Dog breed differences

Not exactly sure where you are going with this, but I taught my golden retriever to sit, shake, and lay down in about 5 minutes. In minute 6 as soon as I so much as looked at him he would sit, then shake, then lay down before I could even say a word. He was an asshole, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our porch has pretty large gaps between the 2 x6 deck boards. Black lab mix knows that if he sits a half eaten biscuit treat down, it might fall through the cracks, so he sits it down on the welcome mat. Took him about twice to figure it out. Terrier mix loses half her treat every damn time sitting it down so that it falls through a crack. In about 8 years, she still hasn't figured it out.

But the terrier is a stone cold killer- rabbits, skunks, squirrels, even birds. Lab couldn't catch his ass if you gave him a head start.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Our porch has pretty large gaps between the 2 x6 deck boards. Black lab mix knows that if he sits a half eaten biscuit treat down, it might fall through the cracks, so he sits it down on the welcome mat. Took him about twice to figure it out. Terrier mix loses half her treat every damn time sitting it down so that it falls through a crack. In about 8 years, she still hasn't figured it out.

But the terrier is a stone cold killer- rabbits, skunks, squirrels, even birds. Lab couldn't catch his ass if you gave him a head start.

Yep, little pomsky is already trying to beat up the doodle and the cat.  Fucker yells at me too

I had shelties my entire adolescent years. They were relatively smart. My wife had a border collie that was very smart. She ran agility with her and knew over 50 verbal commands. She was very easy to teach things. She died in 2016 and we got another border collie in 2017. This border collie is…special. She’s smart but so derpy. Each dog, even those within the same breed, is different by miles.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We have a wire hair terrier/ Jack Russell mix.  That bitch catches everything. Birds/ cats/ squirrels.  practices on large grasshoppers too.  She stalks everything   LOL   

Glad we don't live down in copperhead country any more, although we do have rattlers, they aren't as prevalent.

and I LOLed reading your post, she's the dumbest dog I've ever owned.   She is affectionate as hell, and is a great pet, but dumb, nonetheless.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I had shelties my entire adolescent years. They were relatively smart. My wife had a border collie that was very smart. She ran agility with her and knew over 50 verbal commands. She was very easy to teach things. She died in 2016 and we got another border collie in 2017. This border collie is…special. She’s smart but so derpy. Each dog, even those within the same breed, is different by miles.

That's true.  I have heard of Doodles that were dumb as rocks but mine is, no BS an incredible smart and loyal dog. I've had little dogs, not sure why I got this one, yappy little bastard

My roommate has an old collie, like 13 years old.  not the nicest dog, but that could be age.

20 hours ago, justhookit said:

Not exactly sure where you are going with this, but I taught my golden retriever to sit, shake, and lay down in about 5 minutes. In minute 6 as soon as I so much as looked at him he would sit, then shake, then lay down before I could even say a word. He was an asshole, too.

Exactly.  Taught him to sit the first time.  By the time I turned around to grab another treat, he was already sitting. 

It took one slice of cheese to teach my boxer how to sit and when I want him to sit. Laying down followed easily. From there,  super easy to teach him to flop around on the ground if I point at him and yell "crucio". And then make a figure 8 around my legs if I say "loop the loop". 

However, it remains an ongoing topic of discussion if he wants to do any of this stuff when there isn't cheese present. He also found a loophole in his arthritic old age that if he painfully sits down and cries I have to give him whatever the hell he wants.

Walking was a long process but he is good at staying right where he's supposed to so long as there aren't squirrels or bunnies and nobody engages us. So he still wears the gentle leader.

Somewhat surprisingly he has been very good with the baby - at first he noped away from her, and at this point he seems to understand that she is pack and is fragile.

As I was writing this post my wife texted me saying that she smelled pee and that she isn't sure if it was from the google speaker that the little dog (maltese yorkie) pissed on earlier or if it is new piss that he pissed somewhere, as he likes to do because he is a fucking asshole no matter how many times he gets taken out.

In addition to big/little I believe there is a general difference in terms of what dogs are "supposed" to be doing. Dogs that are supposed to work with humans (shepherds, retrievers, etc) to do jobs take direction very well. Terriers were bred to hunt vermin, which is more of an independent activity than herding sheep. This is part of why they are less interested in what you are trying to get them to do.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am on my second Golden Retriever.  She's 12 years old, got her as a puppy.  First one was a rescue.  Both are/were two of the smartest, eager to learn and please dogs I have ever been around.  I'll likely be dogless for a while after Mollie goes, but if I do get another one, it will be a Golden.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, baboso said:

I am on my second Golden Retriever.  She's 12 years old, got her as a puppy.  First one was a rescue.  Both are/were two of the smartest, eager to learn and please dogs I have ever been around.  I'll likely be dogless for a while after Mollie goes, but if I do get another one, it will be a Golden.  

