To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

36 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Watch in the game film how far back our LB’s are from the line of scrimmage on most plays. The opposing team can simply run straight forward and guarantee 4 yards or more just because it takes that long for someone to get to the ball carrier. Ridiculous.

when Texas has 5-6 in the box, it's like watching good old school Texas defenses and it's beautiful.

Now that there’s nothing left to play for, and not that we have any choice... we’ll have to tolerate him getting (another) “chance to prove himself” with more players coming back.

Fact of the matter is that we sucked almost as badly against La Tech and LSU with Stearns & Co. in the game, so nothing will significantly change.

13 hours ago, tjhooker said:

My son's HS Coach just told me to chill last week when I emailed him issues in the scheme.  Yesterday lost 44-3.  I have coached a few teams in 7 and 8th.  Just run basic schemes,  Coach tackling mainly.  Lost 3 games in 4 yrs.   I guess I am an idiot.  Same shit.  we can all see it.  we suck at coaching.

Maybe we should volunteer your services as an analyst.  Announcers were saying we lead the nation in missed tackles (guess they track everything now).

10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Ash landed here for a reason.  If he is the real deal, he can prove it.  Give him interim dc title, and let him interview for permanent job.

I don't see anything on his resume to imply he's even ok to good.   He took charge of whisky defense for a couple years under fat fucking regard and regressed,  followed bulimia to Arkansas and had a historically bad season there in his 1 year.

he had 2 good years at fOSU as Co-DC with Luke Fickel.  Fickel has by far the better resume and was more likely responsible for the success on defense.  

So in short, the defense couldn't really get much worse, but if Ash is the plan, we are still fucked.   Actually, the position Mensa has put us in through staff mismanagement means we are fucked regardless what does/doesn't happen.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I don't see anything on his resume to imply he's even ok to good.   He took charge of whisky defense for a couple years under fat fucking regard and regressed,  followed bulimia to Arkansas and had a historically bad season there in his 1 year.

he had 2 good years at fOSU as Co-DC with Luke Fickel.  Fickel has by far the better resume and was more likely responsible for the success on defense.  

So in short, the defense couldn't really get much worse, but if Ash is the plan, we are still fucked.   Actually, the position Mensa has put us in through staff mismanagement means we are fucked regardless what does/doesn't happen.  

So in other words ash is an upgrade.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I hear ya, but it can't be worse than what we're seeing out there right now. 

Teddy Ruxpin would be an upgrade over Orlando. 

16 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If Orlando coaches another game this year, it’s just another sign that Mensa has no accountability. We lost this game because we never adjusted in the 2nd half, and his desire to call 3 down linemen and cover with the MASH unit DBs again is unbelievable. 

this, and coaching DBs to not use their eyes arms or hands to defend a pass.  unbelievable.

CDC's credibility is now at risk.

11 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

My biggest frustration is "my guys" or "my system" I hate that about coaches. Your job is to get the best out of the players on the roster you have, personnel be dammed. If you're a coach that's hired and makes millions for that job putting out a defense ranked 126th in the nation ain't cutting it. 

Almost any DC in D1 football is going to be good with experienced players (Orlando circa 2017) the foundation of every recruit on this team from youth to veteran should be one of mastery in fundamentals. Fuck the schemes and fancy blitz and coverage packages. Find 11 guys that are sound at tackling and getting off blocks and you'll have a top 50 defense annually. Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

every coach ever runs a system and gets guys to run his system, Orlando's system sucks and needs to be replaced but the next guy is going to have a system and get guys to run his system. 

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

every coach ever runs a system and gets guys to run his system, Orlando's system sucks and needs to be replaced but the next guy is going to have a system and get guys to run his system. 

I think Muschamp came in as a stand-alone Rent-A-DC and worked with who Mack had in place. 

26 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Ash would be the perfect example of re arranging the deck chairs...he sucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Now that there’s nothing left to play for, and not that we have any choice... we’ll have to tolerate him getting (another) “chance to prove himself” with more players coming back.

Fact of the matter is that we sucked almost as badly against La Tech and LSU with Stearns & Co. in the game, so nothing will significantly change.

exactly.  If we only sucked when the injury bug bit I might have a different perspective but we have 2 years of pretty much suckage against any team with a pulse sans 3 quarters against Georgia.

we almost lost at home to the worst team in the conf and got crushed by the 3rd worst team.  this will end badly for us.  CDC must rip off the bandaid.

15 hours ago, tjhooker said:

we suck at coaching.

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Basically, we’re playing in a coaches’ league and our coaching is subpar.

If you had to rank Big 12 teams by team talent, Texas would rank no worse than 2nd , probably right behind OU (we can argue about that later). But suppose you were an AD at a school not in the Big 12—I’ll pick Arkansas as an out-of-the-blue example—and you had to exchange your entire coaching staff with one from the Big 12, how many staffs would you choose before you got to Herman and crew? Our staff certainly wouldn’t be the 1st or 2nd chosen, but would they even be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th staff that you would choose?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Really, with only four teams worse in college football at yards per game, it would be very difficult to produce a worse result. 

