Dog breed differences

On a scale of "not a big deal" to "complete pain in the ass" what was the grooming upkeep like on the poodle? You just have to either pay someone to groom monthly or... lay down a towel and get out the brush and clippers every so often? 

I love Kevin the boxer, but he's a lot of dog, likes to get in faces, doesn't like to be left out of games and hugs, and can be overprotective. I'm afraid he may be my last boxer, which wouldn't be my choice but it's not my choice alone. Apart from the grooming (and finding a good haircut that doesn't look too froo froo) I like the idea of a standard poodle. Big dog, not a big noise maker or one to have to arrange your life around when people are coming over, smart, etc. But the grooming.

2 labradoodles from the same breeder. The bigger one is not smart but tries hard. The little one which was supposed to go to my parents and now have re-homed with us is too smart. Figures out tricks in 5 mins. 

on maintenance, brushing regularly is needed to prevent issues but we get away with going to groomers every 3 months. 

On 9/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Celery Man said:

On a scale of "not a big deal" to "complete pain in the ass" what was the grooming upkeep like on the poodle? You just have to either pay someone to groom monthly or... lay down a towel and get out the brush and clippers every so often? 

I love Kevin the boxer, but he's a lot of dog, likes to get in faces, doesn't like to be left out of games and hugs, and can be overprotective. I'm afraid he may be my last boxer, which wouldn't be my choice but it's not my choice alone. Apart from the grooming (and finding a good haircut that doesn't look too froo froo) I like the idea of a standard poodle. Big dog, not a big noise maker or one to have to arrange your life around when people are coming over, smart, etc. But the grooming.

Get my doodle shaved every 2 or three months.  He looks like a psycho with short hair though.  Looks great with the shaggy look but stinks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I taught my golden retriever to fetch the paper by going out and getting the paper and bringing it to her to "take to daddy"  inside the house and guide her to what I wanted and gave her a treat for giving him the paper. I did that for a week and then let her out and she was so avid for the paper that she ran straight for it to "take to daddy".  She never deviated from her quest from there and each morning she got the paper like the very good girl that she was. RIP, Casey. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/15/2021 at 9:03 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I've always had huskies because I like that their hair is dry, unlike most breeds who have oil on their coats. The oil pics up dirt and begins smelling the house up. They're bright, playful and talk, some a lot. They shed a lot.

The husky coat, aside from the need for regular brushing to keep the shedding under some semblance of control, is great. My half-husky can roll around in the dirt, get up, give a shake, and it looks like she just had a bath. She's almost three and a half and has had one bath in her life. No odor, no dirt, just lots of shedding. 

I dated a girl whose parents had a full size poodle. I was their house for dinner one night, and anytime anyone would leave the room, the dog would get up and try to herd you back into the room with everyone else.

It was pretty neurotic. If some people were in one room, and some in another, it would whine and scratch at the door to one of the rooms. Or it would try and get you to leave the room by just being fucking annoying (whining, yipping, nipping, etc).

On 9/21/2021 at 1:50 PM, Deej said:

The husky coat, aside from the need for regular brushing to keep the shedding under some semblance of control, is great. My half-husky can roll around in the dirt, get up, give a shake, and it looks like she just had a bath. She's almost three and a half and has had one bath in her life. No odor, no dirt, just lots of shedding. 

Thats Lunas coat. Self cleaning. She only smells after sunbathing. 

The shedding is otherworldly buts its easy to clean up because its long and doesn't stick to anything. She lets me vacuum her with a bribe of raw chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1