The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something different I picked up recently.  A solid gold IWC,  and like me, the movement was made in 1964.  Very different from most of my others but just a sweet simple piece.  Original hands and unretouched dial still in great condition.  It uses the 854 calibre but isn't considered part of the Ingenieur line.  It's an automatic and I love the clean face with no complications.  I've never gone down the "vintage" route, and don't plan on much because of the prevalence of frankens and frauds, but couldn't pass this one up for a "birthyear" watch.

IWC 810a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How the hell do you tell the time ?  There ain't no numbers !!!

Yeah, that's a really pretty face, clean, well proportioned 

Worrying about time up here in the mountains is down on the list.  Indoor plumbing, revenuers, and genetic diversity are greater priority issues.......  

PS: Is Gen. Lee coming down on Monument Ave in Richmond?

Edited by Whitman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, I'm jonesing for a "no time" weekend in Lewisburg, 

Was just there 2 week ago.  Went to Snowshoe for a bit of hiking/ATV/etc and snuck  down there for a day of shopping and eating.  Still pretty quiet and closed from virus stuff.

28 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Was just there 2 week ago.  Went to Snowshoe for a bit of hiking/ATV/etc and snuck  down there for a day of shopping and eating.  Still pretty quiet and closed from virus stuff.

Love that little town.  The Irish Pub (if that's still the name), and Stardust cafe are 2 of my favorites.

3 minutes ago, Whitman said:

We did pizza and beer at The Hill and Holler.

Must be new'ish.  Haven't been to Lewisburg in a couple years.  Thinking about going up, the weekend they have their car show in September (if it still happens).

Been wanting to hit Beer n' Eat on the road between Lewisburg, and White Sulphur.  Looks like a complete hole in the wall, but our friends hit it from time to time for a beer... no eats though.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On 8/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, cabowabo said:

I’ve grown to really like watches without date windows on watch dials. I would hate if this watch or my Speedmaster had date windows. 

I'm the same way on many.  It's why I can't do a cyclops on a Rolex and have an OP39, and love Nomos.  That Tudor above (i think it is a Black Bay) is fricking beautiful in it's simplicity and the quality of the case and movement is wonderful.  But then I irrationally and stupidly think, "oh Tudor....just get a damn Rolex if they are the same company."  

Edited by Whitman

2 hours ago, Whitman said:

I'm the same way on many.  It's why I can't do a cyclops on a Rolex and have an OP39, and love Nomos.  That Tudor above (i think it is a Black Bay) is fricking beautiful in it's simplicity and the quality of the case and movement is wonderful.  But then I irrationally and stupidly think, "oh Tudor....just get a damn Rolex if they are the same company."  

As someone that owns both, I can tell you this is irrational.  And possibly stupid.  Its ok to celebrate both.  Expecially at each price point.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:28 PM, cabowabo said:

I’ve grown to really like watches without date windows on watch dials. I would hate if this watch or my Speedmaster had date windows. 

I’m with you. Although I think Rolex dares are done well, I prefer A very clean face. This is why my Explorer has been a collection killer and I’ve even thought about moving to an OP39.

but I would probably wear a Milgauss GV.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 8/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, cabowabo said:

I guess I’m more of a tool watch person, so not having a date window is most likely a dealbreaker.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the dial on my Speedmaster, and wouldn’t change it for a thing. But I look at my watch for the date at least once a day, and get a little annoyed that it is my only watch without a date window.

i like having date.  i find it actually useful.  (yes, i know, cell phone, whatever).

my only problem is since i dont use watchwinders... and ive stopped the habit of winding my watches daily, i'd have to reset the day/date everytime i put one on

• Like 1

i like having date.  i find it actually useful.  (yes, i know, cell phone, whatever).

my only problem is since i dont use watchwinders... and ive stopped the habit of winding my watches daily, i'd have to reset the day/date everytime i put one on

I like having a date. I do not like having to reset it.

Have pre-owned Rolex prices really increased 29% in 29 months?  I've been wanting a Datejust II (116300) for a long time.  I randomly took a screen shot of one I liked 29 months ago.  The Bob's price of what I wanted back in April of 2018 was $6195.  I saved the screen shot in my phone (thankfully).  Right now, similar 116300s on Bobs are $7995.  

