The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

• 1 month later...

decided i really like blue dials, and i really like textured dials

negotiating for 1 of these 2

image.png

image.png

Found a good condition DJ Linen close enough to my requirements (birthyear, bezel, overall patina) but just not the right shade (silver vs gray)

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

got the rolex.  im a terrible negotiator.  but think i can easily flip it down the road, particularly as its way vintage and all the deprec is done

I have a buddy that was in SF and then a contractor for the Agency after that I shoot with.  Always wore a Rolex.  Humble guy, so it was a weird contrast.  Asked him about it and his answer was so insanely pragmatic.  If he was ever down range, foreign or domestic, and shit went sideways, his answer was across the globe people recognize Rolex.  As a chip to bargain with.  A car ride to the airport.  A place to sleep.  Bribe an officer.  Whatever.  Said it happened more than once with some of the senior guys that told him about it.  Still wears it to this day.  Submariner.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I have a buddy that was in SF and then a contractor for the Agency after that I shoot with.  Always wore a Rolex.  Humble guy, so it was a weird contrast.  Asked him about it and his answer was so insanely pragmatic.  If he was ever down range, foreign or domestic, and shit went sideways, his answer was across the globe people recognize Rolex.  As a chip to bargain with.  A car ride to the airport.  A place to sleep.  Bribe an officer.  Whatever.  Said it happened more than once with some of the senior guys that told him about it.  Still wears it to this day.  Submariner.  

Yeap.  That's why I also have 3 carats of rough diamond embedded under the skin on the side of my ass. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, 52-80 said:

any of you own a timegrapher?  any advice for buying one?  seems like theyre all chinese and $200.

most of my watches are approaching the decade old mark and it'll be nice to measure at home how theyre doing

I've got a Weishi 1900.  Really cool and addicting.  Can also set off the OCD.  I use it as a tool for tracking speed (accuracy) and amplitude (condition of spring).  I don't open my watches, but it lets me know if something is headed in a direction I might need work done to it.

Edited by Whitman

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kicking around the idea of a nice (~$5k) watch. Right now I have a Hamilton Pan Europ. 

I have had my eye on a Zenith El Primero (38mm 1969 version), which I can get under $6000. I like that it's a chronograph with some history and it works in a casual or suit environment. I would get it on a SS bracelet and buy a couple different leather straps for different looks.

Does anyone have any experience with an El Primero? It is reliable enough to handle the abuse of a daily wearer? Does it have any chance of holding its value?

I also like the Rolex GMT II but at $10k+ they are too spendy for me.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, Whitman said:

I've got a Weishi 1900.  Really cool and addicting.  Can also set off the OCD.  I use it as a tool for tracking speed (accuracy) and amplitude (condition of spring).  I don't open my watches, but it lets me know if something is headed in a direction I might need work done to it.

According to the Just One More Watch video recently posted on YouTube, these are on sale at Ali Express right now for their 11/11 sale.

16 minutes ago, drewlaws said:

I'm kicking around the idea of a nice (~$5k) watch. Right now I have a Hamilton Pan Europ. 

I have had my eye on a Zenith El Primero (38mm 1969 version), which I can get under $6000. I like that it's a chronograph with some history and it works in a casual or suit environment. I would get it on a SS bracelet and buy a couple different leather straps for different looks.

Does anyone have any experience with an El Primero? It is reliable enough to handle the abuse of a daily wearer? Does it have any chance of holding its value?

No watch it in this price range has resaleability outside of speedmaster, and whatever rolex you can get your hands on.

(Does anybody give a shit about Panerai anymore?)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I rock a PAM 176 on occasion.

Is that luminor or radiomir?

They both look pretty dope.

I remember 10 years ago you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a PAM.  They seemed ultra hot stuff, but you never really see people buying or trading them anymore

On 11/12/2020 at 1:35 PM, drewlaws said:

I had a Zenith Rainbow Flyback for a number of years. It was crazy accurate and super comfortable on the SS bracelet. I never had reliability issues with it. The 36,000 vph is kinda cool to see in action. Some of the older Zenith's will maintain their value, but I agree that if you are looking to flip it later, used Speedmaster is always a strong choice. 

6C04B70F-549C-4447-B304-889751662A6D_1_201_a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

im not in love with this vintage rolex as i thought i would be.  got it cuz i love blue and especially textured dials.  but the texture is way too fine in scale for it to be visible, and it being horizonally hatched, doesnt really catch the light as much as a crosshatch like the linen dials are.

image.png

also... have no idea how it is possible to resize a jubilee band?  do you just change the mounting point on the snap buckle thing?

probably gonna flip this for a linen datejust when i run into the right one.

also a big personal surprise is.... man i really like the apple watch.  it wears extremely comfortably.  the strap attachment mechanism is genius.  and the software engineering they put into it is quite incredible.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Do it.  Sharp looking Speedy that will never go out of style.

