'Splain to me plz: Gap Years

Damor

We have a now almost 20 year old son with a late July birthday so most of what I reference is from research done almost 15 years ago.  At the time probably 25%-33% of June or later birthdays delayed the start of kindergarten.  Breaking it down further, boys from middle class and up families it was something like 70%+ delayed kindergarten start.  Girls and less affluent boys and girls the numbers were in the low teens or even single digits.

We had our son do kindergarten at a church school and then do kindergarten again at the local school so he wasn't just repeating exactly what he did the year before.

He had a great overall academic and athletic experience through school.  Chances are he would also have done fine had he not "redshirted" but we remain happy with our choice. 

We also have a current 9 year old son with an end of April birthday.  We did not delay his start to school (mainly because we are now old AF).  He is doing fine overall but he is definitely less mature than a lot of his peers.  Looking around he is the second youngest kid (boys and girls) in his grade at school which tells me that the statistics of how popular "redishirting" is, at a minimum, holding steady, if not increasing.  He has a couple of boys in his grade who are more than a year older than him.

Tons of variables obviously but it is pretty common, especially for Summer birthday boys.