Shit going down in Guinea

Parliament

Some kinda coup.  Where is Guinea?  The Caribbean? 

The fate of Guinea's President Alpha Condé is unclear after an unverified video showed him surrounded by soldiers, who said they had seized power.

They appeared on national TV claiming to have dissolved the government.

However, the defence ministry said the attempted takeover had been thwarted by the presidential guard.

This follows hours of heavy gunfire near the presidential palace in the capital, Conakry.

UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres and the African Union have condemned the apparent coup and demanded the immediate release of President Condé.

The West African country of Guinea is rich in natural resources but years of unrest and mismanagement mean it is one of the world's poorest countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58453778

ETA

They're in Africa.  Did not know that. 

45 minutes ago, Parliament said:

The West African country of Guinea Pretty much every country in Africa is rich in natural resources but years of unrest and mismanagement mean it is one of the world's poorest countries.

Fixed.  A coup in Africa/unstable, corrupt government = sun rising.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Some kinda coup.  Where is Guinea?  The Caribbean? 

The fate of Guinea's President Alpha Condé is unclear after an unverified video showed him surrounded by soldiers, who said they had seized power.

They appeared on national TV claiming to have dissolved the government.

However, the defence ministry said the attempted takeover had been thwarted by the presidential guard.

This follows hours of heavy gunfire near the presidential palace in the capital, Conakry.

UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres and the African Union have condemned the apparent coup and demanded the immediate release of President Condé.

The West African country of Guinea is rich in natural resources but years of unrest and mismanagement mean it is one of the world's poorest countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58453778

ETA

They're in Africa.  Did not know that. 

theres papa guinea near indonesia

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

theres papa guinea near indonesia

Papua New Guinea, which shares the same island, New Guinea, with Western New Guinea, which is part of Indonesia.  Papua New Guinea is the southeast part of the island, near Australia.  Was Australian, then Commonwealth, now independent nation.  Strategic possession in WWII:  Port Moresby, Bougainville, etc.

OP is thinking of Guyana.

• Hook 'Em 3

Sub-Saharan Africa was primitive in comparison to its colonizing countries in the 19th century. Instead of being killed off like the Native Americans, many were enslaved. Sold to the west in the Americas and the East in Asia. It took Europeans a couple thousand years to advance from savage nomads to civilized bastions of Democracy. Africa is trying to catch up on a couple thousand years. It will take more time. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Papua New Guinea, which shares the same island, New Guinea, with Western New Guinea, which is part of Indonesia.  Papua New Guinea is the southeast part of the island, near Australia.  Was Australian, then Commonwealth, now independent nation.  Strategic possession in WWII:  Port Moresby, Bougainville, etc.

OP is thinking of Guyana.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Sub-Saharan Africa was primitive in comparison to its colonizing countries in the 19th century. Instead of being killed off like the Native Americans, many were enslaved. Sold to the west in the Americas and the East in Asia. It took Europeans a couple thousand years to advance from savage nomads to civilized bastions of Democracy. Africa is trying to catch up on a couple thousand years. It will take more time. 

Technology for sure. And it was fragmented by lots of internal components. But I just wonder what if the Malian Empire had remained. If the Brits had not crushed the Sokoto Jihad in West Africa. 

One fear going on within the Africa watchers I talk to is the massive potential for tribal fragmentation we are seeing in certain areas to become the defacto split in nations. Tigray's rebellion which is causing a massive humanitarian disaster and threatens to break up Ethiopia, certain tribes straight out joining insurgencies (and extremist islamic groups), the shit show in Mozambique last year, is going to spread. A few months ago the President of Nigeria gave a twitter smack down to separatists in Biafra. For the non-history buffs that was a horrible event. 

Maybe it is time Africa redraw its maps. The impact of the Congress of Berlin cannot be overlooked. 

I loved my classes with Toyin Falola. Used to go to his office hours and sip a scotch with him and just listen. Dude knew West Africa. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Why do we assume that what was developed in the west is civilized and anything different is "primative" or "savage"? That is the life they wanted to live before colonizers took over, enslaved them, wiped some out, then left them with a new form of government that they didn't invent. If they had been left alone, they would at least be living in a society they designed for themselves. If you try to force something on others through force, is it any wonder that chaos and difficulties ensue?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why do we assume that what was developed in the west is civilized and anything different is "primative" or "savage"? That is the life they wanted to live before colonizers took over, enslaved them, wiped some out, then left them with a new form of government that they didn't invent. If they had been left alone, they would at least be living in a society they designed for themselves. If you try to force something on others through force, is it any wonder that chaos and difficulties ensue?

