Best HS Player You Played Against?

MaybeACoordinator

With:  Barry Foster (arkie, steelers).  However, i did play "against" him a lot when we went O vs D.  He trucked my ass a few times and i still feel the pain.  He was as big in high school as he was in the pros.  Our team had a handful of future pro's (Duncanville).

Against: Joe Bowden (LB, N. Mesquite, played 9 yrs in the pros).  I played against a lot of future pro's but that dude was the one i remember most. 

If we did a baseball one, i would have a page to myself.  I played in the hayday of DFW baseball (late 80's, early 90's). 

Yes, he is the younger brother of Thomas.  He played for Tech and in the pros for 4 or 5 years as well.  When you hear "Daingerfield" you think of the Everett, Mims, Herndon, and Edmond families.  They produced a lot of stud athletes.  

They had some serious talent back then. All they talk about sometimes.

11 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Casey Hampton was the most dominant high school player I ever played against. By played against, I was a sophomore on the bench and watched him violently abuse out best lineman by throwing him 5 yards into the backfield every play. That guy later played div 1 (kind of) at NM St.

Best guy I actually played against was Quentin Jammer. That Angleton team was dogshit. It was Jammer and a bunch of slappys. Jammer was FS and I was TE. Like a chickenshit, I decided to cut his knees every play even when we were no where near the action. He ended up kicking me in the head and drawing a Personal Foul. Possible highlight of my HS career. Jammer was also the QB on offense and it appeared that the offensive philosophy was to let him run around and do whatever he wanted because the rest of the team was terrible. We were winning late in the 4th quarter until a play in which I was split out and obviously had Jammer in man coverage on me. I could see our inexperienced soph qb looking at me and I was nodding my head “no.” I ran a 5 and for a second thought I was about to catch it until Jammer came out of nowhere, pick 6’ed it and we lost.

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I never played against Hampton but as a former fullback from roughly that era I ran into a few fireplugs of his type. Beaumont Kelly had a dude named Thomas Kelly and trying to block or run over him was like trying to take on a fat telephone pole. I remember I'd head in the hole screaming like a little Catholic banzai warrior (I went to Strake) and just get stood up, no matter how hard I tried. It was like trying to knock over an old-school fire hydrant....But I know Lewis was like 2/3 the athlete Hampton was. I mean, that short little dude could fucking dunk! God damn that's power. He really should be in the HOF, but NGs don't rack up stats, so he probably won't, but he was one of the greatest players of the Mack era for sure. 

Galveston Ball, at one point in the late 90's/early 2000's held the title of having "the most players in currently in the NFL from a single HS". I think one of the Miami schools usually holds that. Anyway, they had badasses up and down the roster for years. Hampton was the most dominant of all of them, but they had a ton of unbelievable guys. 

Before Clear Brook/Springs/Falls, it was just Clear Creek and Clear Lake, and they had a concentration of stud talent. Both schools had some standout talent that went on to play D-1 and the pros. I played personally against Steve McKinney and frustrated the shit out of his aggie ass as a crab-blocking A-back for an entire game my sophomore year. He played DE and was a known badass and basically just wanted to maul me straight up, but I only weighed 190 lbs and wasn't stupid. He was a whiny bitch on the field and has proven to be one in real life later on as well. Lake had a ton of talent including guys that went to ND, LSU, ATM, Texas, you name it. 

At the time, the district also included Texas City (they were 5A once) and the Pasadena schools including Dobie. Texas City had the most unbelievably intimidating guy I ever played against. He was a year older than me - Vernon Crawford. He went on to play at FSU and then the Patriots. He's astonishingly now a HC for a HS somewhere in Washington, I think. A leader of men who I figured was bound for prison. He lined up to cover me during a game my junior year and stood about 6'4", 240 as a senior. He told me "I remember you from last year, little whiteboy, I'm going to kill you and fuck your mother", and I believed him. And I wasn't little. Later that same year, I'm lined up next to him on the free throw line in a district game at Texas City's gym. He literally punched me in the face and took the rebound - no whistle. Straight up face punch. I guess there was just something about me that pissed that dude off. 

I played varsity against ballers that went to the NBA on the bball court, a ton of them, and did the same in baseball. In baseball, I was fortunate to be in an age group that wound up being elite and left the Houston area regularly to play nationally/internationally at ages 13-18, so I played against damn near anyone you can name that made it to the MLB who played elite youth ball or HS ball in Texas from 1989-1994. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chesthair said:

With:  Barry Foster (arkie, steelers).  However, i did play "against" him a lot when we went O vs D.  He trucked my ass a few times and i still feel the pain.  He was as big in high school as he was in the pros.  Our team had a handful of future pro's (Duncanville).

Against: Joe Bowden (LB, N. Mesquite, played 9 yrs in the pros).  I played against a lot of future pro's but that dude was the one i remember most. 

If we did a baseball one, i would have a page to myself.  I played in the hayday of DFW baseball (late 80's, early 90's). 

We must have played against each other in football and baseball.  I can't believe Duncanville didn't win state in 86.  We played Plano too, and Dville easily had the better athletes.  Foster was a beast.  David Neid was great and almost untouchable in baseball.  In college played against Johnny Bailey, Heath Sherman, John Randle (NFL HOF), Pierce Holt, Eric Lynch, and with about 10-12 guys who at least had a cup of coffee in the league...including Curtis Buckley one of the biggest hitters in the NFL through the 90's.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Galveston Ball, at one point in the late 90's/early 2000's held the title of having "the most players in currently in the NFL from a single HS". I think one of the Miami schools usually holds that. Anyway, they had badasses up and down the roster for years. Hampton was the most dominant of all of them, but they had a ton of unbelievable guys. 

