.

And all gas, no brakes, motherfuckers.

Edited by RomaVicta
Jeez. Coherence is a problem this morning. Times two.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

First, let me say that was the most enjoyable football I have watched in maybe ten years. It was just such a relief, so refreshing to see a normal offence in Texas Longhorn uniforms. 

Yep. We wanted to throw away the first series as tribute to the previous dipshits. That’s what smart football coaches do.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sark continuing his domination as a play-caller. This is absurd - look at the opponents for the teams behind us. 

Never heard of EPA (Extra Points Added) until your post. Thanks (I miss that form of rep).

I'm not heavy into statistics, but that's a very interesting one. 

For anyone similarly ignorant, here's EPA explained.

If I'm not mistaken, it's essentially a way to measure actual performance against average (mean?) expected performance. Faxinating. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Another small thing that I haven’t seen mentioned but shows we are in much better hands:

After going at a methodical, deliberate offensive tempo for the whole game, in the 2Q (I think?) we complete a pass for a first down and hit them with a really fast hurry-up out of nowhere. Fast enough the broadcast is caught off guard and doesn’t even get back in time from the replay to show it. Anyway, the play doesn’t do much but we do catch them with 12 men on the field/illegal sub. Got a free play, a 1st and 5, and throws their defense a bit off-balance knowing we can do that. 

So nice to see a smart, strategic use of something rather than just “going fast” for the sake of it without any thought behind it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, Bushwood said:

When saw Sark on the sidelines, it looked like he was thinking / assessing the field and the next play, especially with his clipboard.

I really appreciated that. Unlike Charlie looking like a deer in the highlights or Tom looking like scare as shit.

On the rewatch last night, it seemed like he was sitting somewhere on a bench when he called the walk in keeper for Card. That was pretty crazy. He was listening to the guys in the booth and it looked like he was nowhere near the sideline. 

53 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Another small thing that I haven’t seen mentioned but shows we are in much better hands:

After going at a methodical, deliberate offensive tempo for the whole game, in the 2Q (I think?) we complete a pass for a first down and hit them with a really fast hurry-up out of nowhere. Fast enough the broadcast is caught off guard and doesn’t even get back in time from the replay to show it. Anyway, the play doesn’t do much but we do catch them with 12 men on the field/illegal sub. Got a free play, a 1st and 5, and throws their defense a bit off-balance knowing we can do that. 

So nice to see a smart, strategic use of something rather than just “going fast” for the sake of it without any thought behind it. 

Yeah, we caught them a few times. It’s really smart by Sark. We never huddle so we can run tempo when they try to sub and get a free play, but we generally play at a slow pace so we can still control the game and TOP while not letting them sub. It’s the best of both worlds. It’s almost like this Sark guy knows what he’s doing. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

IT Scoop:

TEAM 

The win over No. 23 Louisiana on Saturday resonated throughout the building on Sunday. There's increased trust going both ways from the players to the staff and staff towards the players. They feel like they did what they needed to do against a solid Ragin' Cajuns squad.

The staff was happy to see the team is as deep as the coaches thought throughout August.

When asked about lack of pass rush from the defensive line a source responded, ”the goal for the day was to keep him in the pocket first and foremost and let the DB’s cover their guys.” Expect that to be the goal against Arkansas as well.

Sunday was a “voluntary” active recovery day with treatment, stretching, and light running. Today the team will lift, have meetings, and then a short practice. Tuesday and Wednesday are the more intense days of practice.

DL Alfred Collins: There’s been some curiosity over why the talented sophomore hardly played even as the coaches went deep into the depth chart. All we can gather is it was ‘coaches decision’ and Collins isn’t in the dog house. We aren’t hearing of any acrimony between the two parties and we expect him to play much more on Saturday. It’s very likely he was told by the coaches he should have played more and they’ll rework their rotations going forward.

The situation isn’t entirely surprising given recent information. Even when he moved to Jack, we heard Jett Bush was still ahead of him and we even had Bush ahead of him on the depth chart.

That isn’t to say it isn’t overall surprising the most genuinely talented defensive lineman on the roster isn’t playing more regardless of the position. It’ll work out. Nothing to worry about at this time. Alfred isn’t an emotional, knee-jerk sort of young man.

Injuries: We’re still waiting on details regarding right guard Junior Angilau. He was on crutches on Sunday. We don’t want to speculate but early returns are somewhat optimistic. Left tackle Christian Jones was in a boot, which may not mean all that much. Texas trainers put people in boots almost as much as Texas parking enforcement. Tight end Jared Wiley is on the mend. It was feared he might have a torn pectoral muscle but it’s just strained. This is in addition to his shoulder ailment. The staff may have to force him to sit out to get ready for conference play. We’ll see how that plays out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, EZ$ said:

With post-Colt GDGD that call would have been to the 170-lb receiver being double press-covered, no blocker, and a loss of 4.

But at least the QB would have had the confidence-builder of ‘completing a pass’…

On 9/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Their QB was definitely confused and limited. After all the hype, he wasn’t terribly effective and his best throws were check downs

Just caught the Monday presser.
Holy shit it is so refreshing not having some snake oil con man nervously guzzle 4 liters of Aquafina while he stumbles through his puddle of bullshit.
Sark may not have the horses to get us there yet, but I don’t think he’s going to put out a shit product then make lame ass excuses.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:44 PM, victory88 said:

DEFENSE:  PK and these boys completely punked the ragin Cajuns.  Napier is a damn good coach.  We contained a mobile quarterback, did not let them convert 3rd downs, and shut down their running game.  When was the last time we could say that?

This is what has me excited about the coaching staff.  That defense looked confusing as fuck.  And contained is an understatement.  Aside from the one scramble, Lewis didn't have time to think run.  Bringing only 3 or 4 each play and still getting pressure while having a no fly zone behind it seems like a foreign concept after the previous 4 DCs.  Oh yeah, and we've got a walk on looking like an all conference LB.

Can't wait to see the stat line after Saturday going against a team that's (for the most part) one dimensional. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?