i just got xbox game pass- which games should i check out?

shadow_operative

Slay the Spire is a rogue-like deck building card game. If you like card games it's worth a look. It's very good.

Monster Train is another deck builder card game that folks really like, I think Spire is a bit better.

Hades is a challenging rogue like that is extremely well done.

All the old id Software games are on there. The two new Doom games are fun.

The PC version of City Skylines is a fun city builder, I assume the console version is also good.

Darkest Dungeon is a turn based game that can be challenging but really good.

Enter the Gungeon is a twin stick shooter rogue like that is highly regarded.

If you've never played the old Lucas Arts point and click adventure games Grim Fandango and Full Throttle they are worth a look. Two of the best in the genre and a big nostalgia hit.

Hollow knight is a metroidvania people really love. Can be challenging.

Ori and the Blind Forest and it's sequel are both excellent metroidvania games 

Lonely Mountain Downhill is a chill but also challenging mountain biking game that is pretty fun.

Overcooked 2 is a local co-op cooking game that can be very fun and challenging, but only play it with someone you have a rock solid relationship with. I have to believe this game has caused divorces.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a star Wars dark souls game that is well done.

All the Yakuza games are on there. They're a bit crazy but are good if you like the genre.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Slay the Spire is a rogue-like deck building card game. If you like card games it's worth a look. It's very good.

Monster Train is another deck builder card game that folks really like, I think Spire is a bit better.

Hades is a challenging rogue like that is extremely well done.

All the old id Software games are on there. The two new Doom games are fun.

The PC version of City Skylines is a fun city builder, I assume the console version is also good.

Darkest Dungeon is a turn based game that can be challenging but really good.

Enter the Gungeon is a twin stick shooter rogue like that is highly regarded.

If you've never played the old Lucas Arts point and click adventure games Grim Fandango and Full Throttle they are worth a look. Two of the best in the genre and a big nostalgia hit.

Hollow knight is a metroidvania people really love. Can be challenging.

Ori and the Blind Forest and it's sequel are both excellent metroidvania games 

Lonely Mountain Downhill is a chill but also challenging mountain biking game that is pretty fun.

Overcooked 2 is a local co-op cooking game that can be very fun and challenging, but only play it with someone you have a rock solid relationship with. I have to believe this game has caused divorces.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is a star Wars dark souls game that is well done.

All the Yakuza games are on there. They're a bit crazy but are good if you like the genre.

wow, this is great, thank you. 🤘🏼 

6 hours ago, MillerEP said:

What genres do you like? 

when i was a kid i played a ton of video games, and was super into them. my parents had an atari when i was little, and then we got the NES when it came out, and from that point up until probably the PS2 i stayed playing games. my favorite games of all time would include Tomb Raider II, Metal Gear Solid, Far Cry 3 and FC 5, Red Dead Redemption (OG), and Tony Hawk Pro Skater (i'm pretty good at the reboot). oh, and MLB The Show 21.

that said i loved the super mario bros games, i remember enjoying final fantasy, i played zelda on gameboy, i of course played street fighter and mortal kombat- i'm open to a lot of different genres, but i'm also a bit of a luddite when it comes to gaming, so i don't know how into the more "advanced" games i will be. still, open to anything. 

From that list, here are my suggestions:

A Plague Tale, BattleTech, Dragon Age series, Control, Crackdown 3, Children of Motta, Desperados III, Destroy All Humans, Dishonored series, Doom reboots, Fallout Series, Gears of War Series, Hades, Halo series, Injustice 2. Just Cause 4, Mass Effect Series, Mechwarrior 5, Middle Earth Shadow of War, Octopath Traveler, Phoenix Point, Pillars of Eternity Series, Prey, Psychonauts series, Rage 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Sunset Overdrive, Tales of Vesperia, Elder Scrolls Series, The Outer Worlds, Tormewnt: Tides of Numera, Wasteland series, We Happy Few, Wolfenstein series, and Yakuza series, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, I just got Xbox Game Pass Ultimate about 2 weeks ago. I stumbled on to a tip, that you all may enjoy.  You can get up to 3 years (36 months) of Xbox Live Gold subscription cards from retailers (Amazon, Newegg, Target, etc), and apply it to your account. Then go activate the Game Pass Ultimate demo for $1 (if you haven't used it), and it will convert up to 36 months of XBL Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. 

