The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

question I never got a good answer on from the old place - is there anyplace in Austin that's particularly good for repairs?  The clasp on the bracelet of my speedy isn't functioning correctly (pops open with even a little bit of pressure), and the guy at Throckmorton's couldn't figure out why I thought that was wrong. Russell Korman?

Wow, thanks for the DavidSW recommendation.  I can buy from him with full factory warranty for about tree-fiddy more.  I'm quite OK with that premium.  Jomashop was kind enough to cancel since I just ordered this morning.

Cabo, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.

39 minutes ago, Damor said:

Wow, thanks for the DavidSW recommendation.  I can buy from him with full factory warranty for about tree-fiddy more.  I'm quite OK with that premium.  Jomashop was kind enough to cancel since I just ordered this morning.

Cabo, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.

Always glad to help.  As far as your offer, that is certainly very kind.  However, so the rest of my Brethren can share in my reward, some pics of your wife tits post her would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

question I never got a good answer on from the old place - is there anyplace in Austin that's particularly good for repairs?  The clasp on the bracelet of my speedy isn't functioning correctly (pops open with even a little bit of pressure), and the guy at Throckmorton's couldn't figure out why I thought that was wrong. Russell Korman?

I don't have any firsthand experience, but in this position I would call Bernard Watch, ask if they repair Omegas, then when they certainly say no...ask for a referral.

• 2 weeks later...

So as a bit of an interim follow-up, anybody ever travel with a gift watch?

I have acquired via davidSW (thanks @cabowabo!) said desired watch for my special lady friend.  We're going to be at a (nice) resort in Mexico for her birthday, at which time I was planning to give it to her.  This entails bringing a (nicely wrapped) watch through TSA groping/screening (on my carry-on), then through customs in Mexico, and finally back (and most easily, I assume) on her wrist to the US.

So what could possibly go wrong here?  My most likely concern is that TSA flags it on our exit and unwraps it, ruining the whole surprise (I am secretly filled with righteous rage at this point, since fuck the TSA).  Customs inspections in Mexico (CUN) is almost literally a coin flip (button press) for inspection -- and I'm assuming if I have some documentation of ownership, I should be OK?  I'm least worried about return to the US, because it'll be on her wrist, obviously with no surprise left to screw up, and her name's on the warranty card which is of US origin.

Any experience?

I have acquired via davidSW (thanks [mention=288]cabowabo[/mention]!) said desired watch for my special lady friend.  We're going to be at a (nice) resort in Mexico for her birthday, at which time I was planning to give it to her.  This entails bringing a (nicely wrapped) watch through TSA groping/screening (on my carry-on), then through customs in Mexico, and finally back (and most easily, I assume) on her wrist to the US.

So what could possibly go wrong here?  My most likely concern is that TSA flags it on our exit and unwraps it, ruining the whole surprise (I am secretly filled with righteous rage at this point, since fuck the TSA).  Customs inspections in Mexico (CUN) is almost literally a coin flip (button press) for inspection -- and I'm assuming if I have some documentation of ownership, I should be OK?  I'm least worried about return to the US, because it'll be on her wrist, obviously with no surprise left to screw up, and her name's on the warranty card which is of US origin.

Any experience?
CUN doesn't do the red light green light anymore in the new terminal.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Going on a honeymoon next spring which will take us to Switzerland among other places.  Fiancee just mentioned that I should get a watch while I'm there.  I don't really disagree.  Kinda thinking about Tudors - I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing a Rolex in my current role (swr engineering manager), and I don't think I'd want to spend that amount at this point anyways.  The pepsi GMT Tudor is interesting, just a tad high for what I'm thinking about at this point, but I'm far enough out and just got a healthy enough promotion that I could make a point to save for it specifically and not have it be a big deal/interrupt other goals.  But even that might be a little garish maybe a Black Bay 36 would be interesting?  Or I guess I could think about an Omega (have a speedmaster).  Is there another Swiss brand I should think about?  The Tudors are generally well received, I think.

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Going on a honeymoon next spring which will take us to Switzerland among other places.  Fiancee just mentioned that I should get a watch while I'm there.  I don't really disagree.  Kinda thinking about Tudors - I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing a Rolex in my current role (swr engineering manager), and I don't think I'd want to spend that amount at this point anyways.  The pepsi GMT Tudor is interesting, just a tad high for what I'm thinking about at this point, but I'm far enough out and just got a healthy enough promotion that I could make a point to save for it specifically and not have it be a big deal/interrupt other goals.  But even that might be a little garish maybe a Black Bay 36 would be interesting?  Or I guess I could think about an Omega (have a speedmaster).  Is there another Swiss brand I should think about?  The Tudors are generally well received, I think.

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/navitimer/8/automatic-41/A17314101B1X1/

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Its really a personal preference thing. Get something you want to wear.

This.  Be sure to try them on too, to make sure they're comfortable on your wrist.  Specs and such (lug to lug, diameter, etc) are great for getting a general idea of the watches you're looking for, but sometimes they just feel right or wrong.

