To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Oh so it's only the worst D in Texas history when you look at the stats but it's "bend don't break" so that's all cool.

OKjenniferlawrence.gif

because from a YPG standpoint, nothing has changed since the 69 National Championship team and today - or even the 97 Mackovic team...right?

if you think that YPG is a meaningful measuring stick in 2019 you must not be paying much attention.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, had he been put behind the 8ball like the midget was last season, he isn’t fast enough or a good enough passer to dig out of that hole.

It's his decision making that would have given the defense more chances for a big play/TO imo of course

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

He made the exact same mistake last year and started emphasizing that stuff around game 9. Can’t do that 2 years in a row.  Who says Herman doesn’t comprehend it? UDontKnow whether Herman’s already decided he’s hiring a new DC this offseason. Nobody had even a hint that Warehime would get demoted and Hand would be hired until it was announced.

Doesn't Orlando's 3yr contract go thru 2020 season?  Any info on what the buyout might be for TO?  How good a DC is Chris Ash and did he run a 3 or 4man front??

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Doesn't Orlando's 3yr contract go thru 2020 season?  Any info on what the buyout might be for TO?  How good a DC is Chris Ash?

Orlando’s contract isn’t a factor. If Herman decides to move on, the buyout won’t be a problem.

If Herman does move on, Ash should not be the hire. 

Am I crazy or does it just make too much sense to scrap TO's dumb scheme and go to a conventional 4-2-5 scheme that puts Ossai on the backside edge and the secondary plays a healthy mixture of man/zone where safeties and corners actually have reads. I am so frustrated watching Ossai defending in space when he is our absolute best pass rusher by far and is just middle of the pack defending in space. Why would we do that? And then watch our safeties not go through reads on the receivers but instead just watch the QB and get beat over and over and over again. 

At Lake Travis, we essentially play TCU's defense. The safeties and corners and linebackers all have reads. No one just watches the QB. The safety reads from the #2 receiver to the #1. and the Corner does the same. There are NEVER receivers running all alone down the field. There are never busted coverages. And LT plays spread offenses every single week. Its just insane that a HIgh School plays better, more disciplined defense than Texas. I just dont get it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Am I crazy or does it just make too much sense to scrap TO's dumb scheme and go to a conventional 4-2-5 scheme that puts Ossai on the backside edge and the secondary plays a healthy mixture of man/zone where safeties and corners actually have reads. I am so frustrated watching Ossai defending in space when he is our absolute best pass rusher by far and is just middle of the pack defending in space. Why would we do that? And then watch our safeties not go through reads on the receivers but instead just watch the QB and get beat over and over and over again. 

At Lake Travis, we essentially play TCU's defense. The safeties and corners and linebackers all have reads. No one just watches the QB. The safety reads from the #2 receiver to the #1. and the Corner does the same. There are NEVER receivers running all alone down the field. There are never busted coverages. And LT plays spread offenses every single week. Its just insane that a HIgh School plays better, more disciplined defense than Texas. I just dont get it. 

i mean, not to be the asshole here but comparing the opponents that Lake fucking Travis plays and the opponents that the Texas Longhorns play is pretty hilarious. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Which central Texas HS with Conner, Cooper, and Quinn playing WR does Lincoln Riley coach?  The 4-2-5 is a fine scheme, but it also has its issues. TCU defense struggled a ton and got lit up by SMU and ISU already this year.

Orlando prefers to run a lot of quarters where the defenders do have reads/assignments, but our CBs have been so bad he’s tried to use ISU’s 3-8 cloud (where it’s heavily zone based with eyes on the QB). Problem is, that system takes a ton of reps and we don’t have those, so we don’t execute it nearly as well. 