Todd needs to start boxing up his shit. 

In my drinking/angry stupor last night, I can't recall if I typed this or just thought it but...

This has to be some kind of record for talent level v. results.  It's not as if he's at Uconn working with 1*s.

12 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

My biggest frustration is "my guys" or "my system" I hate that about coaches. Your job is to get the best out of the players on the roster you have, personnel be dammed. If you're a coach that's hired and makes millions for that job putting out a defense ranked 126th in the nation ain't cutting it. 

Almost any DC in D1 football is going to be good with experienced players (Orlando circa 2017) the foundation of every recruit on this team from youth to veteran should be one of mastery in fundamentals. Fuck the schemes and fancy blitz and coverage packages. Find 11 guys that are sound at tackling and getting off blocks and you'll have a top 50 defense annually. Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

This is my thing.  Look,  all your DB’s are hurt,  but we actually have a plethora of talented DL and the. LBs are healthy-ish.  Lean on them to generate your pass rush and stop the run and give your DBs simplified “just keep the ball in front of you” plans that don’t over think the matter. 

They could have installed a basic 4-2-5 package using one of the smaller LBs or safeties as a rover during the bye week. 

• Like 3

Sterns, Foster, Jones, Cook and Green will all be available for Kansas State. That’s our starting five in the secondary which means there are no more excuses. 
I wish this were true, but I can pretty much guarantee if/when we still suck when the starters are back, we'll hear all about how they've been off the field for too long and need to ease their way back into things.

I fear Orlando will ride that excuse into another season, pretending that the legitimate rash of injuries that have hit our d this season have anything to do with asking backup players to blitz from South Austins mom's house.

Is this fraud fired yet? My attitude towards Texas football has been apathetic since the defense I saw against OSU. I turned off the game and went to do Halloween stuff with my kid yesterday when I saw 5 defenders give up a TD on 3rd and long from the 19. I never turn games off but how long will this guy be in charge of the defense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I wish this were true, but I can pretty much guarantee if/when we still suck when the starters are back, we'll hear all about how they've been off the field for too long and need to ease their way back into things.

I fear Orlando will ride that excuse into another season, pretending that the legitimate rash of injuries that have hit our d this season have anything to do with asking backup players to blitz from South Austins mom's house.

This, don't think the excuses run out when the starters are back, it's only the first phase of the "no excuses" plan.

Edited by Bigjohns97

17 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Is this fraud fired yet? My attitude towards Texas football has been apathetic since the defense I saw against OSU. I turned off the game and went to do Halloween stuff with my kid yesterday when I saw 5 defenders give up a TD on 3rd and long from the 19. I never turn games off but how long will this guy be in charge of the defense? 

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The insane blitzing is a problem, but Duggan was gashing us with throws when we dropped 7-8 into coverage in the second half. He had all day to throw and he found receivers downfield.

Even when we aren't blitzing, we're blitzing.  The 4th lineman, or b-backer blitzes from behind the LOS about half the time or more.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Even when we aren't blitzing, we're blitzing.  The 4th lineman, or b-backer blitzes from behind the LOS about half the time or more.

Who do we have playing b-backer? I wish Ossai was "blitzing" half of the time.

Btw, a blitz is only > 4 pass rushers.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Who do we have playing b-backer? I wish Ossai was "blitzing" half of the time.

Btw, a blitz is only > 4 pass rushers.

Yeah, that was partly facetious.  And yes, Ossai is the b-backer, and when he doesn't drop back, he often rushes from a place off the line of scrimmage kind of like a safety blitz.

But we aren't bull-rushing with an honest four-man front.

5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I want a defense that has playmakers on the line not just disruptive guys.

Well, if we ran a 4-2-5 instead of dropping Ossai into coverage 50 yards downfield we’d have that playmaker.  He’d be a great complement to Roach who is an absolute Ox on the line.  Fuck Orlando.  He’s wasting talent.  Greg Robinson could’ve gotten Steve Edmond drafted if Mack brought him in earlier.

• Like 1

The truth is tho, we should put our players in positions to be the best they can absolutely be. And the coaches aren’t doing that. There will be times you get beat...duh. But you have to find what a player is best at and use that as your advantage. It’s exactly what Alex grinch is doing at ousux. Yes I realize KState whooped them, but at least they know who they are and what they are best at. It’s like when we had Omenihu here and there were often plays where he would drop into the flat and play zone. That’s not a good idea ever unless you know without a shadow of a doubt the screen is coming his way. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

3rd and 14 and 3rd and 11 on TCU's game winning drive lol. 3rd and long is right where opponents want us. Has been since 2015. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I couldn’t believe it when that MFer called an all out blitz on 3rd and 14 just like he did to lose to LSU

You gotta be kidding me 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I couldn’t believe it when that MFer called an all out blitz on 3rd and 14 just like he did to lose to LSU

You gotta be kidding me 

the one on their last drive? That was a good call, the QB made a superhuman throw with a guy just 0.05 seconds from the qB hit. Also a hell of a catch. The most important play of the game.