Kegerator

This might be more appropriate in the food forum, but this is mostly about placement and practicality. Doing major remodel and want two tap kegerator which I will put in a cabinet, like a built in appliance. Will put on heavy duty slide out drawer for ease of servicing. Will have vent in door for air circulation. Obviously will need electric run to that section of cabinet. 

What else do I need to think about for placement, servicing and convenience? Have I lost my mind?

Next, who in Austin do I need to talk to about purchasing and servicing?

If this is indeed too impractical, what is an alternative for fresh beer? Growlers seem too small. It would mostly be for entertaining as I like beer, but won't be drinking a keg a week. 

beer will stay good on CO2 for quite a while.  way longer than week.  it's not like getting a keg for an outdoor party where you pressurize by using the handpump and putting air in to the keg.  air oxidizes the beer and give it that cardboard-ish taste after a while.  a lot of kegs will come in 5gal sizes as well.

I think you are wanting to have the taps come through the counter top, yes?  That's obviously permanent-ish so choose location wisely.  I bought a stainless steel clad medical fridge and then converted that to a kegerator (drilled holes, installed taps) but it's a free standing one.  i do homebrewing and use 5 gallon kegs.

• Hook 'Em 1

http://www.rayfes.com/me/kegerator/kegerator.php

I know zip, zero, nada about kegerators.  But, I stumbled onto this website several years ago and bookmarked it because of its detail.  The guy is a UT EE grad who seems to like his beer.

Maybe it’ll help give you an idea for how you might proceed.  🍻 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

10 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I know zip, zero, nada about kegerators.  But, I stumbled onto this website several years ago and bookmarked it because of its detail.  The guy is a UT EE grad who seems to like his beer.

Pics of his parties take me back a few decades. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

LOL i went through the EE program with Rayfes.  good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

This might be more appropriate in the food forum, but this is mostly about placement and practicality. Doing major remodel and want two tap kegerator which I will put in a cabinet, like a built in appliance. Will put on heavy duty slide out drawer for ease of servicing. Will have vent in door for air circulation. Obviously will need electric run to that section of cabinet. 

What else do I need to think about for placement, servicing and convenience? Have I lost my mind?

Next, who in Austin do I need to talk to about purchasing and servicing?

If this is indeed too impractical, what is an alternative for fresh beer? Growlers seem too small. It would mostly be for entertaining as I like beer, but won't be drinking a keg a week. 

Confused as your description seems like you aren't just going to go with a ready to go under cabinet kegerator that you can slap a cabinet face on if you want that look?  Is there reason you're not going that route as seems like would be easier?

I obviously have some research to do. No, taps do not come up through counter top.  I am thinking of something that keeps it totally hidden when not in use, hence the heavy duty slide out drawer. I guess more like a thin pantry than a cabinet, and fold away doors. I'm wanting to avoid an appliance standing out in the middle of the floor and also want to minimize the noise of the compressor.  The more I think about it the more impractical it seems, but keg beer is significantly better, in my thinking. I probably don't drink enough to justify this and maybe I should  just keep one in the garage for parties.  Still, I welcome your ideas. This is a once in a lifetime build and I wanted to trick out the living area.

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

That dude seems like he fucks. 

Buy old deep freeze

Pop lid/ build wooden collar

Reattach lid drill holes for taps and insert

Buy temperature regulator that will cycle freezer off below desired set point

Purchase C02 regulator and distribution lines

Decorate at your pleasure

Place in garage

Drink cold fresh beer in your garage

Profit...well depends on how much beer you drink

1 hour ago, Not that Bob said:

I obviously have some research to do. No, taps do not come up through counter top.  I am thinking of something that keeps it totally hidden when not in use, hence the heavy duty slide out drawer. I guess more like a thin pantry than a cabinet, and fold away doors. I'm wanting to avoid an appliance standing out in the middle of the floor and also want to minimize the noise of the compressor.  The more I think about it the more impractical it seems, but keg beer is significantly better, in my thinking. I probably don't drink enough to justify this and maybe I should  just keep one in the garage for parties.  Still, I welcome your ideas. This is a once in a lifetime build and I wanted to trick out the living area.

Put it in a pantry with a louvered door.   Open door to access beer.  

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Put it in a pantry with a louvered door.   Open door to access beer.  

Thanks, Gil. I think you just pointed out that I'm over thinking it. I was thinking of making a dedicated pantry, but in truth that is not required. Just roll the bastard in with the rest of the stuff and roll out when needed.

Edited by Not that Bob
cause

16 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Thanks, Gil. I think you just pointed out that I'm over thinking it. I was thinking of making a dedicated pantry, but in truth that is not required. Just roll the bastard in with the rest of the stuff and roll out when needed.

...I was thinking dedicated home bar, but I don't need encouragement to drink more. In pantry it is.

A little late to this one, but we did this several years ago with the tower/faucet on the counter top.  Don't know anything about hiding it.  Here are a few considerations for anyone going the built in route:

They make under counter kegerators.  Ours is a Summit.  These have fans on the coils to keep them from overheating in the enclosed space.  They are a bit more expensive, but this is what you want.  You can put inserts on the outside of the doors on these to make it look like the rest of your cabinetry. 

You'll want to run a small fan inside the kegerator (you can run power through the drain hole) to circulate the air inside.  Ideally, you'll run a tube from the fan up into the tower to keep the lines cool all the way to the faucet. 

There will be a gap between the top of the kegerator and the countertop.  You'll want to bridge this gap with some pvc pipe so your cool air isn't lost to the inside of the cabinet and your lines stay cool. 

If you ever decide you don't want a kegerator, you can simply remove the tower and drip pan, patch the counter top, and have a refrigerator.

Here is ours. 

100-2090.jpg

Edited by dcbc