The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 12/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, Tailgate said:

Martin Braun Selene. He has some cool complications with the sun and moon.
This one moon. The red tipped hand is actually the date. There is a version of this watch with a shaved piece of meteorite as the face.

Different complications are neat on mechanical watches.  So few of them do a nice large moon phase that is readable unless you get really pricey like Arnold.  The best not ridiculous priced moonphase I have seen is the Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow.  I'd need to see it in real life if the translucent shield is dark enough to limit the lower moon figure, but overall they have done a good and unique job with this.  It has a "Speedy" vibe, very large moon, and the red tipped second hand and date are nice for quick viewing at a glance.  It runs about $2k.

c1 moonglow.jpg

Edited by Whitman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Watch forum people are fucking heroes.

i expressed dismay that I couldn’t get an ultra limited edition JP-only watch. The few dealers that stocked it wouldn’t reply back (in English or kanji)

A random guy on the forum offered that his friend was there for work, and could buy one for me.  At cost. Both of us had low post count. I didn’t front him the money. 

Sure enough, a week later the motherfucker brought it back to California. I didn’t want to eat the customs getting it shipped to me in Europe. So I had a local friend do the exchange for me, in person. Fucking PayPal took days to setup, so I had my sister in another state wire my Cali friend the money. She did the exchange for the watch, and then mailed it onto another friend of mine in NY, whom I visited a month later. 

The whole thing sounds sketchy as fuck if I tell it to other people. Might be interesting one day to tell the future grandkids. 

Worth it in the end though. It’s at least 2x value now, and last time I saw someone list the same model online they were asking 5 figures. 
CSB (actually).

Was it a Seiko by chance?

Couple years back on the old site you guys helped me with buying a GMT master 11 two tone. Now I’m looking to buy something “sportier” with a darker case. What are y’alls thoughts on Zenith or something like this? Thanks in advance. 

https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/zenith/defy/zenith-defy-el-primero-21-ultraviolet-2/

13 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Couple years back on the old site you guys helped me with buying a GMT master 11 two tone. Now I’m looking to buy something “sportier” with a darker case. What are y’alls thoughts on Zenith or something like this? Thanks in advance. 

https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/zenith/defy/zenith-defy-el-primero-21-ultraviolet-2/

Apollo 8 dark side of the moon.   Dark ceramic.   

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I've had my Sinn 356 for about 8 years now and it is starting to run fast, so figured its time to get it serviced. I was wondering if any of the Sinn owners on here have a good place to get one serviced without sending it back to Germany. I've read mixed reviews on watch forums of RGM, the official service center, so wanted to see if anyone here had any recommendations.

51 minutes ago, Southland said:

I've had my Sinn 356 for about 8 years now and it is starting to run fast, so figured its time to get it serviced. I was wondering if any of the Sinn owners on here have a good place to get one serviced without sending it back to Germany. I've read mixed reviews on watch forums of RGM, the official service center, so wanted to see if anyone here had any recommendations.

I’ve used RGM with no complaints. That said, sometimes the servicing price doesn’t make sense given the value of the watch. 

The movement of the 356 is pretty standard Valjoux or some variant thereof, so basic servicing can be done basically by any decent watch shop with a high volume of service. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Southland said:

I just sent my 203 off to RGM because I stupidly dropped it.  They assured me they were good to repair it, do the argon filling, moisture capsule, etc.  It'll be a while, but I can update when I get it back.

I was going to send it to Sinn, but trying to do an international ship via FedEx apparently got ridiculously painful since last time.  I couldn't get anyone at FedEx customer service or technical support to give a shit about helping me out, so fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I’ve used RGM with no complaints. That said, sometimes the servicing price doesn’t make sense given the value of the watch. 

The movement of the 356 is pretty standard Valjoux or some variant thereof, so basic servicing can be done basically by any decent watch shop with a high volume of service. 

21 hours ago, Damor said:

I just sent my 203 off to RGM because I stupidly dropped it.  They assured me they were good to repair it, do the argon filling, moisture capsule, etc.  It'll be a while, but I can update when I get it back.

I was going to send it to Sinn, but trying to do an international ship via FedEx apparently got ridiculously painful since last time.  I couldn't get anyone at FedEx customer service or technical support to give a shit about helping me out, so fuck 'em.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll give RGM a shot.

I called around to a couple local watch shops here in Denver and one said they couldn't do it in house because they didn't have access to the gaskets and seals they would need for the case, but they could send it off somewhere to get it serviced. The second one I called hadn't heard of the Sinn brand, the guy put me on hold, and then came back and said they could work on it. Neither of those gave me much confidence.

This watch has tons of sentimental value, I bought it from the Sinn factory on my 30th birthday during my first trip to Germany. And, it was my first mechanical watch. It is a watch I will never get rid of and plan to pass on one day.

Edited by Southland
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Southland said:

I called around to a couple local watch shops here in Denver and one said they couldn't do it in house because they didn't have access to the gaskets and seals they would need for the case, but they could send it off somewhere to get it serviced. The second one I called hadn't heard of the Sinn brand, the guy put me on hold, and then came back and said they could work on it. Neither of those gave me much confidence.

This watch has tons of sentimental value, I bought it from the Sinn factory on my 30th birthday during my first trip to Germany. And, it was my first mechanical watch. It is a watch I will never get rid of and plan to pass on one day.

Did you try Right Time?

