2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

On 4/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, Katfid54 said:

Ironic (using the actual definition of irony) season recap from @Bitterwhiteguy posted on BC.  Here's the link.

Grades:

• Offense: B+

• Defense: B-

• Coaching: C+

What do a B+, B-, and C+ average to?

• Overall: C

Probably should rename the article to:  Texas Basketball 2018-19:  The Whole Is Less Than the Sum of Its Parts.

I just happened to stumble upon BWG's Big XII season preview from last fall, and here's the brass tacks of what he said: "Yeah, my last two predictions for Texas' seasons have been overly optimistic, but this year Texas goes 12-6 and finishes 2nd in the league to KU."

Ok. So let's get this straight @Bitterwhiteguy-every single year your honest preseason prediction ends up being overly optimistic, including this year- yet you not only refuse to ever take a step back and ask yourself if you have a problem with being objective, you go on to convince yourself that you were still sort of right by handing out a bunch of B's and C's to the team and staff after we went 16-16 (8-10), finished 6th in the league, and missed the tournament. Wow. And then you have the nerve to insult and belittle the people who actually are objective (see: right) about this team by claiming that they simply don't know what they are talking about, and/or outright announcing your intellectual superiority. That's some lame shit.

How many years in a row now has the B12 been the best league in the country? 5? 7? The majority of the last decade? Finishing second in this league usually makes you a top 10 team, top 15 at worst; going 12-6 in the league generally has you at or above 25 regular season wins. It generally has you as a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. Yet despite Texas performing so far below your own expectations- going .500 overall and sub- .500 in the conference- your takeaway is that we had a C+ season, with plenty of B's to go around to the coaching staff for the job they did. Wow. Even I can't comprehend those levels of self delusion. Either you and Wescott Eberts are the same person, or you're conjoined twins who share a brain. 

Edited by Goo Punch

37 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Why does his differing opinion bother you so much?

Because he's an asshole. Don't tell me that people who are combative and elitist yet somehow always wrong are suddenly protected from being called on their shit around here? I should know more than anyone that that's not how things work in shaggy/surly.

Besides, what I said is relevant, and he can feel free to answer me any time he wants- how does he reconcile giving the team/staff/season a B-C letter grade this year when he had such lofty preseason expectations for the team? If you're going to be a basketball writer and straight up claim that you know more than all of the "regular" UT fans because of this, then you should be able to explain yourself when the things that you write contradict each other. That's it.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as Shaka's tenure here goes, I think I could live to be 150 and never care less about a group of players than his players these last four years. Between how many of them were neglected and misused, to how many of them transferred out, to how many of them got kicked off the team or out of school, to how many of them never got over any of their bad habits, to how little improvement we saw from the majority of them, to all of the one-and-dones, to the never ending roster turnover, and of course the awful basketball and brutal seasons, i just don't care. There will never be a soft spot in my heart for the guys who've made up our teams these last four years.

The players who preceded them? Absolutely i'll remember and care about Ridley, Lammert, Holland, Isaiah, Felix, and so forth. Those guys never won anything of import either, aside from a tourney game or two, but they all dedicated 3-4 years to the program and were all mainstays in the team/lineup during a period of time where the program actually had an identity and a direction that it wanted to go. The last four years have been such a scrambled mess featuring a never ending revolving door of coaches and players that i'm just beaten down by even thinking about them. I could not be more ready to move on from this era. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

As far as Shaka's tenure here goes, I think I could live to be 150 and never care less about a group of players than his players these last four years. Between how many of them were neglected and misused, to how many of them transferred out, to how many of them got kicked off the team or out of school, to how many of them never got over any of their bad habits, to how little improvement we saw from the majority of them, to all of the one-and-dones, to the never ending roster turnover, and of course the awful basketball and brutal seasons, i just don't care. There will never be a soft spot in my heart for the guys who've made up our teams these last four years.

The players who preceded them? Absolutely i'll remember and care about Ridley, Lammert, Holland, Isaiah, Felix, and so forth. Those guys never won anything of import either, aside from a tourney game or two, but they all dedicated 3-4 years to the program and were all mainstays in the team/lineup during a period of time where the program actually had an identity and a direction that it wanted to go. The last four years have been such a scrambled mess featuring a never ending revolving door of coaches and players that i'm just beaten down by even thinking about them. I could not be more ready to move on from this era. 

