How Many College Football Stadiums Have You Attended?

Vic Mackey

Gameday in October in Lincoln is badass.  My favorite roadtrip game ever in 2009.  The stadium is old as hell, but steeped in (real) tradition. The Husker fans were real ambassadors of the game, including tailgating experience.

Favorite overall gameday experience is Army-Navy.  Nothing else like it in sports, IMHO.  Old military families don't fuck around when it comes to boozing it up either.  I liked Baltimore much more than Philly.

Jones AT&T

Michie Stadium

Amon G Carter

Floyd Casey

Memorial Stadium in Lincoln

Sun Devil Stadium

Kyle Field

Robertson( and TDECU) Stadium

Rice Stadium

Fouts Field

Bowers Stadium( SHSU)

SFA Stadium

McNeese Stadium

Lincoln Financial Field and M&T Bank Stadium for college.

AT&T Cowboys Stadium for college( hated it)

Lamar Stadium

Kimbrough Stadium( West Texas)

Memorial Stadium( Midwestern State)

Tulane, but not for a football game.  love their campus!

Independence Bowl

Texas Bowl

Alamo Bowl

Cotton Bowl

Edited by slorch

I don't count neutral site or bowl games:

DKR

Aggy

Baylors old stadium

Texas Tech

Ok State

Ole Miss

Sam Houston

Cal

Florida State

Auburn

LSU

Tulane

Houston

Will knock out Miami and UCF this year. My buddy and me do a road trip ever season(started about 4 yrs ago) to a new stadium that neither of us have been to. He used to travel hardcore to UH games so anything close one of us has been to.

Ole Miss and The Grove is a must.

• Like 1

I don't count neutral site or bowl games:

DKR
Aggy
Baylors old stadium
Texas Tech
Ok State
Ole Miss
Sam Houston
Cal
Florida State
Auburn
LSU
Tulane
Houston

Will knock out Miami and UCF this year. My buddy and me do a road trip ever season(started about 4 yrs ago) to a new stadium that neither of us have been to. He used to travel hardcore to UH games so anything close one of us has been to.

Ole Miss and The Grove is a must.

How was LSU? And was it a night game? I've heard that is a must for any college fan

How was LSU? And was it a night game? I've heard that is a must for any college fan
Yes night game and it was LSU/Florida so it was crazy. We were waaaay up in the nosebleeds though. Had a LSU grad with us who took us on a pregame tailgate wild goose chase so didn't get to see full extent of all that. We had went to Saints/Falcons on thurs night, UH/Tulane on friday and then this game on Saturday so I was spent after this one
  • Like 1

I have had the best times overall at

LSU, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Nebraska, West Virginia

And it goes without saying for most of you but the Cotton Bowl in October is the best atmosphere in sports. 

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 1

As an undergrad, I was in the Texas Tech marching band (PE credits, yo!). At the time, we didn't go to every out of town game, but in my two years of band during the SWC days, we played halftime at Tceh (obviously), Wyoming, TCU, Baylor, aggy, and UT - plus the Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys, and Houston Oilers. Since moving to Austin in '96, I've been to DKR a handful of times and the Alamo Bowl once. Clearly, I'm not a super fan.

The only one that truly stands out in my memory was the miserable experience at Pyle Field where our 450 piece band was forced into a seating area made for 200. It was a hot and fucking miserable September afternoon with aggy shitsticks throwing crap down at us from one of their upper decks.

Can't list all of them,  but the two best were:

Husky Stadium,  great watching the boats.

The big house. A friend of mine had a nephew that was an aggy player and he got us tickets.  I said WTF a chance to go to the big house.  BTW aggy lost. That was back in the '70s.

Texas college football stadiums (mostly from the sidelines):

Texas DKR
Baylor FCS
Baylor McLane
TCU
SMU Texas Stadium
SMU Ownby - I really enjoyed the simple old school intimate setting at this tiny stadium, like a 3A HS game or something.
SMU Ford - really nice smaller venue that deserves a far better quality of home football program
Aggy - several different incarnations, they all sucked, but the brainwashed Al Qaeda type crowd atmposhere is kind of fun to experience. Some good memories as I have witnessed some great classic aggy meltdowns at Pyle.
Alamo Bowl
Mary Hardin-Baylor - new stadium is quite nice
Mary Hardin-Baylor at the old Tiger Field
I've been to the Astrodome , but for indoor track, not football...wasn't really a fan of the dingy atmpsohere
Cotton Bowl stadium, the obvious UT-OU and Cotton Bowl, a few other odd games, logistics and comforts are a bitch, smells like mildew, sidelines too cramped, but it has it's old school charm.
AT&T Stadium, lots of good games there, Cotton Bowl, Big 12

Not-Texas stadiums

The Rose Bowl stadium was the greatest atmosphere I have experienced. Saw a regular season game there between UCLA and Nebraska back in the 90s. Very scenic over the stadium, great crowd, it was the first time I really saw tailgating all over the place by both teams fans, very colorful and festive, perfect weather. The best chili dog I've ever eaten was in the Rose Bowl press box. It's also the only time I ever had to pay for a media pre-game meal, $5. But worth it.

