The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Daddy likey.  That is sexy as hell.  What's MSRP?  Japan only or is it coming to the states?

$12,500 ish.  I think they only made 650.   I'd assume you could get one in the states. The backside is the money shot though

google grand seiko Godzilla 

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Just slightly thinner than the 4K seadweller, also at 40mm. 

Oh yeah, true.  Those are like 15, right?  Rolex is a different league though.  I've actually got one that's even more of a chonker than the Hydrocarbon Original up there, the Stormchaser Pro at 15.5ish, but it's shaped in a way where it doesn't necessarily look like it (unlike my black bay, which is just a slab side, and is the only part of that watch that I don't like).  It's also kind of a "flat" case, with the lugs being pretty straight and all that, plus 42mm, which is something that might work for this guy:

16 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Maybe it's because i have larger wrists but the shorter lugs just bug me on all watches.

https://wornandwound.com/review/ball-fireman-storm-chaser-pro-review/

52mm lug to lug, and they don't curve much at all.  Still might not be big enough overall though.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Maybe it's because i have larger wrists but the shorter lugs just bug me on all watches.

I think you're right, as I've got small wrists and lug-to-lug distance makes a lot of watches not fit me, even if dial size is reasonable. Consider yourself lucky.

I have an offer to trade my Sea-Dweller 16600 plus a little cash on my end for a used but in great condition IWC Portuguese Auto 7 day like The Royal We posted above. They also have an IWC Big Pilot there. The SD sit in the safe. If I want to wear a Rolex, I always pull out the Pepsi GMT. I have always lusted after that IWC and have too many sports watches but no real dressier watch. Am I nuts?

As an aside, just looked at the old receipt in the box for the SD. I paid $3995 in 2004. These things got expensive over the past 15 years.. 

15 hours ago, topochico said:

I have an offer to trade my Sea-Dweller 16600 plus a little cash on my end for a used but in great condition IWC Portuguese Auto 7 day like The Royal We posted above. They also have an IWC Big Pilot there. The SD sit in the safe. If I want to wear a Rolex, I always pull out the Pepsi GMT. I have always lusted after that IWC and have too many sports watches but no real dressier watch. Am I nuts?

As an aside, just looked at the old receipt in the box for the SD. I paid $3995 in 2004. These things got expensive over the past 15 years.. 

If you have the GMT I would do that in a minute.  I think the Porto is more interesting than the Big Pilot.  I have the Pilot Chrono, love it.

• Like 2

That is quite the score. The style is a bit over the top, but the price sounds like it was right. Would look good on a black NATO. 

Speaking of straps, I am in the process of getting that IWC I mentioned above. I started looking at replacing the current strap (depending on condition). Apparently California is banning Alligator amongst other exotic hide sales starting January 1, 2020. Louisiana is suing, but if it goes through, there are a lot of watch manufacturers that will be shifting to cow for the US market going forward. 

• Like 1

Recently obtained...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1764/4621/products/Watermarked26_2017-07-11-1251_2048x2048.JPG

GMT homage in PVD by Parnis

I'm not committed to having $100k worth of watches... But when I see a watch i like, I poke around for a Parnis for under $150 and I'm cool with it. I have a brand watch for those times. Otherwise, the homage is good for me.

Whoa cool thread; have never seen it tucked away in Hobbies :)

Question for you gents:

I have an older Rolex Datejust that is 36mm that is indeed a bit small for my taste, but it's a very classic size and it's fine. For my birthday my wife just bought me a Tag Chronograph (hasn't come in  yet) and I'm concerned to read the specs that it is a 43mm watch. That seems like a huge jump.

Are 43's common? I don't want some huge guido looking diesel watch on my wrist or are my concerns unfounded?

Edited by Rougarou

On 12/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, topochico said:

do it jewish GIF

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Whoa cool thread; have never seen it tucked away in Hobbies :)

Question for you gents:

I have an older Rolex Datejust that is 36mm that is indeed a bit small for my taste, but it's a very classic size and it's fine. For my birthday my wife just bought me a Tag Chronograph (hasn't come in  yet) and I'm concerned to read the specs that it is a 43mm watch. That seems like a huge jump.

Are 43's common? I don't want some huge guido looking diesel watch on my wrist or are my concerns unfounded?

Some people won't wear anything below 44 so it is really just a matter of taste and how it looks on your wrist.

Post the watch so we can judge it and you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, huge said:

Some people won't wear anything below 44 so it is really just a matter of taste and how it looks on your wrist.

Post the watch so we can judge it and you.

won't wear anything above a 44 you mean? Where I am from, a 38 is pretty much the gold standard and anything above that is considered a bit modern. A 40 mm to me seems like the right pitch, but as you said I haven't gotten it or put it on my wrist yet. My wrist isn't a big great fat persons wrist though, it's a fine piano playing wrist.

I'll post the pic as soon as possible for you to judge me :)

Edited by Rougarou

9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

won't wear anything above a 44 you mean? Where I am from, a 38 is pretty much the gold standard and anything above that is considered a bit modern. A 40 mm to me seems like the right pitch, but as you said I haven't gotten it or put it on my wrist yet. My wrist isn't a big great fat persons wrist though, it's a fine piano playing wrist.

