Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You are leaving out one important thing.  Over the last 4-5 months, Abbott has reversed course in the middle of a fucking pandemic and has been trying to fuck with school districts and parents in Texas trying to stay masked up and do virtual when things got bad, and Paxton has gleefully been there beside him, throwing gasoline around everywhere.

There's over 5 million school kids in Texas, and almost every one of the millions of their parents, with the exception of the weird home-schoolers and anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers, want their kids to stay in school, not catch it, and not have to quarantine.

They want their sports and other extracurricular activities to go on, particularly high school parents and alumni.

Fucking Abbott and Paxton tried to wage a full-on war against those parents with stopping local districts from mandating masks, and those parents aren't forgetting it.

And Abbott and Paxton did it very visibly in the public arena, and they wanted you to know that they were the ones pushing against it.  

They wanted full credit for this as Delta went fucking haywire and filled up our hospitals, including our children's hospitals.  They gave no fucks when ICUs filled up.

What they did was not leadership, it was not normal, it was not the actions of somebody who gave a shit about their kids, and everybody saw it.

Doesn't care, had wheechair sex.

Well that’s about to change.
MM could run as a moderate/conservative dem and win. Does he want to? I have no idea. 

He’s just another narcissistic attention whore who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. He believes he’s the one that can bring harmony and everyone back to bipartisan compromises.

Go back to naked bongos you dolt.

I’d still vote for that idiot because in a field of idiots someone is the cream of the crop.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think it's the tipping point.  February Freeze, Covid BS, and now this. 

Eventually people will realize that all they need to do to have a normal life is not vote for scumbags.  Now, whether than can actually vote or not is the another issue.

And why would you think that? These people have been very up front about laying down for energy companies, overturning Roe, COVID is nbd, etc. Texas has responded by consistently electing them by wide margins, ones that expanded from 2018 to 2020 despite so many in here being confident that a turnout wave would make Texas competitive.

At some point, just like football, you are what your record says you are.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Abortion is now illegal in Texas.
Joe shithead can sue anyone who has anything to do with an abortion in Texas for money.
That same asshole can walk around the streets of Dallas, Houston, etc with an AK and nobody can do anything about it. Even the cops.
The power grid failed in February because the temperature got below freezing and hundreds of people died and everyone else lived in temporary squalor for a week.
The Capitol got ransacked by thugs and almost overthrew democracy.
All of that happened since the last election less than a year ago and some of y’all think nothing has changed. 

And partisanship drives huge divides in opinions on all these issues. Republicans have captured the total, undying loyalty of their voters and know the only way to lose it is not be MAGA enough.

6 minutes ago, Bojack said:

It's not impossible.  Kansas, Kentucky, and Louisiana are redder than Texas and all have Democratic governors.  

And as we've seen, that's done wonders for the lives and economic opportunities of their citizens.

You need to control everything to do anything.  The GOP has figured that out. Dems still are stuck in some outdated idea that politics is a noble profession with principles.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

And as we've seen, that's done wonders for the lives and economic opportunities of their citizens.

You need to control everything to do anything.  The GOP has figured that out. Dems still are stuck in some outdated idea that politics is a noble profession with principles.

It hasn't magically changed things for the better but I imagine it's put the brakes on some crazy, right wing shit like our abortion law.  

Some Trumpkin, both sider dumbshit wandered in to the CR the other day talking about the leftist agenda.  The American leftist agenda is pretty much dreaming of someday having universal healthcare like the rest of the developed world, maybe someday doing something about climate change, maybe someday raising the minimum wage (still $7.25 an hour!), and legalizing weed.  Otherwise, we play defense against insane Maga and Rebublican bullshit and try to slow our descent into hell.  Winning the occasional upset election in a red state helps things from getting worse but you're right that it won't do wonders if you don't control everything.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Like Roger Stone said in the movie, 537 Votes, Republicans only care about winning. By any means necessary. That is it. They know that there are no "officials," no play-by-play, no punishment for the corrupt. That requires recognizing that there are rules and boundaries and such like. We are to the point where they wholly supported the VP being hung on live television even if they stated otherwise in their little sympathy sessions in front of the camera for a *checks notes* grand total of three days in January after the coup attempt. Had that actually happened, they would've regrouped and gone on with their lives, wholly satisfied that things are going swimmingly because they honestly don't give a moment's thought to 'principles' unless it either directly harms them, or somehow violates the Anglo-American version of how the world should be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

58 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

And why would you think that? These people have been very up front about laying down for energy companies, overturning Roe, COVID is nbd, etc. Texas has responded by consistently electing them by wide margins, ones that expanded from 2018 to 2020 despite so many in here being confident that a turnout wave would make Texas competitive.

At some point, just like football, you are what your record says you are.