Orlando has major issues and we don’t have a clear base defense at this point, which is a huge problem, but a 3-3-5 vs. 4-2-5 isn’t the answer. I do think Ossai needs  to get to rush the passer more, but Orlando can do that within his scheme. Before UT, he utilized the B-backer as an edge defender almost every play and had a lot of success with it. The biggest issues with the defense are just fundamental coaching breakdowns right now. It’s much bigger than scheme at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i mean, not to be the asshole here but comparing the opponents that Lake fucking Travis plays and the opponents that the Texas Longhorns play is pretty hilarious. 

No worries. I agree it seems that way but its all relative right? Its not like the concepts that Riley runs are much different if at all than a lot of the more advanced Texas HS spread teams. My point is Texas should be able to defend their opponents as well if not better if they employed the correct scheme to actually defend a spread offense. I dont care if you run a 3 man front or 4 man front. But you have to get pressure on the QB. You can't just try to be complex and unpredictable for the sake of being complex and unpredictable. It has to be effective. I dont really care what coverages you run behind whatever front you're using but the secondary has to go through reads. Safeties can't backpedal and watch the QB while receivers are crossing over from one side to the other getting lost in the process because the safety never bothered to actually go through his reads. maybe its all youth. but it sure feels like the scheme is flawed and fundamentals are not being taught. 

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Which central Texas HS with Conner, Cooper, and Quinn playing WR does Lincoln Riley coach?  The 4-2-5 is a fine scheme, but it also has its issues. TCU defense struggled a ton and got lit up by SMU and ISU already this year.

Orlando prefers to run a lot of quarters where the defenders do have reads/assignments, but our CBs have been so bad he’s tried to use ISU’s 3-8 cloud (where it’s heavily zone based with eyes on the QB). Problem is, that system takes a ton of reps and we don’t have those, so we don’t execute it nearly as well. 

Orlando has major issues and we don’t have a clear base defense at this point, which is a huge problem, but a 3-3-5 vs. 4-2-5 isn’t the answer. I do think Ossai needs  to get to rush the passer more, but Orlando can do that within his scheme. Before UT, he utilized the B-backer as an edge defender almost every play and had a lot of success with it. The biggest issues with the defense are just fundamental coaching breakdowns right now. It’s much bigger than scheme at this point.

Again, Riley's concepts arent unique or even novel. They are executed well by good athletes. Texas's defense should be able to match in terms of athleticism and execution. Texas fails on the execution.

I am not married to the 4-2-5. I just think it provides fewer issues than a 3-3-5. But either will work when executed correctly. We do not do that. Yes, TCU has struggled. They are not a good team this year. But no one doubts GP's defensive scheme.

I understand what Orlando runs. We play a mix of cover 4 and man, split the field down the middle and play a different coverage on each side of the field. Our safeties and corners do not go through reads when they are in cover 4 or cover 5 or cover 2 or cover 3. They dont do it in special or split against three man sets. We allow folks to run down and across the field because they are all watching the QB instead of going through reads. Even in ISU's 3-8 cloud, your eyes are on the QB at first, then your eyes go to your reads, if someone comes into your zone you are supposed to pick them up, not keep watching the Qb and guarding grass. 

I agree. I dont really care about what defense it is other than we are making it more complicated than it needs to be. And Ossai needs to rush the passer! I feel like we are back to Manny Fucking Diaz at this point. I get it, the scheme works when everyone understands it and is on the same page. But when we are young and they don't understand it and are all on different pages, then simplify it and let them grow into it. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

Just now, LTtxfan said:

@Burt Macklin  Who would be your Top 2 or 3 candidates for the Horns new DC to replace TO?

It’s hard to say, which is part of why I’m more hesitant to say we should definitely fire Orlando, though I am leaning that way for sure and will probably be there by the end of the season.

A lot of DCs with glowing resumes have gotten eaten alive in the Big 12, so extensive experience against the spread is a must. I like Heacock becuase he’s had 3 years of good to great defense in the Big 12 without highly rated recruits, but Idk what he’s like as a recruiter. He’s also been a coach for 35 years and just became a P5 DC like three years ago, so I wonder why it took so long.

