Arkansas game week

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Ridgeway had an appendectomy last Saturday. I still doubt he’s good to go though. 

Pool is a terribly overrated LB.  Grades out poorly every week. Makes All SEC due to high tackle numbers. Morgan is legit though. 

Pool played with broken ribs all last season but yeah for every good play he makes he also misses a ton of tackles. 

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah the Arky QB played a lot better in 2nd half.  The natives got restless though... 😋

The boos were actually because we decided to run the clock out with 45 seconds left before the half instead of trying to score. Fans got spoiled of Petrino going for the throat any chance he got and don’t like being so conservative. We could have at least tried to get into FG range but a lot of coaches do the same thing I guess.

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Fayettenam.

I don't care how long it has been those fuckers are going to go nuts they want to beat us so bad. Sark better have his team ready. I know Arky sucks but whatever they have will be on full display on Saturday.

This is a big test for us.

Yes, the worst thing we could is go in there and start flat, expecting to cruise.

I hope that Sark has some Saban magic tools for maintaining focus and intensity throughout both game and season. I know this is the Mr Rogers generation, that needs self esteem strokes all the time to function, but pray we have a hungry appetite for getting better, playing hard, and winning. Recent records don't mean shit. Anyone can pop an upset.

That said, I like our chances better now than a year ago.

22 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

I’m not sure you can definitively say ULL is better. Sure they went 10-1 and had a great win over Iowa State but also won most Sun Belt games by 7-10 points including 2 points over Georgia Southern and OT against Georgia State. Arkansas wasn’t a great SEC team last year but still won 3 SEC games, probably would have fared much better in most of those games than ULL did against their schedule.

That said it won’t matter if Arkansas shoots itself in the foot with drops and penalties again like that dreadful first half against Rice. Lots of P5 teams seemed to struggle yesterday, not sure if it was just being vanilla or what.

Arkansas beat the Mississippi schools and Tennessee last year. Let's not pretend those are good teams just because the jersey says SEC. Tennessee knows a thing or two about losing to Georgia State after all.

Certainly based on last year and week one showing, which is kind of the weird hybrid evaluation you have to do at this point of the year, I think you'd have to give the nod to ULL. Perhaps it's reasonable to argue the gap isn't big or the teams are pretty similar, but it's no more favorable for Arkansas than that. I am not saying it's out of the realm of possibility that Arkansas wins. It's the first road game for a new coach and QB and Arkansas, while certainly flawed, also has some legitimate NFL talent like Burks and Catalon. More so that Texas should be able to hit a level of play Arkansas can't match, and if they don't, something is seriously wrong on their end that portends a long year.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Translation for those who do not speak pig: "We are about to get wrecked but at least we have daddy Bama to hide behind!"

41 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I watched about a half of the rice game and I saw a team that would lose to Ulala. But I didn’t see the second half do they have anyone outside a running QB to worry about?  Running QBs scare ya to death 

Treylon Burks is a very good player who had a very bad game.

Catalon and Morgan are excellent defensive players.

That's kind of it though, arky will be amped, but they aren't very good

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I watched about a half of the rice game and I saw a team that would lose to Ulala. But I didn’t see the second half do they have anyone outside a running QB to worry about?  Running QBs scare ya to death 

I mean sure, if we had Rice speed on defense it would be a challenge. My guess is their QB ain't going to be faster than everyone on the Texas defense. He's their version of Swoopes. He may run over someone at some point during the game, but I bet the game plan will be to make him beat them from the pocket.

I just don't see Briles and their QB outdueling and outthinking Kwiatkowski. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Treylon Burks is a very good player who had a very bad game.

Catalon and Morgan are excellent defensive players.

That's kind of it though, arky will be amped, but they aren't very good

Trelon Smith is a very good RB but he’s tiny and probably can’t handle a huge workload consistently. The #1 CB Montaric Brown is one of the better corners in the SEC but #2 CB is a weakness. DL has some depth and will rotate a lot of guys but no one really stands out as that guy you need to double team.

Ketron Jackson is going to be a really good player at WR eventually but as a freshman it will probably be later in the season before it starts to show. Same thing for a couple of talented 4* freshman RBs, AJ Green and Rocket Sanders, not sure they’ll play much Saturday but should eat into Smith’s carries if they progress like we expect.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BlakeOfTheYear said:

I was at the Arky/Rice game and to me they looked pretty shitty from an execution and play calling standpoint. All we need to do is force them to throw the ball

Have we trailed Rice in the 2nd half anytime recently? 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

There is no other fan base with a more inverse amount of shit talk relative to actual production.  They’ve been the worst P5 team the last decade with some god awful non conference losses but they’ll tell you how Bama runs a train on them every year.

They think the SEC is hard because every team is better than them but that’s because they’re terrible in football.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rivalry between Texas and Arkansas may have cooled over the past thirty years since the hogs left the old Southwest conference.  So my recommendations may be outdated and overblown, I don't know.  However, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

So, I would strongly recommend not leaving a personal vehicle with any Texas identification (licenses plates, registration sticker, TxTag, etc.) anywhere in Fayetteville next Saturday unless your insurance is up-to-date and your deductible is low.   Rent a vehicle with non-Texas plates and buy the extra insurance.   Needless to say, when your vehicle is left unattended, any evidence of being associated with the Texas Longhorns should be removed.

Additionally, I would not let anyone I cared about park and walk to Reynolds wearing Texas Longhorn gear or Burnt Orange colors.  Take a taxi and get dropped-off at the gate.   After the game is over you won't be able to get a taxi so pre-plan a pickup right at a stadium exit.  Traffic will be bad, so don't expect your pickup to be prompt.   I would not leave the stadium until all the crowd clears out.

The area immediately around the stadium should be pretty much safe for anyone wearing Burnt Orange Saturday night.  But walking any distance from Reynolds to your vehicle (parking) will make Columbus look like Vacation Bible School.  Especially if the locals have the "scat" juice ready to be tossed on Texas fans walking from the stadium after a Longhorn victory.  Be safe and good luck going to the game in Fayetteville.   I suspect you are going to need it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Arkansas beat the Mississippi schools and Tennessee last year. Let's not pretend those are good teams just because the jersey says SEC. Tennessee knows a thing or two about losing to Georgia State after all.

Certainly based on last year and week one showing, which is kind of the weird hybrid evaluation you have to do at this point of the year, I think you'd have to give the nod to ULL. Perhaps it's reasonable to argue the gap isn't big or the teams are pretty similar, but it's no more favorable for Arkansas than that. I am not saying it's out of the realm of possibility that Arkansas wins. It's the first road game for a new coach and QB and Arkansas, while certainly flawed, also has some legitimate NFL talent like Burks and Catalon. More so that Texas should be able to hit a level of play Arkansas can't match, and if they don't, something is seriously wrong on their end that portends a long year.

Translation for those who do not speak pig: "We are about to get wrecked but at least we have daddy Bama to hide behind!"

I think you will find a few better individual players and more depth for arky. ULL fell apart after one of their D Linemen went down. But ULL vs Arky I would really have to think hard about who wins that game.