• Jericho Sims
  • Jase Febres
  • Royce Hamm
  • Elijah Long
  • Gerald Liddell
  • Kemaka Hepa
  • Jaxson Hayes
  • Brock Cunningham

Edit: James Banks should be on here too, for now.

Edit 2: No more Banks

Edited by Machinator

Wish list for next year:

1) team runs an offense besides stand around for a long time then someone goes iso

2) febres and one other guy become legit lights out trey bomb threats

3) DO spends less time at the buffet and more time in the high post, block and short corner. I really like his inside game. Not so much the last half of the season when Shaka had him stand on the perimeter and jack up threes all night.

5 hours ago, Majorcholas said:

Wish list for next year:

1) team runs an offense besides stand around for a long time then someone goes iso

2) febres and one other guy become legit lights out trey bomb threats

3) DO spends less time at the buffet and more time in the high post, block and short corner. I really like his inside game. Not so much the last half of the season when Shaka had him stand on the perimeter and jack up threes all night.

You're gonna be super fucking disappointed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Exactly--that's why I asked Mach if I just missed his transfer announcement or something.

His man-on-man defense was serviceable. He got lost on switches, screens, rotations, etc., but who didn't? Definitely could've used more of him than we saw, imo.

Banks isn't very mobile defensively and really doesn't have much game offensively. As another poster said in this thread, I think Banks has pretty much been recruited over. 

Banks isn't getting minutes over Sims or Osetkowski next year. At best he will be splitting minutes with Hepa and Hayes who will likely steal his minutes later in the season. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Banks isn't very mobile defensively and really doesn't have much game offensively. As another poster said in this thread, I think Banks has pretty much been recruited over. 

Banks isn't getting minutes over Sims or Osetkowski next year. At best he will be splitting minutes with Hepa and Hayes who will likely steal his minutes later in the season. 

I would say we need him for depth but then I remember the Duke game where Shaka opted to have the then-eligible Eric Davis guard Marvin Bagley in OT. 

Unless Banks improves pretty significantly I don't know that he would be any better than the freshmen coming in.  In that case let the freshmen play to gain experience.  Banks should have played more this year though.  At the least he could have spelled Osetkowski some and allowed to Bamba to play on the perimeter where he seemed to want to be. 

I would like to take Carr. We need some PG depth, especially with Davis going. Coleman was good but he played too many minutes IMO. Then again, Shaka seems to love going 7 or 8 deep which is maddening so maybe Coleman wouldn’t get any more rest time even with Carr and the other transfer who’s name I forgot in the fold. 

Copying this across from the previous site. For people wanting an idea of what to expect from Elijah Long:

Soph. year games against quality competition ('16-'17):

#20 WV: 14 points, 0-2 threes, 4-4 FT, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
#20 Iowa State: 19 points, 2-3 threes, 7-8 FT, 7 rebounds, 4 assists
Minnesota: 11 points, 0-2 threes, 1-4 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
UT Arlington: 27 points, 3-3 threes, 4-4 FT, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
#25 Michigan: 13 points, 1-3 threes, 2-2 FT, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
Arkansas: 24 points, 2-4 threes, 10-10 FT, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
#1 Villanova: 10 points, 2-9 threes, 2-3 FT, 2 rebounds, 4 assists

That's 16.9 PPG, 38.5% beyond the arc, 85.7% from the line, 5.4 RPG, and 4.1 APG.

^And for people wondering if those numbers have a chance at translating at all, this is what I found looking at Osetkowski's stats during the two most recent seasons he played:

DO sophomore year, quality opponents only. "Quality opponents" are defined as P5 opponents as well as any other team that was in the KenPom top 100 that season.

10.9 PPG, 31.1 MPG, 43.9% overall shooting, 29.2% BTA, 72.6% FT shooting, 7.61 RPG, 2.44 turnovers per game, 1.11 APG

So it actually corresponded very well to his numbers at Texas this season (I was too lazy to strip out the cupcakes):

13.4 PPG, 35.2 MPG, 40.0% overall shooting, 28.8% BTA, 72.1% FT shooting, 7.2 RPG, 2.2 turnovers per game, 1.2 APG

Judging the roster by experience, Shaka's first class is a bit of a bust with Jacob Young transferring, James Banks on the bench, and Andrew Jones health issues. It means we're still a young team next year as well:

Dylan Osetkowski - RS Senior

Kerwin Roach -        True Senior

Elijah Long  -            RS Junior

James Banks -        True Junior

Matt Coleman -       True Soph

Jericho Sims -         True Soph

Jase Febres -           True Soph

Royce Hamm -         True Soph

Gerald Liddell - True Fresh

Kemaka Hepa - True Fresh

Jaxson Hayes - True Fresh

Brock Cunningham - True Fresh

Andrew Jones - ?

Eric Davis - ?

7 hours ago, Bort said:

Anyone know if Marcus Carr is any good? Also, do we really want to use a scholarship on a player who has to sit out a year when we seemingly already have too many players. 

Supposedly eligible immediately otherwise I would agree.  I would prefer he find a big man instead of a guard though.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Assuming he's doing it for the feedback, it's the right move.

Yep, you can do it once without penalty. Every Jr. kid on the bubble like Roach should declare.

On Banks, he and Sims are the only true C's on the roster and Hayes is in the same boat as them. Big athlete that has limited to no offensive skill set. How has he been recruited over?

Edited by Mike "Wags" Wagner

32 minutes ago, Mike "Wags" Wagner said:

Yep, you can do it once without penalty. Every Jr. kid on the bubble like Roach should declare.

On Banks, he and Sims are the only true C's on the roster and Hayes is in the same boat as them. Big athlete that has limited to no offensive skill set. How has he been recruited over?

Not sure he has been recruited over yet but i would say at this time Hayes has more upset.

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Honestly every potential prospect who hasnt declared ought to by their junior year.  Gives you a head start on how the combine works and also gives you feedback on what you need to work on going into your final year. It's a no lose situation.

Agree with you and Mach.

On the flipside, however, Roach's shortcomings are obvious; it shouldn't require league professionals to point them out.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

I think he will be a 3-and-D guy in the association, but he's obviously not there yet and I doubt an NBA team would burn a pick on him.

yeah i think there is definitely a spot for roach in the league (most likely as a 3 and D off guard), but he needs to keep improving that jump shot.  

i think he comes back and is an early - mid 2nd round pick next year.  

2 hours ago, Nick Diaz said:

Roach has the athleticism to be a decent player, he can easily do what Patrick Beverly does.

Don't get me wrong: Snoop's a serious athlete.  But I've seen nothing that leads me to believe he can easily be one of the best on-ball defenders in the NBA.

Judging the roster by experience, Shaka's first class is a bit of a bust with Jacob Young transferring, James Banks on the bench, and Andrew Jones health issues. It means we're still a young team next year as well:

I wouldn't necessarily say we will be a "young" team.  Starting a 5th year player, two 4 year players, and two sophomores is not bad at all - especially compared to what we have been used to.  Man, if Jones comes back at even 95% that will do so much for this team.

More importantly, I don't think we will be relying too much on the freshmen.  I will be surprised if any of them average more than 20 min a game next year.  Compare that to:

• 2017 - Coleman at 34 min, Bamba at 30 min, Sims at 19 min, and Febres at 16 min. 
  • 2016 - Allen at 32 min, Jones at 28 min, and Young at 16 min. 

Those are BIG minutes by freshmen - I don't care how talented they are.