The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

I don’t buy it. He knew exactly what he had before he ever got there. That watch was iconic even back then because of both Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. And I would guess that is why he bought it. And he bought it after LeMans with McQueen came out.

Had they picked any other model, maybe. They made an error picking the most iconic of Rolex’s. In fact, in the internet age. Even those who have little knowledge about the brand, are familiar with the movie star connection to the Daytona.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:20 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I don’t buy it. He knew exactly what he had before he ever got there. That watch was iconic even back then because of both Paul Newman and Steve McQueen. And I would guess that is why he bought it. And he bought it after LeMans with McQueen came out.

Had they picked any other model, maybe. They made an error picking the most iconic of Rolex’s. In fact, in the internet age. Even those who have little knowledge about the brand, are familiar with the movie star connection to the Daytona.

Actually read an article that made more sense. It was not unworn. He bought it fro scuba diving and never used it for that but did wear it some. Still probably the best example of a slightly used Daytona

Some of y'all may remember me posting about my dad's Omega Moonwatch on the old board.  I've been trying to nail down details not only about the watch, but the story behind how my dad came to own it.  I wanted to get it all written down, so I pestered my dad for what he remembered.

First, I did figure out it's a 105.012-65, the same as Aldrin first wore on the moon.  I haven't opened it to know the serial number.

It was 1967.  My dad was 20 years old, just a few months out of the Army.  He hired on in Austin with IBM, and they sent him to Lexington, KY to train for a few months.  My dad had seen the watch in a jeweler's window with photos of astronauts.  It was being touted as the "Pilot's Watch."  He always wanted to learn how to fly, and wanted the watch, but couldn't afford it. 

On May 6, my dad and 2 other IBM guys jumped in a pickup and drove to Louisville to watch the Kentucky Derby.  They all ended up putting $5 on the same horse.  #7 Proud Clarion at 30:1 odds.  They each picked him for different reasons.  The guy who drove, noticed the rain hitting the windshield on the drive over was managing to get on the inside.  He counted 7 droplets that ran down the inside of the windshield.  Weird.  Whatever.  The other guy wore #7 in high school.  My dad picked the horse because the breeder was John Galbreath - our surname.

Proud Clarion not only won that day, but turned in the 3rd fastest time to that point in Derby history.  My dad won $150.

The 2 older guys each bought a bottle of Jack and they all drank on the way home.

That week my dad went back to the jeweler and bought that Omega for $167.  He wore it home later that month when they were flown home for a short vacation.  He wore it to the family reunion to show off.

I'm now trying to figure out the jeweler.  My dad said he remembers it being on a street that ran past the UK campus.  He said sort of like Guadalupe does with UT.  I found Joe Rosenberg Jewelers, which has been in downtown Lexington since 1896.  And it used to be located on a street that leads right past the campus.  I've reached out to them on Facebook.  Hopefully they can let me know if they were the only store in that area that could possibly fit the description. 

I posted pics on the old board.  It's nothing to look at.  He wore it for 25 years working at IBM and working around the house and on cars.  The glass is scratched up pretty good.  One little nick on the edge.  Bezel has lost some of the paint around the edges, but all the numbers are still visible.  It has the stainless bracelet, which looks pretty worn out.  Almost looks like it's stretched.

I know it's going to cost a lot to get this thing serviced.  Since it's staying in the family, I don't care too much about value, but I want to keep it as original as possible while being usable.  I think the glass should be replaced.  As it is, you can barely see the face of the watch.  The bracelet needs to be refurbished.  I don't want the bezel or hands touched.  The case is in good shape, too.

It'll be awhile before either of us can justify $1200 or whatever it's going to take.  But would y'all send it off to Switzerland?  Or can you suggest an Omega restoration pro here in the States?  Anything replaced on the watch (i.e. the glass), I want to keep.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Some of y'all may remember me posting about my dad's Omega Moonwatch on the old board.  I've been trying to nail down details not only about the watch, but the story behind how my dad came to own it.  I wanted to get it all written down, so I pestered my dad for what he remembered.