Leonard at UW would be a home run but he’s probably looking for a HC gig. Andy Avalos at Oregon would be another interesting one, but I doubt we could money whip Oregon, so he might not be attainable.
Steele’s done a great job at Auburn lately. Deruyter at Cal is another intriguing option. I’ve been impressed with their defense.  
 Maybe Clark Lea at ND (there’s the 4-2-5 people want) and I like what Bateman’s done at Army and UNC so far, though he seems like a bit of a stretch.

im sure there’s others I’m missing, but I don’t see a clear great hire that would be attainable at the moment. Having said that, Orlando may be bad enough to, at least hopefully, force Herman’s hand if the defense keeps up the way it has so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s hard to say, which is part of why I’m more hesitant to say we should definitely fire Orlando, though I am leaning that way for sure and will probably be there by the end of the season.

A lot of DCs with glowing resumes have gotten eaten alive in the Big 12, so extensive experience against the spread is a must. I like Heacock becuase he’s had 3 years of good to great defense in the Big 12 without highly rated recruits, but Idk what he’s like as a recruiter. He’s also been a coach for 35 years and just became a P5 DC like three years ago, so I wonder why it took so long.

Leonard at UW would be a home run but he’s probably looking for a HC gig. Andy Avalos at Oregon would be another interesting one, but I doubt we could money whip Oregon, so he might not be attainable.
Steele’s done a great job at Auburn lately. Deruyter at Cal is another intriguing option. I’ve been impressed with their defense.  
 Maybe Clark Lea at ND (there’s the 4-2-5 people want) and I like what Bateman’s done at Army and UNC so far, though he seems like a bit of a stretch.

im sure there’s others I’m missing, but I don’t see a clear great hire that would be attainable at the moment. Having said that, Orlando may be bad enough to, at least hopefully, force Herman’s hand if the defense keeps up the way it has so far. 

im not on the "fire TO" boat at this point. i just want him to simplify and let his athletes play. i really thought this year was going to be a 3 man front with BJ to the field and Ossai to the boundary and one of those guys would blitz, becoming the 4th rusher, on every pass play. I thought that sort of D would give offensive coordinators nightmares when you have a strong pocket pushing / collapsing up the middle type rush from the 3 man line. But that has not come to pass at all. I also thought our Joker set with BJ or DO in the middle of the field was a perfect D to shut down the RPO used extensively by LSU. Im not sure we played it much but that whole game is a blur at this point. And if we did, i didnt see the Joker take the head off of any receiver running a slant right into where the Joker should be located. Its all just maddening because it seems like the coaches do not have a good feel for their players' understanding of their schemes.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

im not on the "fire TO" boat at this point. i just want him to simplify and let his athletes play. i really thought this year was going to be a 3 man front with BJ to the field and Ossai to the boundary and one of those guys would blitz, becoming the 4th rusher, on every pass play. I thought that sort of D would give offensive coordinators nightmares when you have a strong pocket pushing / collapsing up the middle type rush from the 3 man line. But that has not come to pass at all. I also thought our Joker set with BJ or DO in the middle of the field was a perfect D to shut down the RPO used extensively by LSU. Im not sure we played it much but that whole game is a blur at this point. And if we did, i didnt see the Joker take the head off of any receiver running a slant right into where the Joker should be located. Its all just maddening because it seems like the coaches do not have a good feel for their players' understanding of their schemes.

My biggest problem with TO even if he does simplify and execute better is he’s now done this 2 years in a row, where he basically has to hit reset midseason. If he didn’t learn his lesson last year, who’s to say it won’t happen next year too? I also thought he’d use Ossai and BJ on the edge much more often, but instead he keeps opting for bringing an unexpected rusher that isn’t well disguised and doesn’t get home. He does seem to obsessed with scheming calls rather than letting his athletes play, and I’m not sure what he would have to do to make me believe he’s learned that lesson for next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoRagrets said:

Herman brought in a few coaches to consult on offense. Why doesn’t he do the same on defense?