Before Clear Brook/Springs/Falls, it was just Clear Creek and Clear Lake, and they had a concentration of stud talent. Both schools had some standout talent that went on to play D-1 and the pros. I played personally against Steve McKinney and frustrated the shit out of his aggie ass as a crab-blocking A-back for an entire game my sophomore year. He played DE and was a known badass and basically just wanted to maul me straight up, but I only weighed 190 lbs and wasn't stupid. He was a whiny bitch on the field and has proven to be one in real life later on as well. Lake had a ton of talent including guys that went to ND, LSU, ATM, Texas, you name it. 

At the time, the district also included Texas City (they were 5A once) and the Pasadena schools including Dobie. Texas City had the most unbelievably intimidating guy I ever played against. He was a year older than me - Vernon Crawford. He went on to play at FSU and then the Patriots. He's astonishingly now a HC for a HS somewhere in Washington, I think. A leader of men who I figured was bound for prison. He lined up to cover me during a game my junior year and stood about 6'4", 240 as a senior. He told me "I remember you from last year, little whiteboy, I'm going to kill you and fuck your mother", and I believed him. And I wasn't little. Later that same year, I'm lined up next to him on the free throw line in a district game at Texas City's gym. He literally punched me in the face and took the rebound - no whistle. Straight up face punch. I guess there was just something about me that pissed that dude off. 

I played varsity against ballers that went to the NBA on the bball court, a ton of them, and did the same in baseball. In baseball, I was fortunate to be in an age group that wound up being elite and left the Houston area regularly to play nationally/internationally at ages 13-18, so I played against damn near anyone you can name that made it to the MLB who played elite youth ball or HS ball in Texas from 1989-1994. 

I was the 100 meter champ in my tiny district. Us and St Thomas. And we smoked most of the other private schools in relays too. And then they trucked us down to the Ball / Texas City / Lamarque district for a track meet. Humbling. Cruel, even. 

1 hour ago, ETHorn said:

We must have played against each other in football and baseball.  I can't believe Duncanville didn't win state in 86.  We played Plano too, and Dville easily had the better athletes.  Foster was a beast.  David Neid was great and almost untouchable in baseball.  In college played against Johnny Bailey, Heath Sherman, John Randle (NFL HOF), Pierce Holt, Eric Lynch, and with about 10-12 guys who at least had a cup of coffee in the league...including Curtis Buckley one of the biggest hitters in the NFL through the 90's.

Where did you go to school?

Yes, our football (foster, ray crockett, keeton smiley, etc.)and baseball teams 84-87'ish should have produced at least 1 champ (i guess the 90 baseball team counted).  Nied was a childhood buddy of mine, I grew up in duncanville as a kid...we had some badass little league teams.  Greg Ostertag was my neighbor growing up.  

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I was the 100 meter champ in my tiny district. Us and St Thomas. And we smoked most of the other private schools in relays too. And then they trucked us down to the Ball / Texas City / Lamarque district for a track meet. Humbling. Cruel, even. 

Sounds familiar. I was fast in my suburban school. At UT I was friendly with Metcalf and Tony Jones. I raced those guys and Jones absolutely smoked me.

Sometimes, athletes surprise me. I could dunk pretty well at 5'9.5". However, I played some pickup ball with a guy shorter than me and he was throwing down 360s and windmills. Freaking amazing.

1 hour ago, chesthair said:

Where did you go to school?

Yes, our football (foster, ray crockett, keeton smiley, etc.)and baseball teams 84-87'ish should have produced at least 1 champ (i guess the 90 baseball team counted).  Nied was a childhood buddy of mine, I grew up in duncanville as a kid...we had some badass little league teams.  Greg Ostertag was my neighbor growing up.  

Irving High.  You guys beat us 52-21 I think.  Also, I think you had another really good pitcher...Moskrey maybe?

Kalen Thornton. I had to play against that beast for 4 straight years. The crowning achievement of my HS career was knocking him out of a JV game with a blindside block my freshman year (yes, he played varsity too). Not suprisingly, I’m fairly certain that same play resulted in my only undiagnosed concussion. 

In 1997, I lit up Quentin Griffin (OU midget, briefly with Broncos) for a 5 yard loss on a pitch option play mostly due to a poor decision by his QB. He took it to the house on the next play. Our team sucked. 

He put 6 TDs on us in 2000. I had some choice shit talking directed towards Reed Boyd and his friends that day. 

On 5/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, BayouBill said:

My dad played against the Tyler Rose...when I asked him about what it was like when I was a kid I'll never forget how he just laughed and didnt really say anything else

Heh . . . a guy who went to my church starred at LB for Mizzou in the mid-late 1970's.  He came back to our HS for some kind of motivational speech and took questions afterwards.  Some kid asked him "what was it like to tackle Billy Sims?"

His answer:  "I have no idea."

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 12:26 AM, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Casey Hampton was the most dominant high school player I ever played against. By played against, I was a sophomore on the bench and watched him violently abuse out best lineman by throwing him 5 yards into the backfield every play. That guy later played div 1 (kind of) at NM St.

Best guy I actually played against was Quentin Jammer. That Angleton team was dogshit. It was Jammer and a bunch of slappys.

waterboy-the-di.jpg?w=816