To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't want to take away from the bashing of how the staff teaches, or doesn't teach, tackling because I agree with it. But when it comes to tackling being worse across the sport, I think two things are largely to blame:

1.) Modern offenses place a much bigger emphasis on both getting their guys the ball in space, often with numbers advantages, and creating assignment/ positioning conflicts for defenders. It's a lot harder to tackle Devin Duvernay once he gets going on the perimeter and can cut any way he wants than it is to tackle some tailback in the box out of the I. Similarly, if a slant freezes a LB on a RPO, they aren't bringing nearly as much momentum if/when they meet the RB in the box. They are just trying to recover and get to the spot at all.

2.) As the game has evolved and gotten more pass heavy, more DBs are involved in making first contact. This is both because defenses are playing more DBs and, with the ball going to the perimeter or downfield more often, DBs are the ones there. DBs are not as good of tacklers as LBs, not much else to that.

I do think there's probably something to the less physical practice thing but I also think it's both overblown by fat old dudes and a net positive for the game in terms of health/safety.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You said what I was trying to say, only you said it better and clearer. 

I will add that while this may explain why 1) tackling isn’t as good as it used to be overall and is thus 2) more difficult to teach, some teams manage solid tackling. 

In this case, I will add that scheme is related to technique—because Orlando does not currently have a coherent scheme with roles/rules that carryover game to game, the guys are less confident and comfortable. Part of OU’s growth, for instance, is a consistent scheme that allows them to play with aggression (contrasted last year with Mike Stoops’s scheme, which was coherent but unsound and didn’t put them in position to be physical). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't want to take away from the bashing of how the staff teaches, or doesn't teach, tackling because I agree with it. But when it comes to tackling being worse across the sport, I think two things are largely to blame:

1.) Modern offenses place a much bigger emphasis on both getting their guys the ball in space, often with numbers advantages, and creating assignment/ positioning conflicts for defenders. It's a lot harder to tackle Devin Duvernay once he gets going on the perimeter and can cut any way he wants than it is to tackle some tailback in the box out of the I. Similarly, if a slant freezes a LB on a RPO, they aren't bringing nearly as much momentum if/when they meet the RB in the box. They are just trying to recover and get to the spot at all.

2.) As the game has evolved and gotten more pass heavy, more DBs are involved in making first contact. This is both because defenses are playing more DBs and, with the ball going to the perimeter or downfield more often, DBs are the ones there. DBs are not as good of tacklers as LBs, not much else to that.

I do think there's probably something to the less physical practice thing but I also think it's both overblown by fat old dudes and a net positive for the game in terms of health/safety.

I mentioned the limited practices but I didn't mean it as a wussification of the sport.  Just that overall the game seems sloppier, but as you point out it's gotten a lot more complex as well between rule changes and evolution of strategies.

3 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I listened to that as well. Thoughts on Orlando not wanting to build out the support staff on defense like we did on offense? It seems indefensible. (sorry for that) If Herman and Beck can take input from Fedora and Coleman, WTF Todd?

Agree but it shouldn’t be up to him, the head coach should make those program decisions.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Rule changes as well.  Football is inconsistent in how collision rules are enforced against a tackler and ball carrier. 

Rugby tackling is fun and all, but not when the ball carrier is allowed to knock the piss out of you.  Imagine rugby being played like this and then complaining about a tackling epidemic:

BnAUO3L.gif

Or just add the tackling rule from rugby, if you don't wrap up it's a penalty. Funny how that forces you to become a better form tackler. 

1 hour ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

The traditional tackle, or what I was taught 20 years ago, isn’t necessarily best practice anymore, I don’t believe. With Carroll and the Seahawks, we know they introduced the rugby-style tackling. And the last two years, Texas had some of the better tackling in the Big 12.

I don’t really have a point except to say that “breaking down” doesn’t really work anymore, especially as offenses design ways to get shifty fast dudes in space. You have to be aggressive. Breaking down in the open field just gives guys a two-way go, which is a death sentence. But as an alternative—again, whatever is being taught to the defense isn’t working this year. 

I will add, though, that the DBs have often avoided missed tackles this year by also taking bad angles, which is good of them. 

breaking down is to allow for other defenders to get there to help if the guy tries to make 2 moves.  we don't use leverage(sideline, other players, the players own momentum).  Even when we do have numbers we too often don't have a clue how to work together.  see Lamb.

we turn 10 yard plays into 40 yard TD's or long gains WAY too often.  I will say the blitzing from Pluto doesn't help in getting numbers to the ball carrier. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 2:49 PM, ousux said:

Exactly what I'm hoping for..

Convince him that anything less than a decent P5 offer wouldn't be worth it, just keep giving him raises to compensate.

But we may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves, remember the "Buenos Diaz Bitchez" t-shirts? So yeah..

You win the magic eight ball award

9 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

He has said he doesn’t have inside/exact knowledge of how they’re teaching. He bases it on the [entirely reasonable] inference from the rash of identical DB stinger/shoulder/arm injuries. And a tweet from PJ Locke this season saying they were taught to launch like a missile. 

