Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

Don talks a big game, but we know if he somehow cleared the primary and was in the general, he'd stop talking about this pretty fucking fast, else the agriculture and construction industries would throw their money at the Democrats.

There's a reason why Republican politicians in Texas have never went down this road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, I don’t know why you’re expecting the Chamber of Commerce to restore moderation among the GOP.  Abbott clearly isn’t governing like he expects their support to be sustaining.  It’s ally with the crazies or else.  

If he completely turns his back on them, their money will spend just as well with Democrats.

But this all goes back to whether he is doing this because some kind of internal polling shows he needs to during primary season, or because he has his eye on '24.

the only way to solve this is for a Democrat to win. i know that doesnt seem possible but the Trump game plan has failed 3x now - costing the R's the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. Its a stupid fucking strategy that alienates the moderates. It really is the dumbest political strategy that you could follow. I know a primary in Texas is different and that dumb fucking strategy might just work to win the nomination but if enough moderates cross over and vote for a Democrat then it sinks the entire strategy and just perhap, after losing Texas, no one else will be fucking stupid enough to follow the dumbass orange guy off the cliff again...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

the only way to solve this is for a Democrat to win. i know that doesnt seem possible but the Trump game plan has failed 3x now - costing the R's the House, the Senate, and the Presidency. Its a stupid fucking strategy that alienates the moderates. It really is the dumbest political strategy that you could follow. I know a primary in Texas is different and that dumb fucking strategy might just work to win the nomination but if enough moderates cross over and vote for a Democrat then it sinks the entire strategy and just perhap, after losing Texas, no one else will be fucking stupid enough to follow the dumbass orange guy off the cliff again...

Plenty of House Reps will still follow him off the fucking cliff, because their districts are such that fealty to Donald is worth a few tens of thousands of votes in the primaries or whatever.

But it would make a lot of the BMDs and a lot of Senate types, as well as state office types, rethink the strategy of driving the moderates away.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
Gotdam, look at how he's going to "protect" the grid.
12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

what a shitty agenda

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

About half of those are prohibiting or banning something.  Party of freedom indeed.

So he wants to restrict the power of the executive branch, including under the Texas Disaster Act.

But he wants the executive branch to tell schools/universities/counties/cities and private businesses that they can't require vaccines, and he wants the executive branch branch to tell schools/universities/counties/cities that they can't have mask mandates.

Animated GIF

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Abbott probably took Huffine's list of grievances and is studying them for further action.

And how the fuck is it that UT has produced such embarrassing grads in Abbott and Huffines?

That's supposed to be the province of aggy.

I dunno, but they must have been cut from the same cloth as the denizens of the early boards. When on Hornfans and occasionally made my way to the politics board I thought I was the only liberal to ever graduate from UT. Over time more and more people like me have made themselves known. Must be an age thing. Abbott is 20+ years older than me (apparently same with Huffines)

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

On 9/7/2021 at 3:55 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Don talks a big game, but we know if he somehow cleared the primary and was in the general, he'd stop talking about this pretty fucking fast, else the agriculture and construction industries would throw their money at the Democrats.

There's a reason why Republican politicians in Texas have never went down this road.

The dairy farms where I pick up-

Trump signs out front, immigrants working out back

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I dunno, but they must have been cut from the same cloth as the denizens of the early boards. When on Hornfans and occasionally made my way to the politics board I thought I was the only liberal to ever graduate from UT. Over time more and more people like me have made themselves known. Must be an age thing. Abbott is 20+ years older than me (apparently same with Huffines)

Dude, I was a Republican back then, and they weren't this insane.

Or rather, if they were this insane, they kept it quiet.

• Like 1

what a shitty agenda

The last three items - while mostly empty bullshit platitude type stuff (“term limits!”) - aren’t terrible.

The rest of it looks like something an evil overlord cooks up in his lair under a volcano. The GQP has just gone all-in on authoritarian bullshit that has the primary goal of hurting people.
  • Like 1

'Monument Protection'?  

Seriously?  That's what we're going with, monument protection?  It's already illegal to deface or destroy an historical monument.  We didn't even need statewide laws to make that so.  Removal is up to the folks in that community.  Just because something was erected before yesterday, doesn't make it "historical."  

Let's all feign surprise when this issue takes up 19 minutes at the first Gubernatorial debate.

ERMAHGERD, MER MONERMENTZ!

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

'Monument Protection'?  

Seriously?  That's what we're going with, monument protection?  It's already illegal to deface or destroy an historical monument.  We didn't even need statewide laws to make that so.  Removal is up to the folks in that community.  Just because something was erected before yesterday, doesn't make it "historical."  

Let's all feign surprise when this issue takes up 19 minutes at the first Gubernatorial debate.

These clowns aren't exactly creative.  Might as well have an honest agenda:

1 -- Pass the "I love America more than pussy commies, all of whom should be kicked in the junk Act" - it will require that everyone super-duper love America, and people who don't will be sent somewhere they should go, such as the Iraq!

