Have any of you assholes moved to Denver?

9 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I work remotely and am thinking about moving to Denver in March for at least a year to try it out.

Have any of you assholes already made the move and do you have any advice?

My understanding is everyone in Co loves Texans. So be as Texan as you can when you arrive.    Also, PM @Js1 who I believe is there now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Was born in CO.  Have lived in Texas most of my life. Most of my dad's side of family is in Denver area( Lakewood.)

If i didn't live in Texas, I would want it to be there; although some of the public policy is getting a little too "taxy" for my tastes. 2 examples that hit every day life:  Gas is straight up $.70/gal higher than in Texas.  We went this summer to visit and local municipality was taxing plastic bags at grocery store $.10/ea.

Fuck all that.

Oh and +1 on lack of diversity.  It sticks out big time.

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

My understanding is everyone in Co loves Texans. So be as Texan as you can when you arrive.    Also, PM @Js1 who I believe is there now. 

Relocating back to Texas actually 

Like Denver a lot, but it’s expensive. Lack of diversity. Food scene blows. It’s young and feels like it’s getting younger regularly. Traffic blows ass. 

We are full.

Within the expensive urban core, there is plenty of diversity, damn good food, and culture. The cost of living within the urban core of Denver is expensive. The burbs are like burbs everywhere from Southern California to Austin. Public transportation has improved, but the traffic infrastructure remains insufficient (within the urban core, traffic flows well).

Five major sports for the less active. For the more active, the Rocky Mountains are a playground. 

But again, we are full. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, slorch said:

Was born in CO.  Have lived in Texas most of my life. Most of my dad's side of family is in Denver area( Lakewood.)

If i didn't live in Texas, I would want it to be there; although some of the public policy is getting a little too "taxy" for my tastes. 2 examples that hit every day life:  Gas is straight up $.70/gal higher than in Texas.  We went this summer to visit and local municipality was taxing plastic bags at grocery store $.10/ea.

Fuck all that.

Oh and +1 on lack of diversity.  It sticks out big time.

No CR, but c'mon dude, that's just good public policy.  There is too much fucking plastic in this world, and too much pollution.  CA does this too, and I'm all for it.   We have a couple of insulated shopping bags in the trunk of the car, and I fold up a couple of plastic grocery bags and stick em in my truck.  It takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but it's nothing more than a teeny tiny inconvenience.  

Nobody "taxes" you for using your own bag.  

As far as gas goes, yeah, y'all pump a lot of oil and refine a lot of gas in Texas.  IIRC, Colorado's gas tax is about the same as Texas.  Gas costs more in CO for market reasons, not taxes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Like Denver a lot, but it’s expensive. Lack of diversity. Food scene blows. It’s young and feels like it’s getting younger regularly. Traffic blows ass. 

Not picking a fight, and I don't know Denver well...well, really at all.  What do you mean?  There aren't as many good restaurants? Or, there isn't a great hole-in-the-wall ethnic place on every corner?    Again, not arguing.  Just seeking clarity here. 

Just now, Gil Bang said:

Not picking a fight, and I don't know Denver well...well, really at all.  What do you mean?  There aren't as many good restaurants? Or, there isn't a great hole-in-the-wall ethnic place on every corner?    Again, not arguing.  Just seeking clarity here. 

To me, the diversity of the food scene blows. Plus green chili is in everything and it’s so overrated.  

Except for the food scene, you just described austin.

It’s all perspective. I look at Denver and think how affordable it is.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

No CR, but c'mon dude, that's just good public policy.  There is too much fucking plastic in this world, and too much pollution.  CA does this too, and I'm all for it.   We have a couple of insulated shopping bags in the trunk of the car, and I fold up a couple of plastic grocery bags and stick em in my truck.  It takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but it's nothing more than a teeny tiny inconvenience.  

Nobody "taxes" you for using your own bag.  

As far as gas goes, yeah, y'all pump a lot of oil and refine a lot of gas in Texas.  IIRC, Colorado's gas tax is about the same as Texas.  Gas costs more in CO for market reasons, not taxes. 

Spoiler

Yeah, not all of it is taxes.  Coloradoans love them some fees too.  They have attempted to control taxation, so the politicians find a different avenue.  Fuck California too.  Not everyone wants to live that way.

https://www.cpr.org/2021/01/07/as-gasoline-tax-revenues-fall-polis-and-legislative-leaders-eye-new-fees-to-shore-up-colorados-transportation-funding/

https://www.cpr.org/2021/06/17/transportation-funding-law-gas-delivery-fees-increase/

Just discussing reality of considering a new place to live.  Gil and I disagree, and that's fine.  Not everyone is into the same directives/ narratives.