Yeah, agreed. Its close enough to the classic speedmaster look just with the orange accents. I really like the DSOTM Apollo 8 as well but it is a little bit over the top. I like it, but definitely not "classic" looking.

Waiting to hear back from the AD to see if they can get it in and what sort of deal they will cut. I told them Joma has it for 25% off. I know they won't get that low, but hopefully more than the ~10% he offered in the store.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Same, although I would eventually like to get a Rolex Daytona from my birth year.

That said I gravitate to less widely known brands.

My current grail watch is an

H Mosier Streamliner Flyback Chrono in Funky Blue

Hopefully RTRanger's stock tips keep paying off. Or I win the lottery.

That's the Rolex I'd buy as well if I were so inclined, and funded.  I've gone the lesser known route as well for a while.

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'll take that first GO, and it's not even close for anything else on that list.

Yeah, I tend to sportier styles, obviously, but that Pano is such an amazing watch. Uses the Golden ratio for the dial and it is just beautiful to look at. I'd actually probably go with the forest green that came out this year. Shit, in this scenario I won the lottery so might as well get both.

GO is so overlooked as a high-end watch brand. I've walked into high-end boutiques and asked if they carry Glashutte Original and the sales people have barely heard of them. Of course they point me to Rolex and PP. Not that I wouldn't take a Nautilus or Aquanaut.

GO Pano Green.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Yeah, I tend to sportier styles, obviously, but that Pano is such an amazing watch. Uses the Golden ratio for the dial and it is just beautiful to look at. I'd actually probably go with the forest green that came out this year. Shit, in this scenario I won the lottery so might as well get both.

GO is so overlooked as a high-end watch brand. I've walked into high-end boutiques and asked if they carry Glashutte Original and the sales people have barely heard of them. Of course they point me to Rolex and PP. Not that I wouldn't take a Nautilus or Aquanaut.

GO Pano Green.JPG

Yep, green,  white or blue would all be amazing with that watch.  I'd love a blue stainless Nautilus 5711, too, but they're too pricey and unobtanium even if you have the funds.  I think they retail for $35k or so but it will take probably 2x that to get your hands on one.

@Jimbaround has a Zenith that I think he likes.  It's a sharp watch for sure.

I have a Captain Chrono that I don't wear daily because its on a croc strap and they do not like the Houston humidity.  However, I have had it serviced once in 6 years and it keeps good time.  Mine has a display back and the hi-beat is pretty cool.

Doesn't hold it's value as well as other brands, but it certainly has a floor that's not unreasonable.

DSC01556.JPG

DSC01476.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Considering selling or trading my automatics toward a gold Rolex in the $25-33k range.  

Where to start?

my sale/ trade list would be

stainless planet ocean chrono

cartier roadster XL (non-chrono)

Tag calibre 17 chrono in brown with alligator deployment clasp. (Last to sell, would prefer to keep)

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Timezone or Watchuseek.  I went to school with one of the ballers on timezone whose watch collection exceeds my net worth.

Whatever you do stay away from ebay or reddit.

Timezone is definitely a good source.  The mantra there is you're buying the seller, not the watch.   They have a high end watch buying page ($5K and over I believe) and an under $5k page for the rest of us schlubs.

23 hours ago, Elvis said:

Second try.  Where is the best place to buy and sell high value watches?

Nothing personal but your question indicates you are probably a novice at this. There is really not a good way to learn all the traps that people are using these days. The bad guys are very good and very determined in this market. I would really suggest finding someone who does this and spending some time understanding what the traps are. otherwise you are very vulnerable here. And I am not that person - I just have read too much on some of the forums about the bad guys.  If my assumptions are wrong then I apologize in advance

Edited by AUinHsv

Watch forum people are fucking heroes.

i expressed dismay that I couldn’t get an ultra limited edition JP-only watch. The few dealers that stocked it wouldn’t reply back (in English or kanji)

A random guy on the forum offered that his friend was there for work, and could buy one for me.  At cost. Both of us had low post count. I didn’t front him the money. 

Sure enough, a week later the motherfucker brought it back to California. I didn’t want to eat the customs getting it shipped to me in Europe. So I had a local friend do the exchange for me, in person. Fucking PayPal took days to setup, so I had my sister in another state wire my Cali friend the money. She did the exchange for the watch, and then mailed it onto another friend of mine in NY, whom I visited a month later. 

The whole thing sounds sketchy as fuck if I tell it to other people. Might be interesting one day to tell the future grandkids. 

Worth it in the end though. It’s at least 2x value now, and last time I saw someone list the same model online they were asking 5 figures. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1