2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

A ban bet? One minute we’re talking about why Roach may or may not go pro and the next you’re throwing down the gauntlet with a ban bet about making the tourney? At least you admit to not liking me now, even if accidentally.

And no dude, I’m not taking your stupid because I don’t care enough about any of this to bet on it. Post here if you want, don’t post, nobody cares. Texas will still be lagging behind where Barnes left off and you’ll still be white knighting Shaka somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

A ban bet? One minute we’re talking about why Roach may or may not go pro and the next you’re throwing down the gauntlet with a ban bet about making the tourney? At least you admit to not liking me now, even if accidentally.

And no dude, I’m not taking your stupid because I don’t care enough about any of this to bet on it. Post here if you want, don’t post, nobody cares. Texas will still be lagging behind where Barnes left off and you’ll still be white knighting Shaka somewhere.

Funny how the people always so certain of "Texas not making the tournament" aren't so certain when there's a ban bet involved. 

I'm not "white knighting" anything. I think we are a tournament team. You won't back up your prediction. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ah, the utgrad97 bet.

I remember that one. It was utgrad and RocketHorn, only utgrad let RH call it off when it was clear that it was going to be another disappointing season. It’s funny how simply “making the tournament” every year was enough to get the last guy hated and fired yet now it’s some pinnacle achievement that airbrushes away all flaws and disappointments. Let’s kust go full aggie and start hanging banners for every tourney appearance.

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I remember that one. It was utgrad and RocketHorn, only utgrad let RH call it off when it was clear that it was going to be another disappointing season. It’s funny how simply “making the tournament” every year was enough to get the last guy hated and fired yet now it’s some pinnacle achievement that airbrushes away all flaws and disappointments. Let’s kust go full aggie and start hanging banners for every tourney appearance.

I was actually talking about the Astros bet that utgrad97 lost, but yeah, that too.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Funny how the people always so certain of "Texas not making the tournament" aren't so certain when there's a ban bet involved. 

I must have missed the part where not taking your bet means I think that Texas is going to make the tourney next year, like that matters or is something worth betting over. College basketball loses a ton of premier talent and replaces it with inferior talent at the top. The Big XII should be way down next year, and Texas could conceivably again be a team that doesn’t finish in the top half of the league, doesn’t win 20 games, doesn’t resemble a complete team, and yet still makes the tourney. I don’t think we will make the tourney next year, but I don’t care enough to bet on it when I *know* that we have a lame coach with another underwhelming team on deck. We won’t be a good team next year, and that’s what I actually care about. Not “making the tourney”, like that’s some benchmark achievement at Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I must have missed the part where not taking your bet means I think that Texas is going to make the tourney next year, like that matters or is something worth betting over. College basketball loses a ton of premier talent and replaces it with inferior talent at the top. The Big XII should be way down next year, and Texas could conceivably again be a team that doesn’t finish in the top half of the league, doesn’t win 20 games, doesn’t resemble a complete team, and yet still makes the tourney. I don’t think we will make the tourney next year, but I don’t care enough to bet on it when I *know* that we have a lame coach with another underwhelming team on deck. We won’t be a good team next year, and that’s what I actually care about. Not “making the tourney”, like that’s still a bench mark at this school.

Changing your narrative a lot there. Already creating wiggle room in case we make the tournament. 

Again, if you're so confident about us not making the tournament take the bet. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I can’t find a reason for Kerwin Roach not to go pro. He’s put in a lot of time at Texas and he’s looking at returning to a roster that’s not equipped to even make the Dance; meanwhile Holland, Yancy, Felix, et al are being paid to be full-time basketball players in the G League; so why shouldn’t Roach leave as well? If I were his friend or family member I would definitely advise him to leave.
Next year's draft class looks to be utter garbage.
NBA scouts at the Mickie Ds practices didn't hide their disdain for how bad the class looks to be. Obviously an underwhelming freshmen class translates into a weak draft which opens up room for someone (ie Roach) to Buddy Heild their way into not only a 1st round pick, but making a lottery appearance.

Can’t link it here, but if you follow Jaxson Hayes on IG you can see him doing a windmill dunk from the FT line in what appears to be a HS All-Star game. Total. Freak. Athlete. If we have Roach,
Sims, and Hayes all in the team next season we might have the three biggest freak athletes in the conference.

92847efbdb3b9299995b5a7bd328b173.jpg

On 4/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, Goo Punch said:

-G League players make about $26k a year.

Thats about $26k more than he’s making now and he’ll be doing nothing but training to be an NBA player. 

-He also would have a chance to improve his draft stock pretty significantly next year if his shooting improves.  

His shooting will improve more as a full-time professional basketball than it will returning to Texas

-Texas is also probably a tournament team next year.

Unlikely. This will be Shaka’s third-best team at Texas.

Not too mention that Roach would look much better playing in the open floor that the NBA and D league provide as opposed to the limited offensive philosophy at Texas.