You know, Brexit isn't as popular as it was 5 years ago.  Back then, it was all "fuck those guys!!!" 

Now, it's "Delays crossing the Chunnel?  Dammit!"  "New import duties from the EU?  Dammit!"

Once it sinks it that it all about punishing the gays and blacks and Mexicans and that PEOPLE LIKE US will be affected the worm will turn.

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is so frustrating. It also reflects the political incompetence of the DNC.

Texas should be blue by now. 

Texas is a non-voting state. The Georgia Dems rode the Abrams’ voter registration and turnout train into the station in 2020.

Does Texas have an Abrams? Can Beto’s continued registration and mobilization effort lead to anything in 2022?

I really don’t know.  We don’t seemingly have an obvious Warnock/Abrams type to put up against Abbott.  A successful, center-left Latina is probably the best bet in a state like Texas. 

Lina Hidalgo? Carol Alvarado? Eva Longoria? 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texas is a non-voting state. The Georgia Dems rode the Abrams’ voter registration and turnout train into the station in 2020.
Does Texas have an Abrams? Can Beto’s continued registration and mobilization effort lead to anything in 2022?
I really don’t know.  We don’t seemingly have an obvious Warnock/Abrams type to put up against Abbott.  A successful, center-left Latina is probably the best bet in a state like Texas. 
Lina Hidalgo? Carol Alvarado? Eva Longoria? 

Latinos will never vote for a Latina. Machismo will never allow that.
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Poor people in Kentucky and Louisiana benefited when their Democratic governors expanded Medicaid. Poor people in Texas have not been so lucky.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Bojack said:

It hasn't magically changed things for the better but I imagine it's put the brakes on some crazy, right wing shit like our abortion law.  

Some Trumpkin, both sider dumbshit wandered in to the CR the other day talking about the leftist agenda.  The American leftist agenda is pretty much dreaming of someday having universal healthcare like the rest of the developed world, maybe someday doing something about climate change, maybe someday raising the minimum wage (still $7.25 an hour!), and legalizing weed.  Otherwise, we play defense against insane Maga and Rebublican bullshit and try to slow our descent into hell.  Winning the occasional upset election in a red state helps things from getting worse but you're right that it won't do wonders if you don't control everything.

Mostly but then you get stuff that's untenable like reparations. My response would be free education at the community colleges but we've got that here now.  I have no clue how places like the Greenbelt, MD, are going to decide who gets reparations and who doesn't, especially since we've been solidly shitty to every nationality, how much, from where, while trying to juggle higher property taxes and values and retaining the homeowners that can afford them. They're conducting a study for it currently. Regardless, it's not an easy proposition and not a selling point nationally. It matters when people like Elizabeth Warren mentioned reparations in their campaigns and didn't get much traction. But will it come off as a threat when an African American states this as a part of their campaign for a higher position? It's interesting.  Maybe people shouldn't have discriminated against home loans for non-Anglo service members and others too.  I don't know how this will play out but it's an interesting litmus test later this fall. 

We've already decriminalized weed so that's great but until they legalize it, Marylanders can't really benefit from the sales of it.  Here's an interesting thought--legalize it and take proceeds from it and put it towards reparations and education.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog/greenbelt-council-approves-referendum-on-reparations/

Furk--apologies for the non-Texas thoughts.

Edited by Mdhorn

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking Abbott and Paxton tried to wage a full-on war against those parents with stopping local districts from mandating masks, and those parents aren't forgetting it.

If you get 50 feet outside any major urban area you will see a lot of the citizenry seems to agree with Hot Wheels and Dead Eye.  And those assholes vote.

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ll tel you this - 35W heading up to FW is blanketed with Huffines billboards.

Just got back from a round trip tour of semi-West Texas; Abiliene -> Sweetwater -> Midland and back, in and around a bunch of small towns, where I was visiting friends and family via Dove Hunting 2021, and I think it would help those whose only exposure in Texas is in Austin or Houston in the loop or Dallas (minus the northern, prosperous suburbs), to see how a decent size contingent of Texans live, think and act. It might be helpful and informative, is all I'm saying.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Just got back from a round trip tour of semi-West Texas; Abiliene -> Sweetwater -> Midland and back, in and around a bunch of small towns, where I was visiting friends and family via Dove Hunting 2021, and I think it would help those whose only exposure in Texas is in Austin or Houston in the loop or Dallas (minus the northern, prosperous suburbs), to see how a decent size contingent of Texans live, think and act. It might be helpful and informative, is all I'm saying.

So dumb. Many of us know exactly what it’s like there dipshit. It’s not like it’s some alien foreign country. I lived in midland for 8 years. I know exactly what it’s like and it’s why I don’t live there anymore and never will.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So dumb. Many of us know exactly what it’s like there dipshit. It’s not like it’s some alien foreign country. I lived in midland for 8 years. I know exactly what it’s like and it’s why I don’t live there anymore and never will.

