The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Nice watch.  The red checkerboard doesn’t do it for me though.

Definitely acquired.

I had the pick of 2 (regular black dial), and just wanted something different.  At the time I had no idea the price would go up like this.  I love it, but I just want a few other things more.

5 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Definitely acquired.

I had the pick of 2 (regular black dial), and just wanted something different.  At the time I had no idea the price would go up like this.  I love it, but I just want a few other things more.

It wouldn’t be a hobby if you bought one and kept it forever.  I’m not a huge watch guy, a vintage Omega dress watch is the only thing I own that would get anyone’s attention on this thread, but I’ve been browsing Speedmasters lately.  Thought we might be able to make a deal and cut out the middleman if it was what I was looking for.  Best of luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Does anyone remember the HDNet series from 20 or so years ago call Masters of Time? It was about independent Swedish watchmakers and shot with stunning macro video of the miniscule intricate innerworkings of artisan handcrafted watches. From time to time I look for torrents of it but can never find it. As far as I know, it has never been officially released on any HD format, just the HDNet airing in 1080i. I'd love to get my hands on a hidef video of that documentary, it'd be great demo material.

(There is a 480p video of the show on YouTube and now that I think about it, I may have asked this question way upthread but memory fails...)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

Does anyone remember the HDNet series from 20 or so years ago call Masters of Time? It was about independent Swedish watchmakers and shot with stunning macro video of the miniscule intricate innerworkings of artisan handcrafted watches. From time to time I look for torrents of it but can never find it. As far as I know, it has never been officially released on any HD format, just the HDNet airing in 1080i. I'd love to get my hands on a hidef video of that documentary, it'd be great demo material.

(There is a 480p video of the show on YouTube and now that I think about it, I may have asked this question way upthread but memory fails...)

Awesome.  Thanks

I’ve asked this but forget the answer. Have an early 90s submariner that has stopped working. The hands don’t move when you spin the thing. Any places in Austin that can help? If not does is it the kind of thing you mail to the manufacturer? I’m original owner if they care.

23 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

I’ve asked this but forget the answer. Have an early 90s submariner that has stopped working. The hands don’t move when you spin the thing. Any places in Austin that can help? If not does is it the kind of thing you mail to the manufacturer? I’m original owner if they care.

omega store at la cantera in san antonio 

7 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

I took mine up 35 to Rolex Service Center in Dallas

3 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I took mine up 35 to Rolex Service Center in Dallas

Correct answer. Especially since early 90’s Sub’s are getting premium values these days. And don’t let them buff it! As good as most Rolex tech’s are, they love that fucking buffing wheel, and they always fuck with the edges just enough that if you know what to look for it’s annoying.

12 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Definitely acquired.

I should have followed up with you several months ago when you offered it up originally.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Sounds like it could be a loose canon pinion.  I had that happen on a Nomos.  If so, easy fix for the right guy with the right tool. 

Bob's just offered me a crazy buy back price on a Milgauss I bought from them about four years ago (posted on the Shag). Seriously thinking about selling now, with anticipation of a Rolex price bubble in mind, and investing in other interests.

I own an older Tag Carrera and a Seiko SKX that'll temporarily replace the Milgauss in the office rotation (haven't been to the office in a long time). May buy a discontinued Omega model I've had my eye on for years if I can find one.

The ultimate endgame is a Date just or DJII in 41mm.

With no weekly office visits it's hard to hold on to a Milgauss that has appreciated 25% in four years when I'm not wearing it.

Anyone think I'm crazy?

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

Bob's just offered me a crazy buy back price on a Milgauss I bought from them about four years ago (posted on the Shag). Seriously thinking about selling now, with anticipation of a Rolex price bubble in mind, and investing in other interests.

I own an older Tag Carrera and a Seiko SKX that'll temporarily replace the Milgauss in the office rotation (haven't been to the office in a long time). May buy a discontinued Omega model I've had my eye on for years if I can find one.

