Has anyone done PRP therapy?

HiggyBaby

Seems like we have a few “old guys” posts here with back pain, golfers elbows, etc. So here’s another one. Last spring I jacked my shoulder on the slopes. Probably tore something. Connected with an sports medicine guy who has managed to bring it from about 70% functional to 90% functional with therapy, soft tissue work, and AWT. Still occasionally hurts at night and after a workout. Generally ok but god forbid I sleep on a hard mattress. He wants to take an MRI and come up with a PRP plan. That’s something to do with plasma . I’m all for it as I don’t want surgery. Been there done that with a rotator cuff. Anyone done this yet, eggspecially with a shoulder?

Link for anyone who like me until 2 days ago is like PRP what?

https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_prp-injections.asp

I’ve done it for a really bad tennis elbow injury. I can’t tell you it worked or didn’t. I tried everything except for cortisone shots. In the end it took 14 months and at least 3 doing absolutely nothing with my arm to heal it.  I’m 18 months post rest/treatment. Still tender when lifting weights but no issues on the court and now my form is better so I won’t hurt it again.  Long way of saying it might help.

it feels weird as fuck though, gave me the hebeegeebees. I was going to do a second round and said nah I don’t want to feel that again. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Save your money.  Easy way for guy who makes 90% (of patient related income) from Medicare/Insurance to charge cash, at a price of their choosing, for something with a mediocre success rate.  What is the actual injury?  An MRI should have been the first thing ordered, to properly diagnose, not to find a PRP plan.  Find a new doctor too.

• Like 1

I was about to have surgery for tennis elbow and I got a second opinion from another surgeon. The second surgeon advised against surgery. He suggested more PT, Graston, and another cortisone shot. Eventually, I saw improvement, but the next recommended treatment was PRP. It was about $500 (at that time insurance did not cover it-not sure about now) then but the second surgeon said he gets good results with PRP. My whole tennis elbow ordeal was about 20 months. If PRP would have substantially shortened the recovery it would have been worth it.

Save your money.  Easy way for guy who makes 90% (of patient related income) from Medicare/Insurance to charge cash, at a price of their choosing, for something with a mediocre success rate.  What is the actual injury?  An MRI should have been the first thing ordered, to properly diagnose, not to find a PRP plan.  Find a new doctor too.

I visited an orthopedist first who said it was an impingement (xray) and ordered PT. That’s how I ended up with the current guy. My thought was let’s see how it goes. 6 months later, better but not healed. I will definitely get the MRI and consider all options, and doctors, but was just wondering about PRP since I’ve never heard of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done it many times, I get it injected under my knee cap since I have little to no cartilage left. I was doing synvisc (hyaluronic acid) first but then started working for a medical company that has a proprietary PRP system that I can get for free so I switched.

I find it works just as well as synvisc and it is using my own cells so it has to be better than injecting something foreign into my knees.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, HouTex said:

I was about to have surgery for tennis elbow and I got a second opinion from another surgeon. The second surgeon advised against surgery. He suggested more PT, Graston, and another cortisone shot. Eventually, I saw improvement, but the next recommended treatment was PRP. It was about $500 (at that time insurance did not cover it-not sure about now) then but the second surgeon said he gets good results with PRP. My whole tennis elbow ordeal was about 20 months. If PRP would have substantially shortened the recovery it would have been worth it.

arm for your health GIF

On 9/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, HouTex said:

I don't think insurance covers it, I think research is inconclusive / promising?  I can't say if it helped me, I did stay away from the big 2 - surgery and cortisone.  funny thing about the injury now, my coach says for most power is cheating - because if you could hit it in, that hard every time you'd move up a level or 3.  boy did I pay the price.  14 months to heal as mentioned.  shot selection and placement is everything.  on rare occasion is the kind of pace that can be damaging if form isn't perfect really needed.  in the end, that is the best preventative medicine, good coaching, learning the game, sound fundamentals, and avoiding the strain that causes the injury to begin with.  adding drop shots and shallow cross court angles don't hurt either.

Edited by troph

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

bump, anyone with more recent experience with PRP injections? 

I've had it done twice on my left knee, the first following meniscus repair surgery as part of the surgical plan and the second about a year or two after.  Both resulted in less pain than my previous knee surgery (I've had two now, thanks USMC for the wear and tear). 

My orthopedist said he's very much a fan and it's common practice to use PRP instead of cortisone injections now.  $500 was the price I paid both times, neither was covered by insurance although we fought the insurance company about it on the first one. 

• Like 1