The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

2 hours ago, lazytexasfan said:

5th anniversary coming up in January and wife wants to buy me a watch.

debating between the omega speedy pro (moonwatch) or the iwc portugieser chrono with the blue dial.

i already have a sinn 104 (black dial), sinn 356 (copper), and nomos tangomat (white).

thoughts? leaning towards the iwc port since that's been one I've wanted forever. any recs on where to pick up one? is there even much of a price difference between the boutiques in austin/dallas/houston (I'm in Austin)?

L Majors in Tarrytown carries IWC 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:50 AM, jofus said:

I need this watch - absolutely perfect birthday gift for my dad. It's not on the CoOp website, it's not on Stowa's website ... anyone have any insight? The googlez are no help either.

12 hours ago, Thujone said:

Gracias. I've looked and looked and always come back to the speedmaster. I was going to order online but wanted to see a 42mm on my wrist. Used to 38mm which always felt a bit small...but you never know. Second I put it on I knew it was all good. Looked at a few of their giant hulk divers just for fun. I don't know how anyone wears those things. They are gorgeous but just absolute units.

Yep people love the PO look until they put it on their wrist and realize its like a hockeypuck.

Wear your new watch to the moon and back in good health.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Someone finally admitting that a watch is too damn big.

Well the trend has been bigger, so there's that.  But, yeah there are stoopid big watches out there that just look cartoonish.  My go to size is 43-44, but I have a 48 mm Nav B Uhr reproduction of a 1941 Luftwaffe pilots watch, that doesn't read stupid huge at all IMO of course.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, The Royal We said:

My Portugieser is ready for pick up tomorrow after going in for the case back falling off.  Zadok's couldn't do it in-house so it had to go to the IWC authorized repair shop in Dallas.  It's not an $8,000 brake job, but the repair will cost more than any other watch I've ever bought.  Good times!

Another reason why I dont care for see thru casebacks.  If you dont mind me asking, how much did they charge you to press fit a piece of sapphire into a steel ring?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Well, I cracked the caseback at some point when I put it back in the box to prevent the caseback from cracking... and they went ahead and serviced it since it was already opened, so I think I'm going to be out ~$850.

Fuck.  

Thanks man.  I looked at watches for 3-4 years before finally pulling the trigger.  I started off wanting the copper faced Sinn, went through a Panerai phase, almost bought a Omega GMT and finally landed on the IWC.  I started with a Maratac mid pilot, moved to a SKX 007 and then the IWC, all because of this f'n thread.  Thanks a-holes.

I like the looks of that Glashutte.  I'd like to have something with a moon phase at some point.

• Like 4

Need a watch rec, 16 year old nephew mentioned this weekend he wanted a "nice" watch. Hes starting to  dress  nicer/trendier, currently wears a g shock looking for something in the 300-500 range. Im not a watch guy so no idea if something decent is available in that range.

49 minutes ago, Smax said:

Need a watch rec, 16 year old nephew mentioned this weekend he wanted a "nice" watch. Hes starting to  dress  nicer/trendier, currently wears a g shock looking for something in the 300-500 range. Im not a watch guy so no idea if something decent is available in that range.

Tissot or Hamilton or Seiko

3 hours ago, Smax said:

Yep.

https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-mens-watch-h64455133.html

80 hour power reserve?  Can that be correct?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 11:35 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah there are several Swatch group brands that have those 80 hour movements in their watches now.   Not really something I thought about until I got this Black Bay with the new movement w/ 70+ hour reserve, and now it's damn near a dealbreaker if it *doesn't* last that long. 

Set it down on Friday evening, be a disgusting lazy fuck all weekend and not leave the house again until Monday morning...the watch is still running.  Put it on and walk out the door.  No need to be swerving all over the road like an asshole trying to set the damn thing on the way to work anymore.

E:  Oh BTW for the Ball + diver fans: 

DM2118B-SCJ-BK_1-700x1075.jpg

They've got their gas tubes under both the dial and bezel now. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/Original-DM2118B-SCJ-BK

It's chunky at something like 14.5mm thick (40mm diameter) though.  The crystal is domed, as you can see from the photos/distortion, but that's still fat.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Like 2