If you already used that $1 offer, you can purchase a month of GP Ultimate for $15 and it will do the same. 
If you don't care about your Xbox account, you can ditch it, create a new one, and follow the steps.  
If you like your account, but already have a subscription to Game Pass or Ultimate, wait for it to run out before applying XBL Gold cards to it, then follow the steps. 

(Joe Biden voice) Let me be clear! You DO NOT use XBOX Live Gold Cards if you have an active Game Pass Subscription!!!

I got the $50 12 month cards from Newegg a couple weeks ago when they were on sale. Total was $151 for 36 months of GP Ultimate.  

I should also mention you get EA Play (EA's Game Pass) for free with GP Ultimate. You have to link your EA account to your Xbox Live account, and then it will sync up. Lots of games available on that platform too!

Proof:

image.png.5fbdac3f53aff14506f063775b0f8888.png

Edited by Dutchrudder

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went ahead and picked up the X series, and Game Pass looks really nice.  Has anyone played Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands?  I've seen some gameplay on Twitch and it looks really good.  Just wondering since it's not optimized for the S/X series.  

On 10/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, Gunsup said:

Went ahead and picked up the X series, and Game Pass looks really nice.  Has anyone played Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands?  I've seen some gameplay on Twitch and it looks really good.  Just wondering since it's not optimized for the S/X series.  

Not optimized. But, It's nice, if you enjoyed the old Ghost Recon games. Nothing like the COD games. You have real freedom. The campaign alone is hours of fun, if you do all the side challenges. The DJ is crazy.

If you get a chance play Breakpoint. 

Edited by Brothahorn

15 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Not optimized. But, It's nice, if you enjoyed the old Ghost Recon games. Nothing like the COD games. You have real freedom. The campaign alone is hours of fun, if you do all the side challenges. The DJ is crazy.

If you get a chance play Breakpoint. 

I went ahead and downloaded it-really like it so far.  I don't have my xbox connected to a 4k yet, so not being optimized is not a big deal right now.  Looking forward to checking out breakpoint when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Pentiment is out today. It looks fantastic

Been playing it the past couple of days. Very story driven, lot of religious talk because of the time period, and a LOT of reading with no spoken parts. Which is not terrible, I like it, but I can see how it won't be a lot of people's cup of tea.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping.

Been a PC gamer forever - my new living arrangement makes it easier for xbox and I just swiped my little brother's old one. 

Had game pass for a bit now but haven't played a lot. I just got into Hollow Knight and I'm enjoying it although it will make you want to throw your controller through the screen at times. 

Bumping.
Been a PC gamer forever - my new living arrangement makes it easier for xbox and I just swiped my little brother's old one. 
Had game pass for a bit now but haven't played a lot. I just got into Hollow Knight and I'm enjoying it although it will make you want to throw your controller through the screen at times. 
One week til Starfield drop on the pass, I believe you can go ahead and pre load.

11 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
15 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Bumping.

One week til Starfield drop on the pass, I believe you can go ahead and pre load.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Big Oblivion fan and have spent a lot of hours in Skyrim, New Vegas and FO4.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Tried to play Cities Skylines 2 on PC Game pass and found out my computer is finally too old for something.

Not really the graphics settings either, my CPU just can't handle that game 

Bummer.

Skylines 2 has incredibly poor performance everywhere. Even a top-end system with a 4090 can't get 60fps at 1080p. 

There's something deeply wrong in that game right now