To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Master of shit defenses????   Got it covered Tom.

Signed Todd and the staff.

25 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I wish I had footage to GIF, but I swear on at least 1 or 2 of the blitzes from Africa, I noticed a player practically jogging. Maybe he was spying the QB or some shit, but to me it looked like he was so certain the blitz was going to fail, that he was just trying not to run himself out of the play.

so, i said this on the other thread, but orlando runs this scheme because herman allows him to run this scheme. orlando is in charge of the defense, but so is herman. if it ain't working, and it ain't fucking working, then take some steps to fix it.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We have the only 3 man front I've see that plays so close together.

I dunno man, watch more football?

Heacock:

Screen-Shot-2018-05-12-at-4.00.39-PM.png

Smart:

Bear-Header.png?resize=768,279&ssl=1

Venables:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-01-at-1.41.31-PM.png

Aranda:

tite-front.jpg?w=1000&h=547

Leonhard:

Tite_Wisconsin.jpg

Lake:

Tite_Washington.jpg

Avalos:

Tite_Boise.jpg

....this could go on forever, it's the hottest defense in CFB right now.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

so, i said this on the other thread, but orlando runs this scheme because herman allows him to run this scheme. orlando is in charge of the defense, but so is herman. if it ain't working, and it ain't fucking working, then take some steps to fix it.

I think he would if he could.  Much like taking over the play calling from Beck.  He can't take over the defense and he has no one on that side to hand it to.  If he had some forethought in the offseason he might've hired a defensive qc guy, ala Gerg, but no such animal exists.

3 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

I think he would if he could.  Much like taking over the play calling from Beck.  He can't take over the defense and he has no one on that side to hand it to.  If he had some forethought in the offseason he might've hired a defensive qc guy, ala Gerg, but no such animal exists.

I don't even mean replace orlando. Just tell him to unfuck himself and pull his head out of his ass. 

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

herman has no back up plan.  he's all in on the injury excuse for Orlando this year.

Similar to FUPM and “ we are a young team”

The  thing is, even 3rd stringers had skills when they made the team. The schemes are bizarre. Oh well I guess TH doesn’t want a long tenure here.

Coach New Potato sure does squint a lot when the cameras pick him up on the sidelines. Maybe he has vision problems and cannot tell who or which unit is on the field, just trying to make sense of the decomposing vomit on the field.
hqdefault.jpg
Opposing teams must be in a quandary trying to figure out whether to whether to abuse our pass defense or rush defense. So many choices.
I agree, the way he squints is ridiculous.  He can't see right.  Not that I think it would help if he could.

It makes sense now. Todd Orlando is the love child of GG and Charlie Strong. Together, he possesses even more Texas-destroying ability than the sum of his parts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Similar to FUPM and “ we are a young team”

The  thing is, even 3rd stringers had skills when they made the team. The schemes are bizarre. Oh well I guess TH doesn’t want a long tenure here.

Youth and inexperience are certainly good reasons to not be elite...but you still have to put your guys into position to make the plays and they have to show good fundamentals. Every player on your team needs to be coached up and ready to play. 

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Haven't watched as much Bama this year, as they've played few "good" games.  But they ran the Tite front almost every down last year.

Saban generally puts his passing strength end in a true 4, and he single-gaps the nose, so I dunno if it's a "true" Tite, but he certainly was inspired by it.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Iowa State is the only one of those screenshots, and the only one from what I’ve seen of these teams more generally, that only plays with 3 on the LOS consistently.  All of those other examples have a LB on the LOS outside.  He might be standing up and can drop into coverage or rush, but he’s in position to defend the edge or rush.  

I don't know what to tell you besides that's more aligning to the opponent and formation.  Everyone above does both including Orlando.

There is an exclusively 4-down Tite variation that Orlando created at UH and helped Smart to implement.  I was careful to grab "true" Tite's or Tite-Stacks where possible.  Aranda is the only one above who has actually forced a 4-down call on that play.

Edited by JBJ

watching the replay we are so unsound in our fundamentals.  we play we horrible with leverage(I mean the player specific type, no scheme).  we keep trying to do other players jobs.  we can't cover a simple slant because we don't move our feet.  we can't tackle.  Its an all around clusterfuck from scheme to fundamentals but if we had the fundamentals the scheme might be good enough to at least get a few stops a game.

Sam and the O are going to have to play perfect to win even 4 of the next 5.    We damn sure can't throw picks and fumble in our own end.

I know this is the TO sucks thread but the slant call backed up was too damn obvious after we did it three times against OU.  Sam does have to see him but I hope we hav some type of constraint play off that.