First, I did figure out it's a 105.012-65, the same as Aldrin first wore on the moon.  I haven't opened it to know the serial number.

It was 1967.  My dad was 20 years old, just a few months out of the Army.  He hired on in Austin with IBM, and they sent him to Lexington, KY to train for a few months.  My dad had seen the watch in a jeweler's window with photos of astronauts.  It was being touted as the "Pilot's Watch."  He always wanted to learn how to fly, and wanted the watch, but couldn't afford it. 

On May 6, my dad and 2 other IBM guys jumped in a pickup and drove to Louisville to watch the Kentucky Derby.  They all ended up putting $5 on the same horse.  #7 Proud Clarion at 30:1 odds.  They each picked him for different reasons.  The guy who drove, noticed the rain hitting the windshield on the drive over was managing to get on the inside.  He counted 7 droplets that ran down the inside of the windshield.  Weird.  Whatever.  The other guy wore #7 in high school.  My dad picked the horse because the breeder was John Galbreath - our surname.

Proud Clarion not only won that day, but turned in the 3rd fastest time to that point in Derby history.  My dad won $150.

The 2 older guys each bought a bottle of Jack and they all drank on the way home.

That week my dad went back to the jeweler and bought that Omega for $167.  He wore it home later that month when they were flown home for a short vacation.  He wore it to the family reunion to show off.

I'm now trying to figure out the jeweler.  My dad said he remembers it being on a street that ran past the UK campus.  He said sort of like Guadalupe does with UT.  I found Joe Rosenberg Jewelers, which has been in downtown Lexington since 1896.  And it used to be located on a street that leads right past the campus.  I've reached out to them on Facebook.  Hopefully they can let me know if they were the only store in that area that could possibly fit the description. 

I posted pics on the old board.  It's nothing to look at.  He wore it for 25 years working at IBM and working around the house and on cars.  The glass is scratched up pretty good.  One little nick on the edge.  Bezel has lost some of the paint around the edges, but all the numbers are still visible.  It has the stainless bracelet, which looks pretty worn out.  Almost looks like it's stretched.

I know it's going to cost a lot to get this thing serviced.  Since it's staying in the family, I don't care too much about value, but I want to keep it as original as possible while being usable.  I think the glass should be replaced.  As it is, you can barely see the face of the watch.  The bracelet needs to be refurbished.  I don't want the bezel or hands touched.  The case is in good shape, too.

It'll be awhile before either of us can justify $1200 or whatever it's going to take.  But would y'all send it off to Switzerland?  Or can you suggest an Omega restoration pro here in the States?  Anything replaced on the watch (i.e. the glass), I want to keep.

. Shit, that's a fantastic story.  Personally,  I would reach out to Omega

• Like 1

Agree, Omega tends to value the  history and originality of a watch more than Rolex (who will just replace everything and you will deal with it because...Rolex). With a watch that old, I would send it back to Switzerland rather than the US service center. If you live close to one of the boutique stores, you can just drop it off with them and they will handle the rest. 

With my last Omega service, any original parts that were replaced were returned with the watch.

This is pretty cool, I would definitely do it if I were you: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/customer-service/certificates-and-extracts

Edited by topochico
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, topochico said:

Agree, Omega tends to value the  history and originality of a watch more than Rolex (who will just replace everything and you will deal with it because...Rolex). With a watch that old, I would send it back to Switzerland rather than the US service center. If you live close to one of the boutique stores, you can just drop it off with them and they will handle the rest. 

With my last Omega service, any original parts that were replaced were returned with the watch.

This is pretty cool, I would definitely do it if I were you: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/customer-service/certificates-and-extracts

Very cool. I'm looking into that extract. Looks like I'll have to go by Korman to order it.