First golden incoming. We’ve only had labs in the past, but assume they are incredibly similar breeds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

First golden incoming. We’ve only had labs in the past, but assume they are incredibly similar breeds. 

I'm on my fourth golden.  Absolutely fantastic and exceptionally intelligent companion dogs.  Like all retrievers, need exercise and love. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m considering getting another dog eventually.  I’m really interested in a black mouthed cur or possibly a blue lacy.   Those dogs can and will do anything.  Very trainable, fearless, loyal and healthy. 

A blue lacy is my dream. You better be ready to work that thing daily. I want to train one to double as a blood trailer and an occasional dove grabber.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Smooth-haired Border Collie was our great dog.  She did about a 14-year span from when my kids were very early teens until college grads.  She always needed work to do or would go crazy.  She loved life at the deer lease.  She taught herself about rattlesnakes and would freeze on them until I could dispatch them with a shotgun.  Loved to swim all day with me in the river.  It was a misty day when we had to put her down.

It's been five years.  I'll do it again one of these days.  I think.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So we are going to do two dog threads?

I have two rescue bully breeds, a purebred Boxer and an American Bulldog mix (50%, 25% staffy, 25% Boxer).  Boxer is a great dog, average intelligence.  American Bulldog is very smart, somewhat stubborn and one of the best dogs I have ever been around.  Both are really good with my girls, but the AB is exceptionally patient with them.  I likely will get another AB down the road, but I also like other large bully breeds like Bullmastiffs and Boerboels.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like goldens, a lot.  

What's the deal that many of them, including that handsome mofo a few posts up, well, they are more red than golden. 

Is that the new style, or has that always been the case and I didn't notice.   We've got a golden here. It's not mine, but it lives on the property.  Overall a really good dog.  She's so funny though.  She's fearless as far as trespassers, coyotes, etc., but she's a total chickenshit about anything else.  If a piece of plastic blows past, she freaks out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a 14 year old black lab. Just an all around All American bad ass bitch. She has floated more miles of River than can be counted. Tough as shit. Loves to please. Honestly think she was potty trained and knew basic commands at 10 weeks. Doesn’t bark. Can’t ask for a better dog besides that she likes to eat poop.

3 year old Goldendoodle. Great dog, smart easily trainable and a giant cuddle bug. Nowhere near the outdoorsman that the lab is but he has been raised different. He is all about the boat lifestyle. His biggest issue is fence barking. Our entire front yard is fenced and roams that shit.

9 month Bernedoodle. Stubborn, sweet but a giant baby. Doesn’t really like to be outside unless we are hiking and he likes the new pool. Probably too hot for him. He is not eager to please. Chief thinks he can do want he wants to. Already a giant.

All incredible dogs but all completely different.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So we are going to do two dog threads?

I have two rescue bully breeds, a purebred Boxer and an American Bulldog mix (50%, 25% staffy, 25% Boxer).  Boxer is a great dog, average intelligence.  American Bulldog is very smart, somewhat stubborn and one of the best dogs I have ever been around.  Both are really good with my girls, but the AB is exceptionally patient with them.  I likely will get another AB down the road, but I also like other large bully breeds like Bullmastiffs and Boerboels.

The title here is wrong.  It was supposed to be my second dog is an asshole while I took my first dog for granted. 

• Like 1

Yeah we have a golden doodle so poodle and retriever mix. So smart. Learned about anything we wanted to teach in minutes or a few days for the complex. I’ve taught him some sign language like “all done” when I’m not going to feed him more snacks whether we are still eating or not. He gets it sulks and walks away.  The only negative is they are like Velcro to the main owner and get a little neurotic about it, and they require a ton of activity to stay sane. Just yesterday ours went to see my FIL in skilled nursing and then met up at the boat dock and hung out on the boat and out on the lake. 10am-10pm no nap. That’s a good day for him.  If he stays at home he’s a mess at bedtime. Not a dog for everyone but for those that include their dog in most of what they do, they get a fantastic companion. 

prior to that I had beagles and I adored them but I’ll never have a shedder or an independent mindset dog again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, LebongJames said:

We have a 14 year old black lab. Just an all around All American bad ass bitch. She has floated more miles of River than can be counted. Tough as shit. Loves to please. Honestly think she was potty trained and knew basic commands at 10 weeks. Doesn’t bark. Can’t ask for a better dog besides that she likes to eat poop.

