To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

And we’re right back to the opening defense against KSU. Fucking pathetic. There’s no point in blitzing if your corners are giving a 10 yard cushion.

Except for we still left the guy 2 yards ahead of everyone else on the skinny post.  How in the fuck does a team play such soft coverage AND still let guys behind them?? 

Just now, CurlyDumps said:

The scheme is sound though, right?

You dumbass fuckers can’t understand the concept of the 3 tite defense being sound, but Orlando’s implementation of it being horrible, can you? 

the 3 tite doesn’t dictate 10 yard cushions on blitzes, or leaving the edge wide open in the run game. That’s all Orlando.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You dumbass fuckers can’t understand the concept of the 3 tite defense being sound, but Orlando’s implementation of it being horrible, can you? 

the 3 tite doesn’t dictate 10 yard cushions on blitzes, or leaving the edge wide open in the run game. That’s all Orlando.

So if I look up the 3 tite scheme on the Internet, and get hired to coordinate a P5 defense, will my scheme be sound? 

if the implementation sucks, the scheme fucking sucks.  

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

So if I look up the 3 tite scheme on the Internet, and get hired to coordinate a P5 defense, will my scheme be sound? 

if the implementation sucks, the scheme fucking sucks.  

that makes no sense. People have tried to argue the 3 tite will always fail no matter what, which is just completely false. 

Orlando’s defense will fail for a myriad of reasons, including his implementation of the scheme. It doesn’t mean a better coach running the 3 tite is bound to fail. 

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

that makes no sense. People have tried to argue the 3 tite will always fail no matter what, which is just completely false. 

Orlando’s defense will fail for a myriad of reasons, including his implementation of the scheme. It doesn’t mean a better coach running the 3 tite is bound to fail. 

What makes no sense to me is saying Todd Orlando’s implementation of his scheme is not Todd Orlando’s scheme.

just seems to me that scheme is more than the very basic concepts.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

What makes no sense to me is saying Todd Orlando’s implementation of his scheme is not Todd Orlando’s scheme.

just seems to me that scheme is more than the very basic concepts.

Its not his scheme. A scheme is the type/style of defense you run. It’s his defense, and his defense fucking sucks, but the scheme is the style/concept of defense you run.

The 3 tite is sound. Orlando’s defense is not. These concepts are not mutually exclusive. 

Watched the ISU game again.  Our blitzes never got home.  Their QB had the correct protection for them every time and and just found the guy in the middle of the zone or running 1 on 1 with whatever slow player didn’t blitz.  It’s just maddening to watch play after play where secondary guys telegraph blitzes from 15 yards out then run into a brick wall while receivers eat up open grass.  It’s happened against every team all the way back to game 1.  The only guy who didn’t really figure it out was Sanders but it was his 4th game and the coaches handcuffed him.  Even the WVU guy who is now benched figured it out.  

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Per Kurt Bowls

Texas still ranks an egregious 111th nationally in total defense and an appalling 126th in pass defense. Only seven Power Five defenses are worse overall and just three against the pass.

So we're better than seven P5 defenses. That’s good, right?

14 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Watched the ISU game again.  Our blitzes never got home.  Their QB had the correct protection for them every time and and just found the guy in the middle of the zone or running 1 on 1 with whatever slow player didn’t blitz. 

We had an 83% success rate in passing situations.  That's phenomenally good.

I don't remember any sacks, but we forced a lot of balls out of bounds, into tight coverage, or just errant throws.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

83% success rate = 354 yards.

that is because Texas got roasted on standard downs.

Success Rate is based on gaining 50% of required yardage on 1st down, 70% on 2nd down, 100% on 3rd/4th down.

ISU had an overall success rate of 47% passing (national avg is 41%) but only  17% on passing downs (NA= 31%). for the game they were at 44% (NA = 42%)

Passing Downs are:

• Second-and-8 or more;
  • Third-and-5 or more;
  • Fourth-and-5 or more.

Texas did extremely well on passing downs vs Iowa State (9 of 19 for 80 yards, 4.21 yards per attempt), they just gave up a ton of yards on everything else (21/29 for 274 yards, 8.77 yards per attempt

Overall Texas held ISU to below the national avg on explosiveness (using IsoPPP) on passing and passing downs and just over it on standard downs. 

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Matt Rhule on Todd Orlando: "I think Todd Orlando is one of the best defensive coordinators in college football, and I've believed that for a long time." As a head coach, Matt Rhule faced Todd Orlando coached defenses 3 times. Rhule's teams averaged 12.3 points per game.
8:26 PM · Nov 20, 2019·T

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I honestly can't see how anyone watches our last 4 games or so and comes away with thinking the defense is at fault. 

This offense sucks and there's no excuse. 

It's easier to blame the defense since we supposedly have all these 5 star DB's and highly ranked safeties, etc, and we're almost last in tackling, missed tackles, and so on. 

But you're correct, our offense is Katrina shitty. It's quite the spectacle. 

8 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I honestly can't see how anyone watches our last 4 games or so and comes away with thinking the defense is at fault. 

This offense sucks and there's no excuse. 

Feels like the Mack Brown + Manny Diaz years in the early 2010s.

Either the offense or the defense can be good. But not both at the same time, that's not allowed... 🙄

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

We should bring in Phil Parker from Iowa to right this ship next season. He has one of, if not the most, disciplined and consistent groups each year and is working with mostly 3-star talent.

3-star talent is part of the success... they know they play disciplined or they don't play.  We on the other hand will put in 4 and 5 star players who are hurt and still not disciplined and they still play over other talent.

2 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

We should bring in Phil Parker from Iowa to right this ship next season. He has one of, if not the most, disciplined and consistent groups each year and is working with mostly 3-star talent.

the issue there is that he has been at Iowa since 99 and the DC since 2012. doubt he is leaving...