The ultimate endgame is a Date just or DJII in 41mm.

With no weekly office visits it's hard to hold on to a Milgauss that has appreciated 25% in four years when I'm not wearing it.

Anyone think I'm crazy?

No, unless you think you might regret is someday.  I've sold a couple watches I wish I hadn't in hindsight.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:28 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Hilderbrand Jewelers on 620 does a lot of Rolex refurbish work.  Rehabbed my President and did a great job.

I’m about to fall in this hole ... First, ladies watches seem like the suck to me.  Really digging some of the seamasters (omega) and yacht-masters (rolex) - especially the 37mm yacht master - black dial is just so intense but that price tag is dumb for me.  Last one is just a “regular” watch, date and day. Love the ice blue dial. I’m not a Flava-flav kinda gal and the 40mm+ just seem too large.  Wish these models came in smaller sizes.  I want one for the outdoors and boating actually. Not surfing so much but sailing and cruising just enjoying my time on the water when I’m sporty spice.

076381C7-ACCB-42BD-85FD-3BF82A154994.jpeg

704AAB2A-5AF5-4C92-AE82-1F4E7B884F0B.jpeg

458C0374-D309-4B40-B442-D6039783BFA6.jpeg

3A9BCA51-102B-4CFC-9F29-97DB849FFBC0.jpeg

2BA7C3CF-222D-4C64-B2D1-89A8D0ED4B70.jpeg

20A914E4-916C-47AA-B836-DE6397B67311.jpeg

I love the style of some of the bigger omegas except their size - they seem like huge watches. 

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Might find more sports/dive watches in reasonable case size if you go to the vintage route. Chrono24 has food search tool with sizing info. Then slap a rubber strap on it.

though the current model yacht master is the tits

I’m super nervous about used/vintage. 

I’m about to fall in this hole ... First, ladies watches seem like the suck to me.  Really digging some of the seamasters (omega) and yacht-masters (rolex) - especially the 37mm yacht master - black dial is just so intense but that price tag is dumb for me.  Last one is just a “regular” watch, date and day. Love the ice blue dial. I’m not a Flava-flav kinda gal and the 40mm+ just seem too large.  Wish these models came in smaller sizes.  I want one for the outdoors and boating actually. Not surfing so much but sailing and cruising just enjoying my time on the water when I’m sporty spice.

076381C7-ACCB-42BD-85FD-3BF82A154994.thumb.jpeg.fbde6e7382953d6b831006e76aa00f78.jpeg
704AAB2A-5AF5-4C92-AE82-1F4E7B884F0B.thumb.jpeg.aca3499ddaee8c49d71bbc4f71311b9f.jpeg
458C0374-D309-4B40-B442-D6039783BFA6.thumb.jpeg.e661595d4eda3938102cc5693a39135b.jpeg
3A9BCA51-102B-4CFC-9F29-97DB849FFBC0.thumb.jpeg.a5486b0675cb44cb2cac432032bd347a.jpeg
2BA7C3CF-222D-4C64-B2D1-89A8D0ED4B70.thumb.jpeg.020d7ca1571c3289d754b158510f0098.jpeg
20A914E4-916C-47AA-B836-DE6397B67311.thumb.jpeg.635d02d24585f378b8bad1ba3b718525.jpeg

I love the style of some of the bigger omegas except their size - they seem like huge watches. 

A few years ago I got my wife an old mens air king and she loves it. Can’t remember but I think it’s from the 70s or 80’s so it’s little by today’s sizing standards. Not for everyone but she loves it.

8 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Our posts crossed. We’ve been lucky and have had no problems except for her husband dropping it in the security line at the airport and cracking the face.