This is kind of a bitch post right after one congratulating the seniors for graduating.  You should aslso include the last 5 or so years of the Barnes era to this rant though.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, txhorns said:

This is kind of a bitch post right after one congratulating the seniors for graduating.  You should aslso include the last 5 or so years of the Barnes era to this rant though.

first off, everyone on this site needs to learn what a rant is. that was not anything resembling a rant. second, i don't know how you missed this, but I *did* include the last of Barnes' players in that post, and in fact pointed out how much easier it was to be invested in them seeing as they all, you know, had defined roles within the team, improved as players year over year, actually stayed in the program, weren't constantly transferring out or getting suspended, and oh yeah averaged 21.6 wins per year while they were at it. I did mention them and all of the differences between them and Shaka's group. 

The only bitch post is you getting all pissy at me for saying that i just can't get invested in Shaka's players because of his "revolving door/total lack of  improvement" MO, especially when countless posts about this team over his tenure here have been *crushing* him and his players, and rightfully so. where was your indignation then? my post ranks about 1,364,284 on the most offensive/insulting/incendiary posts made about this team over the last 3-4 years. i didn't even make so much as a single personal attack towards a single player, so save your righteous indignation for any of the literally thousands of posts in this forum which have said worse than "i can't get invested in these guys."

Edited by Goo Punch

i mean shit, how many dozens of posters came here this season just to say things like:

"we had a game today? didn't even know."

"yeah i knew we had a game but i chose to mow the lawn instead."

"i don't even keep up with our schedule anymore. i have no idea when we play, and i just don't care to watch."

and so on, and so on, and so on. if you weren't bitching at all of them then, don't start bitching at me now.

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i mean shit, how many dozens of posters came here this season just to say things like:

"we had a game today? didn't even know."

"yeah i knew we had a game but i chose to mow the lawn instead."

"i don't even keep up with our schedule anymore. i have no idea when we play, and i just don't care to watch."

and so on, and so on, and so on. if you weren't bitching at all of them then, don't start bitching at me now.

You came on here to talk shit about players on their graduation day.  The other stuff was all justified.  Bashing players for being forgettable on their day of graduation is a bitch move.  Especially when all the transfers, and players leaving were no more than other programs or what the norm is.  It's not like 6 players transferred out in one offseason under Shaka.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

everything you've just said is wrong, from the fact that i did not talk shit about our players to the fact that shaka's program has absolutely had an exorbitant amount of roster turnover. the only one here acting like a bitch is you, and it's such a strangely selective time do so considering all of the other negative, hateful shit that's actually been said about our players this year. 

Players who lasted less than 3 years under Shaka over the last 4 years

Tevin Mack

Jacob Young

Elijah Mitrou-Long

James Banks

Mo Bamba

Jaxon Hayes

Jarrett Allen

Jordan Barnett

Players who lasted less than 3 years in Barnes last 4 years

Myck Kabongo

Julien Lewis

Sterling Gibbs

Jaylen Bond

Sheldon McClellan

Myles Turner

Ioannis Papaptrou

Martez Walker

Demarcus Coaker

• Like 1

and hey, since you're taking such umbrage with my contention that Shaka's tenure to this point isn't one that gets me excited (oh the horror!), why don't you go ahead and try and tell me that 20 years from now you'll be looking back and happily reminiscing on the tenures of Kerwin Roach, Dylan Osetkowski, Tevin Mack, Eli Long, James Banks, Jacob Young, Royce Hamm, Jericho Sims, Jordan Barnett, Jarrett Allen, and so on and so forth. I mean my god, of all the things to throw a fit about, a lifelong dedicated fan saying that the last four years have beaten him down isn't one of them. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

and hey, since you're taking such umbrage with my contention that Shaka's tenure to this point isn't one that gets me excited (oh the horror!), why don't you go ahead and try and tell me that 20 years from now you'll be looking back and happily reminiscing on the tenures of Kerwin Roach, Dylan Osetkowski, Tevin Mack, Eli Long, James Banks, Jacob Young, Royce Hamm, Jericho Sims, Jordan Barnett, Jarrett Allen, and so on and so forth. I mean my god, of all the things to throw a fit about, a lifelong dedicated fan saying that the last four years have beaten him down isn't one of them. 

You are such a dumbass.  I will not remember these players or this era fondly.  My issue is that you chose the night that 3 of those players graduated to bring all of this shit up.  Talk about weird timing.  Why not congratulate those guys for working hard and getting their degrees?