He just brought in Chris Ash and we do have other lower profile QCs on defense, but yeah, he needs to beef up the defensive QC spots and also allocate at least one more position coach slot to defense, instead of going 6-4 offense when he’s an offense-minded HC.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My biggest problem with TO even if he does simplify and execute better is he’s now done this 2 years in a row, where he basically has to hit reset midseason. If he didn’t learn his lesson last year, who’s to say it won’t happen next year too? I also thought he’d use Ossai and BJ on the edge much more often, but instead he keeps opting for bringing an unexpected rusher that isn’t well disguised and doesn’t get home. He does seem to obsessed with scheming calls rather than letting his athletes play, and I’m not sure what he would have to do to make me believe he’s learned that lesson for next year.

I think you're spot on here. BJ and Ossai are your best, most natural pass rushers. And we saw that against Georgia. And that is what I thought our D was going to look like this season. I think TO grew up as a D coordinator having to scheme to offset a disadvantage in talent. He doesnt need to do that anymore. If we move on from TO, and I dont think we will, we need to find a DC that understands that when talent is in your favor or equal, let the boys play fast and hard. 

I just go back to rushing Ossai on every pass play and letting a college LT stop a future 1st round draft pick from getting to the QB. At that point, it covers up a lot of mistakes on the backend and would allow us to grow as a defense. But not getting pressure and dropping BJ and Ossai and rushing run stopping Dlineman and maybe a run stopping linebacker is just madness...

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

What pisses me off is that all the things TO mentions in the PC are things that could have been corrected and half time. But instead they just got worse in the 2nd half. Where was the "God Dammit Team, quit fing launching your body and wrap up and drive through the ball carrier!!!!!!!!!!!" talk at half time???

I said before the season began our defense was going to have some growing pains despite more talent, but tackling fundamentals are taught in Jr High. Good grief. It just seems like we do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.

What the hell has been in the water at Bellmont over the past decade? 

In Manny Diaz's first year our defense was stout, then he forgot what the hell he was doing in 2012, and appeared to intentionally get himself fired in 2013.

Charlie Strong's defense in his first year was pretty good and kept us in a few games despite Shawn Watson's best efforts to run one of the most regarded offenses in recent memory.  By his third year the defense looked like Grade A certified dog shit.

Todd Orlando appears headed in the same direction. 

It's been alluded to, but I think a lot of DCs without experience in the B12 (and/or experience generally) seem to think that they need to come up with the defensive "answer" to the spread-ish offenses in the conference.  And that leads them to flailing around with "exotic" or gimmicky schemes that detract from playing solid, fundamental defense.  In year 1, the "scheme" is only partially implemented, and fundamental defense concepts prevail. In years 2 and 3, the "scheme" starts to take over practices and everything goes to shit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What the hell has been in the water at Bellmont over the past decade? 

In Manny Diaz's first year our defense was stout, then he forgot what the hell he was doing in 2012, and appeared to intentionally get himself fired in 2013.

Charlie Strong's defense in his first year was pretty good and kept us in a few games despite Shawn Watson's best efforts to run one of the most regarded offenses in recent memory.  By his third year the defense looked like Grade A certified dog shit.

Todd Orlando appears headed in the same direction. 

I feel like we had this discussion a few pages back (not a dig, but deja vu all over again for me), but I think it's:

1) not adapting after opposing OCs get tape on you

2) keeping things simple and adjusting the scheme to fit the players in year 1, while getting cute and complicated in year 3 and trying to impose your preferred scheme irrespective of the players we have

3) a degradation of fundamentals, which goes back to 2.  

• Like 4

Since the most likely outcome is the coaching staff stays the same, and because people are generally resistant to change, what are the reasons we were successful on defense in 2017 (except for Maryland and KSU) and can we replicate it in 2020?

