To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

4 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

We should bring in Phil Parker from Iowa to right this ship next season. He has one of, if not the most, disciplined and consistent groups each year and is working with mostly 3-star talent.

I would be leery of hiring defensive coordinators from the Big Ten. Playing defense in the Big 12 is a completely different animal, Orlando would look great against Big Ten offenses.

Morgan Scalley would be a great hire. He's done terrific work at Utah and is familiar with defending spread attacks. Alternately, we could try and poach a Big 12 guy like Heacock (Iowa State) or Phil Snow (Baylor).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I would be leery of hiring defensive coordinators from the Big Ten. Playing defense in the Big 12 is a completely different animal, Orlando would look great against Big Ten offenses.

I don't disagree with the first sentence, but do disagree with the second.  Missed tackles would against Big Ten teams would be killer.  Missing a tackle and turning a two yard run into 4 or 5 extends drives.  Big Ten teams would score less points on him than Big 12 teams, but they would use more clock and our offense would score even less.

1 hour ago, CBHorn said:

I don't disagree with the first sentence, but do disagree with the second.  Missed tackles would against Big Ten teams would be killer.  Missing a tackle and turning a two yard run into 4 or 5 extends drives.  Big Ten teams would score less points on him than Big 12 teams, but they would use more clock and our offense would score even less.

We miss tackles mostly because our defenders are hesitant and out of position. Big 12 offenses create this hesitation by keying in on defenders to read and forcing them to pick their poison in the running/passing game. Offenses like Michigan and Iowa aren't nearly as tough on defenders, guys like Mitchell and Adeoye would look much better flying to the ballcarrier because it's much more obvious what's going on on each play.

Compare how our defense did last year against an uber-talented but predictable pro-style offense like USC's, vs. offenses like blOU / Okie Lite / WVU.

Edited by satyanash

On 11/18/2019 at 9:00 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Watched the ISU game again.  Our blitzes never got home.  Their QB had the correct protection for them every time and and just found the guy in the middle of the zone or running 1 on 1 with whatever slow player didn’t blitz.  It’s just maddening to watch play after play where secondary guys telegraph blitzes from 15 yards out then run into a brick wall while receivers eat up open grass.  It’s happened against every team all the way back to game 1.  The only guy who didn’t really figure it out was Sanders but it was his 4th game and the coaches handcuffed him.  Even the WVU guy who is now benched figured it out.  

Green is what we saw in that famous OU vs Houston game. OU missed wide open folks to take the lead a couple of times. When I brought up the fact that for most part Houston's defense sucked and won due to missed open reveivers I was rediculed and told Orlando was the man. Wonder how those folks now feel about the man. I wanted Aranda but Orlando has shown a few times that with proper guidence he may be OK. I just don't think that will ever happen under Herman.

Baylor's 1st TD drive.  Lest anyone think that our DC has things figured out, more alignment fuckery.  This guy has no idea how to defend the edge.  We do this every game.  

We have no defender to take on the OT and TE.  Edge defender is a CB at depth.  Free 8 yards.  (Play action to WR up top would have been TD BTW)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MOAR.  Same drive - TD run.  Baylor pulls the back side OT and G.  We have one guy - a CB - holding the edge.  Guess what happens.  OU did the same thing to us repeatedly.  

BTW, this is a primary reason we have so many missed tackles.  #32 and #5 would likely be credited with missed tackles on this play.  But look at the impossible situation Orlando has put them in.  Because our guys are so out of position and are having to chase plays down from behind or the side, they can't make the tackle.  No shit.  

43 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Baylor's 1st TD drive.  Lest anyone think that our DC has things figured out, more alignment fuckery.  This guy has no idea how to defend the edge.  We do this every game.  

We have no defender to take on the OT and TE.  Edge defender is a CB at depth.  Free 8 yards.  (Play action to WR up top would have been TD BTW)

Yep. We had already given up a 7 yard run before the ball was even snapped. 

Our whole DL is is shifted towards the weak side, see the NT shaded to the weak side of the center with no overhang defender on the strong side (I.e. Ossai you know, actually playing B-Backer), which also means our two true ILBs are also shaded to the weak side. And to make things even worse, he didn’t even slant the DL towards the strong side. Shifting the DL weak side and then slanting strong side still wouldn’t be a sound strategy, but someone watching could at least explain his thought process.  Just unreal. 

