The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 4/28/2020 at 10:50 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Not strictly "watches" but I just discovered this lady who makes cool shit out of watch parts. There are a ton pictured on her website, but here's a couple that caught my eye. 

http://allnaturalarts.squarespace.com/new-gallery

dancer+2.jpg

Dragon+of+Fingertip.jpg

Yeah, that is solid. I’ll spend some time on that site.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple new pickups and another on the way.

G-Shocks

All Steel/All Black

Gorilla Galaxy Blue with a few strap options. Summer/Beach watch.

New to this brand, but its a few guys from AP going in a different direction. Anyways, they also have a badass wandering hands watch that I want, but its over $3k and not looking to spend that right now. Plus I don't like  the new version color scheme - the older Drift is better.

Picked up an Oris Aquis Clean Ocean for my wife's (no pics) birthday

Stock photo - No actual pics yet.

It's gorgeous and really a solid watch. Also a shoutout to Lewis Jewelers in Uptown Park. Really friendly event though I didn't buy the watch there and sized it for my wife. Also got to check out their ALS's including a Zeitwerk. So badass, although I wouldn't go with this one.

20200514_224145.jpg

20200515_163010.jpg

Gorilla1.JPG

Gorilla.JPG

Gorilla2.JPG

ALSZ.JPG

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

A couple new pickups and another on the way.

G-Shocks

All Steel/All Black

Gorilla Galaxy Blue with a few strap options. Summer/Beach watch.

New to this brand, but its a few guys from AP going in a different direction. Anyways, they also have a badass wandering hands watch that I want, but its over $3k and not looking to spend that right now. Plus I don't like  the new version color scheme - the older Drift is better.

Picked up an Oris Aquis Clean Ocean for my wife's (no pics) birthday

Stock photo - No actual pics yet.

It's gorgeous and really a solid watch. Also a shoutout to Lewis Jewelers in Uptown Park. Really friendly event though I didn't buy the watch there and sized it for my wife. Also got to check out their ALS's including a Zeitwerk. So badass, although I wouldn't go with this one.

20200514_224145.jpg

20200515_163010.jpg

Gorilla1.JPG

Gorilla.JPG

Gorilla2.JPG

ALSZ.JPG

POS rep for the ALS pic.  Not my favorite one of theirs but bad ass watches is what they make.

So the gorilla watch is pretty awesome. My initial impressions.

A few thoughts. First, fuck people who make straps to. 000000001mm tolerances. I love the strap options, but damn they are hard to get installed. I think I like the Black with Blue dots the best.  That could really change as I really like them all. 

This watch is solid and big and has an enormous wrist presence. 

It is comfortable as shit and the strap, for as big a pain in the ass as it is incredibly comfortable.

I feel like I could forget I have it on its so damn comfortable. 

It's deep and the chapter ring is a beautiful blue color. Its sloped at a diagonal to the crystal and the blue and seconds hands nearly brush the edge. It's really fine. 

Nice attention to details like every five seconds marker has a small drop in the chapter ring. You can see it in the photos but it doesn't capture the additional 3D feel in real life. It kind of makes it look like the chapter rings itself is applied in some way. Hard to explain.

The hours hand is actually attached to the entire concentric rings which is a neat feature when you set the time the entire thing revolves. 

The lume on the second hand ends on the inside of the hand exactly on the last concentric circle. The black hand is nearly invisible except for the white lume. You can only see the rest of the game when it is going over the white portion of the concentric circles. The inside of the arrow on the minutes hand is perfectly aligned with the outside of the interior markers. Its incredibly balanced and everything is in the exact right spot. For instance the second hand seems to ride the line on the chapter ring. 

I love the industrial, triangular crown and the guards. I wish it was signed but it's very easy to grasp and turn. The colored strip just below the bezel really stands out and catches the light and contrasts well with the black bezel and the matte grey case. 

The buckle has a nice texture on it. The black bezel actually rises up maybe one to two millimeters and the crystal sides nearly flush with it and has no curvature. 

The lume is badass. You really feel the depth in the dial and the reflection of the blue where the chapter ring is and the white part on the concentric circles. Numbers also have lume along with the interior markers. The tip of the seconds hand is brighter than the rest of the line so you really see the movement. 

Overall it's really a fantastic watch. You can tell that someone with an incredible attention to detail designed it (as you would expect with former AP designers).

Also love the minutes on the dial instead of the hours. Gives it a true "automotive" feel which makes sense since they are inspired by American muscle cars.

Definitely check out the wandering hands versions. There are some videos online. I may have to spring for one of those in the future. Really cool and unique way to tell the time and still easy to read.

98fa5dd7519279e87824f3b6f1ffb824.jpge2d39517bdb91c0a334e43cb71feba26.jpged453c6b4edc64c1b6d9999efa6ba48d.jpg

Edited by HoustonHorn

• 1 month later...
It's been a long time since i've shopped for a watch (given ive only worn a fucking Gshock during Pandemi2020)..... but this looks really nice

https://ming.watch/collections/17-06/products/ming-17-06-copper
https://timeandtidewatches.com/ming-17-06-copper-and-monolith/

Z722856_1024x1024.jpg

too bad its sold out a.t.m.
Mings are extremely popular and I love the dial on the one you posted. Unfortunately, the size is just too small for me.

If you like the Copper/Salmon Dual, check out the Baltic X Worn and Wound. They aren't in the same league as the Mings, but still a nice looking watch. Similar size.

Not sure they have them available anymore but watch recon is your friend. Resale prices got a little crazy for a microbrand, but maybe they've come back down by now.