I seem to remember the key guys being a disruptive NT in Poona (4th year), freak athlete LB in Malik (3rd year), shutdown corner in Hill (3rd year) until he was suspended.  Then you had Elliott (3rd year) and Hall (4th year) who were solid.

How much better will Coburn, Ojomo, and Sweat be next year?  What if Jalen Green were healthy?  Can we find 2 LBs who have good enough recognition and instincts to play fast?

3 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Since the most likely outcome is the coaching staff stays the same, and because people are generally resistant to change, what are the reasons we were successful on defense in 2017 (except for Maryland and KSU) and can we replicate it in 2020?

I seem to remember the key guys being a disruptive NT in Poona (4th year), freak athlete LB in Malik (3rd year), shutdown corner in Hill (3rd year) until he was suspended.  Then you had Elliott (3rd year) and Hall (4th year) who were solid.

How much better will Coburn, Ojomo, and Sweat be next year?  What if Jalen Green were healthy?  Can we find 2 LBs who have good enough recognition and instincts to play fast?

I think thats part of the frustration. Clearly we are better when we have more experienced players. But when we dont have that kind of experience, why dont we adjust our schemes and calls to suit our superior athletes and minimize our lack of experience?

I think all of those guys will be considerably better. But we cant just have a good D when all of our guys are 3 and 4 year starters. We need to be able to teach more effectively and adjust more rapidly.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

I think thats part of the frustration. Clearly we are better when we have more experienced players. But when we dont have that kind of experience, why dont we adjust our schemes and calls to suit our superior athletes and minimize our lack of experience?

I agree with you but since I don't see much changing this year, I am at least trying to stay positive since we almost certainly won't have a coaching change.

I also don't think it was just more experience.  We didn't have a stud B-backer like Ossai in 2017 and still managed to be successful.  Does Orlando need talent at certain positions?

3 minutes ago, Yesh said:

I agree with you but since I don't see much changing this year, I am at least trying to stay positive since we almost certainly won't have a coaching change.

I also don't think it was just more experience.  We didn't have a stud B-backer like Ossai in 2017 and still managed to be successful.  Does Orlando need talent at certain positions?

My theory on 2017, in keeping with mine and bschoolprof's posts, is that Bedford wasn't a gimmick coordinator, but maybe just a mediocre coach hampered by even more mediocre staff in Jennings.  Thus, the 2017 players weren't taught some fucked up system they had to unlearn, but did get some degree of fundamental coaching that served them well while starting on the Orlando gimmick plan.  There was some unique talent there, also.

Same-ish for 2014.  The team was recovering from Diaz' fucked up gimmicks and had been fundamentally coached by Gerg.  Also Chris Vaughn was pretty decent as a coach/teacher.

Right on cue, we have the mid-season “we have to simplify the defense and get back to teaching the basics.”
folks, that’s total admission that they, as teachers, have completely failed in their jobs.
we might have a problem.

This. The way he explained watching the practice/game film to see what they can handle and simplify from there, halfway through the year, is astounding.

That's the opposite of any successful educator. You build a solid foundation and push the boundary as needed/able.

I doubt TO would like it if he had a HS freshman kid who came home with calculus homework on the first day of algebra because the teacher wanted to see what they could handle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol

19 minutes ago, Yesh said:

yeah i dont remember who was playing B backer then. Hughes? Roach? Hager? All of the above? But with Charles O and Poona, we could get pressure on the passer from several spots. 

Poona Ford and Holton Hill were elite, All American caliber players. Ford in particular is fucking crazy good, ask the Seahawks. That's just not there right now, and that counts for something, though it's not an excuse.

Michael Dickson is also a big, often overlooked part of that success. That defense pretty much never started past the 20 aside from turnovers, and often had teams well inside of it.