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Players who lasted less than 3 years under Shaka over the last 4 years

Tevin Mack

Jacob Young

Elijah Mitrou-Long

James Banks

Mo Bamba

Jaxon Hayes

Jarrett Allen

Jordan Barnett

Players who lasted less than 3 years in Barnes last 4 years

Myck Kabongo

Julien Lewis

Sterling Gibbs

Jaylen Bond

Sheldon McClellan

Myles Turner

Ioannis Papaptrou

Martez Walker

Demarcus Coaker

oh good, it's catdaddy time, where we completely ignore the obvious main point (hard to feel any sense of pride or whimsy or attachment when thinking about the Shaka era) and instead we take some minor side point and hammer it into the ground with nondescript, half assed counter arguments. let's play!

So first off, not only did Barnes win a lot more with those guys (a key contention within the argument which you are conveniently ignoring), he still got fired in the end largely due to the effects of that roster turnover. So good point.

second, and more importantly, there's a clear difference in having one giant specific group of guys all decide to transfer out at one time, and having season after season after season where your roster is a revolving door of transfers, guys who should get PT but inexplicably don't (aka future transfers), and multiple guys who can't stop getting suspended. 

the two situations are not analogous, and posting that list of players with zero context is uninformed at best, and blatantly disingenuous at worst. From guys like Hamm, Barnett, and Banks who inexplicably didn't get playing time and transferred out only to produce at another school (Hamm is a rumor at this point but seems likely), to guys like Mack, Roach, and Young incessantly getting suspended (usually multiple times), to, AGAIN, the fact that we have been awful during this period, Shaka's revolving door of would-be starters/contributors does not resemble Barnes' final years, where the starting lineups and key role players stayed the same year upon year. If you want to address *any* of this with honesty then be my guest.

actually don't, because as i've said this is all tangential, and at the heart of it all you don't even disagree with me anyway, unless you somehow do anticipate looking back on this era fondly.

Edited by Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, txhorns said:

You are such a dumbass.  I will not remember these players or this era fondly.  My issue is that you chose the night that 3 of those players graduated to bring all of this shit up.  Talk about weird timing.  Why not congratulate those guys for working hard and getting their degrees?

because i'm not greggym. and seriously, you calling anyone a dumbass while claiming to being confused by the timing of my post is hilarious. i didn't "choose tonight" to randomly "shit on" our players, i responded to a post which was posted tonight. what the hell is confusing about that.

also, you need to go back and reread the post which has you so up in arms about me "trashing the players", because again, that post is clearly about Shaka and his ineptitude, and not about the individual players themselves. i mean sure, when i saw the photo i looked at kerwin, do, and eli long and felt relieved that i no longer have to watch any of them play for Texas anymore (due to the overwhelming amount of frustration brought on by watching a Shaka Smart team), but i didn't say anything about any single one of those guys, other than simply stating that it's hard for me to feel super attached to anyone who's played under Shaka Smart, for the reasons listed.

In conclusion- It's all about Smart, not his individual players. Go read it five times in a row if you need to. the post was never about dissing the players, it was about how hard it is to actually get attached to Shaka's players when so many of them leave for various reasons, and the ones who do stay don't really get that much better or win many games because of his shitty coaching. I can't state it any more clearly than that. If you insist on continuing this argument me supposedly trashing the players then it's just because you want to at this point. 

Edited by Goo Punch

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

first off, everyone on this site needs to learn what a rant is. that was not anything resembling a rant. second, i don't know how you missed this, but I *did* include the last of Barnes' players in that post, and in fact pointed out how much easier it was to be invested in them seeing as they all, you know, had defined roles within the team, improved as players year over year, actually stayed in the program, weren't constantly transferring out or getting suspended, and oh yeah averaged 21.6 wins per year while they were at it. I did mention them and all of the differences between them and Shaka's group. 

The only bitch post is you getting all pissy at me for saying that i just can't get invested in Shaka's players because of his "revolving door/total lack of  improvement" MO, especially when countless posts about this team over his tenure here have been *crushing* him and his players, and rightfully so. where was your indignation then? my post ranks about 1,364,284 on the most offensive/insulting/incendiary posts made about this team over the last 3-4 years. i didn't even make so much as a single personal attack towards a single player, so save your righteous indignation for any of the literally thousands of posts in this forum which have said worse than "i can't get invested in these guys."

