To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

Repost from game thread.

The purpose of a delayed blitz is to surprise the offense when they don’t think a blitz would be coming. We run the delayed blitz all the time in obvious blitzing situations. That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Good adjustment to tight coverage. They really only had success when we went away from it.

Which is mind bottling why we didn't play our corners up all game long.  Sucky QB, and we allow him to have easy, wide-open throws, followed by us missing a bunch of tackles.  I don't remember our D getting burned once when we played up, so what was Orlan_o so scared of?

Edited by OU Sucks

Just now, OU Sucks said:

Which is mind bottling why we didn't play our corners up all game long.  Sucky QB, and we allow him to throw easy pitch and catches, followed by us missing a bunch of tackles.  I don't remember our D getting burned once when we played up, so what was Orlan_o so scared of?

It happened just not for a huge gain.  

we never roll anyone over to cover the hot route created by a blitzer.  Very frustrating. 

29 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Good adjustment to tight coverage. They really only had success when we went away from it.

Is it really a “good” adjustment when color analyst Greg McElroy calls it out before it’s made?

more like a donkey-obvious adjustment after getting in a 14-point hole and letting a QB set a new career passing record  in one half.

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

Soo was Orlando relieved second half or something?  Big changed in stats  

Guys that haven't played in a long time got into a groove, some adjustments were made. Offense got some momentum our way and the guys played more relaxed.

• Like 1

Really impressive turn around by the defense for the last 3 quarters.  Gave up what 50 some yards to a good running team.  Keep it up.  Finally got some pressure and sacks.  Thought I heard Craig Way in the 3rd quarter mention a DL of Graham, Coburn, Roach and Ojomo.  We playing 4 DL now?  If so, sounds like it worked.  Defense was good in the second half. 

• Like 1

The defense played better In part due to getting healthy but a lot of it was KSU failing to do the things that have been clearly shown to beat us. They ran a ton of inside runs, which is their bread and butter, but also the strongest part of our defense and they should’ve utilized Thompson way more in the run game. 

Orlando did a good job of playing the DBs closer to take away all the short, easy stuff for Thompson, but he also never should’ve been giving that stuff up to begin with. 

• Like 1

Huh.  We finally played 4 DL (and generally more men in the box) and pressed against a running team and good things happened. 

Now let’s work on disguising our blitz and giving it some urgency.   Will probably see that after we lose to Tech next season.

Football is hard.  

Edited by Bateshorn

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I boggles my mind why any team runs the ball against Texas when moving the ball through the air at will is a given. Although Texas was much better in the 2nd half it still probably cost KSU the game. Thank you Kleiman for being a dummy.

It reminds of 2007 as I was having a conversation with a couple of alumni buddies about how the game against the agroids would go. Back then our pass defense sucked and I tried to explain that the agroids would exploit it and win. They insisted it didn't matter because aggy was a running team. Yet I said, "today they will become a passing team".

This was the main headline after the game, " Texas A&M QB Stephen McGee threw for a career-high 362 yards with three touchdowns ". How can these coaches making millions of $'s not know to take what the defense gives you? It's no rocket science, it's not even 8th grade chemistry. Again thank you Kleiman for being stubborn with your running game and playing right into the strength of the Texas defense.

The worst part of the career high thing is that nearly all of it came in the first half.

After 8.5 games, Orlando decided he'd try not conceding 10 yards on the perimeter every play and let his 4-5 star DBs cover instead of blitzing from different zip codes. KSU's offense was a non factor in the second half. This adjustment has been glaringly obvious for two months.

As I said earlier this week, Orlando makes defense a lot harder than he should be. His defense's fundamentals in terms of open field tackling, assignments, angles, etc are just as bad as Strong/Bedford's or Diaz's, and he is worth an opposing TD just on playcalling.

He is a fucking idiot. Plenty of coaches are bad teachers or communicators. Orlando is simply dumb. He needs to be fired. However, I expect him back despite Brock Purdy likely effectively ending Texas's season next Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Huh.  We finally played 4 DL (and generally more men in the box) and pressed against a running team and good things happened. 

Now let’s work on disguising our blitz and giving it some urgency.   Will probably see that after we lose to Tech next season.

Football is hard.  

I was told 4DL wouldn't work and it was stupid to try

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I don't believe anyone said that. What has been said is that 3DL, specifically a tite front, vs 4DL isn't the issue. Yeah, some 4 DL looks were thrown in. Texas still played the majority of the game with 3 DL, and often walked Ossai up to the edge in the second half. The reasons both of those alignments were successful were not because of the number of DL on the field. It's how the back 7/8 were utilized.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don't believe anyone said that. What has been said is that 3DL, specifically a tite front, vs 4DL isn't the issue. Yeah, some 4 DL looks were thrown in. Texas still played the majority of the game with 3 DL, and often walked Ossai up to the edge in the second half. The reasons both of those alignments were successful were not because of the number of DL on the field. It's how the back 7/8 were utilized.

Ish.  We played more men in the box starting half way through the second quarter.  We actually played a traditional 3-4 (which is what this team is at heart) and not surprisingly, virtually all aspects of the defense improved, particularly when paired with a press cover back. 

Orlando actually played the team and the odds instead of throwing “looks”

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

People were not telling you that and we weren’t running much 4 DL at all.

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Ish.  We played more men in the box starting half way through the second quarter.  We actually played a traditional 3-4 (which is what this team is at heart) and not surprisingly, virtually all aspects of the defense improved, particularly when paired with a press cover back. 

Orlando actually played the team and the odds instead of throwing “looks”

This isn’t really correct. 3 tite can utilize 4 LBs, but that doesn’t make it a traditional 3-4. We played 3 tite but we had more men at the line because of how many heavy sets KSU ran. We weren’t asking our DL to 2 gap, which would’ve been a 3-4. We were still running a 3 tite with our DL generally responsible for one gap. 

Edited by Burt Macklin