The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

just wear the rolex imo

15 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

agreed

4 hours ago, G650 said:

I actually like Tag, but that is not an attractive watch.

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

itd probably be considered very cool.  if this was 1986

Thanks for the feedback guys. Agree, I like the Rolex better. The Tag was my dad's, so I wear it on certain occasions and for sentimental reasons.

I've got a few more that I'll try and post that also probably didn't hold up too well looks/fashion wise.

Edited by irockalltherocks

After a year of procrastinating, I took my old Seamaster in for service and to figure out why it was running way fast.  I was planning to take it to a better known jeweler in town, but at the last minute, I read some reviews of and called a small shop near my office downtown.  The guy talked my ear off for about 10 minutes on the phone, and it was obvious he had forgotten more about watches than I would ever know.  He told me that with old watches, sometimes, depending on what they were worth, the were not worth servicing and he would look at it beforehand to make that determination.  I spent about 20 minutes going crosseyed listening to this guy tell me every little thing about this 60 year old watch, but in the end, he said it would need service, adjustment, and a new screw because the seal on the original screw was kaput and letting all sorts of dust in.  He showed me all of this on what appeared to be a telephoto lens hooked up to a monitor.  Depending what a comparably sized screw will go for (he will call me before ordering), I may only be looking at a bit over $200 for this, which seems super reasonable based on what I have read.

If this works out well, I'm really excited to have found someone locally (smaller city population less than 100,000), who knows his shit, and who is not priced through the roof.   Also looking forward to getting the Seamaster back into rotation.

6 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I asked on the old site for a recommendation for a shop in Houston to work on an old Acutron. It was my grandfathers and then my fathers watch.

Have you tried the Little Watch Shop on Shepherd?

12 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I asked on the old site for a recommendation for a shop in Houston to work on an old Acutron. It was my grandfathers and then my fathers watch.

I am also interested in this. I am in DFW, but my FIL's 80th birthday is coming up and I would love to get his old Acutron back in action for him. I'll look into Little Watch Shop. If anyone else has a recommendation, I would appreciate it. 

Ok, I've been buying watches for about a year now and am pretty happy with the rotation. I dont have much use for a chrono and don't want to worry about upkeep on a nice auto chrono. Will probably buy a 38mm Dan Henry chronograph just to fill that hole in the collection. What should I check out next though? I'm thinking maybe a Stowa Flieger hand wound, but nothing else is really jumping out to me lately. I like to stay in the $500-1500 range. Any suggestions or do I need to take this to the non-existent surly poors watch thread?

Here is the current rotation/collection (minus a few I don't really wear).
d096763dc992f25a2e6b33593c428c61.jpg

• Like 3