Edited by dcar00

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I wish I had footage to GIF, but I swear on at least 1 or 2 of the blitzes from Africa, I noticed a player practically jogging. Maybe he was spying the QB or some shit, but to me it looked like he was so certain the blitz was going to fail, that he was just trying not to run himself out of the play.

It’s gonna take a lot for me to drag the QB down 

There’s nothing that eleven men or more could ever do 

I blitz from down in Africa 

Gonna take another DC to do the schemes we never had

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, JBJ said:

I dunno man, watch more football?

Heacock:

Screen-Shot-2018-05-12-at-4.00.39-PM.png

Smart:

Bear-Header.png?resize=768,279&ssl=1

Venables:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-01-at-1.41.31-PM.png

Aranda:

tite-front.jpg?w=1000&h=547

Leonhard:

Tite_Wisconsin.jpg

Lake:

Tite_Washington.jpg

Avalos:

Tite_Boise.jpg

....this could go on forever, it's the hottest defense in CFB right now.

I'm only considering Iowa St a 3-man front from those photos. I'm talking about stuff like this:

The have a tight end on right so of course we put extra on the other side...and front in inside the tackles

2019-10-22-22-09-08.png

Again tight end.. add a fullback... yeah we good...

2019-10-22-22-09-49.png

Huh? What is this going to stop?

2019-10-22-22-11-07.png

3 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

It’s gonna take a lot for me to drag the QB down 

There’s nothing that eleven men or more could ever do 

I blitz from down in Africa 

Gonna take another DC to do the schemes we never had

I hear the surl echoing tonight
But they hear only bitching on a 2-point con-ver-si-on
Winning is hard, at home, at night
The moonlit Pom reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
I stopped a mad hatter along the way
Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry Tom, Bevo's waiting there for you"

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

six vs. three on the line.  You might as well have 0 against six.   

There's nothing inherently wrong with lining up in dime against 11 personnel if your defense is in sync and knows what it's doing. Usually the line will slant to one side of the formation and string the run out, while the LBs keep contain and shoot the gap when they get an opening.

In 2017 we lured a ton of teams into trying (and failing) to run on us with dime formation.

• Like 1

SiAP

(Eric Nahlin) Herman and Del Conte, Von Mises and Hayek

After the LSU game, I never would have guessed the defense would get worse but that's where we are.

SMH.

This puts our reporting in a tough spot. I'm really tired of covering coaching changes or the potential of them. Doing so in October is especially tough because everyone is in purgatory. There's still a lot of football left, and we're not giving up on the season, but we'd be remiss if we didn't share what we're hearing behind the scenes. To this point, we think it's too early for anything to be decided on coaching changes, but based on what we've heard, we think things are trending in that direction. These early rumblings usually precede an earthquake.

Part of what makes Texas Athletic Director Chris Del Conte great is his accessibility. This helps him excel as a fundraiser, which at Texas, is as important as athletic oversight. The problem, for him, is about 100 of the top donors have his phone number and they constantly bombard him when things are going poorly. They don't even have to go through an assistant. Given how the last two weeks have gone, the donors are quite unhappy especially after shelling out so much money since Del Conte's arrival.

Donations and football are used for the overall mission of the school, not just facilities and the like. This is something I've mentioned in the past that Greg Fenves understands quite well. He's not Bill Powers in that regard. Also mentioned in the past, Del Conte and Herman have a solid working relationship but calling them friends would be a stretch. Further, Herman doesn't have the goodwill capital that Mack Brown had with DeLoss Dodds and Bill Powers. Herman doesn't have the same capital in place with donors that Mack did either.

I think there's plenty of room between Mack Brown's coziness to donors and Charlie Strong's distance, but Herman, perhaps surprisingly, is closer to Strong in his relationship building. Herman sees himself as a football coach, not a glad-handing politician (I don't blame him). That doesn't matter when you're winning, but it does matter when you have back to back embarrassing performances, one to your biggest rival, one to a basketball school that lost to Coastal freaking Carolina. Keep in mind Herman was already feeling pressure from above for the defense's play versus LSU and things have only gotten worse.

Herman clearly has a lot of self-belief in his ability to navigate difficult situations through his own intellect. I'm reminded of a comparison between Ludwig Von Mises and his pupil Friedrich Hayek. The apolitical story goes, if tasked with placing a walking path on a college campus for students to walk to class, Von Mises would rely on his own intelligence to place the path on the optimal route. He was not known to be humble; he had all the answers, after all. Hayek on the other hand, who was known for humility, would place the path where the students were already walking.

