To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

15 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I have never been more confident in teams picking up 3rd and long every fucking time as I am in our opponents doing it to us this year. 

Right after Maryland I was more concerned with the defense than the offense...I was sure that Herman would put his stamp on the offense and, with a marginally improved OL, that the glaring errors on that side of the ball could be fixed.

I am not sure that this defense can be fixed. 

We don't have a pass rush, and when we do get there, we can't tackle anyone in their back field..we can't stop marginal quarterbacks from roasting us and there is no help coming for it this year with these players. 

HORNS have to recruit more studs on DL and OL if we are serious about  competing for more Championships.

• Like 3

To me Orlando's defense this year is resembles last years offense. There are lots of good pieces out there but when you are lacking some key pieces and depth teams (especially in Big12) are going to find ways to exploit them.

Poona Ford is greatly missed up front, we have no depth and strength at DE to help right now and that exposes the secondary greatly and causes our LBs to have to cover too much responsibility.

A couple pieces fall in place in we'll be fine.  Right now though he's got to play what he's got and try to find a way to make it work together.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

HORNS have to recruit more studs on DL and OL if we are serious about  competing for more Championships.

Even great players need coaching. The DC gets paid very well to put his players in a position to be the most effective.

Not sure the scheme last night was up to the salary.

I still believe Orlando is a great DC and will have the defense in line by next year (we're a flawed unit in critical spots this year and it's too late to completely fix that). 

That said, my concern is that Orlando has proven he can have massive success with Ed Oliver and Poona Ford anchoring his lines.  This year, he doesn't have anywhere near that kind of talent, and it's showing.  I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now, but next year is his Manny Diaz "prove it" season, where he either shows year one or year two to be a fluke.  I'm obviously hoping the answer is two. 

11 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

Having a 5 man box while ok st had a TE in line all night was infuriating. If a downlineman doesn’t slip a blocker we were fucked. Brandon Jones might have just played one of the worst football games  I’ve ever seen from a Longhorn secondary player. 

I agree with all of this except you obviously blocked all memory of Haines.

I'll agree here.  I hate the 3 DL scheme.  I don't think we should abandon it completely but I'd like for us to be more multiple.  For next year, I hope we see more of 4 DL.  I think Graham can add even more weight.  If we can get to 285-290, I think he could wreck shop inside next to Wilbon.

Roach- Graham- Wilbon- Bimage 
This would be a great pass rushing line up on passing downs next year imo.

• Like 1

Last year, Okie Lite had Mason Rudolph and James Washington and an infinitely more potent offense than what they have this year. And Orlando held them to 13.
...so what the fuck happened?
Last year OSU left two or three scores on the field due to their own mistakes. This year they generally executed pretty well. Last year Texas had Poona Ford, Malik Jefferson, Deshon Elliot, Holton Hill, and Michael Dickson. They gone. That's the difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I'll agree here.  I hate the 3 DL scheme.  I don't think we should abandon it completely but I'd like for us to be more multiple.  For next year, I hope we see more of 4 DL.  I think Graham can add even more weight.  If we can get to 285-290, I think he could wreck shop inside next to Wilbon.

Roach- Graham- Wilbon- Bimage 
This would be a great pass rushing line up on passing downs next year imo.

I like the 3 down lineman. But this game called for more Mcullough not more Foster. 

12 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

He’s responsible for getting this 4 star athletes in position to succeed vs lesser athletes.  Off a bye week especially.  Horrendous coaching job vs a very average team. 

I don't know what is more hilarious, that you think the Texas defense is full of 4 star athletes or you think OSU has lesser athletes on offense. Either way you are wrong on both accounts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't know what is more hilarious, that you think the Texas defense is full of 4 star athletes or you think OSU has lesser athletes on offense. Either way you are wrong on both accounts.

I’m not sure what he meant so far as 4 star guys. But there is plenty of talent to match up with any team on the current schedule. IF they play as a unit. Except of course his persistent desire on playing Hagar on more plays then he should. I’ll never believe that is the best option.

Other then that Orlando’s problem is no different then any other DC who coaches in this league. For every K-State game he manages, he gives us last nights performance as well. Requiring the offense to bail them out.

It is more about how fucking inconsistent the defense can be at times. And that sits on Todd’s very well paid shoulders.

2 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

I’m not sure what he meant so far as 4 star guys. But there is plenty of talent to match up with any team on the current schedule. IF they play as a unit. Except of course his persistent desire on playing Hagar on more plays then he should. I’ll never believe that is the best option.

Other then that Orlando’s problem is no different then any other DC who coaches in this league. For every K-State game he manages, he gives us last nights performance as well. Requiring the offense to bail them out.

It is more about how fucking inconsistent the defense can be at times. And that sits on Todd’s very well paid shoulders.

Of course Texas has talent on defense, they just aren't far and away better than the talent on the other side of the ball save for Kansas.

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

Either he sucks or this defense is full soft.  Caden Sterns with yet another weak assed attempt at defense.

Brandon Jones covers up a lot of deficiencies so when he's out or has a bad game (last week) things go bad.  

The problem seems to be a combination of talent gaps and, in my opinion, scheme.

A three man front works great if you have three stud DL. They can take on double teams and win some of those to either pressure the QB or take up more OL to block. This gives Orlando the ability to bring that fourth rusher from anywhere.

It’s not working. Why not? The down linemen aren’t good enough or big enough. As a result, when he brings that fourth rusher, there is always an offensive lineman ready to take them on, and the OL is going to win most of those battles against the fourth rusher and against the smaller DL who they are double teaming a lot. Sometimes the smaller player can get around them, but they often run past the QB and can’t make the play before it’s out of his hands. Hager. Johnson. Etc.

In my opinion, without three stud DL, I’d run a four man front, which will result in far fewer double teams. Our DL are reasonably athletic. They can beat their man occasionally. That will put pressure on the QB. And once a blitz comes, it will be easier for that DB or linebacker to get to the QB. I’d run a 4-2-5. I know this isn’t what’s in vogue right now, but no one in the Big 12 is stopping anyone with those three man fronts.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Like folks have said..... more roster building and experience to go on this Team.  Definitely not a playoff team. 

Would be a Great accomplishment to somehow earn our way to the B12 Championship Game........

I would consider that overachieving. Honestly, we've both overachieved and underachieved this year.