Santa Fe Recs

Brandt

11 hours ago, Texaspython said:

I tried Andiamo over Christmas. Great place.

Has a really good rep. and is very popular. Woman who moved here from Austin several years ago owns it. I'm tall and their small tables and chairs were uncomfortable for me. Piccolino is more casual italian fare, and I really like Trattoria al Mano for upscale. And Il Vicino for pizza.

Edited by Chopper

On 2/4/2020 at 7:42 PM, Bobby Light said:

Heading to SF for a few days next week. It's going to be cold so no patio weather is a bummer but we'll be hitting the slopes up mostly. Amy new spots worth mentioning?

What part of town are you staying in? Don't overlook the japanese/korean restaurant at 10000 Waves that you'll pass on the way back from the slopes - izanami.

A couple new places I forgot to mention. A really good persian restaurant - Milad. On Alameda next to the grocery co-op, La Montanita.

Also there's a new steakhouse that's basically ranch to table - Market Steer, not far from the Plaza. From my experience, if you're not going to get steak, don't bother. They also make a great burger but it's only available at the bar next door during happy hour, Secreto.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Chopper said:

Yes. Mampuku Ramen opened a couple months ago. They have a variety of very tasty broths and I've enjoyed 'em all, even the very non-traditional brisket with green chile was great. They have a shrimp wrapped in green chile tempura that is killer.

Uncle DT's BBQ, close to Meow Wolf, was a trailer, now he has a brick and mortar that just opened a couple weeks ago. Owner did some apprentice time at Black's. We don't have oak here though so he uses pecan, I think.

Santa Fe Brewing has a recently opened tap room they call the Brakeroom a half block from the Capitol (Roundhouse).

If you need a shitload of wings there's a new Wing Stop on the south side of town.

A greek place called Yamas Greek Rotisserie just opened a few weeks ago and while I haven't been I've heard very good things.

The mixed breakfast burrito at El Chile Toreado is still my favorite food in town. Their quesadillas are also amazing esp if you top it with condiments from their salsa bar. It's a food truck near Whole Foods.

There's a new taqueria dive place on Cerillos called La Piña Loka and their steak and shrimp tacos with green salsa are great  https://www.santafenewmexican.com/life/taste/at-new-la-pi-a-loka-small-space-delivers-big/article_ace1dc36-36ff-11ea-8636-af490dcbffb9.html

Meow Wolf has a ton of concerts on their calendar this year (listed under events on their calendar) and it's a great intimate club if you see a band you like.

Great post.

Love that town.  Meow Wolf -- I have been three times now.  I still don't know what the heck I am looking at.

12 hours ago, Bobby Light said:

We rented a house on the NE side of town, not far from the governor's mansion. The spas at 10k is Def on the list.

A couple of other thoughts of things off the beaten path. Family friendly restaurant that opened this year near the Plaza is Fiesta Oaxaca. Interior Mexican, focus on mole. El Callejon is also a new Mexican place also near the plaza and it's pretty good.  Far from the Plaza, I assume you're already familiar with Rowley Farmhouse Ales. If not their food and beer are excellent. A very wife-friendly pastry shop not far from the Plaza is Chaine - that's the owner's name, her specialty is macarons. Opened a couple months ago. They're pretty awesome. Also alcohol-wise and wife friendly, Honeymoon Brewery brews a very tasty hard kombucha at their location on Alameda. And if you head over to Meow Wolf, there's a new location of Kakawa Chocolate House nearby.

Oh, if any of your family are Game of Thrones fans, George RR Martin just opened Beastly Books 3 doors down from his cinema on Montezuma St.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I tried following it for a few rooms, crazy. Then I just got lost in the art. Meow Wolf is awesome.

Just got back from Meow Wolf. Super awesome. Like, amazing.

I did the puzzle in the constellation room but didn't understand the next clue and my wife and kids were getting impatient. Went to reddit when I got home. Apparently when you crack the code you get a website: https://ihearmusicfromouterspace.com/

Interesting fact about Meow Wolf: George R.R. Martin gave 2.5mm to fund the installation and it took 14 months to build.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Just got back from Meow Wolf. Super awesome. Like, amazing.

I did the puzzle in the constellation room but didn't understand the next clue and my wife and kids were getting impatient. Went to reddit when I got home. Apparently when you crack the code you get a website: https://ihearmusicfromouterspace.com/

Interesting fact about Meow Wolf: George R.R. Martin gave 2.5mm to fund the installation and it took 14 months to build.

Cool, the family will be out in Santa Fe next week and we're planning on going on Wednesday.  Did you order tickets ahead of time or just buy them when you got there?  About how long does it take to see everything?  

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Buy ahead of time.  You have to reserve your time slot. I'd recommend going right when it opens before it gets crowded.  A minimum of 2 hours if you're just looking. If you follow the story line from beginning to end and try to figure it all out, 3-4 hours.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Cool, the family will be out in Santa Fe next week and we're planning on going on Wednesday.  Did you order tickets ahead of time or just buy them when you got there?  About how long does it take to see everything?  

We bought as a walk-up; skip the dollar extra for the 3D glasses, we found them worthless.

