The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 3/3/2020 at 6:31 AM, Whitman said:

I added my first full Swiss (a lot of my Germans have Swiss movements, both ETA & Sellita) to my brigade of German watches.  It's the Oyster Perpetual 39 in Rhodium.  Really understated watch that doesn't scream "look at me" like so many Rolex do.

Op-39.jpg

This is absolutely stunning. Well fucking done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I haven't gone a week without a wrist watch since grade school.

Now it's getting close to 1 month.  That's how immaterial timetelling has been for this whole period

Theres no excuse for not wearing a watch

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I haven't gone a week without a wrist watch since grade school.

Now it's getting close to 1 month.  That's how immaterial timetelling has been for this whole period

I find that having a day/date complication is critical right now for the very fact that I would have no idea about anything otherwise. 

It's handy to write the date on every Amazon box before quarantining it in the garage for three days. 

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
16 hours ago, G650 said:
Theres no excuse for not wearing a watch

That's because you're still working as usual. Get back to me when you're wearing workout clothes 24/7.

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When I'm at home the watch, and shoes come off.  Pants are optional.

I've worn a watch every day of my life since elementary school. I actually had the wrist bones in my right wrist flatten out as I was growing because I used to wear one 24/7. I do take it off at night now, but even weekend mornings the first thing I do when I wake up is grab my watch and put it on, then proceed to sit in pajamas half the morning.

21 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've worn a watch every day of my life since elementary school. I actually had the wrist bones in my right wrist flatten out as I was growing because I used to wear one 24/7. I do take it off at night now, but even weekend mornings the first thing I do when I wake up is grab my watch and put it on, then proceed to sit in pajamas half the morning.

That's serious devotion to either time or the watch itself. You shower with your watch on ?  I've heard the soap will prematurely dry out seals.

I've always worn a watch since I was a kid as well. I used to wear a watch all the time, but have moderated that around the house the last couple years.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Has anyone had any luck with negotiating with online retailers I.E. Govberg, etc.?  Was looking at purchasing 2 watches and was seeing if anyone has gotten them to cut a deal.

Offered below asking successfully on a Breitling Rattrapante just before Christmas with Govberg...amenable and great service. 

Edited by noharleyyet

On 4/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's serious devotion to either time or the watch itself. You shower with your watch on ?  I've heard the soap will prematurely dry out seals.

I've always worn a watch since I was a kid as well. I used to wear a watch all the time, but have moderated that around the house the last couple years.

when i bought my first watch as a teen, it was glued on me 24/7.  showers, swims, etc.  it was a Fossil (no shame) and the damn thing survived endless abuse until it went through the laundry.

with my first mechanical watches, i only too it off for showers.  still swam in pools and oceans as long as its not on strap.

nowadays watches go off for:  showers; garage work; sleeping (probably 50% of the time).... and, apparently, fucking covid virus

• Like 2

I have been wearing a Cartier Santos for 36 years.  24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  It was cleaned once 13 years ago.  I shower with it and clean it with soap just about every day.  It loses about 30 seconds a day.  Once a week, I adjust it to my iPhone.  It has been a great watch.  

I work in a healthcare setting and I've stopped bringing or wearing anything that's not absolutely essential. I figure it's just more ways for me to bring the 'rona back home. Lunch in disposable plastic bag instead of reusable cooler, no wallet, and yes, no watch. I probably glance at my wrist 10 times a day. It's very aggravating.

I have no idea how anyone goes through life not wearing a watch. Do they just never give a shit what time it is?

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I have no idea how anyone goes through life not wearing a watch. Do they just never give a shit what time it is?

Because the only one I really want is about 10k more than I want to spend.  And every time I get close to saying screw it, do something for yourself, I just throw that money into the 529’s or some other more “responsible” account. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Because the only one I really want is about 10k more than I want to spend.  And every time I get close to saying screw it, do something for yourself, I just throw that money into the 529’s or some other more “responsible” account. 

I can't think of anything more "responsible" than buying yourself the watch you want.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Thin, sober, and responsible is no way to go through life son.  

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 2

Haven't worn any of mine since I returned from London on March 12th.  I had the VC Overseas with me on that trip and it is still sitting on the bedside table in our spare bedroom, along with my wedding band.  I slept in there for about 10 nights when I got back from London due to some concerns with a co-worker that was coughing like mad when I left (turned out OK).  I couldn't leave the house without a watch on, but just working at home/sitting around/sitting outside I am shocked I haven't even thought twice about it.  Maybe I will start wearing again next week.  After the pants come back on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little cabin fever made me do it.  Panzera Flieger 47 Day, date, 40 hour power reserve Japanese Miyoto 820a automatic movement, stainless case, with a really comfortable, flexible, and sturdy rubber strap.  I'm a fan of pilot watches, and wanted a blue dial watch for the case, sold my blue faced Sinn Regulateur a few years back.

Fit, and finish are really nice, even under a loupe.  Wears well, not too thick, and I love a display case back.  A great bargain for under $300.00 IMO.

I made a decision back in 08 to stop buying the bigger brands, and focus on smaller, younger companies with a good product line. These guys are out of Australia, and offer a pretty decent line of watches.

FullSizeRender-161.jpg

FullSizeRender-162.jpg

FullSizeRender-163.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A little cabin fever made me do it.  Panzera Flieger 47 Day, date, 40 hour power reserve Japanese Miyoto 820a automatic movement, stainless case, with a really comfortable, flexible, and sturdy rubber strap.  I'm a fan of pilot watches, and wanted a blue dial watch for the case, sold my blue faced Sinn Regulateur a few years back.

Fit, and finish are really nice, even under a loupe.  Wears well, not too thick, and I love a display case back.  A great bargain for under $300.00 IMO.

I made a decision back in 08 to stop buying the bigger brands, and focus on smaller, younger companies with a good product line. These guys are out of Australia, and offer a pretty decent line of watches.

FullSizeRender-161.jpg

FullSizeRender-162.jpg

FullSizeRender-163.jpg

47MM?

On 4/21/2020 at 9:15 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

FullSizeRender-161.jpg

FullSizeRender-162.jpg

FullSizeRender-163.jpg

Nice lookin watch there