Sure many do, but I think it cuts both ways and lot of people get insulated or are born into areas and don't necessarily know this. Especially BIPOCs and other urban-oriented minorities (e.g. Asians, South Asians, Middle Easterners, East and West Africans, etc.)

I'm glad you are aware though, it's probably helpful!

Edited by DonkeyCigars

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

And in the same token, these small-town folk should visit the suburban areas to see how we live, think, and act.

• Like 4

Sure many do, but I think it cuts both ways and lot of people get insulated or are born into areas and don't necessarily know this. Especially BIPOCs and other urban-oriented minorities (e.g. Asians, South Asians, Middle Easterners, East and West Africans, etc.)
I'm glad you are aware though, it's probably helpful!

I’ve watched the The Last Picture Show. That’s good enough right?
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

And in the same token, these small-town folk should visit the suburban areas to see how we live, think, and act.

It’s always WE should understand them. Never the other way around.  All you’re doing is further isolating them if they aren’t going to visit suburban/urban areas and see new things. 

Why should we have to go understand dying rural areas? 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s always WE should understand them. Never the other way around.  All you’re doing is further isolating them if they aren’t going to visit suburban/urban areas and see new things. 

Because they still out vote the large urban areas. I guess we can let demographics do it’s thing and wonder why we’re still under total GQP control 20 years from now, but that doesn’t sound like a good idea 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's the poor country mouse vs the slick city mouse story.    They don't want to understand you.  They want their lives to seem better than yours.  Whether it is or not.  "Yeah maybe I live in a double wide, but it's mine, on my property and I can go outside and pee off the porch and no one can stop me.  Try that in your fancy city apartment you don't own!"  And that resentment has led to a rise in Trump's popularity.   Now it's gone on to "I'd rather die than get the jab because this country is going to hell and Jesus is coming any day!"   

The problems in our state can be laid at the feet of the GQP.  How do we get people to stop voting for them?  If we don't understand why they do, then we can't help them or ourselves.

Right now there is a very strong Republican push to solidify their hold on the small rural counties.  Day before yesterday Sheriff Arpaio was in Medina County.  That's Hondo and Castroville.  They have had dozens of these events in the past 3-4 months all over Texas.  

They know that the voting power of the state resides in the bigger population centers.  And they know that if the rural counties could turn out more democratic votes, then they are sunk.  So these events are being held to bolster the red vote and intimidate the blue vote to stay home.   Plain and simple.    

If we continue to discount or ignore the rural vote, then we do so at our own peril.    The republicans aren't, they are filling that void, pretending to be the voice of blue collar.  

And that void is there because there is no message or support coming into these counties from the Texas Dems.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I'm from a small town. I grew up out between Uvalde and Eagle Pass. In a single-wide trailer. These are my folk.

I'll never understand how they supported Donald Trump. Maybe I've just been away too long.

I understand them. I grew up around many fo those people. Still know many of them, by virtue of life of connections, hunting, etc.

I also understand how the German people fell under the sway of/went along with naziism.

It’s quite interesting, anthropologically.

Cool.

So now what? Because even with that understanding, nazis and their collaborators were a poison on the earth. So are Trumpkins.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I understand them. I grew up around many fo those people. Still know many of them, by virtue of life of connections, hunting, etc.

I also understand how the German people fell under the sway of/went along with naziism.

It’s quite interesting, anthropologically.

Cool.

So now what? Because even with that understanding, nazis and their collaborators were a poison on the earth. So are Trumpkins.

So now what? Well first I would respectfully submit that you actually don’t know your enemy. You think you do, and you’ve distilled your assumed knowledge into pithy sound bytes that make you feel as if you know what’s going on and have a firm grip and handle on the complexities and dynamics, with your fun reprises; “cruelty is the point”, “we are doomed”, “I’m on the ledge drinking tequila” and what have you’s.

But the reality is that you don’t seem to understand root causes or any fundamental brokenness that informs the behavior and symptoms that are easy for you to glom to because you haven’t really the time or inclination to care. And I understand that. The hillbilly elegy people have burned any sympathy or credit to care about their plight.