So you’re pro female genital mutilation?

I understand Western bias, but some shit is truly just savage.

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You’re not wrong, but it’s a bit idealistic. There are so many different variables, that’s it’s impossible to know how society would have developed, and you’re also assuming there would never be intrusion from the outside parties as if Africa could remain untouched like some remote island societies in the pacific. As for the primitive/savage v civilized language, it is merely a reference to how society handles conflict resolution in laws.  I can see how it might seem derogatory, but I would argue that dealing with theft with a trial and monetary penalties is better for everyone than bloodshed, which was often the case before common law or even royal edict was established. 

Guinea's new boss, Colonel Mamady Doumbouya.

_120409038_hi070321505.jpg

Ex-French Foreign Legion and graduate of special forces schools in Israel, Senegal, Gabon & France.

IN my opinion these coups come about when the current prez tries to take independence from the former colonizer a little too seriously, as in, he starts messing with the money. In Guinea's case that would be France.

There is a Spanish Guinea too -- I think that's Equatorial Guinea, Spain's only former African colony. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Europeans present or not, many societies were going to take others to the woodshed, wipe them out and / or enslave them.   The Comanche were experts at this.   They had no angst over this.  It was just Wednesday for them. 

I am in no way intimating it’s right.  Humans long for power over others and preserving their own power. 

Who knows?  The world does not have The Prime Directive like they did in Star Trek.  That is fiction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ex-French Foreign Legion and graduate of special forces schools in Israel, Senegal, Gabon & France.

IN my opinion these coups come about when the current prez tries to take independence from the former colonizer a little too seriously, as in, he starts messing with the money. In Guinea's case that would be France.

There is a Spanish Guinea too -- I think that's Equatorial Guinea, Spain's only former African colony. 

Damn I thought The Professor killed Nkwanna Wombosi

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Well the real money is from Russia and via the export of Bauxite. Talking to some African Union friends and they openly wonder about this being a corporate coup vs. external nation backed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Technology for sure. And it was fragmented by lots of internal components. But I just wonder what if the Malian Empire had remained. If the Brits had not crushed the Sokoto Jihad in West Africa. 

One fear going on within the Africa watchers I talk to is the massive potential for tribal fragmentation we are seeing in certain areas to become the defacto split in nations. Tigray's rebellion which is causing a massive humanitarian disaster and threatens to break up Ethiopia, certain tribes straight out joining insurgencies (and extremist islamic groups), the shit show in Mozambique last year, is going to spread. A few months ago the President of Nigeria gave a twitter smack down to separatists in Biafra. For the non-history buffs that was a horrible event. 

Maybe it is time Africa redraw its maps. The impact of the Congress of Berlin cannot be overlooked. 

I loved my classes with Toyin Falola. Used to go to his office hours and sip a scotch with him and just listen. Dude knew West Africa. 

Some of this is a hangover from European colonization. I think the Belgian colonizers, for example, played the Hutus and Tutsis off each other in Rwanda in order to keep them weak. The two tribes formerly didn't have much beef and it could be argued that they weren't really separate ethnic groups at all.

I can't imagine a tiny country like Rwanda splitting apart into its constituent ethnic enclaves. In any case, Rwanda has really turned things around in the last 25 years, for the better.

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

African warlord fashion is fabulous. 

1AA118F5-73D6-4D78-9AB7-2784EFE8B071.jpeg

Bokasa was a wild fucker. His coronation cost more than annual budget of the country. Fucker took crazy number of wives, including a vietnamese lady …of all people…and i remmeber reading one half black vietnamese kid duped people into thinking she was his kid, and he mightve had her killed or something

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

Some of this is a hangover from European colonization. I think the Belgian colonizers, for example, played the Hutus and Tutsis off each other in Rwanda in order to keep them weak. The two tribes formerly didn't have much beef and it could be argued that they weren't really separate ethnic groups at all.