USC LA Coliseum - strangely, I have very little memory of this, so it must not have been as great as one would expect

Stanford - saw Stanford vs Cal, great rivalry, stadium seemed about 50 years past due for demolition, but the atmosphere around the stadium was real nice
Maryland
U of Illinois
Arizona
Northwestern
Colorado - most crowded sideline ever, they had seven guys operating one set of chains...fucking unreal

That's all I can think of now. There were probably a few more. They were all groovy because it's college football

Edited by DougO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Can't list all of them,  but the two best were:

Husky Stadium,  great watching the boats.

The big house. A friend of mine had a nephew that was an aggy player and he got us tickets.  I said WTF a chance to go to the big house.  BTW aggy lost. That was back in the '70s.

The big house as in university of Michigan?

Jack Trice - Iowa State.  Massively improved venue, raucous home crowds, wild tailgate scene.  I'm biased as shit.

Kinnick - Iowa.  Really cool old stadium wedged into a residential neighborhood.  Iowa fans party too.

UNI Dome - Northern Iowa.  FCS football indoors.  It was fine, with that factored in.

Elwood Olsen - Morningside.  NAIA.  My cousin played here.  Half my family go at drunk in the parking lot before his final game, and basically brought a liter of whiskey into the game to keep warm.  Pretty little stadium, and a good time.

TCF Bank - Minnesota.  Beautiful facility, shit tailgating, lame fanbase, but Grain Belt on tap.

Maxwell Field - Winona State.  DII, drank in Stadium out of flask.  Sold out and rowdy.  Stood on the edge of the end zone in unofficial student section.

Memorial - Nebraska.  Great venue, shit tailgating, shit fans.

Faurot Field - Mizzou.  the definition of average in all aspects.

Bill Snyder Family - Kansas State.  Passionate fans, facility has improved dramatically since my first visit.  Very good tailgate scene.  Slightly more reserved version of ISU.

Memorial - Kansas.  A dump, but in the cool old way.  Surprisingly fun game day scene.  Good mix of weird residential area bars and front yard tailgates.  Fans much cooler than basketball season.

Boone Pickens - Oklahoma State.  Concourse areas surprisingly felt cheap.  Everything else was great.  Fantastic fans (very similar to us and KSU).  Tailgating a little hampered due to lay out.

Amon G. Carter - TCU.  Beautiful facility.  Solid tailgate.  Fanbase a little disinterested, but universally friendly.

Floyd Casey - Baylor.  Irredeemable and terrible.  Worst facility, fanbase, and town on the list.

Darrell K Royal - Texas.  Massive.  Fans were awesome.  Tailgate scene was spread out and inconveniet, but very fun.

Kyle Field - Aggy.  Pre SEC.  Odd layout, and dingy.  Tailgate was fun.  Aggy fans were fun in one on one interactions.  All that went out the window inside stadium.  The cult is something else.  It has to be observed to be believed.

Infocision Stadium - Akron.  Shockingly nice facility.  Really not much of a fanbase to speak of.  Most of them rooted for other schools.  Fun little tailgate area.  Exceeded expectations.

Mountaineer Field - West Virginia.  Fucking wild.  Incredible fans.  Coonskin hats, moonshine, weed.  What else you want?  Great tailgate.  Stadium is a crappier Jack Trice.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 5

DKR, Cotton Bowl, Aggy, Tech, Baylor (Floyd Casey), UH (Robertson and Astrodome), Rice, Alamodome, NRG, AT&T, SFA, Fiesta Bowl, Ole Miss, Colorado, Wyoming, Notre Dame, USC, Rose Bowl.

Will be checking Boone Pickens and maybe Maryland off the list this season. Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl are the best by far. 

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How many? And which ones were the best in terms of gameday experience be it the game and the tailgating. 

I have only been to 3 and all in this state. UT, SMU and TCU. Need to change this and start visiting some out of state. 

Jack Trice

Kinnick (Iowa)

Camp Randall

Autzen

Maryland

Ryan (Northwestern)

Metrodome (formerly U Minn)

Camp Randall / Madison is college football heaven for huskie German/Scandi Yankees (like me).  Northwestern sucks all around and the tailgating was astoundingly poor.  The Metrodome sucked for everything but worst for Gopher football.

• Like 1

Best gameday experience was The Horseshoe in 2005.

Worst post-gameday experience was The Horseshoe in 2005.