I'm more nervous about fraud, I'm impulsive. I've been trying to do my research, read a lot of this thread and am currently looking at used inventory at authorized dealers.  not too keen on on line sales here, I get there are places you can probably trust.

other question - is 37mm to big?  I mean the 42mm and similar sizes are way to big for me.  but I can't tell if 37mm is ok.  seems like it might be.  I'm not petite, I'm proportional even if tall.  slender, wrist size is on the high side of average for women but still slender.  I'm hoping I can get away with 37mm.  dunno.  guess I need to go try them on, etc.  

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Might find more sports/dive watches in reasonable case size if you go to the vintage route. Chrono24 has food search tool with sizing info. Then slap a rubber strap on it.

though the current model yacht master is the tits

I prefer silicone strap on, oh wait.  got it. sorry.

yeah the yacht-master current design is the tits, like the most amazing tiddies around.  that black dial one is $23K brand new.  hahaha, yeah, no.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, troph said:

case in point, here's a women's yacht-master for sale on bob's....  nothing like the men's.  you guys lose on so much when it comes to fashion but watches you win hands down.

https://www.bobswatches.com/ladies-rolex/rolex-ladies-yacht-master-69623.html

zRolex-yacht-master-69623-138452.jpg

My only issue with yachtmaster is they seem too bezel dominant.  Seems disproportionate to my eye.  

Chrono24.com is where I haunt.   Looking submariner or GMT.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sam Lin said:

You need to go try some on before you narrow down any sizes. And be aware that due to lug styles and shapes as well as bezel design, they don't always look or wear like the size measurement implies.

I've got an email out to the local dealer, will head over there in the next week or two I'm sure.

A sub would probably fit you quite well. They are 40 but pretty thin for today’s standards. I have small wrists and the 40/41 is perfect for me.  I tried on an old tag awhile back for shits and grins that was 38 and just no way I could do it. If you think that yachtmaster is $$$, that day-date is in a whole other category.  

Funny but it appears we have VERY similar taste in watches.  I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on all of those except the second sea master (not my style on that one) and the day date (because that one I truly can’t swing)   I always chickened out and dumped the $$ into the kids 529s because I’m boring af. But over all that time I finally found the one I’m going to buy, the Sea Dweller 116600.  The last 40mm.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

A sub would probably fit you quite well. They are 40 but pretty thin for today’s standards. I have small wrists and the 40/41 is perfect for me.  I tried on an old tag awhile back for shits and grins that was 38 and just no way I could do it. If you think that yachtmaster is $$$, that day-date is in a whole other category.  

Funny but it appears we have VERY similar taste in watches.  I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on all of those except the second sea master (not my style on that one) and the day date (because that one I truly can’t swing)   I always chickened out and dumped the $$ into the kids 529s because I’m boring af. But over all that time I finally found the one I’m going to buy, the Sea Dweller 116600.  The last 40mm.  

I didn't check the price on the day-date I just like the look for a slightly fem side of masculine dress watch (sorry if that implicates you but I think you are pretty secure dude so not too worried).  think lawyer power suits, etc.  because if I'm on a date no way I'm wearing a heavy watch like that.

If I go with the omega that first seamaster is just the bomb-dot-com.  I'm currently trying to find budget I had for one watch to parlay into two - the omega first one (found one used) and a used yacht-master - there are some titty-bingo bitching 1999 ones that are slightly smaller but look similar to the current styles that I found.  I found the wrist simulator on chrono24 and 37 mm might work ok, slightly large but not crazy.

I'm about to get into some deep trouble I think.

sea dweller 116600 is a nice watch.

yacht-master 268655 37mm - shown above - black dial, black bezel, black leather band is probably one of the sexiest watches I have ever seen. freaking $26K sexy. o_O

just doubled checked the day-date... price on request. ha!

Edited by troph

11 minutes ago, troph said:

I didn't check the price on the day-date I just like the look for a slightly fem side of masculine dress watch (sorry if that implicates you but I think you are pretty secure dude so not too worried).  think lawyer power suits, etc.  because if I'm on a date no way I'm wearing a heavy watch like that.

