The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 10/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, AUinHsv said:

When my Sub needed work I just drove up to the Rolex Center in Dallas for a complete rebuild.

How much did it run you?  I remember it was like 300-500 back when I bought my watch.  I've heard its now up to over a grand.  I don't want a full service because I heard they'll replace my dial and stuff.  

About 800 in 2015.  As far as requiring a dial that is usually not correct. I have a semi vintage Sub (25 years old) with the older tritium dial and hands and they honored the do not replace.  My understanding is they may refuse to service if the older dial could cause issues - ie if it is flaking particles off from the old paint they will not put it back on. I chose them because mine had totally froze up and I wanted it back to original specs

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

About 800 in 2015.  As far as requiring a dial that is usually not correct. I have a semi vintage Sub (25 years old) with the older tritium dial and hands and they honored the do not replace.  My understanding is they may refuse to service if the older dial could cause issues - ie if it is flaking particles off from the old paint they will not put it back on. I chose them because mine had totally froze up and I wanted it back to original specs

I'm in the same boat.  My 28 year old 16610 stopped working and I'm assuming its the mainspring, as the hairsprings usually last forever.  It's completely original and I don't want to change anything on it - so I'm probably going to just have it serviced with a reputable watchmaker.  I dont want the bracelet or case rebrushed/polished or really anything other than the repair.

I took my IWC off last night and the case back fell off as I was sliding it over my hand.  I pulled the warranty card and it looks like it was only a 2 year warranty and the date on the card is in 2012.  Should I send it in to IWC or find an authorized dealer around Houston or Dallas to fix it?

40 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I took my IWC off last night and the case back fell off as I was sliding it over my hand.  I pulled the warranty card and it looks like it was only a 2 year warranty and the date on the card is in 2012.  Should I send it in to IWC or find an authorized dealer around Houston or Dallas to fix it?

Can't you just snap or screw the case back back in place.

6 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

It's glass and it looks like the "gasket" that set behind it came out too - I'm afraid it's going to shatter if I push on it too hard.

I would go to Zadok in Houston if you are here.  They have an inhouse guy that could probably fix it. 

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

I'll be in Houston next week and will go by Zadok - looks like it's not too far from my office.  Thanks for the rec.

Any idea if it's a major fix for a display back or if it's something that should be able to do pretty quick?

There is a tool they use thats like a little press with rubber grommets on both sides (to fit the size of the crystal/gasket and the caseback.  Crystals are usually just press fit with that tool.  Should be a quick job.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, krevo said:

I'm in the same boat.  My 28 year old 16610 stopped working and I'm assuming its the mainspring, as the hairsprings usually last forever.  It's completely original and I don't want to change anything on it - so I'm probably going to just have it serviced with a reputable watchmaker.  I dont want the bracelet or case rebrushed/polished or really anything other than the repair.

I got my Submariner (circa 1989) serviced by Rik Dietel in Florida for $600.  He did a good job and is highly respected on the Rolex forum.  http://www.timecareinc.com

On 4/26/2019 at 10:52 AM, huge said:

Glashutte Original perpetual calendar on Massdrop today.  $8700

That seems like a really good price.

ZVuUCKcZQHqFcuroHFHP_pcs.png?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=fill&w=820&h=547&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=1

It's back at $6,900.  It has a massdrop warranty but not manufacturer.  I'm kind of a newbie but is it THAT big of a concern?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

It's back at $6,900.  It has a massdrop warranty but not manufacturer.  I'm kind of a newbie but is it THAT big of a concern?  

The warranty would never make the decision for me.  But I am also kind of an idiot.

Can anyone bring me up to speed on the Tudor models that are being built with in house movements as opposed to ETAs?  Seems like a lot of people are offloading their recent Tudors with ETA to get the same watch with the inhouse movement.  I really want the blue Pelagos, and a Black Bay. 

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
5 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:
ok you guys steered me right in buying a GMT on the old sight. what should i buy next? 20K budget

VC Overseas seems to be popular.

who is the grey market guy? or should I say hook ups? 

thank brother in advance.

Edited by Errestaurants

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty sure it was just Black, "Coke", "Pepsi", and "Root Beer" on the two tone for the 16710. I think the Batman was introduced as the first two colored bezel in the ceramic era after Rolex initially said it couldn't be done with ceramic. 

IMG_0795.JPG

2013 - 19 for the blnr (Batman)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, Welshy said:

This is my grail. It may just be too much. 55 IMG_5299.JPGfor a watch is hard to justify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's justified if you have the coin, and won't miss it.  It's a truly stunning piece of horological brilliance.  That style is also a staple of GO so maybe a little less coin could get you something very similar in style, and quality.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, HookEm said:

Where is the best place in Austin to get a Rolex repaired? Looking to get my wife's datejust fixed up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, AUinHsv said:

When my Sub needed work I just drove up to the Rolex Center in Dallas for a complete rebuild.

I’d recommend going directly to Rolex.  

PP is always the choice imo.  Even paying some mark up - usually go up more and you’ve made a solid purchase.  Again, that’s if it’s in price range like it seemed to be for Doug E Fresh.  

At least VC will get it right even if it means full replacement...

5th anniversary coming up in January and wife wants to buy me a watch.

debating between the omega speedy pro (moonwatch) or the iwc portugieser chrono with the blue dial.

i already have a sinn 104 (black dial), sinn 356 (copper), and nomos tangomat (white).

thoughts? leaning towards the iwc port since that's been one I've wanted forever. any recs on where to pick up one? is there even much of a price difference between the boutiques in austin/dallas/houston (I'm in Austin)?

33 minutes ago, lazytexasfan said:

5th anniversary coming up in January and wife wants to buy me a watch.

debating between the omega speedy pro (moonwatch) or the iwc portugieser chrono with the blue dial.

i already have a sinn 104 (black dial), sinn 356 (copper), and nomos tangomat (white).

thoughts? leaning towards the iwc port since that's been one I've wanted forever. any recs on where to pick up one? is there even much of a price difference between the boutiques in austin/dallas/houston (I'm in Austin)?

IWC port-o-geeseey for the win !!  Iconic, and on my bucket list.