Whether it's stubbornly playing a poor option at tight end in 2017 rather than going to 10 personnel (Garrett Gray over Lil'Jordan Humphrey), having an indefensible imbalance with offensive/defensive coaches, or his refusal to kick field goals (sometimes warranted, sometimes not), Herman is telling the world he knows exactly where the path should go.

There's a chance Herman puts that path right down the middle of the Big 12, but some changes are almost certainly needed to do so. Based on what I'm hearing, those changes may take place whether he wants to make them or not.

First time I've seen the Hayek-von Mises gag this century, I think.

It's apropos in the instant situation, although I see it a little bit differently than the scribes mentioned above. My hope is that either MensaTom slaps the shit outta Orlando and Beck, and puts a stop to the crapfest (EDIT: Horny just needs to go, whether he's fucking up the ST or no) or he cans those coaches deemed responsible for the crap and hires replacements who can, for example, teach receivers to run routes, and fight for the ball, and take both pride and pleasure in blocking for teammates who are carrying the ball (looking at you, fired former Rutgers OC).

If you don't have a single TE who can actually block and actually catch, maybe the thing to do is not call plays that absolutely demand the TE to do one or the other, if not both.

God dammit, now you've got me pissed off. And here I was, thinking the kudos MensaTom heaped on hos mentor, GDGD, were just coach-speak - never occurred to me he was serious.

Never mind, return to regularly scheduled de-programming.

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

God dammit, now you've got me pissed off. And here I was, thinking the kudos MensaTom heaped on hos mentor, GDGD, were just coach-speak - never occurred to me he was serious.

There are two head coaches I can think of who praised (and still praise) GDGD. If Herman craps out as spectacularly as Applewhite, we have only ourselves to blame.

15 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm only considering Iowa St a 3-man front from those photos. I'm talking about stuff like this:

The have a tight end on right so of course we put extra on the other side...and front in inside the tackles

2019-10-22-22-09-08.png

Again tight end.. add a fullback... yeah we good...

2019-10-22-22-09-49.png

Huh? What is this going to stop?

2019-10-22-22-11-07.png

What I am getting out of these looks, is a desperate attempt of not getting burned by big runs from the running back like years past.

But at the same time the OL is getting to the 2nd level and putting a hat on the LBs and getting chunks of yards and back eight getting lost in coverage during pass plays.

TO sucks at hiding his scheme and cannot adjust in game. We're basically going to be shootouts the rest of the season.

34 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Please tell me it didn’t take you this long to come to that decision. That’s been evident since LA Tech.

Against LSU on the last drive I was yelling. Please defense do what you have not done all game and make a stop! I actually had hope. In the Oklahoma game I was thinking, I wonder how we get scored on again now that we need a stop? I hated the Orlando hire then a few games here and there made me think he would be just fine. Well he sure seems inept and those few games here and there now appear to be the exception instead of the rule.

I feel we are back to the Mackovic days in which offense when playing well can't be stopped but it will not matter because all games are a coin flip since defense can't stop anyone either and the head man is not going to make a change. We may win a conference title but the NC does not feel anywhere near to something this staff can achieve. Just like the Mackovic days some good times will be had but reaching for the stars is just a pipe dream.

34 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What do you think is wrong here?

BJ Foster has no chance whatsoever of covering the slot on any out-breaking route. From a run play perspective it's fine.

Coincidentally enough, we stopped a run on this play and then gave up a slot out route for the first down on the next play.

Edited to add that I should clarify that by alignment it could also be fine against the pass, but I'm biased based on the actual coverages we run and the skill with which we execute those coverages. When I say BJ Foster has no shot at covering an out-breaking route I say that because I can tell by alignment that Jamison is locked in man on the outside receiver and Foster is responsible for any route from the slot of less than 10 yards. If we were running a different coverage and running it well we could make this work without a problem.

Edited by Huckleberry

54 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

BJ Foster has no chance whatsoever of covering the slot on any out-breaking route. From a run play perspective it's fine.

Coincidentally enough, we stopped a run on this play and then gave up a slot out route for the first down on the next play.

Edited to add that I should clarify that by alignment it could also be fine against the pass, but I'm biased based on the actual coverages we run and the skill with which we execute those coverages. When I say BJ Foster has no shot at covering an out-breaking route I say that because I can tell by alignment that Jamison is locked in man on the outside receiver and Foster is responsible for any route from the slot of less than 10 yards. If we were running a different coverage and running it well we could make this work without a problem.

That's not Sky it's Read.  You just threw into the trap.  But lucky for you Brandon Jones is there, so 10 yard gain.