The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

26 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Gotdamnit. I’m looking for a $500 or less watch for the boy who likes watches but knows nothing and only has a cheap Bulova. New or easily obtainable used since his bday is early August.

Check put the Spinnaker brand. A great value for the fit, finish, and design. They have several in the $500 range or less.

Does anyone have experience with IW Mark in Houston? They are the closest Zenith AD to Austin and I want to go by to see the new Chronomaster Original this week.

I emailed them to ask if they had any in stock and they said they have two, one 42mm and one 37mm. There is only one size, a 38mm (which it has been for 50+ years mind you).

I don’t know shit about watches relative to you guys, but how could the AD not know their brand’s newest release? I want to see it on the wrist before buying. I can only assume they do not have one since they don’t know WTF I am talking about.

5 hours ago, Austinvines said:

Gotdamnit. I’m looking for a $500 or less watch for the boy who likes watches but knows nothing and only has a cheap Bulova. New or easily obtainable used since his bday is early August.

Not sure what he likes about watches, if it's just a cosmetic accessory, or a value thing, or the mechanics, or history, etc.

But if he likes mechanics and history and watchmaking significance, look at any Seiko with the Seiko 5 movement - they come in all sorts of different aesthetics from dress to dive watch, the movement is an old reliable stalwart and is iconic. Specific to a dive watch style, look at any Seiko Monster, there is a whole section of watch collection just dedicated to the Monster.

For watchmaking (and I'll almost recategorize it as "watch manufacturing") significance, look at the Swatch Sistem51 lineup. Sistem51 takes movement manufacture, what has always been the area of watchmaking that most required human care, and automated it, with surprisingly good performance.

If he likes mechanics, look at the Tissot (also Swatch family) Powermatic movement. 80hr reserve in a "budget" watch is quite unique, and is not easily done at any price point. There is a lot of movement engineering required to do this accurately and with good lifespan.

If you want to keep it in the Bulova family, the Precisionist/Accutron line of HAQ (high accuracy quartz) is not a pure mechanical watch but is absolutely a noteworthy engineering achievement, especially at its price point. I think the current lineup is out of budget, but a used one or an old stock new one should come in under budget.

And if he just wants a tool that works, look at Casio G-Shock. They've now grown to be all sorts of styles at all sorts of prices, and have built up a respected reputation, even among watch nerds. For a non-watch-nerd, this may actually be the 'coolest' option.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, HoustonHorn said:

I think there's a middle ground here. My IWC  Spitfire was my every day watch for a couple years and its got the dings and nicks to prove it. A watch that gets worn every day is going to show wear and tear. Do I wish it was perfect, sure, but I also want to wear the watches I but and that's part of the cost of ownership. That said, if I know I'm going to the beach or doing some repair work around the house, I'd switch to something cheaper. No reason to take the additional risk. Feel the same with my Speedmaster now. It gets worn most days but I'll switch it out for something else depending on what's going on. His IWC isn't a beater, but it is an every day watch that's going to get some bumps and bruises. Sounds like he's ok with that.

Just catching up on this.

I have taken to wearing my Pelagos almost exclusively because it doesn't get nicks and scratches (titanium).  After having Rolex and IWC daily wear watches and getting them banged up it is nice to not have to worry at all.  I still wear a Seiko on rubber strap for water sports and I have leather strap for those occasions but otherwise its the Tudor.

23 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Does anyone have experience with IW Mark in Houston? They are the closest Zenith AD to Austin and I want to go by to see the new Chronomaster Original this week.

I emailed them to ask if they had any in stock and they said they have two, one 42mm and one 37mm. There is only one size, a 38mm (which it has been for 50+ years mind you).

I don’t know shit about watches relative to you guys, but how could the AD not know their brand’s newest release? I want to see it on the wrist before buying. I can only assume they do not have one since they don’t know WTF I am talking about.

I bet they are confusing the Chronomaster Sport (41mm) with the Original (38mm). 

If you are keeping it forever, fine. But I agree about buying a new Zenith. The value drop likes a rock so negotiate a good discount. 

That is about one of THE coolest manufacturing processes to watch IMO, thanks for the post.

I have to ask, why ?  Tissot retails for $300 ?  Is that close ?  They spent more than that taking it apart, cleaning, polishing, and replacing parts, didn't they ? 

It's got a certain "Tissot takes a licking, and still keeps on ticking...... once you've taken it apart, cleaned it, and re assembled it" vibe.

That Timex commercial was one of childhood favorites, and is part of why I love watches.  Cameran was always subjecting watches, and the poor schlubs wearing 'em to some cool "dangerous" event: shark feeding in the Azores, demolition derby crashes, or Acapulco cliff diving crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for thoughts on the Parmagiani Tonda. Interested in an integrated bracelet but perhaps a bit off the beaten path. Other options might be the Alpine Eagle (like it but is a bit of a RO Nautilus mashup) or a Laureato (but I’ve got another GP and think I’d like to branch out). Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. 

E4157970-893B-4512-A88B-D1724036700C.jpeg

7AD5F3DF-E813-47B4-B297-0068460B9302.jpeg

DD2400C9-EAB6-4CA2-A324-9C07BAC9BB12.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

They’re a relatively young brand but a fully integrated manufacturer. 

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/resources/history-parmigiani-fleurier.html

The Origins Of Parmigiani Fleurier

In the mid-1970s, smack in the middle of the Quartz Crisis, a young watchmaker named Michel Parmigiani opened a workshop to restore antique and vintage timepieces. His reputation quickly gained him an illustrious list of clients including Patek Philippe (who entrusted Michel Parmigiani to restore important pieces for its museum), Breguet, Vacheron Constantin, and others. 

