Post-Game : We Won. They Lost. ULL is Ass

Hiphopopotamos

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

No. They didn't call it the best OL they have ever had. There really is a dearth of OL talent in the room. They went with the guys with the most starts approach, and it didn't go well as expected. Angilau getting sucks, but at least it moves up the time table for the younger guys. Though I did find it interesting that it was Connor that got the call and not Imade or Johnson. Maybe Johnson is a left side guy only, and I knew the reports of Imade were not true. The dude is massive, strong, and works hard. He's apparently not a good football player which is ok. Get your education Tope.

The hope is either Flood gets it fixed with the veterans or realizes the youth movement needs to start. I was a little upset that there was no real substitution, but I also have to take into account that we had a freshmen QB and a freshmen C in a new scheme. It wasn't as bad as say aggy, who went with the same setup.

I expect us to hit the portal for OLs hard this offseason

I thought he played pretty good considering it was his first game an all.  But I’mcautiously optimistic 

For sure, that’s not mutually exclusive. I think he played pretty well, all things considered. No WTF moments is a huge plus at this stage of his career.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I expect us to hit the portal for OLs hard this offseason

Me too but you really need to have a OL tradition where you can redshirt blue chips. It's the hardest position on the field in terms of physical maturity and also awareness. Teams can win with a bad OL win year (see us, 2009) but Mack's utter inability to recruit or develop linemen from about 2006 on (recruiting wise) is the main reason we've sucked for all these years. Pat Mahomes could not win the Super Bowl last year with that dogshit line they had to roll out against TB and we sure as hell couldn't win with Tyrone Swoopes behind an even worse line. 

we are slowly getting back to where we need to be...Jimbo left FSU in the same heap of shit; let's see how long it takes them to get out of it. 

4 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Good OL play usually takes time. Even OU’s lines don’t get to full dominance till mid season it seems.

I believe in flood and am optimistic they will get better every week.

I agree.    And with all the hype aggy is getting, their O line  and QB looked like horse shit against a team that should be in FCS.  As rough as ours looked, I thought we looked like world beaters compared to OU sux and aggy O-lines and against a better quality opponent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Two game takeaways: 

1) Despite shitty fan experience, the heat + 3:30 kick turned out to be a major, major home field advantage for us. Midway through the 3rd quarter, we have a long drive right when the shade starts to cover our sideline; meanwhile, their sideline continues to bake until the fourth. After that drive we go up 28-12, their D starters were gassed, their depth was cooked, and it was over. 

Probably won't get this again this year, but it was huge to cement this dominant first win for Sark. 

2) Looked like the guys were having a lot of fun, especially DMO and Luke. Haven't seen our LBs playing off each other and slapping pads like that in a while. Great energy. 

One thread takeaway: 

1) Dont think I've seen the word "Coleman" in here yet. 🤔

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Agree 100 percent on watching Card live. He definitely has a long way to go in terms of pocket presence and command of the offense. Certainly showed flashes though, and I don’t remember any wtf type bad throws, though that TD to Brewer was actually pretty risky.

I'd give his performance a solid B or B+ overall, but an A for a RS Fr playing his first game, against a solid opponent, and in a brand new system. Also had poor protection. Pretty impressive given the context.

His overthrows were on deep balls so pretty harmless but room for improvement. Good accuracy on everything else and nothing close to being picked off. Used his legs well when needed. Agree that pocket presence is an area for improvement. 

My favorite plays from him were the Worthy throw (fit in nicely between the CB and S), the audible that led to Bijan's walk-in TD, the Brewer TD, and the Bijan vertical.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree 100 percent on watching Card live. He definitely has a long way to go in terms of pocket presence and command of the offense. Certainly showed flashes though, and I don’t remember any wtf type bad throws, though that TD to Brewer was actually pretty risky.

You need to have a pocket to have a presence.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hudson mechanically has a lot of similarities to Baker in the way he throws the football. Probably has a lot to do with them both playing at Lake Travis.

Biggest plus for me with Card yesterday was how quick the ball got to the target, no time for the defender to recover and come back to make a play on the ball.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Hudson mechanically has a lot of similarities to Baker in the way he throws the football. Probably has a lot to do with them both playing at Lake Travis.

Biggest plus for me with Card yesterday was how quick the ball got to the target, no time for the defender to recover and come back to make a play on the ball.

Yep. the Brewer TD was a thing of beauty. He threw it just has Brewer reached the top of his route. Past QBs would have waited for Brewer to turn around giving the defense plenty of time to readjust their eyes

• Hook 'Em 1

For all the talk about the playmakers in the ULL defensive backfield and how they bait qbs into throws, Card didn’t really seem to fall for any of it. His incompletions were mainly overthrows on deep balls where he had man coverage and balls that he threw away when he had nothing there (or was running for his life).

Unless I’m forgetting one, I don’t think he had any really bad decisions with the ball we were lucky didn’t get picked off. He’s lucky he didn’t fumble when he got sacked by the free rusher he never saw though.  

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Askew said:

Two game takeaways: 

1) Despite shitty fan experience, the heat + 3:30 kick turned out to be a major, major home field advantage for us. Midway through the 3rd quarter, we have a long drive right when the shade starts to cover our sideline; meanwhile, their sideline continues to bake until the fourth. After that drive we go up 28-12, their D starters were gassed, their depth was cooked, and it was over. 

