To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

25 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Muschamp wouldn’t go full retard against the spread.

Haha.

Tennessee (3-5, 2/3 SEC) outscored South Carolina 24-0 in the second half to end a three-game skid in this annual series.

The Volunteers threw for a season-high 351 yards as Guarantano and redshirt freshman J.T. Shrout shared the quarterback duties with Maurer unavailable.

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

And Tennessee is garbage while we held ranked KSt to 60 yards on the second half once everyone was healthy and not as rusty. Your point?

Hi Todd.

I must have missed the part where everyone wasn't healthy in the first half.  I have to admit that performing healings is a heck of a halftime adjustment.

And Tennessee is garbage while we held ranked KSt to 60 yards on the second half once everyone was healthy and not as rusty. Your point?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

The second half defense had nothing to do with rust. It had everything to do with adjustments that should have been made in September and an inherently limited KSU offense. Fool's gold.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I would like to see that at the end of the year for only B12 games. Then we get a better comparison. Still when the games were played against the opponent and the opponent key injuries will not come into play but it will be a better comparison of where everyone sits.

that is fair, will update with b12 only results when KSU fan updates his info!

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Are montrell estrell and chris adimore really 4 and 5 star guys?

it is far from fair to include those two together, one guy has been in the program 3 years 

both are 4* players

Adimora was a top 200 recruit and #24 in California on the composite and is a true freshman

Estell was the #234 overall recruit, #11 Athlete and #37 in Texas

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

So the Baylor three man front has worked very well, according to espn. Let’s see how it does today against OU. If it works, then you really have to scratch your head about Orlando.

No you don’t. Using A 3 man front has never been the problem. Most of the best defenses in CFB use 3 man fronts. Coaching is exponentially more important than scheme.  

And for the record, 3 man front just means 3 down lineman. It doesn’t indicate how many people you have rushing the passer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I think he was referring to the backups not being up to speed.

Yep. But I think you could paraphrase that statement by saying:

”They have shown they can’t execute this play in practice but I am going to ask them to do it during crunch time in the game.”

No you don’t. Using A 3 man front has never been the problem. Most of the best defenses in CFB use 3 man fronts. Coaching is exponentially more important than scheme.  

And for the record, 3 man front just means 3 down lineman. It doesn’t indicate how many people you have rushing the passer.

Just to clarify, the story was about a 3 man RUSH. They showed several plays where their 3 man rush was getting to the QB. I suppose that you could also assume that either our three down lineman are much worse than Baylor’s, which I don’t believe, or that Giles is not coaching them well enough to get to the QB.

JFC why do Texas fans want to die on the "three man line is the problem" hill?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

See post above. The story was about three man RUSH. I’ve been consistent in saying that a 3 man line is fine as long as you bring a BBacker rushing the QB effectively, ensuring outside contain and inside pressure but we haven’t been doing that.

I think the biggest issue on defense is just the lack of discipline. The missed tackles and pointless penalties (see: Jalen Green vs. KSU) are a huge indictment on the coaching. We all know about the tackling stats, but I'd bet we're also among the worst in "no-impact on the play" penalties (late hit, roughing, etc.) that extend drives when we're about to get off the field.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to make scheme adjustments, but you also have to factor in the youth and injuries when evaluating. That stuff makes a difference and the D wasn't this bad last year. We were definitely drinking the Kool-aid thinking these talented youngsters would step in and immediately be as good as last year's Seniors.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So the Baylor three man front has worked very well, according to espn. Let’s see how it does today against OU. If it works, then you really have to scratch your head about Orlando.

Message board obsession with the number of down lineman and it’s impact on stopping the run is pretty far out of whack and oversimplified, IMO.

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I think the biggest issue on defense is just the lack of discipline. The missed tackles and pointless penalties (see: Jalen Green vs. KSU) are a huge indictment on the coaching. We all know about the tackling stats, but I'd bet we're also among the worst in "no-impact on the play" penalties (late hit, roughing, etc.) that extend drives when we're about to get off the field.

I'm not saying he doesn't need to make scheme adjustments, but you also have to factor in the youth and injuries when evaluating. That stuff makes a difference and the D wasn't this bad last year. We were definitely drinking the Kool-aid thinking these talented youngsters would step in and immediately be as good as last year's Seniors.

Scheme can have a really significant impact on tackling effectiveness.  What I’ve seen is that we had a ton of injuries and y Ugh on D.  Orlando stubbornly stuck with his “full system” of looks, disguises, etc.  The youth on the field was not ready and couldn’t handle all of the stuff given to them.  As a result, they have often been out of position, with no understanding of where the others would be and where the leverage is, etc.  They have been late and out of position a LOT.

Out of position/lateness = low % arm tackling.  We have seen SOME improvement, due to more experience on the field and some simplification of formations and whatnot.

Also, has anyone broken down the KSU tape to figure out how we kept having a single DB on half to the field, being blocked by a WR, while another WR caught the screen on that side?  It happened ALOT.  Was it a motion thing or what?

Message board obsession with the number of down lineman and it’s impact on stopping the run is pretty far out of whack and oversimplified, IMO.

If a three man rush never gets to the QB, forcing our back 8 to cover too long, you won’t win many games. The impact is massive.

We seem to be better dropping 8 than bringing a rush anyhow.

Someone who has time to go back thru the games will most likely see that we don’t fair well with a three man rush statistically. So you either have to rush four or figure out why our 3 can’t get to the QB but supposedly Baylor’s can (not sure ESPN is right about that).

56 minutes ago, JBJ said:

We seem to be better dropping 8 than bringing a rush anyhow.

If anything, it's the other way around. When we don't blitz we look completely lost in coverage.

LB blitzes are essentially our base defense now (the ones that don't involve bringing a DB from Omaha on the rush).

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

He didn’t mention anyone down. He said rushing three and dropping 8.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Which is what I’ve constantly been saying. So why do you keep saying that? We all know your obvious point and agree with it yet you keep saying it. Why?

OP talked about three down lineman And how the impact of 3 down vs. 4 down isn’t a big deal. You responded by talking about how many people we rush, which is a completely different issue.