Another one of Michel Parmigiani’s customers included the Sandoz Family Foundation (of Novartis Pharmaceuticals fame), founded by sculptor Edouard-Marcel Sandoz as an institution to promote Swiss entrepreneurship. The watch restorer was tasked to maintain the foundation’s large collection of clocks and automata. 

This encounter proved to be significant, as it was due to the Sandoz Family Foundation’s encouragement and investment dollars that paved the way for the birth of the Parmigiani Fleurier brand in 1996. Fleurier is a small town in Switzerland where the brand is headquartered. 

10 hours ago, brown water said:

Looking for thoughts on the Parmagiani Tonda. Interested in an integrated bracelet but perhaps a bit off the beaten path. Other options might be the Alpine Eagle (like it but is a bit of a RO Nautilus mashup) or a Laureato (but I’ve got another GP and think I’d like to branch out). Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. 

E4157970-893B-4512-A88B-D1724036700C.jpeg

Fucking yes, take the rep. Should have known a man who can cook steak like yours would have refined taste. Never expected to see someone mention Parmigiani on here. That said, resale kind of sucks, if that's a concern.

• Hook 'Em 1

hello watch enthusiasts, i am not well versed in your ways as i am a mere caveman.

i am getting a meaningful gift for someone who does have what i would call a strong interest in watches but is not a fanatic that spends millions on pp's and jlcs.  being that i am not as familiar, i was curious what the consensus amongst those of you that are enthusiasts about where in the pecking order Stowa watches live.  specifically, the antea.  obviously, it is not priced like a patek or rolex, but are they considered to be solid quality, respected watches?  i do recognize that this is a highly subjective question of taste like all watches, but it appears they have a pretty solid overall reputation, right?

analogies to cars or college football team pecking order would be understood and appreciated.

thanks, much!

On 8/10/2021 at 12:44 PM, sidis said:

hello watch enthusiasts, i am not well versed in your ways as i am a mere caveman.

i am getting a meaningful gift for someone who does have what i would call a strong interest in watches but is not a fanatic that spends millions on pp's and jlcs.  being that i am not as familiar, i was curious what the consensus amongst those of you that are enthusiasts about where in the pecking order Stowa watches live.  specifically, the antea.  obviously, it is not priced like a patek or rolex, but are they considered to be solid quality, respected watches?  i do recognize that this is a highly subjective question of taste like all watches, but it appears they have a pretty solid overall reputation, right?

analogies to cars or college football team pecking order would be understood and appreciated.

thanks, much!

Always gonna be my favorite…

269B21F4-F234-4EDA-84DA-E8F174F2B388.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 1:29 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Anyone know this watch make / brand ? (Is it something high end?)

621F911F-6BE4-4EB4-8254-44A544C7BA3F.thumb.jpeg.6ee6c4d17c5d048fc19b1aced6d696f7.jpeg

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

You want to fill us in on why you’re posting these?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Are typical watch manufacturers taking a hit with smart watches currently?

Or are makers like seiko and omega and Rolex getting on board with apple?

My guess is that smartwatches are fucking up the lower end of the watch market pretty bad. Citizen, Bulova, Fossil, fashion brands, that kind of stuff. Basically, anything sold at Macy's.

Someone who's in the market for a Rolex or Omega though probably isn't going to buy an Apple watch instead.

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Rolex has gone way the fuck up over the last 18 months or so, at least it seems as I casually follow their pricing.  Doubt their worried about the smart watch buyer. 

They produced less than 40% of their normal volume last year which combined with demand through the roof has created a major Rolex shortage and increasing prices. My wife has been chasing a particular one for 9+ months with stops in 6-8 stores in multiple cities. The inventory has dropped over that period to the point where you may see 1-2 watches in store at most. She finally found one that was close enough last month in Naples and bought it. The sales people think it will be 2-3 years before it starts to catch back up. I haven’t seen any other watch manufacturer with that level of problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

They produced less than 40% of their normal volume last year which combined with demand through the roof has created a major Rolex shortage and increasing prices. My wife has been chasing a particular one for 9+ months with stops in 6-8 stores in multiple cities. The inventory has dropped over that period to the point where you may see 1-2 watches in store at most. She finally found one that was close enough last month in Naples and bought it. The sales people think it will be 2-3 years before it starts to catch back up. I haven’t seen any other watch manufacturer with that level of problem.
Rolex has been artificially creating supply shortages for years, especially on their sport models. They could easily produce enough watches to satisfy demand, but they don't want to. Also, watch sales people don't know shit about the watches they are selling much less about the supply and demand economics of the watch industry. Wonder what other bullshit they fed your wife to make a sale.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

which model ?

6 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Rolex has been artificially creating supply shortages for years, especially on their sport models. They could easily produce enough watches to satisfy demand, but they don't want to. Also, watch sales people don't know shit about the watches they are selling much less about the supply and demand economics of the watch industry. Wonder what other bullshit they fed your wife to make a sale.

Story was the same across multiple stores, so at least the company pitch has been rehearsed. Pretty sure the drop in production has also been widely discussed because of their shutdowns and material shortages and lines up with plenty of other manufacturers out there. Does not make me a whole lot of difference whether it was all company line bullshit or not, just passing along what multiple sales people said about 2020 production and what they were seeing on demand.