To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Gave up too many 3rd down conversions early but shut them down in the second half.

Yeah, that was frustrating.  Get em in 3rd and long and give up the first down.  Great adjustments tonight.  The pressure the d line was bringing made all the difference.

last year the defense got better as the year went on, this year looks even more dramatic so far.  He lost his 5 best players to the draft with 4 leaving early (I'm counting Dickson because he put our D in good positions), and he's got this defense looking like he did last year.  That's what good coaching looks like, improvement as the season progresses.

In HS Lake Travis has won titles 6 of the past 11 years, and it's the coaching.  Usually they drop a game early and things look disorganized with a whole new group of kids, but as the seasons progress they grow up on the field.  By the end of the season they are playing their best ball, every year, even with the constant turnover.  

After 1 year and 4 games I think it's pretty clear Orlando is the best coach we have on staff.  Our defense has improved as our competition has improved, and this considering a bunch of new faces who will contribute for a couple of years before they move on.   Pay this man what it takes to keep him here as long as possible   I can't say he's the best DC in college, but I don't think there are many who are better   

Edited by Treefidy

24 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I really thought our DEs would be the strength of this defense. Turns out, it is our young DBs. Are Omenihu and Hager even on the field? 

Yeah, talent wise we are just not there yet. The DBs will get drafted but I'm not sure D Davis will stick because he is a step slow. At linebacker we have Johnson who will be a pro but may be drafted a little later than his talent because he is small. At DL, we have solid players but no one elite. Orlando has the defense playing well after a crappy start against Maryland and Tulsa.

7 hours ago, Treefidy said:

last year the defense got better as the year went on, this year looks even more dramatic so far.  He lost his 5 best players to the draft with 4 leaving early (I'm counting Dickson because he put our D in good positions), and he's got this defense looking like he did last year.  That's what good coaching looks like, improvement as the season progresses.

In HS Lake Travis has won titles 6 of the past 11 years, and it's the coaching.  Usually they drop a game early and things look disorganized with a whole new group of kids, but as the seasons progress they grow up on the field.  By the end of the season they are playing their best ball, every year, even with the constant turnover.  

After 1 year and 4 games I think it's pretty clear Orlando is the best coach we have on staff.  Our defense has improved as our competition has improved, and this considering a bunch of new faces who will contribute for a couple of years before they move on.   Pay this man what it takes to keep him here as long as possible   I can't say he's the best DC in college, but I don't think there are many who are better   

I can say it, Todd Orlando is the best DC in college football

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Omenihu is playing well. His contributions aren't showing up in the stat sheet but he is versatile and is holding up in the run game.

Hager is MIA, and I would like to see more of Bimage in his place. Another good find by Herman and the staff.

A lot of the lack of stat sheet production is a result of the tite front Orlando runs with the DEs playing 4i.   It's not a glorious defense for DEs because it's their job to try and draw the double team while plugging the B run gap.  Nose takes 1 of the A gaps and the MB or WB has the other a gap, leaving the other backer to spy.  

the idea is to stop the run with fewer numbers so you have favorable mismatches elsewhere by forcing double teams at the LOS,  since read offenses are mostly all runs that can turn into passes depending on what the QB reads. 

When you played I'm sure the DEs had traditional roles, lining up outside the tackles and their job was controlling the edge, turn the play inside the the DTs and LBs.  In Orlandos scheme the DEs act more like DTs though undersized, trying to disrupt say pulling a guard because a quick DE 4i will slide right through and blow up the play, or force the guard to stay and help

• Like 8

Still not happy with pass rush, but in last two games both LBs and DBs are playing MUCH better than during Maryland/Tulsa games.

Thank God for a couple WR drops by TCU early in the game because horny toads did start the game fast on offense. The Texas Defense creating the four turnovers were a HUGE factor in the Longhorns Victory.

Still lots of upside for the 2018 HORNS Defense to keep improving.

Hook 'Em 🤘

Patterson:  "You gotta give Texas' defense credit.  We tried to go sideways and it didn't work out against them."

Going into this game, lots of people on here were scared of TCU's speed.  I think it's slowly starting to dawn on people that with Gary Johnson, Brandon Jones, and Caden Sterns pursuing horizontally, we have the athletes to match this conference.  And with Boyd, Locke and Davis playing well outside, we're able to shut down the run game without moving guys out of the box.

