To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

the one on their last drive? That was a good call, the QB made a superhuman throw with a guy just 0.05 seconds from the qB hit. Also a hell of a catch. The most important play of the game.

This.  The zero blitz was the right call there,  it just didn’t work.  It was the dozen and a half 3 man rush alignment/slow blitz that kept TCU in the game that brought that exceptional physical play to our doorstep.  We shouldn’t have been in that position. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

the one on their last drive? That was a good call, the QB made a superhuman throw with a guy just 0.05 seconds from the qB hit. Also a hell of a catch. The most important play of the game.

the one play when our db looks back for the ball and it fucked us to tears.

22 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

If you were paid in the top 10% of all people in your field but performed in the bottom 10%, would you keep your job? Fire him today to give whoever is next 2 whole weeks to get everyone up to speed.

It seems clear to me that barring some even more ridiculous collapse on national TV or something like that, Orlando is here through Tech.  So now I am focusing on the offseason.  What are the odds he’s here next September if things stay pretty much where they are now?

I think above 75%.  I hear “injuries forced us to...” and “can’t expect 3rd string to perform” excuses from the Talented Mr. Herman. 

19 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Since when? If you aren’t a lineman, and you rush the qb, that’s a blitz.

14 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No

The old school definition of blitz is rushing a DB regardless of the total number of rushers.

The modern definition is rushing 5+.

So rushing a deep safety as a 4th might still be considered a blitz, but rushing a LB as a 4th is definitely not.

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The old school definition of blitz is rushing a DB regardless of the total number of rushers.

The modern definition is rushing 5+.

So rushing a deep safety as a 4th might still be considered a blitz, but rushing a LB as a 4th is definitely not.

What is it when you rush a guy who's 15 yards away from the LOS?

15 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This.  The zero blitz was the right call there,  it just didn’t work.  It was the dozen and a half 3 man rush alignment/slow blitz that kept TCU in the game that brought that exceptional physical play to our doorstep.  We shouldn’t have been in that position. 

Well it didn't work in literally the exact same situation against LSU either.

• Like 1

Has Phil Parker from Iowa been mentioned?  He puts out a top 25 defense each year, and I bet they dont pay his what his production is worth. 
Parker is DC at Iowa --> Kirk Ferentz hired him there --> Kirk Ferentz hired Greg Davis as his OC, with the benefit of years of tape from his time at Texas --> I do not trust Kirk Ferentz judgement in coordinator hires --> I do not want Phil Parker.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, JBJ said:

It's without a doubt the opposite.  (Too simple not too complex).

I'm doubling down on this.  We've had zero multiplicity in the defense this year.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in coaches meetings and find out why.  The pressers have been pretty adamant about simplifying things and trying to win with better players, but geez are we making things easy for opposing offenses.

18 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Not really. Tyler Owens is a great prospect, but he had already proven in the game that he can't find the ball in the air (which shouldn't be a surprise because none of our DBs seem able to do that). While it ended up being a great catch, the bottom line is that the defensive playcall guaranteed that our true freshman 3rd string safety would be in a one-on-one situation with a receiver who had already burned him in the game. On 3rd and really long. That's not a good call.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not really. Tyler Owens is a great prospect, but he had already proven in the game that he can't find the ball in the air (which shouldn't be a surprise because none of our DBs seem able to do that). While it ended up being a great catch, the bottom line is that the defensive playcall guaranteed that our true freshman 3rd string safety would be in a one-on-one situation with a receiver who had already burned him in the game. On 3rd and really long. That's not a good call.

Every week the coaches say they’ve got to fit their scheme and calls to what the players can do.  And then they don’t.  Our only pass catching TE gets injured and we continue to flex his backups out.  Our center cannot put his face across their nose guard.  So, let’s continue to run zone instead of counter.  Our weak side backer is repeatedly sucked into the line on zone reads by every QB we play.   So, let’s not put an overhang defender on his side, ever.  

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Every week the coaches say they’ve got to fit their scheme and calls to what the players can do.  And then they don’t.  Our only pass catching TE gets injured and we continue to flex his backups out.  Our center cannot put his face across their nose guard.  So, let’s continue to run zone instead of counter.  Our weak side backer is repeatedly sucked into the line on zone reads by every QB we play.   So, let’s not put an overhang defender on his side, ever.  

Didn’t know Scott Derry was still playing.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why did we start two freshman safety’s if Jones was Healthy and starting?

with cooks, green and Jameson .....that should have been enough to work with and protect one weak safety 

I want to know why the freshman safety wasn't the one blitzing instead of being assigned to man coverage duty

8 hours ago, jinx said:

Maybe we should put Rod on staff.  He seems to do more research than anyone we are paying to do research.

From about 21:50 of the latest Longhorn Blitz podcast Babers excoriates the lack of know how by our DBs on fundamental aspects of playing DB. Calls out the coaching. It was a really good listen. I have an android but I can't find anything other than an Apple podcast link to their podcast. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/horns247-podcasts-longhorn-blitz-flagship-state-recruiting/id1279981104?i=1000455463068

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
Forgot the link

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Man, in school guys like that we’re typically lug heads. Now I’m really concerned.

ummm, ya think?  white trash dudes from the midwest who willingly asked for a boz cut?

hence why our defensive issues stem from things that we perceive as "stubbornness."  it isn't stubbornness...he's just a fucking dumbshit jock.  he's the guy that people like leach, riley, brady, etc... just have to love watching in the film room.  todd is good at defending pro style, i formation teams that run a very basic passing scheme that is largely predicated on a traditional run sets/blocking schemes.  that's why we were effective in neutralizing georgia last year.  it's why we've had relative defensive success against kstate and iowa state the last two years.  but he fucking SUCKS against anything besides that.  any complexity, any routes that aren't just stops or go's, any qb that can run, any unconventional run game, any kind of air raid...he's totally fucking lost and we are dependent on our jimmys and joes going out there and dominating at the point of attack.  well, when every starting or backup jimmy and joe you have is hurt, you're fucked.  granted, any dc is going to be put in a tough position enduring our defensive injuries, but god almighty he is fucking dumb.  herman is signing his own career death sentence if he doesn't do what's necessary.  if fucking ed orgeron can figure that out, tom better.

• Like 1