I can't imagine a tiny country like Rwanda splitting apart into its constituent ethnic enclaves. In any case, Rwanda has really turned things around in the last 25 years, for the better.

Absolutely. A great book about the movements in Africa is The Race to Fashoda. Tells you what really mattered to the Europeans. This is why I brought up the Congress of Berlin. Something else to consider is how different the Europeans were in how they colonized. 

We work with a group active in Rwanda. The person I am scheduled to talk to tomorrow was the first American military officer to go into Kigali during the genocide. Man, his stories are rough. He is back there working with their  Peacekeepers and running a pretty tight training operation. He has nothing but praise for them. 

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Vlad says “why not both?”

we will see. he already has control on the bauxite so don't think him. This is a counter Vlad move. 

Just saw this on CNN. I am going to blame the damn Aussies. 

• London (CNN Business)Aluminum prices have reached their highest level in more than a decade following a coup in Guinea, a major supplier of the main ore used to produce the metal.
  • The price of aluminum futures on the London Metal Exchange rose as much as 1.8% to $2,775.50 per metric ton on Monday after political turmoil broke out in the West African country over the weekend, when a military officer broadcast a statement that the nation's constitution had been dissolved. An adviser to President Alpha Conde told CNN that Conde was under arrest and that a coup had taken place.
  • Aluminum prices had already been skyrocketing this year. A jump in demand for the metal has coincided with production cuts in China, which is looking to curb carbon emissions from heavy industry and has been dealing with power shortages.
  • Higher prices could reverberate across the global economy at a time when policymakers are worried about inflation. Aluminum is a key component of a wide range of products, from cars to smartphones and energy systems.
  • Unrest in Guinea puts additional pressure on the market.
  • The country is the second largest producer of bauxite in the world after Australia. Most importantly, it supplies more than half of the ore imported by China, which is the top producer of aluminum globally.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/06/investing/aluminum-prices-guinea/index.html

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

And yet your country has male genital mutilation.

It’s cosmetic surgery so our dicks don’t look like elephant trunks and gross chicks out. Jesus wanted it that way.

also, worth noting…

the other day my middle daughter had spread her legs and was looking at her vagina and spreading it in front of my oldest and I and my oldest goes “it looks like an octopus mouth” and I don’t really know how to process that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s cosmetic surgery so our dicks don’t look like elephant trunks and gross chicks out. Jesus wanted it that way.

also, worth noting…

the other day my middle daughter had spread her legs and was looking at her vagina and spreading it in front of my oldest and I and my oldest goes “it looks like an octopus mouth” and I don’t really know how to process that.

The more you post, the more you make yourself look like a serial killer. You should probably keep all of your natural tendencies on the down low at least until you can find a house with a well in the basement.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Nivek said:

And yet your country has male genital mutilation.

Touché, and that is an example of Western bias, but male circumcision has medical benefits, for example male infants with hydronephrosis are medically recommended to have the procedure to lessen the chance of a kidney infection.  Still, it’s true that it’s primarily cosmetic but let’s not act like they are equal.

Edited by TKthunder2

23 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

So you’re pro female genital mutilation?

I understand Western bias, but some shit is truly just savage.

Good point. I guess colonialism was a good thing and snuffed it out already. 

23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

You’re not wrong, but it’s a bit idealistic. There are so many different variables, that’s it’s impossible to know how society would have developed, and you’re also assuming there would never be intrusion from the outside parties as if Africa could remain untouched like some remote island societies in the pacific. As for the primitive/savage v civilized language, it is merely a reference to how society handles conflict resolution in laws.  I can see how it might seem derogatory, but I would argue that dealing with theft with a trial and monetary penalties is better for everyone than bloodshed, which was often the case before common law or even royal edict was established. 

I'm not suggesting complete isolationism, but I wish they had been allowed to handle modernity on their own terms after encounter with Europeans. The peoples of Africa had all sorts of shit done to them, and were left with borders they didn't draw, and governments they didn't develop. Yes I know it's idealistic. I wish the same could have been possible for the Americas and Australia and everywhere else that was colonized through horrible actions. My main point is that much of the chaos of today in Africa is due to colonialism and it's not real easy to fix it once the damage was done.

• Like 1