So Scip is right, however he’s arriving at his conclusions—whatever they’re being taught ain’t working. 

DB's launching like a missile at a rb's legs sends the shoulder into a thigh.... shoulder loses.  Out of game.

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Between 1980-2010, only one Texas team was ever shut out. Greg Davis’s offense against OU, with two of the greatest offensive players in Texas history.

Again, let’s not say Greg Davis was not a beneficiary of circumstances. He’s better than Watson but not light years. His stench lingered for years since he left the cupboard bare at every position going into 2011, especially QB where Harsin relied on Ash/Case McCoy.

We also only beat kansas that year by 4.  So next year is it?!

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

At 2:25 in video,  Urban mentions that his 2013 team at ohio state was "very average at tackling".  He then goes on to say that in 2014 when they worked to improve tackling, they were #1 in fewest missed tackles.

Fyi:  2014 was Chris Ash's first year as DC at ohio state for Urban... and Herman was the OC.

Kinda funny, Wikipedia lists Chris Ash currently as an analyst for Texas...

Wikipedia:

Chris Ash (born December 24, 1973) is an American football coach, who is currently an analyst at the University of Texas. Previously, he was the head coach at Rutgers University from 2016–2019.

Chris Ash
Current position
Title Analyst
Team Texas
Conference Big 12
Biographical details
Born December 24, 1973 (age 45)
Ottumwa, Iowa
Playing career
1992–1995 Drake
Position(s) Defensive back
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1997 Drake (GA)
1998–1999 Drake (DC)
2000–2001 Iowa State (GA)
2002–2005 Iowa State (DB)
2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2007–2008 San Diego State (DB/RC)
2009 Iowa State University (DB/RC)
2010 Wisconsin (DB)
2011–2012 Wisconsin (DC/DB)
2013 Arkansas (DC/DB)
2014–2015 Ohio State (co-DC/S)
2016–2019 Rutgers
2019 Texas (Analyst)

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

At 2:25 in video,  Urban mentions that his 2013 team at ohio state was "very average at tackling".  He then goes on to say that in 2014 when they worked to improve tackling, they were #1 in fewest missed tackles.

Fyi:  2014 was Chris Ash's first year as DC at ohio state for Urban... and Herman was the OC.

Kinda funny, Wikipedia lists Chris Ash currently as an analyst for Texas...

Wikipedia:

Chris Ash (born December 24, 1973) is an American football coach, who is currently an analyst at the University of Texas. Previously, he was the head coach at Rutgers University from 2016–2019.

Chris Ash
Current position
Title Analyst
Team Texas
Conference Big 12
Biographical details
Born December 24, 1973 (age 45)
Ottumwa, Iowa
Playing career
1992–1995 Drake
Position(s) Defensive back
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1997 Drake (GA)
1998–1999 Drake (DC)
2000–2001 Iowa State (GA)
2002–2005 Iowa State (DB)
2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2007–2008 San Diego State (DB/RC)
2009 Iowa State University (DB/RC)
2010 Wisconsin (DB)
2011–2012 Wisconsin (DC/DB)
2013 Arkansas (DC/DB)
2014–2015 Ohio State (co-DC/S)
2016–2019 Rutgers
2019 Texas (Analyst)

What does wiki list Todd as?  Hopefully it’s a “stupid dick”.

Tom is obviously too Mackian for this situation.  TO was probably best man at Toms wedding or something.  There needs to be an adult in the room to make the objective call. That man, CDC, will make the call, or will he?  Say we end up 9-4; no b12 champ game, finish 1 in missed tackles, but there is a tiny sliver of improvement in points given up.  Does Tom make promises he can’t keep and we’re stuck with TO one more year?  

Tom is obviously too Mackian for this situation.  TO was probably best man at Toms wedding or something.  There needs to be an adult in the room to make the objective call. That man, CDC, will make the call, or will he?  Say we end up 9-4; no b12 champ game, finish 1 in missed tackles, but there is a tiny sliver of improvement in points given up.  Does Tom make promises he can’t keep and we’re stuck with TO one more year?  

Yes. Orlando is going to be here next year. The defense will get a little bit better after the bye as guys get healthy and that will be all Tom needs to see. Accept it.

23 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I listened to that as well. Thoughts on Orlando not wanting to build out the support staff on defense like we did on offense? It seems indefensible. (sorry for that) If Herman and Beck can take input from Fedora and Coleman, WTF Todd?

Adds some interesting context to the Chris Ash week long audit - or visit - or whatever it was.

• Like 1

I'm done with Orlando.

He's Manny Diaz Part II.

Never makes an adjustment to stop the run.

No gap integrity.

Every team we play gets to the edge pretty easily.

No pass rush.

Poor coverage.

Poor tackling.

We are just badly coached.  Period.  

In fact, being the DC of the worst Texas defense in history means that you're worse than the guy who got fired on the motherfucking plane ride back from Utah.