They were pretty cool all day before the game, and I was in absolute awe of their fans during the game.  Then when they lost it turned into fucking Beirut.

Baylor (new & old)

Texas

SMU

TCU

UNT

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

West Virginia

UAB

LaTech

Texas Tech

Notre Dame

AT&T (BU/TT)

Cotton Bowl (BU/TT)

Alamodome (BU/Washington)

Reliant (BU/Illinois)

As a kid during summer vacation we would visit college campuses so in non game situations I've seen:

LSU

A&M

Rice

Texas State

Prairie View

Texas Southern

Sam Houston

SFA

ACU

Southern Mississippi

Air Force

Navy

Illinois

Northwestern

Maryland

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Duke

UNC

Tennessee

Vanderbilt

Colorado

New Mexico

Ole Miss

Alabama

Jacksonville State

James Madison

Florida

Florida State

Samford

ULM

ULL

Kansas

VMI

The Citadel

Missouri State

Arkansas

Tulsa

I'm sure a ton more I'm forgetting

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

Cotton bowl Dallas many times

Jerry world vs nebraska

Dkr over and over

Aggy (in 04 mind you)

Rose bowl in 04 and 05

Texas at ND

Houston at the arkie game

TCU

Baylor

Tech

Okie state

Camp Randall (awesome)

This year planning on oregon v Oregon state or Harvard Yale since at harvard this year. BIL and I are going around the country each year to catch a game.

College stadiums-

Of course, Bryant-Denny(about 100 times)

Jacksonville State aka Burgess-Snow, about 10 times

UTC Mocs stadium, once for JSU game there. Nice for a small stadium.

Grant Field(prior to the Bobby Dodd renaming) in '82

Legion Field, before it was a complete dump, just a minor dump then, back in the early 80's

Neyland-thrice, cool seeing the Vol Navy for the first time, hilly as fuck walking around

Vaught Hemingway-Grove is overrated

Seen Jordan Hare but not on a gameday. Same for Sanford Stadium.

Rose Bowl-Not a bad seat in the house, long, narrow tunnels from concessions to seats, have to wait to be let back in.

Non-college stadiums for college games-

Ga Dome-4 times, Clemson, VT twice, WV, all for Kickoff Classic

Superdome-BCSCG vs LSU, also partied outside of it for the Bama vs Miami title game(could not afford tickets, as poor college student)

Jerryworld-For Michigan and USC games in openers.

Edited by bamachine

Not counting pro stadiums for bowl games/conference championship games:

1. DKR
  2. Kyle Field
  3. Cotton Bowl (Texas/OU)
  4. Texas Tech
  5. Baylor (Floyd Casey, not new)
  6. Colorado - Folsom Field
  7. Oklahoma State
  8. Kansas State
  9. Nebraska
  10. Rose Bowl
  11. USC - Coliseum
  12. Ohio State
  13. UW's Stadium (but just a tour, not during a game)
  14. Cal Memorial 
Edited by hornian
Forgot about Cal

9 hours ago, Laga4 said:

Hope you've been there.  

Great game day atmosphere.  

It’s my home team! I live in Michigan and go to 2-3 games a year. Love my Wolverines! Was at this game last yea. It started pouring out and then this happened 

• Like 1

DKR

Astrodome - Cooger High

Rice Stadium

pyle

Ford - SMU

Texas Stadium - SMU

Cotton Bowl - OU and Cotton Bowl

Jones - Tech (idk if it was called Jones back then)

Rose Bowl

Jordan Hare

Bryant Denny

Vaught Hemingway

Legion Field - UAB and Birmingham Bowl (it is a major dump now)

I've visited a ton when on trips but none were for games. 

Commonwealth Stadium - UK(attended many games as a kid) 

Roy Kidd Stadium - EKU (went 2 semesters there before moving to Austin in '78) 

DKR - SMU(Pony Express, Rice-controversial TD-cold as shit also, NCSU - Punt-gate, van broken into, Simms Sr. Day vs. A&M)

Razorback Stadium - UK/UA - Beautiful setting with the Ozarks in the background, cold, wet, drizzly day and I wore shorts like a dumbass.  Fans were great for the most part,  Cats came out on top, though. 

Bowl Game - Alamo Bowl with Michigan/Nebraska(Jr. is a UM fan) fun game, heckuva finish. 

Biggest regret all my time in Texas and I never went to a UT/OU game, did attend the SF during one of them, but never to a game. 

A  game down at Michie Stadium in West Point is on a Bucket list along with the Army/Navy game.  May hit up a Syracuse game but I hate that city/school.  Harvard/Yale might be a fun one to do. 

Edited by Underdog

Michie Stadium in mid October is spectacular with the Autumn foliage.