If possible, I think he’s actually been getting worse. His alignment and utilization of scheme has been worse in the KSU, ISU, BU stretch than it was the first half of the season. We’ve just had better results because of a combination of starters getting healthy, facing more limited offenses offenses, and the tempo of the last three games being much slower so the score was kept down. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Asking a CB to set the edge against a pulling OT is the definition of stupid. Repeating it game after game after every team has exposed the stupidity of it is the definition of insanity. Todd Orlando is beyond incompetent. 

Just having an edge defender was an improvement from the first play. 

Oh and we put 6 men in the box against 12 personnel, so they had 7 blockers on 6 plus the option of the zone read, so basically 8 blockers versus 6 defenders, and we were running the Tampa 2 bullshit against a heavy box on 1st down.

I didn’t like Moving BJ Foster to Nickel in the offseason, but I could at least understand why (I thought) he did it. If a team lined up in 12 personnel, TO could shift to a 3-4 look with Ossai and Foster as the OLBs to set the edge. Instead, Orlando’s plan was to stay in Nickel, align the DL to the weak side and have Ossai in off coverage so we don’t have an edge defender on either side against heavy sets.

Orlando has truly lost his mind and yet somehow the defense has possibly been the best phase of the game for us the last three weeks. Truly unbelievable. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Orlando has truly lost his mind and yet somehow the defense has possibly been the best phase of the game for us the last three weeks. Truly unbelievable. 

Yes, but I agree with your view this is fool's gold.  We've played pedestrian offenses in ball control games.  If we played a true, high octane Big 12 offense right now, like OU, they would put up 70 on this crew.  Orlando is shit.  

Edited by bschoolprof

Eric Nahlin: What the defensive personnel is telling us

The convenient thing about not being a coach is you don't hold any dogmatic philosophical beliefs when it comes to scheme. Pay attention to enough football and you realize any contemporary scheme will work provided the finer points are coached well and you have good enough baseline personnel to deploy. This is often lost on Texas fans who coveted a three-man front in the final days of Mack Brown and who want a four-man front now. Check the landscape, both work just fine for slowing modern offenses down. Coaching matters; putting personnel in position to succeed matters.

If given the choice, and if a coach isn't too dogmatic, they should match personnel to scheme as best they can. If you look at the individual talent Texas has on hand to work with and where and how the unit struggled this year, it becomes clear to me that this should be an even front defense, on standard downs at least. There's a lot of value in being multiple, especially if you're like Texas and have a keystone piece like Joseph Ossai to make it effective, but I posit it's in UT's best interest to base out of a four-man front. The reasons extend well beyond just the defensive line and to the defense as a whole. But let's start by taking a look at the big boys up front.

5-tech: Marqez Bimage/Jacoby Jones
1-tech: Keondre Coburn/T'Vondre Sweat
3-tech: Ta'Quon Graham/Moro Ojomo
B-backer: Joseph Ossai/Byron Vaughns

Because functional depth on the defensive line is so good you can mix and match your personnel a number of ways. I have Graham inside because Bimage and Jones are more explosive off the edge while Graham would instantly become more explosive with one more spin down to defensive tackle. Unless in a short yardage package, Bimage and Jones are not B-backers and they're also not ideally suited for 4i. 5-tech is their best position and you want guys in their best position across the board. You'd work Vernon Broughton in here as well.

Coburn's duty cycle is what you'd expect from somebody his size who plays as hard as he does. He and Sweat would make a formidable one-two force at 1-tech. Let's not pretend Sweat is a defensive end, k?

Graham and Ojomo give you an active and athletic pair of 3-techs. We've seen Coburn play well this year and we've seen Ojomo play well this year. Feel free to line them up next to each other and let the mutually beneficial relationships flourish.

Ossai is a certified BMF but it's hard to tell sometimes with him playing so obviously out of position. He's being punished for his versatility rather than rewarded for it. His ability to play in space should be 20% of his snaps, used to create uncertainty in a quarterback or to play off the ball in a dime look. Vaughns is very similar to Ossai in his fit. These guys provide strength at the point of attack because of the leverage they play with, and their quickness is a tough match-up in pass pro. Ossai should be playing his NFL position. Vaughns should rotate a fair amount. This is also Prince Dorbah's natural position.