2 -- Pass the "Get rid of all the dirty beaners, who are causing all of our problems -- I know it, you know it, everyone knows it Act" -- it will require that all dirty beaners GTFO, except for those who promise to talk 'merican and vote Republican in every election.

3 -- Pass the "Everything has to be powered by oil, and it can't be fucking fuel efficient, either Act" -- bans sailboats, bikes, skateboards, etc.  MAYBE allow an exemption to allow use so long as you have a dirty combustion engine that you set on the ground and run the whole time, burning sweet, sweet petroleum and belching as much exhaust as is mechanically possible.

4 -- Pass the "look, the bitches just need to obey us men about everything, we know best, everyone knows it, it's totally in the Bible Act" -- I mean, this one's self-explanatory.

I've got more.  But they're SUPER-racist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

Yeah, see...if we eliminate wind...we can eliminate the risk of power lines being knocked over by gusts.  Grid is secured that way.  Fucking DUH! 

(nevermind the millions of people we'll save from Wind Cancer)

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dude, I was a Republican back then, and they weren't this insane.

Or rather, if they were this insane, they kept it quiet.

Back then, Republicans were pro-business and anti taxes. Now they only care about social issues.

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

'Monument Protection'?  

His "Monument Protection Act" specifically states he would prevent their removal. So, again, another attack from Die Rechte on local control.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Wish list: (1) Joe Strauss switches parties; (2) Lina Hidalgo, Naked (3) Bongos / Time is a Flat Circle; (4) Ron Niremberg; (5) a Castro; (6) the tree that took Hot Wheels’ legs. 

If that fucking tree had been a FINISHER, I'd bump it up to 3 or 4 ...

My God, I never noticed it until now.  Although she's from Georgia, the New Mexico state flag is based on Marjorie Taylor Green's feet and the contents of her skull.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And Abbott probably took Huffine's list of grievances and is studying them for further action.

And how the fuck is it that UT has produced such embarrassing grads in Abbott and Huffines?

That's supposed to be the province of aggy.

Embarrassing aggy grads take a back seat to no one. See. Louie Gohmert

2 hours ago, Xian said:

Abbot is a fucking dumbass. I can’t tell you how many “non political” people I know are fucking pissed at him right now over this abortion fiasco. 
the Texas GOP really kicked the hornets nest with this one.  

I can agree with that, with an informal survey of FB comments from people (women) that kind of surprised me, given their past political proclivities of either voting (R) or not voting at all.  Just a few dozen people though, so anecdotal, but still, some strong comments about it.

2 hours ago, Xian said:

Now the Democrats just need to find someone with a pulse to run. 

Donald Trump GIF by NowThis

8 hours ago, Xian said:

Abbot is a fucking dumbass. I can’t tell you how many “non political” people I know are fucking pissed at him right now over this abortion fiasco. 

the Texas GOP really kicked the hornets nest with this one.   Now the Democrats just need to find someone with a pulse to run. 

Call me cynical, but I don’t think abortion rights will galvanize enough voters to change the political landscape of Texas, at least for this next election cycle. It might swing a few districts to pick up some seats in the legislature, but our statewide offices are staying red.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Call me cynical, but I don’t think abortion rights will galvanize enough voters to change the political landscape of Texas, at least for this next election cycle. It might swing a few districts to pick up some seats in the legislature, but our statewide offices are staying red.

You may be cynical, but you're also right.  Because the GQP has honed a message that works on the masses: "you gotta vote for us, if you vote for a Dem you support communism and gulags and shit!"  And the 50% of Texans who are below median IQ lap that shit up like crack-laced coca cola.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, it may help swing some suburban districts blue, both at the lege level and Congressional level, depending on how redistricting goes.  Van Duyne, Nehls, Roy, Gonzalez, McCaul and Carter are probably pretty unhappy.  Crenshaw probably didn't even see it coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

'Monument Protection'?  

Rhinestone agenda.  All bling and Jesus.  Sure to drag rural votes and soccer moms.

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, see...if we eliminate wind...we can eliminate the risk of power lines being knocked over by gusts.  Grid is secured that way.  Fucking DUH! 

(nevermind the millions of people we'll save from Wind Cancer)

Can we add a wall on the Red River to keep out Okies and northers while we're at it?   I mean Trump's wall is working wonders, right?

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, it may help swing some suburban districts blue, both at the lege level and Congressional level, depending on how redistricting goes.  Van Duyne, Nehls, Roy, Gonzalez, McCaul and Carter are probably pretty unhappy.  Crenshaw probably didn't even see it coming. 

What you did there, I see.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 10:02 AM, Js1 said:

Is your boy Talarico going to run for Tx31? Seems like a logical next step. I'd give him money. Might even stuff envelopes or make calls for him.