But you don’t understand.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

So now what? Well first I would respectfully submit that you actually don’t know your enemy. You think you do, and you’ve distilled your assumed knowledge into pithy sound bytes that make you feel as if you know what’s going on and have a firm grip and handle on the complexities and dynamics, with your fun reprises; “cruelty is the point”, “we are doomed”, “I’m on the ledge drinking tequila” and what have you’s.
But the reality is that you don’t seem to understand root causes or any fundamental brokenness that informs the behavior and symptoms that are easy for you to glom to because you haven’t really the time or inclination to care. And I understand that. The hillbilly elegy people have burned any sympathy or credit to care about their plight.
But you don’t understand.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

1. I don’t drink tequila. I drink whiskey.

2. I understand the root causes. More importantly, I understand that they are being exploited by an exploding fascist movement that is following a proven script. The people you are talking about are pawns. And they are playing their part. Right down to getting killed for the cause. Fascism will win, because 1) history tells us it will, and 2) the people you are taking about are dedicated, with their very lives, to helping it do so.
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because they still out vote the large urban areas. I guess we can let demographics do it’s thing and wonder why we’re still under total GQP control 20 years from now, but that doesn’t sound like a good idea 

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

It's the poor country mouse vs the slick city mouse story.    They don't want to understand you.  They want their lives to seem better than yours.  Whether it is or not.  "Yeah maybe I live in a double wide, but it's mine, on my property and I can go outside and pee off the porch and no one can stop me.  Try that in your fancy city apartment you don't own!"  And that resentment has led to a rise in Trump's popularity.   Now it's gone on to "I'd rather die than get the jab because this country is going to hell and Jesus is coming any day!"   

The problems in our state can be laid at the feet of the GQP.  How do we get people to stop voting for them?  If we don't understand why they do, then we can't help them or ourselves.

I have plenty of these relatives/acquaintances in East Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma.  They are not interested in changing their views.  I think it started happening during the Clinton years (which happened to correspond with right-wing radio blowing up), but regardless of when it happened, they have hardened their attitudes.

Many of them have developed a hatred for the left, and that is absolutely the fault of the GOP, because Republican politicians and talking heads have completely turned this into a civil war of sorts.  In their minds, anything that is vaguely to the left, or even moderate, is now socialism.  People who are on fucking Social Security and Medicare and other such government programs rant and rave about socialism, because that's what Republicans have done to them.

Hell, more than a few in my family that rely on agriculture, either directly as farmers, or working jobs directly associated with farming, and they don't even care about the double-standard of subsidies.  It's not "socialism" in their view, because they feel like they are owed it.

They are not interested in compromise - they still have some power, and they know it, and they know they are not far off from losing that power, and so they are going to dig in. Relatives and friends dying from covid has not changed their minds about the vaccine or covid (other than fucking getting horse paste).  Even the educated ones fall into the trap of only watching Fox News.

The only thing that's going to change amongst those folks is that every generation that comes out of there is getting more and more moderate/liberal.  It's accelerating with the rise of smartphones and easy internet access and social media. Their kids/grandkids are interacting with a lot of people who are not in their same circles, both geographically and economically.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

2. I understand the root causes. More importantly, I understand that they are being exploited by an exploding fascist movement that is following a proven script. The people you are talking about are pawns. And they are playing their part. Right down to getting killed for the cause.

Agree completely.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Fascism will win, because 1) history tells us it will, and 2) the people you are taking about are dedicated, with their very lives, to helping it do so.

Disagree.  Trump lost, even though he had 11 million more votes over 2016.  He lost the House and the Senate.  His acolytes are struggling, and even being embarrassed whether it's pillow guy failing to fill up a cheap-ass conference center or counties and school districts very publicly telling Abbott and DeSantis to fuck off.  Republicans are trying to tear each other down in the primaries.

Hell, Trump is having to hold rallies in fucking Alabama cow pastures.

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Counterpoint: Institutional disadvantages make it extremely difficult for D's to capture the presidency and both houses of Congress (never mind what R chicanery has done to the judiciary), and when they do get that level of power, they refuse to exercise it.

Oh, the Ds love to shoot their dicks off, but the actions of the Republicans (voting restriction fuckery, etc.) shows that the tide is turning.  Republicans are fucking terrified of demographic and migration patterns, absolutely terrified.  Those actions are not the actions of a party confident in their future.

And at the same time they are having to eat their own in their primaries, which wastes money that could be spent in the general, and it damages candidates.  They are discovering that fairly no-name candidates simply have to parrot Donald Trump talking points, grow a (cheap) social media presence, and claim the Republican incumbent/opponent is a RINO, and *boom* they've got donations flowing in.

• Like 1

Oh, the Ds love to shoot their dicks off, but the actions of the Republicans (voting restriction fuckery, etc.) shows that the tide is turning.  Republicans are fucking terrified of demographic and migration patterns, absolutely terrified.  Those actions are not the actions of a party confident in their future.
And at the same time they are having to eat their own in their primaries, which wastes money that could be spent in the general, and it damages candidates.  They are discovering that fairly no-name candidates simply have to parrot Donald Trump talking points, grow a (cheap) social media presence, and claim the Republican incumbent/opponent is a RINO, and *boom* they've got donations flowing in.

My point exactly. Low-IQ fascism works. History says it does.
  • Rage+1 1