TCU and USC have above average running games, and they could do absolutely nothing against us on the ground.  This defense is the reason I'm optimistic about making a run at this conference.

• Like 1

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-are-the-texas-longhorns-back-to-national-prominence

1804-Texas-passer-rating-768x437.png

Perhaps the most compelling storyline to come out of Austin through four weeks is the play of the secondary, most notably that of true freshman Caden Sterns. Currently possessing our highest coverage grade among true freshman defensive backs, Sterns has three interceptions and two additional pass breakups despite just seven targets while he’s logged 167 snaps in coverage.

Their secondary as a whole has been impressive, fielding just a 74.0 passer rating on throws from their opponents, the lowest they’ve seen in five years as a unit.

Kris Boyd leads the way with seven pass breakups while CB Davante Davis also has recorded four himself. P.J. Locke III has been targeted 24 times yet has not allowed a touchdown in coverage as he’s also forced a fumble as well.

The defense has generated 51 total pressures through four games with Charles Omenihu leading the way at nine total pressures including a sack, two QB hits and six hurries while Breckyn Hager has chipped in with eight pressures himself.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 9:40 AM, Bill Lumbergh said:

He out schemed Cumbie more than Patterson out schemed Herman/Beck. 

Let that sink in, bc it's the truth. 

It really is this. I didn't realize just how bad things were offensively until I watched it again today. It was like two 3 and outs to start the second half and a missed field goal while the defense was forcing turnovers left and right. Cumbie is taking exlax because he's still constipated from having his offense's shit pushed in and stopped. 

I was criticized yesterday for being overly critical of both Hager and Omenihu. Everyone seems to agree about Hager but some stick up for Omenihu for some reason. After rewatching, sorry, but I still don't see it. Yeah he's double teamed a lot but he's got ZERO disruptiveness even when single covered. Nelson gets doubled too yet seems to demand more attention from OLs and still makes plays. I guess my expectations were too high for him. Watching the defense slant and seeing him get washed out of the play instead of using his length to his advantage is criminal. I do see he gets held a LOT but guess what? Refs ain't calling it. He's got to use that massive wingspan and be more violent with his hands. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It really is this. I didn't realize just how bad things were offensively until I watched it again today. It was like two 3 and outs to start the second half and a missed field goal while the defense was forcing turnovers left and right. Cumbie is taking exlax because he's still constipated from having his offense's shit pushed in and stopped. 

I was criticized yesterday for being overly critical of both Hager and Omenihu. Everyone seems to agree about Hager but some stick up for Omenihu for some reason. After rewatching, sorry, but I still don't see it. Yeah he's double teamed a lot but he's got ZERO disruptiveness even when single covered. Nelson gets doubled too yet seems to demand more attention from OLs and still makes plays. I guess my expectations were too high for him. Watching the defense slant and seeing him get washed out of the play instead of using his length to his advantage is criminal. I do see he gets held a LOT but guess what? Refs ain't calling it. He's got to use that massive wingspan and be more violent with his hands. 

There are some real badass ends out there like Buggs at Bama, he plays in the same scheme and had 7 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks, and 2 hurries, while their other DE had non-stats against aggy. 

We don't have anyone even close to that, but our DEs have been doing their jobs as the scheme dictates, even if they aren't putting up stats.  In the past few games we have completely shut down the inside run with 3 or 4 guys to their 5 or 6 at the LOS.  Know where this really helps us?  Passing game where we have superior numbers and can make plays on the ball.  

Against most of the spread/RPO offenses we play Orlando has a great scheme.  How will we adjust to an offense like say Stanford who might run 3 TEs?   And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying our ends are playing great, just that they are doing their jobs. 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:34 PM, Treefidy said:

There are some real badass ends out there like Buggs at Bama, he plays in the same scheme and had 7 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks, and 2 hurries, while their other DE had non-stats against aggy. 

Close to the same scheme.  Buggs plays an open 5, which is why his stats show up.  He's free to set the edge and is in an advantageous position for a pass rush.

Mike Daniels (GB) is arguably the best 4i in the NFL.  He averages 0.3 sacks, 2.25 tackles.  Clay Matthews is who gets the benefit.

Edited by JBJ