Overall I'm sure there's some truth to all the reasons given - less complex defense in year one, youth, key defensive talent departing - for the issues emerging over time. Unfortunately those weren't exactly hard to see coming, and the fact that Orlando did little to no work to adjust to the youth and skill set of this year's roster is the biggest red flag for me.

You cannot be stubborn in a sport with the roster turnover like you have in college football.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

yeah i dont remember who was playing B backer then. Hughes? Roach? Hager? All of the above? But with Charles O and Poona, we could get pressure on the passer from several spots. 

Elliot/Jones and Locke were twin nickels.  So technically it was Hughes, but he didn't play much.

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Right on cue, we have the mid-season “we have to simplify the defense and get back to teaching the basics.”

folks, that’s total admission that they, as teachers, have completely failed in their jobs.

we might have a problem.

And always after losing to ou. Looks like Herman is ready to truly follow in Mack’s footsteps

• Like 1

How can you forget Anthony Wheeler?

We were sitting around discussing Diaz vs Orlando and all of the similarities. Then I made the bright comment, “well Manny was young at the time. He probably just needed more experience. Maybe it’s the same thing with Orlando.” Orlando is 48. Not good Bob.

7 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The ends always single-gap. 

The nose does both.

The nose covers 1 gap. The Will/Rover covers the other. But it changes for the Nose depending and the Will/Rover has to read and adapt behind him. But the Nose is not asked to be responsible for, or hold, or play 2 gaps like some old school 3-4 defenses.

Edited by Longhorn94

10 hours ago, NoName said:

because from a YPG standpoint, nothing has changed since the 69 National Championship team and today - or even the 97 Mackovic team...right?

if you think that YPG is a meaningful measuring stick in 2019 you must not be paying much attention.

Yes. I realize it's a shorthand for a bunch of other problems, like no sacks and poor tackling. For example, we gave up 511 yards to Oklahoma, of which 195 were after missed tackles. So yes, I think the screwups show themselves as yards given up. 486 yards to a shitty WVU team. It's not a perfect stat, but none are.

The bottom line is that the product on the field sucks on the defensive side. Did you listen to LHN during halftime? If we clean it up and make to the CCG, OK. If not, I say fire the guy. We aren't doing the fundamentals. That's a coaching failure. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Yes. I realize it's a shorthand for a bunch of other problems, like no sacks and poor tackling. For example, we gave up 511 yards to Oklahoma, of which 195 were after missed tackles. So yes, I think the screwups show themselves as yards given up. 486 yards to a shitty WVU team. It's not a perfect stat, but none are.

The bottom line is that the product on the field sucks on the defensive side. Did you listen to LHN during halftime? If we clean it up and make to the CCG, OK. If not, I say fire the guy. We aren't doing the fundamentals. That's a coaching failure. 

this isn't complex.

YPG is a bad metric to use as a measuring stick for defense quality in 2019.

make complaints about Todd Orlando, but using YPG as your measuring stick or a reason that he is shitty is poor when there are actual legitimate complaints to make.

DFEI, for example, has Texas at #30 overall defensive team. in part, this is going to be because they have faced FEI's 4th hardest offensive schedule using their "average per possession defensive opponent adjustment"

blast Orlando for good reasons. but blasting him for YPG is a poor measuring stick and isn't a really a valid complaint in 2019. choosing to use bad measures at this point in time is lazy.

this isn't complex.
YPG is a bad metric to use as a measuring stick for defense quality in 2019.
make complaints about Todd Orlando, but using YPG as your measuring stick or a reason that he is shitty is poor when there are actual legitimate complaints to make.
DFEI, for example, has Texas at #30 overall defensive team. in part, this is going to be because they have faced FEI's 4th hardest offensive schedule using their "average per possession defensive opponent adjustment"
blast Orlando for good reasons. but blasting him for YPG is a poor measuring stick and isn't a really a valid complaint in 2019. choosing to use bad measures at this point in time is lazy.

How bout yards per missed tackle?