We were there a surprising 3 hours; didn't plan to stay that long and didn't feel that long.

Buy ahead of time.  You have to reserve your time slot. I'd recommend going right when it opens before it gets crowded.  A minimum of 2 hours if you're just looking. If you follow the story line from beginning to end and try to figure it all out, 3-4 hours.

This. Reserve ahead of time. You’ll skip a big line as a result.

7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

We bought as a walk-up; skip the dollar extra for the 3D glasses, we found them worthless.

We were there a surprising 3 hours; didn't plan to stay that long and didn't feel that long.

This was us, too.  Went on the spur of the moment.  No interest in going, but heard it was pretty cool.  Still spent two or three hours there.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, Jerry Callo said:

We're booked for 9:00 next Wednesday.  Meow Wolf, a couple days of skiing/snowboarding, and a trip to Bandelier National Monument should keep us plenty busy.  Thanks again for the advice. 

Meow Wolf closed until the end of March, so that's out.  Several museums will likely be closed as well.  

Got some rain in town and fresh snow in the mountains today and more supposedly on the way tonight.

There's one of those new upscale bowling alleys with restaurant and adult beverages in town if you're desperate for things to do with your family. The Alley, it's called. They also have billiards, shuffleboard, darts and an arcade. All the other restaurants at DeVargas are legit, too.

There have been a lot of visitors in town this week but it was very quiet for a Friday night...just got back from walking the dog - Violet Crown Cinema open but definitely not very busy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

All the other restaurants at DeVargas are legit, too.

I should clarify - the pizza place is mediocre. The peruvian place inside and the 2 New Mexican restaurants at the front of the mall are all very good. Also that bowling alley isn't cheap but that'll help keep out the riff raff.

Edited by Chopper

On 3/13/2020 at 8:23 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Meow Wolf closed until the end of March, so that's out.  Several museums will likely be closed as well.  

Welp...

Ski Santa Fe Closing For The Season

effective March 15

edit Taos too.

Not sure if the cross country place (Enchanted Forest) in Red River is still open or not.

Angel Fire says they're day-to-day about whether to stay open or not.

another edit: The delivery app most restaurants here use is a local one called Fetch. There's a few restaurants on grubhub but nowhere near as many as Fetch.

Edited by Chopper

Welp...

Ski Santa Fe Closing For The Season

effective March 15
edit Taos too.
Not sure if the cross country place (Enchanted Forest) in Red River is still open or not.
Angel Fire says they're day-to-day about whether to stay open or not.
another edit: The delivery app most restaurants here use is a local one called Fetch. There's a few restaurants on grubhub but nowhere near as many as Fetch.
We were planning to ski tomorrow and the next day. Caught wind this morning about possibly closing, so we rushed up the mountain and skied today.

Probably going to do a bunch of hiking and chilling. Unfortunately, Tent Rocks is closed, too.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

On 3/15/2020 at 7:58 PM, Jerry Callo said:

We were planning to ski tomorrow and the next day. Caught wind this morning about possibly closing, so we rushed up the mountain and skied today.

That's fairly hard core to catch the last day of an open mountain. It was a nice day, I'll bet the skiing was pretty decent.

I heard Ten Thousand Waves is temporarily closing too. On the plus side, Geronimo is now offering take out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

We're bar hoping tonight. Draft Station, Desert Dogs, and now Santa Fe Brewing Tap Room. Pretty dead all around. I suspect most places will close the doors by the end of the week.

My favorite is Rowley's. It's about a 6 minute drive down Cerillos from where you are now/were. Great food too.

The bar and food at Radish and Rye is great too. Bourbon is their specialty.

Edited by Chopper

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Blakes Lottaburger.

There is an Allsups that is at a Y in the road, that apparently from my uncle's house is on the way to every fucking place I go when there.  Whether it is the slopes or to the plaza.

Not going to lie I frequently hit up the bean and beef burrito.

La Casa Sena usually is easy to get in.  We like it.  Or El Meson.

• Hook 'Em 1

NO Reservations:
- La choza
- Modern General
- Cafe Sonder
- The Dragon Room (drinks)
- Sazon
- Tratorria a Mano
- El Callejon
- Tonic (drinks)
- Matador (drinks)
- Hervé
- The Shed
- Fin and Hops (drinks)

Reservations:
- Paloma (go here)
- Radish & Rye
- L’oliver
- Market Steer

Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1

I lived there for about 3 years until moving to CO. I ate at almost all Santa Fe restaurants multiple times. We ate at the fancy places, we ate at the locals places. For locals, here are my recommendations, cut and pasted from what I sent to a friend recently. Most of 'em are away from the plaza/tourist area.

By far the best breakfast is at a food truck around the corner from Whole Foods, El Chile Toreado. They have the most magnificent breakfast burrito and I highly recommend the mixed meat with xmas chile. It's one of the best things I've ever eaten. 

Piccolino - italian american with the unique distinction of having a side drive through for pick-up. All the pastas are great. Portions are enough for 2 meals. The pasta is much better than their pizza.

Vinaigrette - fresh salads with a variety of proteins and soups. Hard to go wrong.