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Look at IWC. Pilot or Aquatimer could fall into that price range. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

1. Nomos.

2. Get whatever you want.  If you're not <25, no point in being self-conscious

3. It's nice to buy stuff on a trip, especially from country of origin, but in this example there is virtually zero savings in buying there.  

4. Unless you buy pre-owned, like found through chrono24.com in which case a local dealer may have a good proce

Yeah I wouldn't expect there to be any price difference - if anything the opposite, since I may buy new what I otherwise might look for used (depending on what I was looking for).  But watches can be sentimental and I like the idea of picking one up on our honeymoon.  Thinking about it more I do pretty much want the Tudor GMT.  We'll see if that sticks for most of a year.  And if the marriage sticks for 10 maybe I'll get the Rolex.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 5:33 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah I wouldn't expect there to be any price difference - if anything the opposite, since I may buy new what I otherwise might look for used (depending on what I was looking for).  But watches can be sentimental and I like the idea of picking one up on our honeymoon.  Thinking about it more I do pretty much want the Tudor GMT.  We'll see if that sticks for most of a year.  And if the marriage sticks for 10 maybe I'll get the Rolex.

latest?cb=20150726040336

On 6/2/2018 at 12:06 PM, Celery Man said:

Great place to try on and review a bunch of different watches there - but buying, you'll overpay.  Got my Seamaster in Austin (Bernardwatch) and my Explorere II in HK.  There are a ton of places to get these watches for less than paying direct retail prices.   You just need to know what you are looking for.  

And BTW, Bernard has a few Black Bay models at really good prices:

ot. 

• Like 1

Dumb question amnesty: do authorized dealers (specifically Omega ones) have the same prices everywhere? Have pretty much decided that I'm going to pick up a Seamaster 15,000 gauss, but the price at the Omega boutique in the Galleria is outrageous. Any point in shopping around?

56 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Dumb question amnesty: do authorized dealers (specifically Omega ones) have the same prices everywhere? Have pretty much decided that I'm going to pick up a Seamaster 15,000 gauss, but the price at the Omega boutique in the Galleria is outrageous. Any point in shopping around?

Definitely shop around.  You'll pay the most at the boutique...shop at a jewelry store if you don't want to buy online.  You should also haggle and negotiate.  Start at 25 to 30 percent off the retail price.  Bring cash and ask for the manager.  Sales associates don't have the power to negotiate. 

You can also look online at a gray market dealer where you can get a much better price on a brand new watch.  The only difference is you may be giving up an Omega (or other brand) warranty for a dealer warranty.  Most dealer warranties are the same as the manufacturer.  Gray market dealers are legit jewelry stores and watch dealers, they just aren't authorized dealers of a particular brand (like Omega)....but they may be an authorized dealer of another brand.  Omega and other brand manufacturers (and even authorized dealer retailers) dump watches to non-authorized dealers (gray market dealers) to get rid of them.  That's why gray market dealers can sell for much less.  I have purchased several watches from gray market dealers (both online and in person) and never had a problem.  Hope this helps.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, Damor said:

I have acquired via davidSW (thanks @cabowabo!) said desired watch for my special lady friend.  We're going to be at a (nice) resort in Mexico for her birthday, at which time I was planning to give it to her.  This entails bringing a (nicely wrapped) watch through TSA groping/screening (on my carry-on), then through customs in Mexico, and finally back (and most easily, I assume) on her wrist to the US.

Any experience?

if it is a Rolex there are certain issues/conditions to be aware of when coming into US. I can't remember all of them and they may have changed but you need to do some quick research to avoid issues.

Let's take this in another direction for a second.  Have a number of nice Swiss watches.  Now I want to look on the other end of the spectrum.  I need a robust watch for travelling, ranch work, and other assorted mayhem.  Something with a lower profile than the G-shock.  Like to stay under $200 generally.  Looking at the Suunto Core All black.  Any experiences:  good or bad?  Any other suggestions?  Also looking at the Timex Expedition T46912 Shock.  Less concerned with GPS & bluetooth capabilities.  Wife has an Apple watch.  Not a fan.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Let's take this in another direction for a second.  Have a number of nice Swiss watches.  Now I want to look on the other end of the spectrum.  I need a robust watch for travelling, ranch work, and other assorted mayhem.  Something with a lower profile than the G-shock.  Like to stay under $200 generally.  Looking at the Suunto Core All black.  Any experiences:  good or bad?  Any other suggestions?  Also looking at the Timex Expedition T46912 Shock.  Less concerned with GPS & bluetooth capabilities.  Wife has an Apple watch.  Not a fan.  

I like the Seiko diver watches for a cheap, durable, decent looking watch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah and for less than $200 you don't lose your shit if it gets a scratch like an expensive  ($2k and up) Swiss watch.

Yeah, too late.....hence this new direction...sigh.....least it was on the band and not the bezel.  I did have a nice tourettes/earmuff's moments with the kids around.