Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mogwai getting to Abbott.

friend of mine was called to bastrop to participate in this dumb surge.  when he got there they didn't have enough barracks space (shocker, i know).  after a day of having people sleep outside they sent a bunch home early.  bang up job being done by the governor. 

Yeah, pretty much just an elaborate photo op.   Got the press he wanted, nothing more to see here.  Move along.

Seriously, how much time and money and attention is going into these optics.  Seems if we took the money we are spending on walls and playing militia and sent humanitarian aid to those countries these people are fleeing from, we'd all be miles ahead.  But no.  No money in that, not enough resources in those countries we don't already control.  

I know, it's off topic for Tx Governor, but it's not that far off, since it hits a major philosophy we have when it comes to carrying a big stick instead of helping reduce tensions by making other peoples lives better.   

2020 Peace Corp budget was less than 400 million for the whole program.

US military spent 725 Billion in the same year.  

We need more Charlie Wilsons.

To bring it full circle, Greg Abbott is using fear and hatred against immigrants instead of 1) pushing for a better immigration system, and 2) pushing to help those people in their own countries.  Fuck solutions, just vote for me and you can feel good about defeating a phantom menace.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yeah, pretty much just an elaborate photo op.   Got the press he wanted, nothing more to see here.  Move along.

Seriously, how much time and money and attention is going into these optics.  Seems if we took the money we are spending on walls and playing militia and sent humanitarian aid to those countries these people are fleeing from, we'd all be miles ahead.  But no.  No money in that, not enough resources in those countries we don't already control.  

I know, it's off topic for Tx Governor, but it's not that far off, since it hits a major philosophy we have when it comes to carrying a big stick instead of helping reduce tensions by making other peoples lives better.   

2020 Peace Corp budget was less than 400 million for the whole program.

US military spent 725 Billion in the same year.  

We need more Charlie Wilsons.

To bring it full circle, Greg Abbott is using fear and hatred against immigrants instead of 1) pushing for a better immigration system, and 2) pushing to help those people in their own countries.  Fuck solutions, just vote for me and you can feel good about defeating a phantom menace.  

Absolutely right.  Basically need a Marshall Plan for parts of Central/South America.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Deer hunting at night is legal?  Can you hunt out of your truck now as well?

Holy shit, I totally blanked on that - my brother-in-law got nailed while hunting at night a while back, but I don't know if he was charged for that, as there were...other things that got him in more trouble.

State of Texas

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/overview

Legal Shooting Hours for All Game Animals and Nonmigratory Game Birds

The period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, elfenix said:

friend of mine was called to bastrop to participate in this dumb surge.  when he got there they didn't have enough barracks space (shocker, i know).  after a day of having people sleep outside they sent a bunch home early.  bang up job being done by the governor. 

Sounds like imma have to dig out my "No Gestapo in Bastropo" tshirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Y’all are reading too Much into the minutiae of Texas Game Law. Huffines is a Wooded Shire Troll who was merely communing with the Deer and other animals who roam the woods with him.  He merely disguised himself in the ways of Man as it is one of his Arbor Creature rights.

Forest Law trumps all state laws.  

Yes, I'm certain Huffines will be out spotlighting. Maybe doing some FM roadhunting. Dudes an idiot but holy shit looking for something that isn't there in this case.  I'm sure he's on his own several thousand acre place if I had to guess, pretty sure he understands simple af game laws.  

On 11/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, Neonmoon said:

Point out in his tweet where he used the word “evening” and not “tonight”

So I'm assuming you didn't actually watch the clip where says...evening.   torbush.gif

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean…why not? Actual experience and qualifications mean jack-shit anymore. A platform of “I’m not a fucking troll” has an advantage.

He's young as well.  He's got plenty to do between now and then.

If he focused on the next few years of building a machine of sorts and getting out and shaking hands, he could easily win in '26.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If he focused on the next few years of building a machine of sorts and getting out and shaking hands, he could easily win in '26.

It’s hard to see a path in politics for McConaughey without him joining one of the 2 major parties.  If he did that I do think he would be a viable threat, regardless of which party he joined (although he’d obviously have a much bigger chance of winning the governorship as a member of the GOP).  Without doing that, his only chance is to spend the next 4 years keeping himself in the national spotlight while building up some kind of credentials, whether be in business or otherwise; but even then it’s hard to see him becoming governor as an independent.

I don’t actually hate McConaughey as a potential politician.  He’s not a dumbass and he seems to be well-intended.  He lacks the resume for someone running a state government, and I don’t know exactly what he could do to fix that without first taking a job that seems pretty beneath him (like state rep).

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

He lacks the resume for someone running a state government, and I don’t know exactly what he could do to fix that without first taking a job that seems pretty beneath him (like state rep).

I hear what you're saying but Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura both got elected without any experience, and the latter did it on a third ticket.

Reagan, though, followed the general path you're outlining.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I hear what you're saying but Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura both got elected without any experience, and the latter did it on a third ticket.

Reagan, though, followed the general path you're outlining.

Ventura was mayor of Brooklyn Park, MN before he became governor.  Arnold was a Republican.

McConaughey could make himself viable by being Mayor of Austin (or even better for him, a smaller town like Fredericksburg or Burnet or some shit).  That would be following the Ventura path.

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Ventura was mayor of Brooklyn Park, MN before he became governor.  Arnold was a Republican.

McConaughey could make himself viable by being Mayor of Austin (or even better for him, a smaller town like Fredericksburg or Burnet or some shit).  That would be following the Ventura path.

Didn't realize that about Ventura. Someone tell MM to go back to his hometown Uvalde and get elected mayor there, then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

25614-photostudio_1606695835960.jpg?w=64

Well, I was going to say that "Kambree" is kind of the perfect whiskey tango trumpist moniker.

But it appears that she may be (Nelson?  Koa?) of Pacific Islander descent.  They do have a tendency, at least in Hawaii, toward their own variation on whiskey tango.

I really want to go to some of these rallies and start asking Qanon questions.

But these things always have cameras/cell phones at them, and inevitably the clip would get posted somewhere, and some family member or friend would think I needed mental help.  I mean, they already think that after the last few years of Texas football.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I really want to go to some of these rallies and start asking Qanon questions.

But these things always have cameras/cell phones at them, and inevitably the clip would get posted somewhere, and some family member or friend would think I needed mental help.  I mean, they already think that after the last few years of Texas football.

I've lived in Little Elm and my folks still live in Carrollton. LE was KKK light territory and Carrollton is simply suburban hell. Wonder why they're not headed to larger municipalities 🤔

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've lived in Little Elm and my folks still live in Carrollton. LE was KKK light territory and Carrollton is simply suburban hell. Wonder why they're not headed to larger municipalities 🤔

Lil Elm is central enough to Frisco, Lewisville, Denton, Prosper, The Colony, etc...

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I mean he's 52.  He's not exactly a spring chicken.  Although it is a two and a half decade head start on the age to run for president and win in this country, so who knows?

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

None. The answer is none. The depravity of all of them is equal. Your only choice is which flavor.

Let me rephrase...  Please provide the continuum... as I understand it today:

Annoying/Catering to $ ------------------ Batshit crazy

Abbott -----------------------------------  West

Where is Huffines?

I know where Beto is... playing along at home, just like me.