The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 6/11/2021 at 2:49 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I understand scarcity and elastic pricing.  What I’m saying is what is causing the drop in supply? 

Wife has been chasing a purple face 31mm DateJust for a while now. The local watch place she has been working with said Rolex produced 140k fewer watches in 2020 than normal because they shut production down thinking Corona was going to kill luxury spending. They didn’t plan for the government throwing money around like drunken sailors. They said it is probably going to take them 2-3 years to get caught back up. I assume most of the high ends are in the same boat although they are definitely worse off it seems. We’ve been in stores in Memphis, Nashville, Chicago, and Naples in the last month and you’re only going to find 3-4 Rolexes at most in a store and it’s typically a variety that isn’t all that desirable. Omegas seem to have plenty of product on the floors right now with Panerai, Breitling, etc all having decent inventory. I hope this doesn’t turn into a habit like purses have, I may go broke.

I’m hung up on Seamaster Aqua Terra at the moment. The simplicity of the dial setup has caught my attention and I think I’m going to grab one. I don’t like a lot of stuff going on and want something simple and that or the white faced Master Coaxial seems like the best fit.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

If she’s like me you’re proper fucked. Just trade blow jobs for watches and you’ll be a happy man. 

I’m not falling for that shit again or I need a signed contract this time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/16/2021 at 3:16 PM, Superhero said:

I suppose my priority is to fix up the house and save for retirement. I can probably count on one hand the things I bought for myself that cost more than $1K, and that includes 3 cars.

Nicest watch I have is a Speedmaster that I bought used a few years ago. I love it, but it barely gets wrist time because it's fragile compared to the Seiko tank diver I bought last year. 

Luckily I have a wife who has no such qualms about spending money on herself.

I like nice watches, but also look at them as an investment or something to hand down. Properly cared for, They won't loose value other than a few that I took a flyer on but didn't cost a ton. I really appreciate the craftsman ship in them, and I guarantee, if I had to liquidate my collection today, I would get out more than I've put in or damn close to it. I've only bought one brand new watch, a Sinn 956, but even that one is somewhat rare and I bet I could sell it for more than I paid. I don't intend to sell them, but it is nice to know that if I had to, I've got a watch collection I could get close to $20K out of. 

On 6/16/2021 at 4:16 PM, Superhero said:

I suppose my priority is to fix up the house and save for retirement. I can probably count on one hand the things I bought for myself that cost more than $1K, and that includes 3 cars.

Nicest watch I have is a Speedmaster that I bought used a few years ago. I love it, but it barely gets wrist time because it's fragile compared to the Seiko tank diver I bought last year. 

Luckily I have a wife who has no such qualms about spending money on herself.

No shit?

Since the pandemic hit I have worn my Tudor Pelagos 99% of the time due to durability.

Takes a lickin and all that.

Now that things are loosening up I am getting that old itch.

Would love omega AT. Need to see if I still love that “golf” version in person.

Also wife wants a new Cartier Ballon Bleu 36. Let’s buy some watches!

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The blue is too shiny for you, but you like it best ?  Blue is the one watch color I don't have currently. Had a Sinn Regulateur that was blue, but sold it several years ago.

JT method isnt the label in order of preference?

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Don't know.

I don't know which I like better.  Dig the blue, but do wish it was a bit flatter in sheen.

This is shaggy 101 (maybe HF 101, can’t remember how far back it goes.) JT method tells you which one you like best so 3rd watch, 1st watch, 2nd watch in that order. Randy method is the standard method that makes sense to normal people.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brew said:

This is shaggy 101 (maybe HF 101, can’t remember how far back it goes.) JT method tells you which one you like best so 3rd watch, 1st watch, 2nd watch in that order. Randy method is the standard method that makes sense to normal people.

Looks like math, no bueno.   I just like the pretty watches.  Some more than others.

I love that first GO

Also regarding text on the face I hate the new pelagos but I want the in house movement

What I REALLY want is the new movement inside my older case/dial. Wonder if that’s possible.

