2021 Texas TV Broadcast Announcers

Tex Pete

I figured I’d start a thread about the TV broadcast teams that cover our games. We always discuss it in the game threads, but it’s hard to find when you’re trying to remember something later. I like to think back through a season and remember the good and bad  

This thread can be a catch-all for all the bitching, moaning, or...imagine a world with...praise for a good TV broadcast. 

Yesterday we had Brando and Spencer Tillman. Maybe Texas fans’ most hated broadcast team working our game. Last year especially, Brando said some idiotic shit and tweeted some things that really pissed Texas fans off. I did not have high hopes for them calling the game.

Honestly, I thought they weren’t terrible. Brando just generally rubs me the wrong way, but he wasn’t too bad. It appeared to me that they had talked about it and made an effort not to be obnoxiously anti-Texas and not to say anything so ridiculous as to draw our ire. Brando was as cheesy as ever, but that won’t change. 

Spencer Tillman normally doesn’t bother me too much, which surprises me because he is a Sooner. He seems to do his homework most of the time, and I thought he was fine yesterday. 

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, fellside said:

Brando had no idea what was going on half the time, regardless of bias.

There were so many instances where the announcers said something and Brando just completely missed it.

Yeah, he was completely lost. 

I thought Tillman’s quips were funny. Brando and Tillman were much better yesterday than last year, IMO. 

Edited by Tex Pete

All I could hear was Brando trying to talk up anything against Texas.   How great the Louisiana QB was, the fact that it HAD to be a fumble on the reviewed Card incomplete pass, and on and on.  Once he became resigned to the fact that it wasn’t going to be a Texas meltdown, he lost steam.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And he was effusive in his praise for Sarkisian. That was noticeable, and probably influenced what I thought of the overall broadcast. I do admit that when their mics weren’t working at the beginning of the game, I was hoping they wouldn’t get fixed. 

A loooooot of talking heads yesterday were talking up Sark. It was interesting since they never really seemed to respect (rightfully) Tom Herman. 

I thought Spencer Tillman was very good. He did a much better job of identifying defensive formations and what the offense will do to attack the scheme being employed than other color announcers I watch. He gushed about the Texas staff, particularly Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Banks. I didn't hear any of the kind of anti-Texas Sooner bias I expect, and his pro SEC slants were at least in part driven by the fact he was employed at CBS sports for 17 years while the SEC was their primary college football product. 

I mean, Joel Klatt is my favorite on Fox, but I didn't have any issues with how Tillman performed his duties during the Louisiana game.

Oh, and Fuck Tim Brando.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, fellside said:

Brando had no idea what was going on half the time, regardless of bias.

There were so many instances where the announcers said something and Brando just completely missed it.

This right here.  They both seemed more concerned about saying something "clever", rather than actually calling the game.

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

"WOW! WOW. They called Washington instead. I didn't see that coming. Yeah, I thought he got back and there was movement after that."

image.thumb.png.f04a16d1b9b58c91ab01b616cbd1bbf4.png

Watching live, I actually thought Jones might have moved before the blitzer crossed the LOS but I didn't care enough to rewind it.

37 minutes ago, fellside said:

I honestly am not trying to be a dick, just that I don’t understand this, since Brando was the primary announcer. Was there a sideline guy/gal? I literally had the sound off, so I’m not sure. I’ll shoot you pos rep.

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I honestly am not trying to be a dick, just that I don’t understand this, since Brando was the primary announcer. Was there a sideline guy/gal? I literally had the sound off, so I’m not sure. I’ll shoot you pos rep.

I meant to say "where the referees said something..." but I misspoke.

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm not through watching the replay, but yeah, Brando is way toned down.  Instead of sounding dumb and biased he just sounds dumb.

"Halftime at Darryl K. Memorial Stadium..."

He said that 3 times.  

He was a total moron yesterday but that’s a huge step up from last year when he actually rooted for the other team out loud. Yesterday he was just biased. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

🤮if true.  Can’t stand either of them.  I too felt like Brando had been told to tone it down, at least in the first half.  First 2-3 plays were glorious as they had audio issues and no commentary. 

I am NOT here for any joe Tess slander, back off man.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

If you’ve watched any of the FSU/ND game tonight and are looking forward to Saturday, you need to find Jesus…..

I've finally realized why I don't like him and why he didn't work on MNF.  The dude acts like he's a play by play, color analyst, and talking pundit all in one.  He never shuts up and dominates whoever he's working with.  And he offers opinions more than any color guy in the business.

12 minutes ago, fellside said:

I've finally realized why I don't like him and why he didn't work on MNF.  The dude acts like he's a play by play, color analyst, and talking pundit all in one.  He never shuts up and dominates whoever he's working with.  And he offers opinions more than any color guy in the business.

Throw in his Tom Rinaldi’ish feel good stories too

2 hours ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

If you’ve watched any of the FSU/ND game tonight and are looking forward to Saturday, you need to find Jesus…..

Tessitore is over-the-top and goofy.  Makes him perfect for Holey Moley.

But at least he's not incompetent and he doesn't have an axe to grind against Texas, so he's tolerable.

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Spencer Tillman seemed really interested in sounding smart, dropping an Art of War and other classic literature references. While calling a fucking football game. 

But I think he is actually smart. I don’t have a problem with it. Brando did sound dumb, to be sure.

Then again, I despise almost all the broadcast teams. I think they all talk too much. I actually liked Dave Lapham and his jackhammer feet because he brought a lot of energy to the games he called. He said plenty of dumb stuff, but he seemed fairly knowledgeable, and he never came across as rooting for one team or the other. 

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

"The old guy"?  

Please tell me you're kidding.

Keith Jackson was completely out of his mind by the early 2000s. He was just plain bad. He sounded good being bad, but he was bad nonetheless.

He was the GOAT for sure. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2