Personally, I would probably just look for a jeweler who could "tighten up" the band while preserving as much of the character as possible, and just rocking it as-is. The glass is legible enough, and sparkling, crystal clear glass on that bezel is going to look a little conspicuous. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Personally, I would probably just look for a jeweler who could "tighten up" the band while preserving as much of the character as possible, and just rocking it as-is. The glass is legible enough, and sparkling, crystal clear glass on that bezel is going to look a little conspicuous. 

Ditto. I’d just fix the band and get the guts tuned up. Leave everything else as is.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Omega will generally do exactly that when they discuss what you would like to have done to it. If you can get down to Houston, the Omega Boutique in the Galleria would take solid care of you. Boutique stores are a bit more service oriented and frequently have a watchmaker onsite that you can talk to. If you decide to go independent, Little Watch Co in Houston or possibly Time Tech in Dallas https://time-tech.biz/ would be good options. 

Edited by topochico
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Cool story, cool watch. That story is boomer as hell. Twenty years old (no college?), good job at IBM, bought an Omega for 167 bucks. I bet the next year he got a $2500 bonus and paid cash for a brand new Camaro SS.

I know you're joking around.

My dad is a boomer.  But he has worked his ass off for every little thing he's gotten in this life, and that's not much.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

Omega shop at La Cantera San Antonio. Very good customer service. They'll clean and check it for free. 

The Omega US Repair Shop is in Seattle. Zero reason to go to an independent shop 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On the topic of Omegas:

I've got what appears to be a circa 1966 Constellation "Gold Cap" that was my Dad's.  I have some vague recollection of him being extremely upset with a local jeweler who "butchered" a repair job, and now as I examine and learn more about it, I see that the case backing and the dial have both been replaced with "generic" junk.  I did have a jeweler pop the back off and we confirmed that the movement parts are all engraved and numbered.

Thinking about sending it in to Omega for the full blown restoration.  Thoughts?

Purchased my first mechanical watch, a Sinn 104. My Tissot PR50 served me well for 12 years, but it was time for an upgrade. b130c2cbf5986c89d53addec1182fac3.jpg
So far keeping great time, only a few seconds off per day.
This thread was a great resource looking for something I liked, thanks for all the posts.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, KTTFB64 said:

Purchased my first mechanical watch, a Sinn 104. My Tissot PR50 served me well for 12 years, but it was time for an upgrade. b130c2cbf5986c89d53addec1182fac3.jpg
This thread was a great resource looking for something I liked, thanks for all the posts.

One of my favorite brands for the dollar back in the day.  I've had 6 different Sinn models over the years.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:43 PM, KTTFB64 said:

Purchased my first mechanical watch, a Sinn 104. My Tissot PR50 served me well for 12 years, but it was time for an upgrade.

Great watch.  It's my daily wear to the office.

I added my first full Swiss (a lot of my Germans have Swiss movements, both ETA & Sellita) to my brigade of German watches.  It's the Oyster Perpetual 39 in Rhodium.  Really understated watch that doesn't scream "look at me" like so many Rolex do.

Op-39.jpg

group-32020.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well the trend has been bigger, so there's that.  But, yeah there are stoopid big watches out there that just look cartoonish.  My go to size is 43-44, but I have a 48 mm Nav B Uhr reproduction of a 1941 Luftwaffe pilots watch, that doesn't read stupid huge at all IMO of course.

Here is my Laco bronze 45mm Nav B Uhr sitting on a print I found & framed of the original spec's (originals were 55mm).  I've got 8" wrists so it sits well on me.

Laco-bronze-eng.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Here is my Laco bronze 45mm Nav B Uhr sitting on a print I found & framed of the original spec's (originals were 55mm).  I've got 8" wrists so it sits well on me.

Laco-bronze-eng.jpg

Wearing my Nav B Uhr today. One of my favorites. 7.5" wrists (fapping has paid off over the years).

IMG_7920.JPG

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1