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

everything you've just said is wrong, from the fact that i did not talk shit about our players to the fact that shaka's program has absolutely had an exorbitant amount of roster turnover. the only one here acting like a bitch is you, and it's such a strangely selective time do so considering all of the other negative, hateful shit that's actually been said about our players this year. 

Despite being mentioned in 3 successive post, the bolded parts were of no import and were ultimately inconsequential to his main point. 

GP,  just congratulate Snoop, DO, and Eli for graduating from The University of Texas --  No need to trash them right after a tweet celebrating their academic successes!!  🤘

giphy.gif

guys- that's my entire point. normally when you see a tweet like that you feel compelled to congratulate the kids, and yet all i felt when i saw that tweet was, "ugh." Roach and DO, the two of the three guys who were here for more than a year, are two of the most frustrating players Texas has had in recent memory, and were both starters/30+ mpg guys on some of the worst and/or most disappointing teams in school history. They could have been real players had they simply had real coaching. Then you have Eli, who was here for one season, was also frustrating to watch, fell out of favor, ended up riding the pine, and then transferred out half a second after he got here. Excuse for for not rejoicing when reflecting upon these guys' time here. 

This wasn't like looking looking at a class of seniors where you remember them all signing and arriving to campus together, growing together, improving together, building towards an ultimate common goal together, and then graduating together- its a photo that is emblematic of Shaka's time at Texas, one that only evokes feelings of frustration. Roach is literally the only guy remaining from his signing class; DO is a transfer who somehow seemed to legitimately get worse and worse and worse throughout his career until his last handful of games; and then Eli is a guy who went from "promising transfer guard who should be a good shooter for the next two years" to "a guy who doesn't get any PT and is immediately transferring out" in a matter of months. There ain't no way in hell Im the only one who's frustrated by all of that, not should I be. You cannot begrudge someone who loves Texas hoops for looking at that photo and being frustrated.

74aba6817f708705665062d492a1db57.jpg

nobody is going to look back at either photo and remember the graduates for their on-court greatness or historic achievements, but i and every other Texas basketball fan will look back at one of these photos more fondly or with more attachment to the players than the other.

this type of graduation class has never existed under Shaka, and not just because he's only been here for four years, but because his poor coaching and roster management ineptitude have made it impossible for any one group of recruits to stay together at Texas for more than a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

74aba6817f708705665062d492a1db57.jpg

nobody is going to look back at either photo and remember the graduates for their on-court greatness or historic achievements, but i and every other Texas basketball fan will look back at one of these photos more fondly or with more attachment to the players than the other. this type of graduation class has never existed under Shaka, and not just because he's only been here for four years, but because his poor coaching and roster management ineptitude have made it impossible for any one group of recruits to stay together at Texas for more than a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And probably most importantly because he's never taken 6 players in a single recruiting class. 

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Sans the 2 first round picks they will all be Juniors and Sophomores for the upcoming season. 

assuming Hamm stays, which I hope he does. I'd want to look elsewhere if I were him too, but we saw what Banks did at GT, and IMO Hamm is at least his equal. We could certainly use Hamm's services over the next two years. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

I agree. Hamm is the embodiment of the type of grit, toughness, and all out aggression that Shaka's teams lack. All of the late game losses have a lot to do with not being able to secure a needed defensive or offensive rebound in the waning seconds of the game. And Shaka's reluctance to play guys like Hamm or Banks are a big contributing factor to his record here, especially over the last 2 years. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

I'd be surprised if Hamm transferred this summer. Now I could maybe see it happening next spring, but it's a little late in the game to try to transfer now for the upcoming season. Scholarships are a finite resource and they typically, unless you're a big-time freshman or transfer recruit, have all been allocated by this time of the year. For instance, by mid April of last year Jacob Young had already announced his transfer. We're only a week away from June and summer workouts. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

because i'm not greggym. and seriously, you calling anyone a dumbass while claiming to being confused by the timing of my post is hilarious. i didn't "choose tonight" to randomly "shit on" our players, i responded to a post which was posted tonight. what the hell is confusing about that.

also, you need to go back and reread the post which has you so up in arms about me "trashing the players", because again, that post is clearly about Shaka and his ineptitude, and not about the individual players themselves. i mean sure, when i saw the photo i looked at kerwin, do, and eli long and felt relieved that i no longer have to watch any of them play for Texas anymore (due to the overwhelming amount of frustration brought on by watching a Shaka Smart team), but i didn't say anything about any single one of those guys, other than simply stating that it's hard for me to feel super attached to anyone who's played under Shaka Smart, for the reasons listed.