The parking makes TCU proud though, as West Point was never designed for "Gameday."   There are copious amounts of shuttles( yellow dogs) from the parking areas and there are no additional fees.  If you know the campus, I parked at the rugby fields and hiked to Grant  Hall and then up to Michie.  If you go for a game, you might as well tour the sights and memorials on campus.

The added security measures to get on  a federal post make getting there early especially important.

Autzen Stadium
Bobby Dodd Stadium
Camp Randall Stadium
Cotton Bowl
DKR
Faurot Field
Falcon Stadium
Floyd Casey Stadium
Folsom Field
Kenan Memorial Stadium
Kyle Field
Lane Stadium
LA Memorial Coliseum
Mackay Stadium
Memorial Stadium (Cal)
Memorial Stadium (Kansas)
Memorial Stadium (Nebraska)
Reynolds Razorback Stadium
Rice Stadium
Rose Bowl
Ross-Ade Stadium
Sanford Stadium
University Stadium
Wallace Wade Stadium

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Michie Stadium in mid October is spectacular with the Autumn foliage.

The parking makes TCU proud though, as West Point was never designed for "Gameday."   There are copious amounts of shuttles( yellow dogs) from the parking areas and there are no additional fees.  If you know the campus, I parked at the rugby fields and hiked to Grant  Hall and then up to Michie.  If you go for a game, you might as well tour the sights and memorials on campus.

The added security measures to get on  a federal post make getting there early especially important.

Appreciate the info, and yeah, I'd like to checkout the campus/sights while there.  I've heard a game there during Leaf Peaking season is a must.  A game in the Rose Bowl should be on my list also.  

Owe Jr. a trip to Ann Arbor for a game in the Big House, he'll probably want to do the OSU game but I'd be more inclined to do something earlier in the season when it's warmer. 

I think I got them all.  These are pretty much football stadiums that are used mostly for college games where in some shape or fashion I attended a college game:

Sun Devil Stadium, Tech vs Minnesota comeback

Qualcomm Stadium, Cal beat down in 2004

Folsom Field, Colorado

Gator Bowl, the bowl game

Harvard Stadium

Michigan Stadium

Faurot Field, Missouri

Memorial Stadium, Nebraska

Mackay Stadium, Nevada-Reno

Palmer Stadium, Princeton

University Stadium, New Mexico

Rutgers Stadium, Rutgers

Schoellkopf Field, Cornell

Glass Bowl, Toledo

Ohio Stadium, Ohio State

T. Boone Pickens Stadium, Oklahoma State

Brown Stadium, Brown University

Sun Bowl, UTEP

Kimbrough Memorial, West Texas State

Jones Stadium, Tech

San Angelo Stadium, Angelo State

Alamo Dome, Alamo Bowl

Darrell K Royal, Texas

Floyd Casey Stadium, Baylor

Amon G Carter, TCU

Cotton Bowl, the bowl game

Owen Field, SMU

Gerald R Ford, SMU

Kyle Field, aggy

Rice Stadium

DKR (UT): For the Notre Dame game so it was awesome

Vaught-Hemingway (Ole Miss): Amazing tailgate, engaged crowd

Williams-Brice (South Carolina): Super fun time, especially with the Spurrier factor at the time

Alumni (Boston College): Cold and only 2/3 full, but a rowdy tailgate scene

Memorial (Cal): Soooo pretty. Students don't care much.

Stanford (duh): Pleasant but not much else

Harvard (duh): Amazing, huge, and empty for non-Yale games

Wein (Columbia): Gorgeous view of the Harlem River and Palisades. Also pretty empty for games.

Edited by texifornia

TCU

UT

A&M

UH-Astrodome

Rice

SMU-Owenby, Ford, Texas Stadium, Cotton Bowl

UNT-old stadium

Texas Tech

Arkansas-LR and Fayetteville

Baylor-both

Arizona State

USC

OU

Kansas

New Mexico

Tulane-Super Dome

Rose Bowl

Liberty Bowl

Fiesta Bowl

Independence Bowl

Houston Bowl

Alamo Bowl

Sun Bowl

Peach Bowl-Georgia Dome

Best-Rose Bowl

Worst-Kansas

Ole Miss - Tailgating at The Grove was awesome, stadium itself ok

Notre Dame - Stadium was an antiquated POS. Terrible bathrooms, concessions, seating etc etc etc. The fans absolutely trash their parking lot while tailgating. Just a dump.

West Virginia - Great tailgating, stadium itself was cool with great views around you

Cal - Shithole. DJ playing during the game sucked - Their student section being at midfield was cool. Their fans were complete and utter shit stains.

USC - Had field seats in End Zone so experience was super cool. Logistics in/out of stadium sucked. Stadium itself not built for football, lots of unused space. They do their end zone club right though.

LSU - great experience throughout - tailgating is awesome, fans loud. Lots of fun.

DKR - Home Base