Bacon and egg tacos

dingleberryswitzer

Bacon and egg tacos   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Diced or strips?

• Dice that shit and mix with the eggs
    • Big fatty strips of bacon

Do you like the bacon diced and mixed with the eggs ?  Or just scrambled eggs with a strip of bacon on top?

I get pissed when the bacon doesn’t break apart (undercooked)  and I take a bite and the entire strip comes out of the taco. But sometimes if it’s diced up I feel like they short change you because you can’t tell if there’s an entire piece in there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Do you like the bacon diced and mixed with the eggs ?  Or just scrambled eggs with a strip of bacon on top?

I get pissed when the bacon doesn’t break apart (undercooked)  and I take a bite and the entire strip comes out of the taco. But sometimes if it’s diced up I feel like they short change you because you can’t tell if there’s an entire piece in there. 

1 has a higher ceiling and a lower floor.  I’ve been to places where it seems like they throw store-bought bacon bits in there, but if done properly it’s better.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is less about how the bacon enters the taco than how the bacon is cooked. If properly done, the bacon will crumble with each bite as a strip or you can pre crumble. If you undercook the bacon, you won’t be eating the taco either way because you would have killed yourself out of shame. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

This is less about how the bacon enters the taco than how the bacon is cooked. If properly done, the bacon will crumble with each bite as a strip or you can pre crumble. If you undercook the bacon, you won’t be eating the taco either way because you would have killed yourself out of shame. 

This. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There was a shaggy thread for this. 

At a restaurant, if you get crumbles, you are getting the cheapest bacon they can buy from their distributor. Comes in a case of four 10lb bags. They aren’t cooking up thick cut fatty bacon to then crumble, you getting the scraps.  (Think what’s left over after McDonalds gets their cut)

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If you’re eating an egg and bacon BT then you’re in gringoville. Chorizo or barbacoa for the win. 

False.

No authentic, self respecting place will just slap a strip of bacon on scrambled eggs and roll up the tortilla. The results of this poll are troubling. How could people favor such a lazy ass method of making breakfast tacos? You have to get the flavors all mixed up. 

Grew up in the RGV and during my sports days are a bacon egg taco almost every morning. Diced or GTFO. Never saw strips until I moved north.

Proper procedure: Fry the bacon to just short of crispy then rough dice. Cook the scrambled eggs in the bacon grease and stir in the diced bacon. Eat with plenty of salsa and/or pico de gallo. That way the eggs are all bacony and the whole thing is the same temperature. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 12:01 PM, hookemATL said:

You’ve never met Pato del Muerto, have you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Crack eggs in bowl, add salt and pepper, and scramble.

Chop bacon when still raw.

Cook bacon low and slow in cast iron skillet.

When bacon is cooked to your liking pour eggs onto skillet over bacon pieces.

No, you do not drain the grease beforehand.

Cook until eggs are done.

Scoop into flour tortilla, and add any cheese or salsa you desire.

Devour.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/11/2021 at 12:01 PM, hookemATL said:

This is the correct answer

It seems like most of the Houston taco trucks/joints mix the bacon with the eggs. I suspect this is much cheaper and easier to prepare. 

I still picked bacon strips. A good crunchy piece of hotel quality bacon on a taco is delightful. Either way, I’m good with extra spicy green sauce. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

Crack eggs in bowl, add salt and pepper, and scramble.

Chop bacon when still raw.

Cook bacon low and slow in cast iron skillet.

When bacon is cooked to your liking pour eggs onto skillet over bacon pieces.

No, you do not drain the grease beforehand.

Cook until eggs are done.

Scoop into flour tortilla, and add any cheese or salsa you desire.

Devour.

This guy gets it!

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The only way to do a bacon and egg taco wrong is to make them with a damn flour tortilla [duck for incoming fire!].  Heavily grilled corn tortillas make for a much better taco experience.

You're allowed to be wrong here. No big deal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The only way to do a bacon and egg taco wrong is to make them with a damn flour tortilla [duck for incoming fire!].  Heavily grilled corn tortillas make for a much better taco experience.

Yeah, you're getting negged, corn tortillas on breakfast tacos is ass, my dude.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:01 AM, hookemATL said:

100% this. And it's also why whenever I order a bacon and egg, I'm also getting an insurance taco like a bean and cheese or potato and egg in case they fuck up the bacon. Same thing if you can't trust a place's carne guisada to be funky fatty chewy gristle. Insure your car. Insure your house. Insure your health. Insure your taco.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm fine with them either way.  I PREFER lots of bacon, preferably kind of thick, chopped up and cooked until reasonably crisp, and mixed in with the eggs.  But I'm also happy to get a taco from Taco Shack, where they use good, fluffy scrambled eggs and top it with a strip of bacon.  Because either way.....there's bacon.

Oh....and flour tortillas.  This is the way.  We are adjacent to northern Mexico, which is mostly flour tortilla country.  It's the traditional base. And they hold up to the robust challenges of a breakfast taco.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:17 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

On 9/15/2021 at 7:30 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, you're getting negged, corn tortillas on breakfast tacos is ass, my dude.

He is from Baja Oklahoma so give him a break.  If your ordering "bacon" and not tocino your doing it wrong.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:01 AM, hookemATL said:

This.  Had bacon strip, egg, and cheese tacos this morning on way out the door to soccer games with the kids.  Extra crispy. Nothing against the chop at all, and do that all the time, but crispy strip does very nicely.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:17 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Shit I like a flour tortilla with a corn tortilla inside of that.

Extra points if you melt cheese between them before you load it with eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc......

Edited by Steamboat1874

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

CAn we get a high level framework for these tacos.

I'll do you one better:  here is the recipe we came across and that my wife initlally used (and has since perfected):

https://www.macheesmo.com/breakfast-tacos/

Biggest takeaway from the recipe what has been mentioned in this thread before:  dice up the bacon, fry it in the pan and put the eggs in with all of the bacon grease.  

Also, I don't put potatoes in my breakfast tacos.  Potatoes are for suckers.

Enjoy

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, mdleast said:

I'll do you one better:  here is the recipe we came across and that my wife initlally used (and has since perfected):

https://www.macheesmo.com/breakfast-tacos/

Biggest takeaway from the recipe what has been mentioned in this thread before:  dice up the bacon, fry it in the pan and put the eggs in with all of the bacon grease.  

Also, I don't put potatoes in my breakfast tacos.  Potatoes are for suckers.

Enjoy

You wife's taco looks much better than what they throw together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll also throw in that when you are making these (as opposed to a normal bacon and eggs breakfast where I eat leaner, less caloric center cut bacon from wherever), go for higher quality bacon.  For these we used a dry cured hickory bacon from Central Market.  Very tasty and way more calories (and flavor) than than the normal bacon we get).

@immamac, I can see the quote button and reply to post this thread but not in some in DT and other places. Also, when I tried to DM you, it says I am allowed 0 messages in a day. I hope you can DM me with what is going on. I did a couple of contact admin messages but am seeing no admin responses. What? You have a life outside of here? No wai!   Fixxy fixxy soon please. I feel less than human if I can' t reply to posts nor quote assholes in all of Surly.