In conclusion- It's all about Smart, not his individual players. Go read it five times in a row if you need to. the post was never about dissing the players, it was about how hard it is to actually get attached to Shaka's players when so many of them leave for various reasons, and the ones who do stay don't really get that much better or win many games because of his shitty coaching. I can't state it any more clearly than that. If you insist on continuing this argument me supposedly trashing the players then it's just because you want to at this point. 

You're  right. You're not me. You were never a student at UT and you're jealous because these young men were scholarship athletes who graduated from UT and that's 2 things you were never able to accomplish. And no one cares whether you remember these young men or not. You mean absolutely nothing to the program.

yeah, *normally* when parents show you a photo of a newborn you react that way. but when the parents who are showing you the picture of their newborn happen to be in their early 30's, neither of them even having so much as their GED, both of whom are on SSI/welfare, they already have nine kids, the oldest of whom are career criminals and the youngest of whom are morbidly obese toddlers who are already chemically dependent on Pepsi, when THAT family shows me a photo of yet another one of their kids, I'm gonna go ahead and respond with, "ugh". you guys feel free to throw them a party and pat yourselves on the back for doing so. 

you know we can keep this conversation going until the cows come home, and you guys can continue to espouse your own self righteous indignation towards me, but i'm far from the only one who has trouble getting invested in or attached to Shaka's players, and the sudden outpouring of indignation towards that thought isn't going to change that fact. An entire season of people *crushing* DO and Roach? Doesn't move the needle for any of you. Saying it's hard to feel attached to any of Shaka's guys after the season ends? DERKA HOW DARE YOU. please.

Edited by Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, *normally* when parents show you a photo of a newborn you react that way. but when the parents who are showing you the picture of their newborn happen to be in their early 30's, neither of them even having so much as their GED, both of whom are on SSI/welfare, they already have nine kids, the oldest of whom are career criminals and the youngest of whom are morbidly obese toddlers who are already chemically dependent on Pepsi, when THAT family shows me a photo of yet another one of their kids, I'm gonna go ahead and respond with, "ugh". you guys feel free to throw them a party and pat yourselves on the back for doing so. 

you know we can keep this conversation going until the cows come home, and you guys can continue to espouse your own self righteous indignation towards me, but i'm far from the only one who has trouble getting invested in or attached to Shaka's players, and the sudden outpouring of indignation towards that thought isn't going to change that fact. An entire season of people *crushing* DO and Roach? Doesn't move the needle for any of you. Saying it's hard to feel attached to any of Shaka's guys after the season ends? DERKA HOW DARE YOU. please.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

well it takes more than two to tango...or something like that. and here's the bottom line: none of you, ever, at any moment throughout the rest of your life, will look back on these teams/players fondly. That's a fact. Stone cold, 100% fact. "Man, I sure do miss the days when Eli Long and Dylan Osetkwoski we're out there running the show! Remember when that team they were on almost broke .500?!"

You guys see me post something, you walk outside, you put your left foot in the stirrup and set right up on top of that high horse. you pull out your phone or tablet, you admonish me for saying aloud what your already think and feel in your heart, then you hop back down off your high horse and say, "I mean I totally agree with him, but he didn't have to say it out loud." 

giphy.gif

also, i am rooting so hard for AJ1. Nobody deserves success more than him. If he can somehow get back to his best I will absolutely have fond memories and attachment to that kid from the Shaka Smart era. I mean I will feel that way about him no matter what, I'm just saying that it would be especially satisfying and rewarding to see him get back to his best, regardless of who all he graduates with. 

Edited by Goo Punch

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

well it takes more than two to tango...or something like that. and here's the bottom line: none of you, ever, at any moment throughout the rest of your life, will look back on these teams/players fondly. That's a fact. Stone cold, 100% fact. "Man, I sure do miss the days when Eli Long and Dylan Osetkwoski we're out there running the show! Remember when that team they were on almost broke .500?!"

You guys see me post something, you walk outside, you put your left foot in the stirrup and set right up on top of that high horse. you pull out your phone or tablet, you admonish me for saying aloud what your already think and feel in your heart, then you hop back down off your high horse and say, "I mean I totally agree with him, but he didn't have to say it out loud." 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

NOPE...