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Did you try Right Time?

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Also, did you get your VAT refund after buying the watch?

I didn't call Right Time. The online reviews seemed good for people that just went in for battery changes, but were mixed for mechanical watch servicing. Do you have experience with them? Is there a better location between the Colorado Blvd or Highlands Ranch locations?

I did get the VAT refund. I paid around 1900 EUR for it and off the top of my head, the VAT refund was around $375.

22 minutes ago, Southland said:

I didn't call Right Time. The online reviews seemed good for people that just went in for battery changes, but were mixed for mechanical watch servicing. Do you have experience with them? Is there a better location between the Colorado Blvd or Highlands Ranch locations?

I did get the VAT refund. I paid around 1900 EUR for it and off the top of my head, the VAT refund was around $375.

I don't live in CO anymore and discovered them after I'd left, so don't have first hand experience with service their.  Just saw they had a very diverse brand list and possibly they do lots of in-house servicing.  I have a local (to me) watchshop thats a Sinn service partner so they were able to de-sticky the 356 chrono pushers, and service a 756 including replacing the humidity capsule. 

If you want to ship to Sinn directly, I think the weight/volume for intl shipping is only $25, and there shouldn't be any customs issues both ways because it's a repair shipment.

Did you call Matthew's in HR? They serviced my Omega a few years ago.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 2/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, Southland said:

Did you call Matthew's in HR? They serviced my Omega a few years ago.

I did call them. They were the ones who hadn't heard of Sinn.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:33 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

Apollo 8 dark side of the moon.   Dark ceramic.   

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I am selling a Hublot that I never wear (and can't stand the brand) and an IWC Aquatimer Darwin edition that is just too thick. Trying to figure out what to get and have always had my eye on the DSOTM, as well as the IWC Top Gun watches. Decisions decisions.

2 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I am selling a Hublot that I never wear (and can't stand the brand) and an IWC Aquatimer Darwin edition that is just too thick. Trying to figure out what to get and have always had my eye on the DSOTM, as well as the IWC Top Gun watches. Decisions decisions.

I had an original (well not ww2 original)  IWC big pilot 5002, but didn't wear it much, i have a PAM111 that i wear on distressed leather that kind of fits that bill better and used the big pilot to fund the SeaDweller43.

28 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

What turned you off to Hublot ?

1 hour ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

They are just a bit over the top for me. Plus, when every model is a limited edition, it just seems overdone to me. The one I am selling is a Luna Rossa "Limited Edition." Just don't like the look of them anymore.

Yeah, they've definitely become way too boutique for my taste now.  I bought one way back when they had just the simple blue face on a rubber strap. Elegant, simple, the rubber strap was cool as shit.

I've had a few since then. 

I have a Super B, then I got a first generation, stainless steel and ceramic, Big Bang. It's still a top favorite in my collection. After the introduction of the Big Bang they got ridiculously expensive, and I don't like the direction their design has gone very much either. Extremely self conscious, look at me design now.  

It's a shame because they had a great design vibe in my opinion with the rubber, ceramic, and mixing it with SS, or rose gold.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Apparently IWC is reissuing something, they put a teaser on IG. I hope it's the MkXII

5 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I had an original (well not ww2 original)  IWC big pilot 5002, but didn't wear it much, i have a PAM111 that i wear on distressed leather that kind of fits that bill better and used the big pilot to fund the SeaDweller43.

My second iwc.  Iw388004.  Absolutely love it.

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Beautiful.  Love Omegas.  Still cherish my original Seamaster purchased almost two decades ago.  Here's my very, very short-lived attempt to get up with Jocko each day @ 4:30am

Omega.PNG

That's a gorgeous watch. Timeless design. I've been wearing the Speedmaster every day. Just love it.

I really like the Apollo 8 as well, but too many others in line first. This is an expensive addiction.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

My second iwc.  Iw388004.  Absolutely love it.

image.jpg

IWC makes some really amazing pieces.  IWC and Omega are the two brands I fuck with the most.  This old girl is coming up on a decade old.  If I could have ANY watch in the world, I think it would be the IWC portugieser yacht club chrono with a rubber band and white face

Image result for iwc portugieser chronograph yacht club

IWC.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

IWC makes some really amazing pieces.  IWC and Omega are the two brands I fuck with the most.  This old girl is coming up on a decade old.  If I could have ANY watch in the world, I think it would be the IWC portugieser yacht club chrono with a rubber band and white face

IWC.jpg

love me a Port-o-geezy..

Unknown.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Love that Yacht Club. Simple, clean and perfect on the rubber strap. It’s always been one of my favs. I have the 5001 with the blue straps that is 12 years old and still looks like new.

I regret buying the Darwin Aquatimer but it was from insurance proceeds on a JLC that I lost in Hawaii.  Just received an offer from Watchfinder, which was about 50% of what I paid for it. Can’t live with that kind of price so may list it on my own.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Love that Yacht Club. Simple, clean and perfect on the rubber strap. It’s always been one of my favs. I have the 5001 with the blue straps that is 12 years old and still looks like new.

I regret buying the Darwin Aquatimer but it was from insurance proceeds on a JLC that I lost in Hawaii.  Just received an offer from Watchfinder, which was about 50% of what I paid for it. Can’t live with that kind of price so may list it on my own.

Aquatimers are beautiful as well.  With the black or white face and rubber strap.  Pics?

15 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Pics?  I may be interested.