Replacement Windows

1 hour ago, PvilleStang said:

No, job was 138 if we do it today, 177 or so if we didn't.  

Which is why I used the discounted “sign today” figure.  Even that lower number is a rip off.   $39K more for the right to think about it?  

You could buy better Marvin windows and find a window replacement guy and save a truckload of Rocko type tax bracket money.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just chiming in... I have an 80's build in Austin. Nothing terribly special or high end, but we try to take care of it. During the '21 freeze, the old original aluminum frame windows literally had ice on the inside. Decided that was enough.

Got three bids, went with Window World. They are the vinyl, and I think it cost around $9k for 13 windows? 

I thought it was a great experience. I'm always on edge with contractors looking to cut corners. These guys were pretty dang good. More than a year after installing I still need to go back and caulk/touch up paint on some of the window trim, but overall a painless experience.

And compared to single pane aluminum window frames? Holy shit. I got them because of winter cold, but they make such a big difference in the summer. The spots where the sun shines in during the morning on the floor or on the kitchen counter used to be nice and toasty. Now they are the exact same temperature as the rest of the floor. Super happy with it all.

18 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just chiming in... I have an 80's build in Austin. Nothing terribly special or high end, but we try to take care of it. During the '21 freeze, the old original aluminum frame windows literally had ice on the inside. Decided that was enough.

Got three bids, went with Window World. They are the vinyl, and I think it cost around $9k for 13 windows? 

I thought it was a great experience. I'm always on edge with contractors looking to cut corners. These guys were pretty dang good. More than a year after installing I still need to go back and caulk/touch up paint on some of the window trim, but overall a painless experience.

And compared to single pane aluminum window frames? Holy shit. I got them because of winter cold, but they make such a big difference in the summer. The spots where the sun shines in during the morning on the floor or on the kitchen counter used to be nice and toasty. Now they are the exact same temperature as the rest of the floor. Super happy with it all.

My only concern is the vinyl holding up to the direct sun for 6-8 hours a day.  A lot of reviews (and personal experience with vinyl siding in the past) reference the vinyl material getting brittle and / or warping.  As well as the color, as the wife wants black frames on all the windows.

27 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

My only concern is the vinyl holding up to the direct sun for 6-8 hours a day.  A lot of reviews (and personal experience with vinyl siding in the past) reference the vinyl material getting brittle and / or warping.  As well as the color, as the wife wants black frames on all the windows.

Understandable. I think anything in Texas is going to have a tough time. We go from 105 for weeks on end to ice storms and freezing temps. That's a huge swing so there's going to be expansion/contraction, peeling, degradation. I'll have to look back, but there's a pretty good warranty.

As well, given the cost difference as I understand it, if they need replacing in 15-20 years instead of 50-60 years, I think I still come out ahead. 

I also have only a couple that take direct afternoon sun for hours on end. All the rest it's a couple of hours until a house or tree offers some shade.

So far I've had them about 18 months and really happy, especially with what I upgraded from.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of a major remodel. Don't NEED new windows on the front of the house but decided to go for it to match the addition. Also the siding is a new color and the old windows don't match and I'm not sure that paint match would be feasible. 

I was told today by the builder that because the two upstairs windows in the front are in bedrooms, they must pass egress and apparently at the size they are they do not, regardless of if we opt for casement, sliding or double hung. He says if we want to go through with it they would need to make them bigger, which of course is more money.

My question is if we punt on the windows now and decide to hire a standalone window company to replace them in 6 months do I need to worry about egress? We would be all through with city inspections at that point presumably. 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, Baboontyme said:

The way he initially communicated it, it was meet egress or no new windows. Would have had to make bigger cut outs, tear up the new siding etc. After pressing him on it turns out we don't have to meet egress.

For resale purposes (not to mention safety) I'd probably encourage you to do your best to meet egress requirements. What size do you currently have in there? Certain manufacturers have different hinge systems that allow for windows that would typically not meet egress to qualify.