Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

He should tax abortions. Wait . . . .

Marijuana.  Legalize and tax marijuana.

The libertarians and plenty of others would turn out in droves for his primary.  Abbott would be sweating as hard as if his van had just dropped him off in a gravel parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gets better.   Remember how he wants to ditch property taxes?

Well, no income taxes either, so he's got a plan to pay for everything...

Existing revenue streams? Hmmm, under his plan car inspections will be $70, with the registration going to $750. The auto insurance surcharge that was $1 until Rick Perry raised it to $2 and then 8 years later lowered it back down to $1 is now what, $10 $100? Court costs and court fines, beer and cigarette tax, health care fees....let's see, he doesn't like public education, so the teacher certification fee can go up, but he's probably not going to touch the oil and gas stuff or the air pollution control stuff.

Naw, that's not going to hit the common man where it hurts at all at all.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

And he can’t help that that tree broke his backbone.

Nope, but he could try to make things easier for other handicapped people, rather than making it harder.

I've heard of self-loathing Jews, gays, Blacks,  but not self-loathing/hating handicapped people.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Democrats in Texas aren't what they used to be, whether it was Ann Richards or Rick Perry (he did a fairly competent job of running Al Gore's campaign in Texas in '88).

They are pretty much Charlie Brown.

charlie-brown-fail.gif

Part of the problem is they have no bench, so any candidate with a little buzz immediately runs for the highest open office rather than run locally or regionally and build a fundrasing base and an actual record of accomplishments. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just like the sperm and embryo from whence he came, Huffines sure is a tenaciously scrappy little fuck.  I'll give him that.  

Also, that photo of the girl with his big sign...that's perfect.  Some generic exurb development wasteland...that's exactly his demographic.  It's a brilliant encapsulation of his campaign.  An ideology as barren as that landscape, but teeming with poison underneath. 

On 1/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Part of the problem is they have no bench, so any candidate with a little buzz immediately runs for the highest open office rather than run locally or regionally and build a fundrasing base and an actual record of accomplishments. 

That's not stopping #teamred.  What kind of record do Huffines or West have?  Patrick and Abbott both cut their teeth in lower offices at least.   

But you are right about the Dems not having much bench.  Part of that is they don't get much media coverage here when they are in office, bad or good, with Lina Hidalgo being the exception.  Nobody outside El Paso knew who Beto was as a congressman until he ran for senate.  I would wager that Crenshaw and Gohmert have much more recognition, and all they have done is serve the same state in the same capacity.   Difference is Beto was actually there to represent his constituents, and the other two are there to represent themselves.  Hence they say and do so much stupid stuff, intentional or not, to get noticed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Imagine Allen West as governor.

We'd have two carpetbaggers running the executive branch of a state known for its obsession with genuine Texan-ness.

Yeah, Sid Miller, Abbott, George P., et. al.  They can't finish a sentence without mentioned how far back in Texas they go.  Open up every fucking speech with it.  But West and Dan Patrick couldn't be any less Texan if they had Bob Stoops cock in their mouths and wiped the jizz off with the Lone Star flag...and yet 40% of this state eats that shit up and asks for more.  I've never understood the pride people take in the one aspect of their lives they actually had zero control over.  All I give a shit about is wherever you are, are you consistently working to make the place a better place?  That's the only measure of a man in the public arena.  And Dan Patrick could fuck up a cup of coffee, nevermind our State.

Edited by Lobo

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, Sid Miller, Abbott, George P., et. al.  They can't finish a sentence without mentioned how far back in Texas they go.  Open up every fucking speech with it.  But West and Dan Patrick couldn't be any less Texan if they had Bob Stoops cock in their mouths and wiped the jizz off with the Lone Star flag...and yet 40% of this state eats that shit up and asks for more.  I've never understood the pride people take in the one aspect of their lives they actually had zero control over.  All I give a shit about is wherever you are, are you consistently working to make the place a better place?  That's the only measure of a man in the public arena.  And Dan Patrick could fuck up a cup of coffee, nevermind our State.

But you can rest assured that fucked up cup of coffee will mean some money in his pocket.  

13 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Why would he? You're not under the impression that this wouldn't be considered a selling point to the GOP primary electorate, are you?

It may draw voters to Huffines (Narrator: it will) but it will be a problem for BMDs.   And some Republicans are hung up on the Israel thing.  But I would like to see white supremacy be an issue in the GOP primaries.