A lot of that ball screen read and react stuff is what he'll be expected to do in the NBA. I imagine that's why Shaka runs so much of it now. After watching old games of his at VCU and even his first year here he used run a lot more sets than he has the past 2 years. Even the early season stuff against Butler & Duke had a bit more continuity in the offense.

Justin Coleman is very much a point guard type. Really efficient in terms of assist to turnover ratio. 

This is also why I keep saying Long isn't going to be just a "backup PG". Pretty obvious they plan to play Long a lot at the 2. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, Guest Camel said:

Dear lord, we don't really need a 3rd point guard do we? I'm already worried about Coleman and Long crowding each other's games.

I've been telling people that Long is going to play a lot of minutes at the 2. The first thing Shaka referenced in relation to Long was "shot making ability". 

Long is more of a scorer than true PG. IMO Long was a replacement for Young. They were recruiting over Young. 

Guest Camel
40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I like Long more and more as time goes on, especially after looking at his stats against quality opposition, but I worry about the defensive limitations of a Coleman-Long backcourt.

Precisely. Playing a PG at the 2 who can shoot, pass, and handle is all good, but when you are talking about guys who are 6'0" or under, it's just too much of a liability to have 2 or more of those guys out on the floor, because on defense they can't shut down the other team enough and on offense they can get stifled if the other team keys on them and puts a defender that has 4 inches on 'em.

Guest Camel

I was a small PG when I played so I root for those guys, but it's fools gold to start an undersized backcourt tandem. Remember Augustin and Abrams? You can kick ass the entire year and then you get to a regional final or other late round in the dance and you run up against a team like Memphis starting a backcourt of 6'4" Derek Rose and 6'6" Chris Douglas-Roberts and you're just beaten.

Size/length at the 1 and 2 really hasn't been a huge issue for Texas IMO. The issue has been size/length at the 3. 

We've been playing Roach at the 3 the last 2 years because we didn't have a true SF/3 type on the roster. Pretty sure Shaka realized that was an issue which is why he signed 6-6 Liddell and 6'7 Cunningham.

A lot of teams go small at the 1/2. Our issue is we've been relatively small 1 through 3. If we add another grad transfer, I'm hoping it's a 3 with length. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Guest Camel
29 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Size/length at the 1 and 2 really hasn't been a huge issue for Texas IMO. The issue has been size/length at the 3.

I'll grant you that size across the board, at all positions, is important, but you only have to go back a few years to find Texas teams where size at the 1 and 2 were HUGE issues. Felix developed a nice offensive game over 4 years here but he was always challenged on defense at 5'11". Same with Augustin and Abrams. But the past doesn't really matter. The fact is size at the 1 and 2 helps immensely just like it does at every position.

4 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Nice to have you and it didn't even take us bashing your podcast skills to get you to reveal your identity. 

Since you're here, I've got a question for you.  Why does Shaka suck at coaching offense? I'll hang up and listen.

Nobody needs to bash my podcasting skills because I don't have any, I am a talking monkey with a mild drinking problem. I have been lurking here off and on for a long time, long enough to know to ignore Derka.

And Shaka sucks at offense because he doesn't run the touchdown play, obviously.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Nobody needs to bash my podcasting skills because I don't have any, I am a talking monkey with a mild drinking problem. I have been lurking here off and on for a long time, long enough to know to ignore Derka.

And Shaka sucks at offense because he doesn't run the touchdown play, obviously.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You don't ignore the Derka, the Derka ignores you.

A Derka-Bitterwhiteguy bout will be peak offseason and I could not be more excited for it.

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

A Derka-Bitterwhiteguy bout will be peak offseason and I could not be more excited for it.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of Derka-Camelback at this point. Need some fresh blood.

BWG is going to (wisely) avoid the Fire Shaka Smart thread, though, so it's up to Derka to come here and draw first blood.

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of Derka-Camelback at this point. Need some fresh blood.

BWG is going to (wisely) avoid the Fire Shaka Smart thread, though, so it's up to Derka to come here and draw first blood.

I've read it. It's mostly the same debate being had on BC, BON, IT, Reddit, Snapchat, Bangbus, and Friendster. I tweeted this for a reason:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Is this good or bad?

If the person who replaces him on our staff can contribute to marked improvement in player development/fundamentals and/or offensive game planning, and Morrell's new team, UNCA, has a good showing with him as the head coach, I think it will be considered "good" for all parties.

Morrell was one of Shaka's "guys" who has followed him here from VCU. He was in charge of the backcourt and the defense. I don't know enough to say whether he's a good coach or not (although I'm sure Derka Goo Punch will be along to inform us in great detail), but this is a great chance for Shaka to go out and get fresh blood to improve our offense.

I like Morrell and wish him well, but this doesn’t affect us. This is the guy who was deemed to be less indispensable than David Cason when it came time to hiring Jai Lucas. Losing Shaka Smart’s least-valued assistant wont hurt us. Replacing him with a legit offensive coach would help immensely.