3 year old Goldendoodle. Great dog, smart easily trainable and a giant cuddle bug. Nowhere near the outdoorsman that the lab is but he has been raised different. He is all about the boat lifestyle. His biggest issue is fence barking. Our entire front yard is fenced and roams that shit.

9 month Bernedoodle. Stubborn, sweet but a giant baby. Doesn’t really like to be outside unless we are hiking and he likes the new pool. Probably too hot for him. He is not eager to please. Chief thinks he can do want he wants to. Already a giant.

All incredible dogs but all completely different.

I have a 10 year old Yellow Lab.   Got her from a rescue five years ago..   Best dog I've ever had, but save for eating poop when I don't chance to clean it up .   I just look at it as recycling..   LOL

• Hook 'Em 1

I have come to accept that luna sees anything squirrel sized as a squirrel and must die. Chihuahuas,  dachshunds, etc are all on the menu.

When she is in predator mode it creeps me the fuck out. Big ass dog goes completely silent and slinks across the ground like a cat. She was a stray at one time and she hasn't lost her street skills.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw a 120lb brindle colored dog with a huge spiked collar doing that stalking thing to me and dog at the park this week. Gave her a lot of space, but didn’t matter. She fucking burst up ripping the leash from owners hand as she charged us. All I could do was put self between her and my dog. Owner is sprinting screaming “oh shit. Oh shit no !”

Thank fully she finally stopped a few feet from us and listened to her owner. That big bitch was terrifying. 

I usually have a knife with me at the dog park since the new apartment complex was built near neighborhood. Tons of 90lb girls with “rescue labs” (pits) that have zero chance of controlling them. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Saw a 120lb brindle colored dog with a huge spiked collar doing that stalking thing to me and dog at the park this week. Gave her a lot of space, but didn’t matter. She fucking burst up ripping the leash from owners hand as she charged us. All I could do was put self between her and my dog. Owner is sprinting screaming “oh shit. Oh shit no !”

Thank fully she finally stopped a few feet from us and listened to her owner. That big bitch was terrifying. 

I usually have a knife with me at the dog park since the new apartment complex was built near neighborhood. Tons of 90lb girls with “rescue labs” (pits) that have zero chance of controlling them. 

Damn.  That's terrifying.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:29 PM, baboso said:

I lost Maggie the Golden to cancer when she was 7 and waited thirteen years before getting another dog because losing her hurt so much.  I now regret waiting that long because I again have a pair of amazing dogs, including a Golden Doodle/Lab, who reminds me a lot of Maggie. 

I've always had huskies because I like that their hair is dry, unlike most breeds who have oil on their coats. The oil pics up dirt and begins smelling the house up. They're bright, playful and talk, some a lot. They shed a lot.

A friend has a full bred German Shepherd and it's incredibly beautiful and fairly smart. It's a little darker than the one in the pic and pretty fucking big. Loves to play. Lives to play, much like the huskies. All love to run. Whereas huskies will lick an intruder to death, the Shepherd seems instinctively protective. Sleeps by the bedroom door or the top of the stairs. That said, once he knows someone is "safe", he will be all over them trying to make friends. Huskies almost never bark, except at other dogs. The Shepherd will bark at other animals. Otherwise, he's very quiet, which is  hell of a lot better than a yapper like a sheltie. Avoid dogs that bark. Some breeds stand at the fence and growl at passers by. Could cause you a lot of heartache.

German-Shepherd-on-White-00.jpg

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/31/2021 at 11:14 AM, closetohumping said:

I have a 1.5 year old Doodle.  As docile as can be, trained him in less than three days.  Took him one try to learn sit.  I have what's called a Pomsky, don't judge, little thing is as cute as can be, and he's pretty much an asshole.

So it’s been close to a month.  I’m gonna be honest with y’all.   On more than one occasion I’ve thought about leaving the door open in the hopes that the Pomsky sneaks out and his fate is left in the hands of the neighborhood coyotes    

My wife has big time allergy issues so we have had to get hypoallergenic dogs over our 30 years.     We had a Maltese that was dumb as hell but that stupid dog devastated me when we had to put him down in 2018, I still can work myself into tears if I think about it too much.    About a year ago we got a miniature poodle (not a toy), she is smart as hell, not yappy, alerts you to someone at the door just enough to not be annoying.    It took years to teach the Maltese to do basic stuff and 1/2 the time he would just look at you confused.   The poodle picked up everything we have ever tried. We had to put child locks on her food cabinet because she figured out how to open the door.   Not even sure how she reached ha.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1