Haha. No it’s a gorgeous piece. But 65k, let’s just say one day I hope I could afford it, but even if I had big $$ that would still be tough to justify.  A 30 second search looked like you could find the women’s model for upper 20’s.  

I know a guy with the black YM/silicon band and it looks good in person   That blue sea master is a great looking watch, they are kind of big tho (thick)  (I’m not certain how the women models fit, at all)    But yeah I’ve settled in on the seadweller and at some point, it will be mine.  I’ll say this, a lot of the smaller guys (proportionally little guys) I work with all seem to have subs   They fit well, are sporty, and are a classic.   But they may be too “regular” for some people  

eta - thoughts and prayers to your wallet

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dang I had no idea it was $65k.  Yeah no way.  Same ... even if I could afford it.  But my budget is 20-25% of that and that’s stretching it on the high end. I’m justifying it with the idea one of my sons will want it when I die - I have law books, I’ll have the watch, next I’ll just need a Randall knife to complete the trifecta. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

Dang I had no idea it was $65k.  Yeah no way.  Same ... even if I could afford it.  But my budget is 20-25% of that and that’s stretching it on the high end. I’m justifying it with the idea one of my sons will want it when I die - I have law books, I’ll have the watch, next I’ll just need a Randall knife to complete the trifecta. 

My father died when I was forty and I couldn't find a way to cry
Not because I didn't love him, not because he didn't try
Well, I'd cried for every lesser thing: whiskey, pain, and beauty
But he deserved a better tear and I was not quite ready
So we took his ashes out to sea and poured 'em off the stern
And then threw the roses in the wake of everything we'd learned
And when we got back to the house they asked me what I wanted
Not the law books, not the watch–I need the thing he's haunted
My hand burned for the Randall knife there in the bottom drawer
And I found a tear for my father's life and all that it stood for
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

I'm more nervous about fraud, I'm impulsive. I've been trying to do my research, read a lot of this thread and am currently looking at used inventory at authorized dealers.  not too keen on on line sales here, I get there are places you can probably trust.

other question - is 37mm to big?  I mean the 42mm and similar sizes are way to big for me.  but I can't tell if 37mm is ok.  seems like it might be.  I'm not petite, I'm proportional even if tall.  slender, wrist size is on the high side of average for women but still slender.  I'm hoping I can get away with 37mm.  dunno.  guess I need to go try them on, etc.  

1. chrono24 is mostly brick & mortar dealers, not privateers (though there are plenty of those in the rolex worl)

2. size and the wearability has to do with case height, lug shape, other design elements (domed vs flat face, bezel or not, etc), even strap vs bracelet selection.  37mm is rarely "too large" for adults though.

Agree with the above comments regarding lug and bezel size and how "big" the watch will look. Try a few on and see what works for you. Crown and Caliber is another trusted online used watch source. 

The 1st Seamaster you posted looks outstanding. 

Have you considered Grand Seiko? Thin bezels and smaller sizes are available across their lineup. 
Grand-Seiko-Heritage-SBGR253-10-10-GRS-PE6BYM-2682247212d9_1000x.thumb.jpg.d4351d95395829fa59454d1ef24a3eb0.jpg
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/products/grand-seiko-heritage-sbgr253-10-10-grs-pe6bym

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

1. chrono24 is mostly brick & mortar dealers, not privateers (though there are plenty of those in the rolex worl)

2. size and the wearability has to do with case height, lug shape, other design elements (domed vs flat face, bezel or not, etc), even strap vs bracelet selection.  37mm is rarely "too large" for adults though.

Very true about what makes a war fell large, thickness is definitely one of the top 3 reasons, 37 is really small, It's almost tiny by comparison to the size of so many watches today.  My first watch was a TAG F1 38 mm.  I still have it but never wear it any more because it feels so small on my wrist.  Most of what I wear is 42-44, with a couple of my pilots coming in at 47 mm.

Edited by Onboard 2.0