One of the defense's greatest failings this season, and preceding seasons, is losing contain. In this look it's simple: if you have contain keep your outside shoulder free and don't bite inside. While simplifying contain duties, you make playing nickel significantly more doable for mortals. You no longer need your super nickel changing his jersey number from the 90s to 50s to teens. He can go back to being a defensive back. You don't need Ossai playing out of position in a semi-nickel role. The team could even get away with playing a smallish firecracker in nickel and not worry about him being engulfed by a pulling lineman. Texas has three NFL caliber corners -- get them on the field together.

Putting D'Shawn Jamison at nickel allows you to play all your best cover pieces on the field at once: Jamison at nickel, Jalen Green and Anthony Cook at corner, BJ Foster at boundary safety (his NFL position), and Caden Sterns in the field. You won't be able to disguise as much, but I'm taking your safety not needing to take an Uber on his way to the quarterback as a big positive. Right now you're probably wondering where DeMarvion Overshown fits. They should try him at Rover if he's willing. If not then he remains at Joker. It's the Big 12 and you're still going to need a good amount of dime. Maybe they can put him at Joker and move an inch toward Rover every day. Do it slow enough and he might not notice.

The linebackers need to be better developed but that needs to happen regardless of what front Texas uses. Encouragingly, there are athletic pieces to work with in Juwan Mitchell, David Gbenda, Marcus Tillman and hopefully Overshown. Ayodele Adeoye may prove salvageable at linebacker but the Baylor game was an absolutely brutal indictment of the coaching he's received in his two years in the program. That's not good for a player whose range is already a bit limited. In a four-man front it's no longer imperative that your linebackers are the playmakers.

Though it's on the back-burner, recruiting would be made much easier. The 2021 class is loaded with defensive linemen and a four-man front would make the pitch much easier. The state produces plenty of B-backer types -- not quite defensive ends, not quite off-the-ball linebackers, but a little of both. Not only does Texas have Dorbah on the way, but also Ja'Tavion Sanders in the 2021 class. While quality B-backers are abundant, super-nickels are not. Nickel being more of a cover position makes it a much easier position to fill.

Developmentally speaking, you would be better able to fast-track players to the trenches. Broughton would provide help at 5-tech earlier than at 4i. Guys who can rely on quickness to attack one gap don't have to be as developed as guys who require strength to man two gaps. You would get more out of your players earlier, rather than developing them right on time for the NFL.

Cliff's:

- Better use of personnel: Ossai at B-backer rushing the passer, Bimage and Jones at 5-tech, Graham at 3-tech, tackles are better than ends and four-man allows for playing two DTs and one true end
- Setting the edge and outside contain are built in features
- D-line can attack while linebackers and defensive backs defend; no need to blitz as much; respect the Big 12
- Still have flexibility to change fronts because of Ossai's versatility; this should be a change-up, not the identity
- Scheme no longer requires a super-nickel, can instead use an athletic cover player. Allows for getting best DB personnel on the field
- Simplifies scheme for linebackers and defensive backs; allows athletes to play fast rather than paralysis by analysis; helps "improve" team IQ; you're now using your talent advantage
- Makes recruiting high profile defensive linemen much easier; takes advantage of ultra-talented B-backer types the state produces regularly
- Shortens physical developmental curve for defensive linemen and nickel

I'm sure I left out some advantages. Assuming competent coaching, the big disadvantage is it doesn't allow you to disguise pressures as much, but you do get some of that back because of Ossai's versatility. You'd still have third and long dime packages anyway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

After reading Brian Davis’s column today, it makes me more convinced his “elite” pompous ass needs to be fired.

I have to give Scipio credit for being first to point out last year some negative aspects of TO that not only became trends but obviously are flaws he can't fix. 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: What the defensive personnel is telling us

You could also swap the nickel for a 3 safety look as well for a heavier 4-2-5. Though ideally with the lack of play makers at LB, a 4-1-6 is probably the best defensive personnel Texas has right now on campus.

Nahlin nails it. The players being allowed to play to their highest potential is more important than forcing them to fit in hybrid positions just so the defense can be “exotic”. Orlando still hasn’t figured that out and I’m not sure why. Look at that god awful “lightning” package he used to run, or the countless defensive calls that put players that should never be in coverage, suddenly lost in space.