What Exactly Goes On in this part of Oklahoma?

Vic Mackey

A lot of Hispanics live there to work in agriculture and meat production. Black Mesa is there, the highest point in Oklahoma, but falls just a few feet short of being officially a mountain (at least I recall that from history class 20 years ago). There's also a town there called Hooker, Oklahoma, and they annually have a pageant to name Miss Hooker. One of them appeared on a late night show, because it's funny. Other than that, I have no idea.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A lot of Hispanics live there to work in agriculture and meat production. Black Mesa is there, the highest point in Oklahoma, but falls just a few feet short of being officially a mountain (at least I recall that from history class 20 years ago). There's also a town there called Hooker, Oklahoma, and they annually have a pageant to name Miss Hooker. One of them appeared on a late night show, because it's funny. Other than that, I have no idea.

A former co-worker of mine is from Hooker. But she went to high school in Beaver. Or it was the other way around, I forget. But seeing pics that she took when she went back to visit were quite depressing. I remember her saying when they went out to eat they had to drive to Kansas. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Boise City | The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture

"Why'd you choose to settle down here, paw-paw?"

"I dunno, the whole place just seemed like a Welcome Home sign from Jesus."  

Yeah, I checked our map---there is still some minimal production coming out of Beaver and Harper Counties---mostly Latigo and Chesapeake acreage.  All just outside of some recent Andarko packages.  I haven't been up that way in long while.  Now I remember why.  

[CSB]I went to HS in Dallas, and my senior football season, a non-district opponent canceled on us at the last minute, so our school looked for a replacement... any replacement. The closest willing opponent we could find was Beaver High School in the Oklahoma Panhandle, and, unfortunately, we had to play up there. There is nothing there but sandy pasture; however, the town's claim to fame is being the "cow chip-tossing capital of the world." Their stadium is a dump, and every time they got a first down, their band of a half-dozen students played the saddest version of "Boomer Sooner" I'd ever heard. We kicked their ass.[/CSB]

• Hook 'Em 3

Since the red circle on the map includes part of Texas............... A buddy of mine and I were in Knox City watching the Knox City Greyhounds play the Follett Panthers in 6 man football. It was homecoming and the Knox City side was packed, all 300 fans, so we sat on the Follett side. They had about 25 people there and we asked where Follett was located. The woman we were talking with raised her arm, stuck her finger in her armpit and said "We're in the armpit of Oklahoma". It was a memorable geography lesson. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Since the red circle on the map includes part of Texas............... A buddy of mine and I were in Knox City watching the Knox City Greyhounds play the Follett Panthers in 6 man football. It was homecoming and the Knox City side was packed, all 300 fans, so we sat on the Follett side. They had about 25 people there and we asked where Follett was located. The woman we were talking with raised her arm, stuck her finger in her armpit and said "We're in the armpit of Oklahoma". It was a memorable geography lesson. 

Had a fat chick from Follett birddog me hard at church camp one summer in jr. high. Hits close to home.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll give 'em credit, they didn't overcomplicate the naming of the school.

Their crest reads very straight and to the point:

Pandhandle State University

"The World Needs Ditch-Diggers, Too."  

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

"Why'd you choose to settle down here, paw-paw?"

"I dunno, the whole place just seemed like a Welcome Home sign from Jesus."  

Yeah, I checked our map---there is still some minimal production coming out of Beaver and Harper Counties---mostly Latigo and Chesapeake acreage.  All just outside of some recent Andarko packages.  I haven't been up that way in long while.  Now I remember why.  

Wagon must have lost a wheel, or they lacked ambition one. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1