Boultawns - for bagels. NY Deli is good, too, for breakfast or lunch. (2 locations for NY Deli)

Herve' wine bar - excellent wines and charcuterie in a gorgeous setting.

Madame Matisse - (location on East Marcy St.) Great salads, fish, burger, french onion soup, etc

New Mexican food - La Choza or Cafe Castro. 

El Salvadoreño - you'll look at this place and think I'm crazy. It's attached to some ugly hotel on Cerillos. Pupusas!

Alicia's Tortilleria - great mexican food, total dive. Their housemade tortillas are very thick and best served with tortilla soup.

Indian food - Paper Dosa. If you enjoy Indian food, don't miss it. It's easy to overlook Annapurna's World Vegetarian Cafe for vegetarian food, but it's excellent.

Best green chile burgers - Second Street Brewery's (at the Railyard) Alien Burger, also Real Burger's (on Cerillos) green chile burger (where I strongly recommend trying it on a sopapilla, but don't get a double it's way too sloppy)

Fiesta Oaxaca - not far from the plaza, really great mole / interior mexican, informal dining, take away. Family run place.

If you're wandering around downtown and want a quick bite, try Tres Colores.

Paleteria Oasis - inside the "Design Center" building. Amazing natural, all fruit popsicles. Next to a renowned gluten free bakery whose name I forget. They also have a location out on Airport Blvd it's in the same shopping center as a mexican seafood restaurant that's good, too.

If you're a fan of macarons, Chaine' on Water Street is incredible.  

If you are cooking at home be sure to go to Dr. Fieldgood's Butcher Shop.

Brewpub - Rowley's Farmhouse - fun outdoor seating, great beer and pub food.

Pub food - Loyal Hound

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, mycox said:

Is La Fonda too touristy?

The hotel? By definition, yes, but it's a nice hotel in a good location. From what I recall pretty much all the hotels that aren't in the historic district are on Cerillos Rd and you'd suffer a lot of road noise. Parking at La Fonda is in a garage and I don't know what they charge, that would be the only caution. It's definitely in the top 5 hotels in town. If you want a UTR pick you might try a small boutique inn called Casa Culinaria. Best hotel in SF is Inn of the Five Graces. The Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi is another top one. 

Edited by Chopper

Was just there May 15-17.  Packed - more crowded than any previous trip there (5th time over many years I think).  Make as many reservations as possible for places that take them.  The Shed allows you to call day of to get on the seating list, otherwise you’re not getting in.  We seriously had trouble getting dinner the first night, but it was a Saturday.  Weather was fantastic and it was definitely a real push back in to reality of crowds, etc.  Masks were still mandatory anytime indoors, but the CDC recommendations had just been updated and things were getting more lax by the time we left.  Plan meals ahead of your trip and you’ll be fine.  I just wasn’t prepared for that many people before schools had let out.  

8 hours ago, mycox said:

Is La Fonda too touristy?

We stayed at Inn of the Governors.  Great location in town, free parking, nice pool if you’re looking for some down time.  Plus free order from menu breakfast (everything we had was great) which was nice given size of crowds (see post above).  It was nice not having to wait to eat or fight crowds when we got up.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 5:14 PM, MajorMajor said:
On 5/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, SimonBolivar said:
Heading in for a couple days in late June. Anyone know of places we can just show up and eat at without reservations or a long wait?

Horseman's Haven for green chili cheeseburger or frito pie, be careful with the L2 tho

Breakfast burrito made me sweat at the table while I was eating it, but it’s the best one I have ever had in my life. 

We were there May 20 thru the 23rd. Margaritas & appetizers at the shed once, La Plazuela for a breakfast and a lunch was excellent, but the best was Lobster Nachos at the bar of the Inn of the Anasazi. Everything crowded, messed around and missed getting reservations for The Bull Ring Sat night & settled for a short staffed dinner at Chez Mamou. Impromptu trip, stayed at The Drury Plaza.  Was great to get back Santa Fe. 

Sidebar: I'm hooked on the Loretto Lines tour...an hour and a half narrated multi row glorified golf cart meandering. Our driver/narrator this trip was damn good. Information about small interesting things from architecture to early Santa Fe influential business leaders.

One sad but understandable tidbit was that over 100 restaurants had closed, many artisans and ancillary business also. On the bright side some of the closures near the Plaza were already beginning to sprout new openings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, CooterBrown said:

Just rolled into Santa Fe and prepping myself to eat a fuck ton and get drunk AF.

Stayed last night in Lubbock. What a shithole. That may be the worst city in Texas. As we drove through that dump on the way to the hotel, the 9th grader mumbled “mark Tech off the list.”

I hope you don't miss the breakfast burrito at El Chile Toreado. Mixed meats + xmas style. My number one craving after moving away from there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, CooterBrown said:

Just rolled into Santa Fe and prepping myself to eat a fuck ton and get drunk AF.

Stayed last night in Lubbock. What a shithole. That may be the worst city in Texas. As we drove through that dump on the way to the hotel, the 9th grader mumbled “mark Tech off the list.”

I see you haven't visited Port Arthur or nearby Lamar University. 

• Hook 'Em 1