Edited by slorch

On 9/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Gil Bang said:

he cant afford it

moved there long while ago.  great climate.  for me the perfect sized city - downtown blends with the city so there isnt this binary urban/suburban divide.  (lived in a house walking distance to cbd/work).  great airport (and transit to airport).  traffic was minimal. maybe thats changed now. 

most of all i loved the vibe there - to me everyone seemed chill and positive and on the same broad wavelength. 

10/10 would live there again.

• Hook 'Em 3

If I were to move to Colorado, it would be somewhere at higher elevation, like Evergreen or Conifer. Denver sucks. In the summer it still gets fucking hot. And the Denver airport is the worst. Takes forever to get there and is always a huge mess.

• Like 1

I moved there in 1988 and lived there for 4 years.  I lived in the burbs in Greenwood Village and loved it.  I'm not sure that any of my experiences are very relevant to you though.  When I lived there Stapleton was still the airport (it was very convenient to downtown), there was no MLB, and pot wasn't legal.  I loved the weather there and that probably hasn't change too much since I was there.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 9/4/2021 at 2:27 PM, Gil Bang said:

Denver has a great food scene (the past 10 years it has improved 10x),  but it's primarily higher end stuff.  If Denver is too expensive for him, so are the restaurants.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

If I were to move to Colorado, it would be somewhere at higher elevation, like Evergreen or Conifer. Denver sucks. In the summer it still gets fucking hot. And the Denver airport is the worst. Takes forever to get there and is always a huge mess.

DIA is one of the best airports around (at least before the construction).  It's easy to navigate and if you have to check bags, your luggage is out fast.  

But Colorado is full anyway.  So stay where you are.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I moved there in 1988 and lived there for 4 years.  I lived in the burbs in Greenwood Village and loved it.  I'm not sure that any of my experiences are very relevant to you though.  When I lived there Stapleton was still the airport (it was very convenient to downtown), there was no MLB, and pot wasn't legal.  I loved the weather there and that probably hasn't change too much since I was there.

We were neighbors back then.  I grew up in GV and lived there until I went to college in 1993.  GV used to be the end of the southern suburbs.  Now they stretch pretty much all the way to Castle Rock.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

But Colorado is full anyway.  So stay where you are.

Abso-fucking-lutely. I bought a house in the mountains of northern New Mexico at 7500 feet of elevation and I love it there. If I need to fly I use ABQ which is a very convenient little airport.

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Do any big airports not have trains these days?  All the ones I can think of do.

I can't think of any that don't have a back-up or alternative to get to a concourse. When DIA's train goes down, which has happened several times recently, the airport shuts down. A friend was flying to DIA from Austin recently and the train broke while in-flight. They got diverted to GJT and had to spend the night as a result. 

Just now, royiv said:

I can't think of any that don't have a back-up or alternative to get to a concourse. When DIA's train goes down, which has happened several times recently, the airport shuts down. A friend was flying to DIA from Austin recently and the train broke while in-flight. They got diverted to GJT and had to spend the night as a result. 

That's true, although it doesn't happen often.  

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We were neighbors back then.  I grew up in GV and lived there until I went to college in 1993.  GV used to be the end of the southern suburbs.  Now they stretch pretty much all the way to Castle Rock.

Yeah it's not that big.  We lived off of S Monaco St. just west of I25

• Hook 'Em 1

I can actually afford it just fine since I got a huge raise to come out here. But hey, fuck you two for assuming otherwise! 

DIA sucks. Green chili sucks too.  Denver fart sniffers are the worst. Beautiful city but some of the worst people to inhabit it.  It’ll be a great place to visit again but it wasn’t for me to live in.

Ill miss the ease of getting around. I’ll miss the scenery and the weather. I’ll miss mountain time, it’s quite superior to the others. 

Edited by Js1

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can actually afford it just fine since I got a huge raise to come out here. But hey, fuck you two for assuming otherwise! 

DIA sucks. Green chili sucks too.  Denver fart sniffers are the worst. Beautiful city but some of the worst people to inhabit it.  It’ll be a great place to visit again but it wasn’t for me to live in.

Ill miss the ease of getting around. I’ll miss the scenery and the weather. I’ll miss mountain time, it’s quite superior to the others. 

If you can afford to eat at the good restaurants, then what's your problem with Denver?  Green chile is a New Mexico thing.  We have some here, but it's not even close to being everywhere.  There are a million great places to eat.  And DIA is a very easy airport to navigate.  It's 100x better than DFW or Bush.  Austin is nice, but small.  You can't really compare it to DIA.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If you can afford to eat at the good restaurants, then what's your problem with Denver?  Green chile is a New Mexico thing.  We have some here, but it's not even close to being everywhere.  There are a million great places to eat.  And DIA is a very easy airport to navigate.  It's 100x better than DFW or Bush.  Austin is nice, but small.  You can't really compare it to DIA.

I’m not from Austin. I could not care less about Austin