70 hours is sexy. And here I am with 46 like a total puss

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Worked a lot lately so decided to reward myself when I was bored last night so texted my watch dude and picked this up this morning.  Love it for an every day, not flashy and don't care if you beat it up kinda watch.  

IMG_0080.jpeg

Love the watch, but I'd for damn sure be concerned about beating an IWC product up. I'm not beating up any watch that's more than couple hundred bucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Worked a lot lately so decided to reward myself when I was bored last night so texted my watch dude and picked this up this morning.  Love it for an every day, not flashy and don't care if you beat it up kinda watch.  

IMG_0080.jpeg

Love the watch, but I'd for damn sure be concerned about beating up an IWC product. I'm not beating up any watch that's more than couple hundred bucks.

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Love the watch, but I'd for damn sure be concerned about beating up an IWC product. I'm not beating up any watch that's more than couple hundred bucks.

I think there's a middle ground here. My IWC  Spitfire was my every day watch for a couple years and its got the dings and nicks to prove it. A watch that gets worn every day is going to show wear and tear. Do I wish it was perfect, sure, but I also want to wear the watches I but and that's part of the cost of ownership. That said, if I know I'm going to the beach or doing some repair work around the house, I'd switch to something cheaper. No reason to take the additional risk. Feel the same with my Speedmaster now. It gets worn most days but I'll switch it out for something else depending on what's going on. His IWC isn't a beater, but it is an every day watch that's going to get some bumps and bruises. Sounds like he's ok with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

I think there's a middle ground here. My IWC  Spitfire was my every day watch for a couple years and its got the dings and nicks to prove it. A watch that gets worn every day is going to show wear and tear. Do I wish it was perfect, sure, but I also want to wear the watches I but and that's part of the cost of ownership. That said, if I know I'm going to the beach or doing some repair work around the house, I'd switch to something cheaper. No reason to take the additional risk. Feel the same with my Speedmaster now. It gets worn most days but I'll switch it out for something else depending on what's going on. His IWC isn't a beater, but it is an every day watch that's going to get some bumps and bruises. Sounds like he's ok with that.

And he slipped in a humble brag by catching the edge of the Porsche steering wheel in the pic.

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

That's kinda what I mean.  I am not going to wear it to go dig ditches or anything.  But, without trying to sound like a pompous dick, it's not the same as my others.  My dumbass was wearing another IWC that has a braided band that I didn't think about taking off before I started changing some brake pads, nicked the band and had to replace it.  

1 hour ago, 66BUFF said:

And he slipped in a humble brag by catching the edge of the Porsche steering wheel in the pic.

Hah, pretty sure anyone that has seen me post in the car fanatic thread knows I like Porsche's. But, I did slip that in there to send to my watch guy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That's kinda what I mean.  I am not going to wear it to go dig ditches or anything.  But, without trying to sound like a pompous dick, it's not the same as my others.  My dumbass was wearing another IWC that has a braided band that I didn't think about taking off before I started changing some brake pads, nicked the band and had to replace it.  

Hah, pretty sure anyone that has seen me post in the car fanatic thread knows I like Porsche's. But, I did slip that in there to send to my watch guy.

I got in the habit long ago if Im doing anything manual work related with my hands the watch comes off, and gets set somewhere safe.  Many of my watches get a ding here, and there eventually.

once you see beat up vintage rolexes go for 5, 6, and sometimes even 7 figures in auctions... kinda makes ya realize that your 4 figure watch isnt precious enough to keep in mint condition.  just take pride in wearing it in.  its no concours-car.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

I literally do this with my Overseas. Watches are made to be worn.

I get it. Not the same category but got a submariner at 25 and only took it off for wakeboarding until about 30. That watch was beat to shit.  Finally retired it, got it refurbished (which I think cost more than the watch did originally).  Now it just sits and spins waiting for when little racer is old enough. /CSB

• 2 weeks later...