All things being equal I'd prefer to purchase through Bob's.  But is this out of whack?  I know there was a craze (like the poker / bourbon craze) but I thought that had passed.  

I only buy high end watches every five years or so so I am trying to gauge the market here.  Anyone on this thread keep up with this stuff?      

Edited by bigshark88

1 minute ago, bigshark88 said:

Have pre-owned Rolex values really increased 29% in 29 months?  I've been wanting a Datejust II (116300) for a long time.  I randomly took a screen shot of one I liked 29 months ago.  The Bob's price of what I wanted back in April of 2018 was $6195.  I saved the screen shot in my phone (thankfully).  Right now, similar 116300s on Bobs are $7995.  

All things being equal I'd prefer to purchase through Bob's.  But is this out of whack?  I know there was a craze (like the poker / bourbon craze) but I thought that had passed.  

I only buy high end watches every five years or so so I am trying to gauge the market here.  Anyone on this thread keep up with this stuff?      

Rolexes have insane realize value for some reason. They're like jeeps.  Seems like just a few years ago.  I've never been a huge fan, and don't get the dollars they command, but lots of people dig 'em.  They seem like one of the few watches that seem to only increase in value after you buy them....

8 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Except Rolexes don't randomly fall apart.  Fucking JKs.

E: Yeah, I'm bitter.  So what?  Should have bought a couple of Rolexes instead of those two turd Jeeps and just walked everywhere.

Yeah true, not the best quality analogy. Rolex is a well crafted product.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Works for the value continuing to go up though.  

Yep it does, I don't really get it.  Does Rolex keep inventory artificially low ?  The running joke on Timezone.com was it takes Rolex one year to build a single watch. My Hublot Big Bang has seen similar increases in value.  I think I could get a couple $k more now than when I bought it back in '08.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep it does, I don't really get it.  Does Rolex keep inventory artificially low ?  The running joke on Timezone.com was it takes Rolex one year to build a single watch. My Hublot Big Bang has seen similar increases in value.  I think I could get a couple $k more now than when I bought it back in '08.

I honestly don't know.  I've heard it both ways:  it's artificial and that it's just that some of them are so popular that they can't keep up.  Regardless, they're doing something right.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

I honestly don't know.  I've heard it both ways:  it's artificial and that it's just that some of them are so popular that they can't keep up.  Regardless, they're doing something right.  

It’s not just Rolex.  But they feel like the ones faking it.  RM and Patek have legit shortages.  

I've asked this before on TOS but it's been many years.  I have a sub that I need fixed (hands and date don't turn when turning dial after pulled out) and an air king that i need to get a new face on.  Is there a good Rolex repair shop in Austin?  Should i go through an authorized dealer in Austin?  Regarding the sub -- I'd lost it for over 5 years ago (thought our toddler did something with it or a contractor took it) and, yesterday, while cleaning out a few extra rooms, found it in a random old shoe box! 

I had my circa 1989 sub serviced a few months ago.  I purposely did not send it to Rolex because I didn't want them replacing the dial or hands or anything else which would negatively affect the value.  My understanding is that Rolex will do whatever they want servicing your watch and you will like and accept it.  I sent mine to Rik Dietel in Florida and it came back looking like new, and it's still all original.   He's well known on the Rolex forum.

http://timecareinc.com/index.html

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

I had my circa 1989 sub serviced a few months ago.  I purposely did not send it to Rolex because I didn't want them replacing the dial or hands or anything else which would negatively affect the value.  My understanding is that Rolex will do whatever they want servicing your watch and you will like and accept it.  I sent mine to Rik Dietel in Florida and it came back looking like new, and it's still all original.   He's well known on the Rolex forum.

Not correct. at least for me

Rolex will not replace the dials and hands unless you tell them to. I had my tritium lume Sub done by Dallas RSC in 2015 and no issues with keeping it original. They will however decline to work on it if they feel it needs replacement. ie lume is flaking off and would mess up the movement.

Edited by AUinHsv

On 8/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah true, not the best quality analogy. Rolex is a well crafted product.

Did you see where Rolex is dropping the OP39 and has introduced a new OP41 but with four (kind of not for me) flashy modern dial colors?  As my Rhodium OP39 is now out of production and an instant rare classic, I will now start the bidding at $100 chajillion bazillion dolllars....

On 8/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, cabowabo said:

This is very helpful 411.