I'll post the pic as soon as possible for you to judge me :)

I mean some wont wear anything UNDER 44

Just tell us which model.

Idk man, that gulf edition is nice and awesome and all but it’s humongous for my tastes. I like a bit more subtlety I guess. I’m not into the big watch trend of the aughts and teens I guess.

Thanks for sharing, even if it confirms my suspicions about my personal hang ups.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Idk man, that gulf edition is nice and awesome and all but it’s humongous for my tastes. I like a bit more subtlety I guess. I’m not into the big watch trend of the aughts and teens I guess.

Thanks for sharing, even if it confirms my suspicions about my personal hang ups.

The black face/bezel will decrease the visual presence. Coming from a 36, I see where it is a huge jump, but I think you will be surprised how quickly you will adjust to the 43 unless you have tiny wrists.

1 hour ago, topochico said:

The black face/bezel will decrease the visual presence. Coming from a 36, I see where it is a huge jump, but I think you will be surprised how quickly you will adjust to the 43 unless you have tiny wrists.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Just saw that the Apple Watch 5's are 44mm and those don't seem too crazy on folks...

Yeah, I have tried to get some pics that highlight the blue hands/markers. Zero success. I was torn between this watch and a Glashutte Original Sport Evo about 10 years ago. Went with the GO and while I really like it, I have always had this one in the back of my mind. Can't say that I would be willing to pay current new prices for it, but I am glad the situation developed for me to pull off this trade. 

This past year I add this 45mm Laco Friedrichshafen Bronze flieger, as well as nice little quartz diver from a small company in the UK named Scurfa. I put it on a black Nato with a yellow stripe.  The 45mm Laco sits nice on my 8" wrist. Wasn't sure I could wear one that large, but it is fine.  Wear both of these quite a bit.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

going to check out Scurfa right now.

I'd post picts of my modest collection, but so for I haven't been smart enough to do it.  In the meantime, use your imagination.  

Breitling Avenger 2 Seawolf, yellow face black rubber strap with buckle

Ulyses Nardin Maxi Diver blue face on blue rubber strap deployant clasp.

Deep Blue Alpha 500, Aqua face with orange numbers, Stainless band and clasp.  AKA as smurf watch.

Deep Blue Alpha 500 white face with green numbers, Stainless band and clasp.  my daily driver.  Soon be for sale.  Have boxes and papers for all of 'em.

Really been eye fucking a Terra Cielo Mare, Crono Serci Verdi Destro with a beige face.

Wish list, VC (anything), mainly Historiques.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

going to check out Scurfa right now.

I

Just a cool little company.  I wanted to add a quartz to my collection and also wanted a diver.  My mechanicals are all German but really didn't like the Sinn UT,  or more affordable Zeppelin or Bruno Solne.  Also wanted to stay away from Miyota movements (nothing wrong with them, just wanted to try and keep them Swiss or German), and Scurfa uses the Swiss Ronda 715  movement in their quartz watches.  Simply put, just one hell of watch for the price.  Bezel movement is smooth too.

Read up on Paul Scurfield's background as a deep sea diver and his objective in starting the company.   Of course the struggle will be that this D-1 "only" has a rating of 500 meters, so if it falls off or I go past 1,640 feet, it could leak.  It's a good think my pool is only 8' deep.....just saying....

On 1/21/2020 at 7:27 AM, Whitman said:

Wasn't sure I could wear one that large, but it is fine.  Wear both of these quite a bit.

A big part of watch fit is the lug spacing (lug-to-lug distance). A small dial with long lugs still requires a larger wrist to fit (Nomos is exhibit A here), while a big dial with short lugs (like your pictured watches) allows a large dial to fit a smaller wrist. Unfortunately, lug spacing hasn't gotten much attention from reviewers so it can be difficult to find photos or measurements of it at times.

Bought this for the Air Force son for Christmas.  "Death to spies" watch from a Russian watchmaker Molnija, that suplied the Soviet military, and security forces.  Heavy duty hand would top crown movement.  It came after Christmas so I've had it for about 2 weeks now.  Says it's 50mm, but looks more like 44-45 MM, display case back, not to big. The strap is weak, too thin. It needs something a bit beefier, maybe even black. That's his issue to deal with.  I think the movements are old stock (60's, 70's 80's) with new cases assembled in the 90's ??

It's kinda cool, and seems pretty solidly built. The hand wind mechanism is very robust, heavy duty, and keeps very accurate time for 30 hrs before it starts losing time.  Supposedly military issue built in the 90's ??  Not sure how much I believe, but still a fun watch for an Air Force Lieut. in the cyber world.  It's funny I've worn it a few times, and it gets comments. I get comments occasionally about a watch I might have on, but these were like a couple hours after wearing (just test driving)  it for the first time.

FullSizeRender-132.jpg

FullSizeRender-131.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitman said:

The Soviet watches are quite a rabbit hole.  I've got a Raketa moon phase NOS.  The real ones are what I call "shitastick" , and there are now also tons of Chinese counterfeits of them out there.  Hope you are doing well my friend.

Thanks, I know jack shit about the Russian watches, and had all those thoughts: Chinese counterfeits, is it cheap, and I am going to even get it ..

Yes, doing well, busy as hell, good to see you back on the site.