Got the itch again, so really considering this bad boy.

maxresdefault.jpg
Very nice looking watch. I'm on a hiatus until the end of the year. My wife got me an Oris Great Barrier Reef fire my birthday. I wish I hadn't seen the new Oris Cary fort that just came out - I might like that even more, but this GBR is gorgeous.

7338ca1075f660c331ca752307960067.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Selling my Sinn EZM3 finally. It just doesn't get worn at all. I love this watch - comfortable, stylish, definitely not well-known, and incredible quality. Listing here https://austin.craigslist.org/jwl/d/austin-sinn-ezm3-watch/7158102615.html.

Would do $1100 for one of you fine horologists on this thread. I'll ship it if you want, you pay shipping + insurance.

Edited by capnamerca

On 7/4/2020 at 12:34 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Mings are extremely popular and I love the dial on the one you posted. Unfortunately, the size is just too small for me.

If you like the Copper/Salmon Dual, check out the Baltic X Worn and Wound. They aren't in the same league as the Mings, but still a nice looking watch. Similar size.

Not sure they have them available anymore but watch recon is your friend. Resale prices got a little crazy for a microbrand, but maybe they've come back down by now.

I like the Baltic designs, but not the 38mm case dia.

The beginnings of my meager collection.  One fake ass Rolex I got in a dice game.  The Breitling and Deep Blue are the ones I wear the most.  The UN, stays in the drawer in the winder.  I wear it now just when I feel the need.  My watch rules: 1 No quartz.  2 No repeat brand name.  3 No repeat color.  I've been eye fucking a Revue Thommen Air Speed (Red color) but also a red Victorinox.  Might come down to a coin flip.

Breitling1.jpg

Ulyess Nardin1.jpg

Deep Blue1.jpg

On 7/12/2020 at 2:04 PM, capnamerca said:

Selling my Sinn EZM3 finally. It just doesn't get worn at all. I love this watch - comfortable, stylish, definitely not well-known, and incredible quality. Listing here https://austin.craigslist.org/jwl/d/austin-sinn-ezm3-watch/7158102615.html.

Would do $1100 for one of you fine horologists on this thread. I'll ship it if you want, you pay shipping + insurance.

Sold this one too.

• 2 weeks later...

How bout a Panerai and grab a green strap to go with it.fbb335cbc624049d253ba5dbe4cd915e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Any of you watch guys have strong opinions on Panerai?  i like them a lot but don't know anyone who has owned one.  i'm also really liking the look of the Seaholm submariner knockoff.  also like that it's an Austin business and a few folks I know say the founder is a good guy.  Any thoughts or experiences with Seaholm?

image.thumb.png.e74996f6d0ea1b1f159c32b406870c13.png

Nice diver, but I don't like the name being the thing that jumps out at you the most. Your design should speak more for itself, not the name on the face.  Sub-tle look a Mac truck. 

Date position doesn't bother me.  It's minimal in it's detail presentation. I also like the sword hands, they're my favorite style

• Hook 'Em 1

Panerai to me is kinda like backstreet boys...it is victim of association to a very specific time period when it was ultra ultra trendy.

The radiomir looks pretty cool.  But when I see one I just think 2000s. 

I also don't like how there was a 1000 different variation of 2 basic design (luminor + radiomir).  Its like the entirety of the company are salesmen and marketers capitalizing on the trend, rather than working on innovation and design.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Blancpain has a stunning Fifty Fathoms LE that juat came out in green

Blancpain_Fifty_Fathoms_Bathyscaphe_Moka

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damor said:

There's a credible rumor that this will make a future anniversary appearance, so that it can go to my younger son when I am dead.
1725ce64e56b0012b5435b0d1f1db38c.jpg

What's left of my once larger SINN collection.  My U2 is just about my favorite watch.  Heavy as a bitch, great lume, and built from tegimented (cold annealed) German submarine steel.  

The UTC module with multiple time zone hands doesn't get as much wrist time, but it's nice to have when you travel abroad. 

These, and the rest of my collection will go to my son, and hopefully current son in law one day.

FullSizeRender-177.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had a Panerai Sub for a while. It's not a bad watch, but I agree with 52-80. It's basically multiple variations of the same 2 models. It makes the Porsche 911 design team look radical by comparison. I will say that the ease of strap changes and the huge array of aftermarket straps can let you change things up pretty often. A new strap is always cheaper than a new watch when you get tired of the old look.  

Regarding green watches with green straps, take a look at the Seiko King Turtle if you don't mind a dive watch. 

35 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s a bargain at $15,500!
emoji15.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the far other end of the spectrum, the Seiko Alpinist (SARB017) is an option if you have smaller wrists (38mm case....). I have mine on this Strapcode bracelet and am pleased with it. 

https://www.strapcode.com/collections/replacement-band-for-seiko-alpinist/products/metal-ss-pgd05-p2g064

Screenshot_20200801-125021_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

be397028727d91c02177cb431b82da68.jpg
Forgot the pic earlier.
Sapphire crystal. Seiko automatic movement. Waffle dial has a lot of depth in person. Cyclops is big, but I’m older now so I appreciate it.
Lord, i hate cyclops. Wish i could grind it off my Rolex. Otherwise love the watch even if i haven't had a reason to wear it in a few months.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
36 minutes ago, topochico said:
be397028727d91c02177cb431b82da68.jpg
Forgot the pic earlier.
Sapphire crystal. Seiko automatic movement. Waffle dial has a lot of depth in person. Cyclops is big, but I’m older now so I appreciate it.

Lord, i hate cyclops. Wish i could grind it off my Rolex. Otherwise love the watch even if i haven't had a reason to wear it in a few months.

I used to hate them too. The date window is useless to me without it now. Sigh.

• Like 1