Probably won't get this again this year, but it was huge to cement this dominant first win for Sark. 

2) Looked like the guys were having a lot of fun, especially DMO and Luke. Haven't seen our LBs playing off each other and slapping pads like that in a while. Great energy. 

One thread takeaway: 

1) Dont think I've seen the word "Coleman" in here yet. 🤔

When I go camping I always make sure to take my trusty Coleman lamp.

45 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'd give his performance a solid B or B+ overall, but an A for a RS Fr playing his first game, against a solid opponent, and in a brand new system. Also had poor protection. Pretty impressive given the context.

His overthrows were on deep balls so pretty harmless but room for improvement. Good accuracy on everything else and nothing close to being picked off. Used his legs well when needed. Agree that pocket presence is an area for improvement. 

My favorite plays from him were the Worthy throw (fit in nicely between the CB and S), the audible that led to Bijan's walk-in TD, the Brewer TD, and the Bijan vertical.

My initial reaction at the game was that Sark still has the training wheels on Card.  Card held on to the ball too long several times.  He definitely seemed he’d rather be cautious than throw something that could be close to an interception, and we ended the game with no turnovers. IMO he did way better than I thought he would evading the pass rush and slipping out of tackles. Happy to see that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What's crazy is the game was essentially a blow-out in the end, but think about what would have happened if UL had failed to convert even one of those 4 fourth-down conversions inside their own 40/30 (iirc?). They were hanging on by a thread and surviving by the thinnest of margins.

I will say this reflects well on PK, because he wasn't really worried about selling out on 4th down to get a stop and risking a breakdown and explosive play, he was confident in his bend but dont break. 

• Like 3

Reading RaginPagin's (ULL fan forum) pregame analysis of Texas's WRs for shits and giggles

They get back their #1 guy in Joshua Moore and he is a good one. Moore had 30 receptions for 472 yards and 9 TD’s last year, but they lose a few guys from last years team. Brennan Eagles who had 28 catches for 469 yards and 5 TD’s is gone as well as Jake Smith who transferred to USC during the off season who had 23 catches for 294 yards and 3 TDs and Tarik Black who had 10 catches for 240 yards (Their deep threat) and 1 TD are all gone. 

0 mention of Whittington... i guess him being injured last year worked in our favor lol

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:
Good point. WRs looked ready to play yesterday. We'll see if it continues but good 1st game from them.

I'm more impressed that I saw actual wr blocking for the first time in the last decade. Several big plays were completely made possible by solid wr blocking.

Yep - WR's looked ready and blocked their asses off.  I have to think that the Herman era 'hockey line changes' when we would swap out 3 WR's at a time certainly played a role in some of the confusion at the position.  Sark played our best players at WR and they made plays.

Re-watched the offense this morning (I understand offense conceptually more than I do defense) and feel about the same way I felt during the game.

- Card was just so impressive. I thought there were new-starter jitters on the opening drive where he missed open options on his two incompletions, but on his first pass of the next series he looks left and had nobody option, moved to his right while keeping his eyes down field and when he had nobody open there dumped it to Bijan for a nine yard gain. Those are the kinds of things that stand out for a young quarterback. He's got a good arm and is mobile, but the ability to show actual quarterbacking skills was impressive.

- Not talking talent, but skill set and what they bring to the table, did Sark have a player like Whittington at Alabama? He's going to be able to create mismatches with him all over the field. Whittington isn't going to beat anyone deep, but he's going to be a monster on short and intermediate routes and we know he has the pedigree to take the ball out of the backfield too. Total Swiss Army Knife type player.

- Bijan is good at football. Lining him out wide is going to be so unfair to defenders which rules.

- The deep passing game is a work in progress. We really need someone to step up in that regard.

- The offensive line is a bad run blocking unit. I thought they held up in pass pro ok, most of the plays UL made were good schemes but there were a couple of breakdowns. Overall they were fine pass blocking, but goddamn they could not generate a push at all until the fourth quarter. UL's d-line just stood their ground all day and really didn't allow much. There were some glaring poor technique and effort, particularly when guys were asked to pull. It's really the thing that could hinder any kind of quick turnaround we might have this year.

All in all I haven't been that unstressed during a game in forever. We completely controlled the game after UL went up 3-0 and the result was never in doubt. Overall performance to be proud of and if we're ready to play Saturday we'll kick woo pig pooeys ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Gerry Hamilton:

"doesn't seem like this Texas staff and Alfred Collins will end up being a marriage that's going to work as of today."

Wtf that would be a huge loss. Players seem to love Bo Davis so what's the problem?

Fwiw, he was still liking and RTing UT stuff last night (including JT's burnt ends tweet). Often a sign of discord when that goes away.

Also might be something similar to what Saban did with their TE Billingsley yesterday. He basically didn't play and the announcers were saying it was bc Saban wanted to send a message for him to get with the program. More of a teaching moment, not that the guy is leaving.

Edited by Tex-19

19 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Gerry Hamilton:

"doesn't seem like this Texas staff and Alfred Collins will end up being a marriage that's going to work as of today."

FWIW - this comment was at the end of a couple of paragraphs Gerry wrote as a response in a user-generated thread.  Seemed like a one-off comment Gerry threw in when talking about how the DL might play the rest of the year.  Doesn't have any context around it and Gerry didn't explain if it was a gut-feeling or sourced material.